PacketFlow - For Ashita and Windower
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Yottaxa
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Yottaxa
By Asura.Yottaxa 2022-06-29 05:44:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The official ama post just added this? It wasn't originally answered correct?
Ama offical post…

Quote:
The game was designed for 56k modems, with a peak download bandwidth requirement of about 6kb/s (2.5kb packets every 400ms). Modern internet connections have much higher bandwidths. What prevents you from modestly increasing the bitrate to provide a more responsive experience?

A: The packet data sent and received by FFXI is very small, and the game is structured in such a way that increasing the amount of data wouldn't do much for the game. So rather than being unable to do so, it's more accurate to say that it'd be a meaningless change. If you're referring to the network delay, I believe that tends to be more noticeable on Worlds with higher server loads, and would ask that you consider playing on another World

Boy are they like dead wrong about it being a meaningless change? It almost sounds like they can change it and dont think it matters?
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-06-29 06:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It definitely wasn't originally answered, we waited a week after the AMA to see if they said anything that would imply this could cause negative impact to them.

I would just assume they don't really have any idea the deeper impacts of the change, and wanted an easy way to say no.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-06-29 06:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a longer version of "ps2 limitations" aka; "we simply don't feel like it. Stop asking us to do stuff and be grateful you get anything, peasant."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-06-29 06:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
I would just assume they don't really have any idea the deeper impacts of the change, and wanted an easy way to say no.

Yeah, this reads like the FFXI network system is spooky code for the current team.

Err... they did reply to my prioritization question but they asked me for more examples. I have no idea how to reply to them. The thread is closed. I guess I'll wait for them to maybe cross-post this on the reddit thread?
By Mystil 2022-06-29 07:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Where can i download this for windower? thanks
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2022-06-29 08:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »

Yeah, this reads like the FFXI network system is spooky code for the current team.

Err... they did reply to my prioritization question but they asked me for more examples. I have no idea how to reply to them. The thread is closed. I guess I'll wait for them to maybe cross-post this on the reddit thread?

They likely have no idea that the prioritization is working in reverse or how any of the netcode works in the first place. It's one of those things that most treat as "set and forget".
 Asura.Daleterrence
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2022-06-29 09:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

ryukin182 said: »
GwenStacy said: »
so has anyone been banned for this yet
Been using it since it released. No bans on any character

Been full-timing it also since release and not been bonked as of yet
 Asura.Neviskio
user: Neviskio
By Asura.Neviskio 2022-06-29 09:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

could be worth opening a tread in the official forums with a catchy title in reference to their request, maybe also cheekily try to casually mention the improvements of this? They did say in the ama they monitor the OF, not much of a loss to try I suppose.
By RadialArcana 2022-06-29 09:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Send them a private message on reddit maybe, you'll be messaging the community team but they can pass it on if they see it.

https://www.reddit.com/user/FFXI_DevelopmentTeam
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-06-29 10:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Maintaining and making major changes to legacy code can be scary, especially for something like this. You've got to remember most of this code was probably written or started 20-25 years ago, most of the engineers that worked on it are going to be at least in their mid 40s or early 50s, likely having long since moved on or up. My experience being that it's not uncommon even among large organizations for there to be maybe be 1 or 2 people left with any faint memory of how it works, that's if anyone even knows where the code is to begin with (doubt that is an issue here).

There is also the possibility that they don't own or didn't write all of the code themselves, if they are using libraries from another source then it's possible they don't have visibility into everything it is doing and lack the ability/staff/funding to figure it out. It seems unlikely, but it is possible another group within SE wrote it and they are just consumers of it, although recent changes to the way items are loaded would point to this not being the case, at least in part. Things like this are often why reverse engineers have better visibility and understanding into how things work compared to the actual developer, but especially with old/legacy code.

Unless they have someone that knows the ins and outs of it or is capable of looking at it to find all the possible corner cases where it could break, it's just easier and safer for them to say no and move on.
[+]
 Bahamut.Balduran
Server: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2022-06-29 17:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

Send them a private message on reddit maybe, you'll be messaging the community team but they can pass it on if they see it.

https://www.reddit.com/user/FFXI_DevelopmentTeam

Okieeeomi and Psyseeker are live on twitch right now, maybe a good idea to drop them a note they can pass to the AMA team?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-06-30 07:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try a reddit DM and move to other methods if I get no response after a few days.
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-04 19:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello,

How does one obtain PacketFlow? I checked github and couldn't find it.

I already tired: Go to Windower's app with the 3 tabs, choose the plugins tab,on your keyboard: ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA

I know I figured it out once because I have Bidder (ah, obox, dbox) and JaZero. Guess you have to do it again after they add a new hidden plugin.

