Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Foil potency and decay testing
Foil potency and decay testing
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2022-05-19 18:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr: Data seems to show that Foil decays about 3 evasion every tick starting at 150 evasion. This evasion only applies vs mob TP moves and is not visible in /checkparam.

Data (first 3 columns, they are time in seconds since cast, hit/miss and the message ID of the attack): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/783509444595023902/976984027028418570/excel_abuse.xls

addon used to gather data for columns A/B/C:
https://pastebin.com/v4RXsrhS

Setup:
Tested with mastered RUN (0 ML) with enhancing skill of 440 with gear adjusted to have an approximately 89% hit rate from Jump from an orc named Draketrader Zlodgodd in La Vaule. Empty slots were required to do this, so my effective ilvl was 113. Enhancing Magic Duration+ was 65% total (including job points).

Draketrader Zlodgodd was level 83 every time I pulled it (At least, that's what the widescan packet claims.)

The testing pretty much was just recast foil before it ran out and just collect samples for an excruciatingly long period of time. The addon above was used to mark the local unix time of when I gained foil, and to log the delta time between when I gained foil and when one of the 2 jump TP moves hit me. Gear was never swapped.

Now onto the good heavily mathy stuff:

I normalized the data into ticks (delta time of 0-2 = tick 1, delta time of 3-5 = tick 2, etc)

You can see there's a very nice correlation line there:

so I truncated it to 4 ticks and mspainted it from zero...

1 acc = 0.5% evasion, so it looks like Foil loses about 3 evasion/tick.

there's about 4 ticks worth of floored evasion so:
89%-20% = X (acc delta to floor)
X + 1.5% * 4 = 75% = 150 evasion at delta tick 0.

Of note, the decay lower limit is not yet reachable as of this JP devpost:

RDM will probably change that. I also do not know if there are any "tiers" to Foil, I just dont have enough gear to do that. When Foil is usable as /RUN we will probably know very quickly if this test is repeated on a job that doesn't have Enhancing Magic natively.

Any feedback on the data interpretation? Thanks.
[+]
By Hopalong 2022-05-19 20:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Anecdotal: I've never really noticed any evasion etc from foil, just use it for enmity. Seems like all mobs ws hit me, never seen one miss regularly with foil and been like, wow, foil is working well! Personlly, I think its broken, as in, doesn't actually work against ws.

What is your correlation line representing... is it evasion against enemy weaponskills?

What percentage against enemy weaponskills is your data showing, and I bet it floors against higher level target, or is there data to not suggest that something maybe your testing already shows.

EDIT: One reason for not noticing evasion on run is that tanking a high enemy floors evasion and it would never be noticeable. I was gearing run for PDT/MDT/DD/MDB etc not even thinking about evasion.
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2022-05-19 20:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The correlation line is indicating that as time goes on, Draketrader Zloddgod's Jumps tend to hit more through Foil's decay (the description of the buff in the buff bar and the JP dev post indicate foil decays and testing proves that)

Quote:
What percentage against enemy weaponskills is your data showing
100%. every single datapoint is gathered against the Jump ability used by Draketrader Zlodgodd. The hit/miss of Jump was recorded through packets.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-05-19 21:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice testing!

I generally agree with Hopalong wrt it not seeming to matter in events, and even if it did matter you would be occasionally evading 25% damage TP moves, but it is nice to figure out what it does at least!
By SimonSes 2022-05-20 01:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, because I think I remember someone not so long ago was claiming that Foil works for normal hits too, not only WSs.
 Ragnarok.Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2022-05-20 01:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Interesting, because I think I remember someone not so long ago was claiming that Foil works for normal hits too, not only WSs.
I have not tested that specifically, but I assume that would be normal evasion visible with /checkparam. The description of Foil on the spell menu in game says "Enhances evasion against special attacks.", so we have no reason to believe it would work on normal hits by that... unless it's broken and also works due to spaghetti code. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.
By SimonSes 2022-05-20 01:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I could remember it wrong :) Just woke up :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [381 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2023-06-05 11:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just curious, has anyone ever tested whether Foil enmity is split between targets?

Example: If I tag 10 mobs then foil will the enmity I generate from foil be split across the mobs versus if I'm only on one mobs hate list?

I'm assuming the answer is it's not split but I'd prefer actual evidence rather than assumption if someone has actually verified this.

I tried looking around but couldn't find anything verified.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2023-06-05 14:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello said: »
I'm just curious, has anyone ever tested whether Foil enmity is split between targets?

Example: If I tag 10 mobs then foil will the enmity I generate from foil be split across the mobs versus if I'm only on one mobs hate list?

I'm assuming the answer is it's not split but I'd prefer actual evidence rather than assumption if someone has actually verified this.

I tried looking around but couldn't find anything verified.

AFAIK the only split enmity confirmed was from Cures tested and confirmed by Martel a handful of years ago. Foil appears to apply to every target without splitting.
[+]