Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-12-08 14:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Cerberus.Dekar said: »
Thanks for the guide! Heads up, it lists Shell Crusher as club instead of staff.

Good spot! This has been updated.

Other updates include:

- Geomancer's debuffs being nerfed by 75% makes things like GEO-Frailty weaker than they usually are. Also, I previously gave the impression of using GEO-Fury in the tank pt. This is a party buff, so would not affect the DD in another party. A tank GEO can choose something else (like GEO-Attunement), while melee party GEO's can Fury. This was an oversight on my part because I do not play GEO.

- Somehow forgot Addle in the spell list for RDMs.

- Added Boposhopo's advice on tanking wave 3 to RUN & PLD.

- Beastmen have dual jobs, so I added this to the list to clarify. I'd still target them the same way, but the order is a groups preference.

Depending on the people I have I try to always have 3 GEOs personally. Despite being nerfed on NMs stuff like Torpor, Frailty, Malaise, etc are still useful and we see noticeable differences. An ideal party setup for how we do Dyna looks like this:

Tank RDM GEO BRD Healz W/e
DDx2 GEO BRD COR Healz
DDx2 GEO BRD COR Healz

My personal Favorite form of this is Melee DD in one pty and a second pty of ranged DD. So it'd be something like

SAM DRK GEO BRD COR Healz
RNG COR GEO BRD COR SCH*

*Always do a SCH in that pty for the weather and Animus Minuo

Generally GEO bubbles will look like this
Tank Geo - Torpor Langour
Melee Geo - Fury Frailty
Ranged Geo - Accumen Malaise

Can swap out Second COR in ranged PTY for a RDM. They can put out phenomenal DMG if setup for it in the magic PTY.

If I have less ppl, say around 10-12, I'll just focus on one type of dmg. So Example we use a ranged PTY for Sandy, you're looking at roughly same tank pty and just the ranged pty. Tank GEO will still do Torpor/Langour, but since we don't need the minuets a lot of the times we run Marchx2 Madrigalx2 and don't need the torpor, so we'll throw in a vex or wilt instead.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-08 14:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Boposhopo said: »
I know it's easier on PLD than RUN as well, but capped DT in midcast sets goes a long way as well. Utilizing stuff like Nyame and DT accessories can help a lot just throwing them in your midcast in slots you can either afford to give up or don't need a specific item in.

RUN can take Mambo tanking pretty far in wave 3. We currently pull 1.5 fetters each pull and our RUN just uses 2 mambos, 2 minnes, and Ninja/Gallant's rolls. I also fulltime Embolden Phalanx on him.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-12-08 14:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're looking for RP and Wave 3 stuff, I ran with a group that would regularly full clear of Wave 1 and 2, and substantial on 3. Occasionally we would full clear 3 too. But they approached it in a very interesting way.

Parties: (All except Jeuno)
Tank x2, RDM, Healer, Open, Open (Open spaces can be given out to people for RP, and stuff)
DDx2 GEO BRD COR WHM (Barrier/Fury)
BLUx2 GEO BRD COR WHM (Barrier/Acumen or Focus/Acumen)

BLUs are doing magic damage on Wave 1 and 2. Sandy and Bastok that means prioritize Blue Eyes as much as possible. Bastok BLUs can set slightly different spells so they can target light weak mobs (Searing Tempest/Anvil Lightning mostly).

One tank pulls, One tank grabs hate, /drk is fine for poisonga, but can also /blu for additional utility. CORs snipe statues, BLUs AoE spam, and coordinate dream flower in between casts. If weak to melee DDs with decent AoE like Fell Cleave/Sonic Thrust can do sort of the same thing. Aeolian Edge spam can be done too with melees for magic focus.

Right before wave 2 boss, BLUs switch to melee spells, GEO/COR switches to DD buffs. They become Melee DDs from wave 2 boss all the way through.

The strat is adaptable to your skill level. If still green, puller can only pull 2 or 3 statues. Towards the end of our run, our puller was pulling as many as 10 statues at once.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2021-12-08 15:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
If you're looking for RP and Wave 3 stuff, I ran with a group that would regularly full clear of Wave 1 and 2, and substantial on 3. Occasionally we would full clear 3 too. But they approached it in a very interesting way.

