Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Rune Enhancement damage formula testing
Rune Enhancement damage formula testing
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2022-04-03 20:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've been collecting data for Rune Enhancement damage to try to figure out the formula for it and I'd like some more eyes to check out the interpretation of the data.
Spreadsheet here (ods format for Libreoffice)

Credits so far:
TheFoxDanger has also helped out and verified some data independently

In the spreadsheet, each sheet has the data collected in the A column. These samples were obtained through the parse addon using it's logging feature.

Rune Enhancement seems to directly use the derived DPS (in case of Dual Wield and H2H, both delays without Martial Arts/DW -- 240 delay per first or both weapons delay added together) with a cap of 21 DPS.

There is an oddity in the data that I can't quite pin down without starting to think if the random number generator on FFXI's servers are doing things I don't understand, particularly with Kaskara on 1x rune having a range 1 lower than the estimated minimum but only at 3% of the time.

Some misc things I tested:
Main job/sub job of RUN does not effect the damage in any way, even on multiple runes.
MAB does not appear to effect Rune Enhancement damage.
Day/Weather procs work.
Elemental MAB (archon/pixie) was tested and does work.
The last rune used if 3 non-duplicate runes is the enspell element.

All data was gathered on Sky Elementals with their weak element rune (e.g. gelus vs wind elemental) on neutral day/weather. The elementals do not have SDT and the numbers line up on any particular random mob I choose without shell.

Based on the data it seems the enspell damage range is

1 rune:
(Base DPS * 0.97) through (Base DPS * 1.3)

2 runes of the same element:
(Base DPS* 1.4) through (Base DPS * 1.7)

3 runes of the same element:
(Base DPS * 1.9) through (Base DPS * 2.2)

where Base DPS seems to be derived as follows

1H/2H:
(DMG*60)/Delay.

H2H:
((DMG+3)*60)/(Delay+240)

Dual Wield:
((DMG of weapon 1 + DMG of weapon 2) *60)/(Delay of weapon 1 + Delay of weapon 2)/2 Corrected, see below post.

Base damage seems to round the second decimal place (e.g. 10.019 rounds to 10.02). Of note, the .DATs actually seem to have DPS baked into the item data. POL utils converts an integer from the .DAT into a floating point, though they can be calculated with DMG & Delay. I assume this might be used on the FFXI server end for quicker lookups for if/when anything actually uses DPS.

H2H DMG +3 is the base damage of 0 H2H skill. Skill+ is not taken into account for DPS purposes. This is corroborated by the .DAT DPS values for each item.

I am a bit suspect of the lower bounds of the single rune. I may retake the data for Kaskara just to make sure I didn't accidentally get weather procs to reduce the damage. Sky does have Wind weather and I occasionally pulled data with earth runes.

Thanks for reading!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2022-04-11 23:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like I made a mistake. In my data for collecting dual wield I did a not very smart thing by using the same weapon as mainhand/offhand. It seems the actual DPS calculation for Dual Wield for the purposes of Rune Enhancement damage is as follows:

Dual Wield:
(DMG of mainhand weapon*60)/(Delay of mainhand weapon)/2

This is very apparent if you use a high DPS weapon as mainhand with a low DPS weapon offhand and high high numbers, but using a low DPS weapon with mainhand and high DPS weapon offhand you hit low numbers. If it were a function of total DPS, the high DPS offhand would compensate for it despite the low damage on mainhand.

This is essentially trivia at this point because nobody actually uses significantly lower damage main hand weapons. It does mean, however, the highest rune enhancement enspell damage is only achievable by a select few one hand main weapons when dual wielding.
[+]