I did NOTICE the list moving as I did the ↑↑↓↓ maybe they should or maybe not, which? Bottom line: What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so very much in advance for your help.

Here's a real cheat --- can someone send me the DDL, please? Thanks.
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2022-07-04 19:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

windower client, plugin tab, press konami code, and it'll show up
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-04 19:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aburaage said: »
windower client, plugin tab, press konami code, and it'll show up

I tried that and PacketFlow didn't show up. I've been successful in the past, as I have Bidder and JaZero.

Thanks for your reply and hopefully an idea on what I did wrong.
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-04 19:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like I'm insane doing the same ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA on my keyboard on the Plugins tab and expecting it to work. Isn't there something about doing the same thing time and time again and expecting a different result being the sign of insanity?

I don't mind it being complex. I do mind when it doesn't work, but it must be something I'm doing wrong - but what?

Up Arrow
Up Arrow
Down Arrow
Down Arrow
Left Arrow
Right Arrow
Left Arrow
Left Arrow
Capital B
Capital A

Right?
 Lakshmi.Zaps
user: Zaps
By Lakshmi.Zaps 2022-07-04 19:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

hit enter at the end, caps don't matter, and hitting caps lock probably breaks it
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-04 19:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zaps said: »
hit enter at the end, caps don't matter, and hitting caps lock probably breaks it

THANK YOU it worked! I used lower case b and a

Thus what I'm seeing is people have been giving the wrong code because at a minimum they don't tell us about the enter key.

Thus the correct code (at least the one that worked for me - Thank you to "Lakshmi.Zaps") is:

From the Plugins tab of the Windower program:

↑↑↓↓←→←→ba enter key
No space between "ba" and enter key.

Up Arrow
Up Arrow
Down Arrow
Down Arrow
Left Arrow
Right Arrow
Left Arrow
Left Arrow
lower case b
lower case a
enter key

At least it worked for me.

Question: Is there a symbol for the enter key?
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-04 19:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Question: Now that I have PacketFlow installed - thank you to everyone who helped! Are there any commands / options / etc for it?

I did look for any additional files (e.g. Readme, settings, etc) but only the DLL came down with it.
 Asura.Raelia
user: Raelia
By Asura.Raelia 2022-07-04 23:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a config file with one option for whether to enable it everywhere instead of just the bugged laggy instances.
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-05 00:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Raelia said: »
There's a config file with one option for whether to enable it everywhere instead of just the bugged laggy instances.
COOL / GREAT! Where do I learn more about it? Thank you for replying! :)
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2022-07-05 10:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

IBHalliwell said: »
Where do I learn more about it?
You can change the plugin to run all the time, by default for windower it only runs in instances.
Nothing else to learn.
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-06 14:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
Where do I learn more about it?
You can change the plugin to run all the time, by default for windower it only runs in instances.
Nothing else to learn.

OK. How do I change it to run all the time? In what instances does it run by default? I can't find any documentation (easily). Is the documentation in this very long thread? If yes, where might I find it?

Thank you.
By GetHelpNerd 2022-07-06 14:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/56713/packetflow-for-ashita-and-windower#3627230

windower > plugins > settings
 Asura.Bippin
By Asura.Bippin 2022-07-06 14:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How do I change it to run all the time?
Have you opened the setting file...

In what instances does it run by default?
I would assume Dynamis D, Ody and maybe Ambu but I don't know.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-07-06 14:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It runs in all layered zones (Dynamis D, Ambuscade, Meebles, MMM, Campaign Ops, Assault, Odyssey, etc.)
[+]
By DaneBlood 2022-07-06 14:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It runs in all layered zones (Dynamis D, Ambuscade, Meebles, MMM, Campaign Ops, Assault, Odyssey, etc.)

out of extreme curiosity.
Is this hardcoded for each zone or can it autodetect zones that are instanced ?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-07-06 15:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It is just a list of all the zone IDs that those events use, which are never reused for non-layered content.
[+]
Guildwork Premium
By IBHalliwell 2022-07-07 15:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bippin said: »
How do I change it to run all the time?
Have you opened the setting file...

In what instances does it run by default?
I would assume Dynamis D, Ody and maybe Ambu but I don't know.

Yes, I have Settings.xml open. Mine has as its content:

<settings>
<global>
<instancesOnly>true</instancesOnly>
</global>
</settings>

I would change "true" to "false," correct? To make sure I understand it: Changing to false would me it would run everywhere and not just the specifically coded zones, right?

Thank you for your reply and help.
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
By Asura.Bippin 2022-07-07 15:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I would change "true" to "false," correct?
Yes
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7