Tank x2, RDM, Healer, Open, Open (Open spaces can be given out to people for RP, and stuff)

BLUs are doing magic damage on Wave 1 and 2. Sandy and Bastok that means prioritize Blue Eyes as much as possible. Bastok BLUs can set slightly different spells so they can target light weak mobs (Searing Tempest/Anvil Lightning mostly).

One tank pulls, One tank grabs hate, /drk is fine for poisonga, but can also /blu for additional utility. CORs snipe statues, BLUs AoE spam, and coordinate dream flower in between casts. If weak to melee DDs with decent AoE like Fell Cleave/Sonic Thrust can do sort of the same thing. Aeolian Edge spam can be done too with melees for magic focus.

Right before wave 2 boss, BLUs switch to melee spells, GEO/COR switches to DD buffs. They become Melee DDs from wave 2 boss all the way through.

The strat is adaptable to your skill level. If still green, puller can only pull 2 or 3 statues. Towards the end of our run, our puller was pulling as many as 10 statues at once.
So youre saying you pop all statues and cleave the trash? am i reading this right? Sniping statues usually refers to plinking them to avoid pops, but if you mean the CORs clear statues in the massive pulls then it makes sense. We have Been doing "speed runs" ourselves and have batted the idea of cleaving for RP and Volte farming then Deet Farming Wave 3 with the time left but werent sure of any possible dmg penalties like in Ody. If youre saying there are none, thats sort of exciting.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-12-08 15:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »

So youre saying you pop all statues and cleave the trash? am i reading this right? Sniping statues usually refers to plinking them to avoid pops, but if you mean the CORs clear statues in the massive pulls then it makes sense. We have Been doing "speed runs" ourselves and have batted the idea of cleaving for RP and Volte farming then Deet Farming Wave 3 with the time left but werent sure of any possible dmg penalties like in Ody. If youre saying there are none, thats sort of exciting.

We've BLU cleaved a couple times ourselves and the biggest risk imo is the BLUs getting hit. Having an outside PLD helping keep them alive (Majesty is OP) helps quite a bit. Between their status effects such as petrify from Entomb they can usually mitigate how much the mobs do anything once they're popped. This works everywhere except Jeuno, since Jeuno either has reduced AoE DMG or high resist to status effects when BLUs cleave in jeuno they'll probably just die.

When we did it we originally had a COR clear out the statues after they popped, but BLUs asked us to stop doing that so they can Magic Hammer the statue to get MP back. Not a BLU myself so just going off what our BLUs requested, but it's a very fast way to clear wave 1/2.
 Ragnarok.Magicobandito
user: awcoburn
By Ragnarok.Magicobandito 2021-12-08 15:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Great discussion so far. Enjoyed reading it.

Regarding making people be certain jobs: there's always going to be someone who leveled a new job or someone new that joins, etc. who will need relic upgrade clears.

While realizing this will not work for all groups, for my Dyna D group (good enough to get w3 clears but not super duper elite), we do a W1&2 only farming run once a week where anyone can come on any job they want...basically for clears or maybe just for giggles. There's still some burden on someone to heal/tank, but not a big deal because it's just W1 and 2 and lots of jobs can tank them.

Then our 2nd run of the week is W3 farming and clears which are A-Team only, required jobs to get the job done.

It's less gil usually then doing W3 on every run, but it's worked well for us so we can have one relaxed run and one get-down-to-business run each week.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-12-08 15:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »

We've BLU cleaved a couple times ourselves and the biggest risk imo is the BLUs getting hit. Having an outside PLD helping keep them alive (Majesty is OP) helps quite a bit. Between their status effects such as petrify from Entomb they can usually mitigate how much the mobs do anything once they're popped. This works everywhere except Jeuno, since Jeuno either has reduced AoE DMG or high resist to status effects when BLUs cleave in jeuno they'll probably just die.

When we did it we originally had a COR clear out the statues after they popped, but BLUs asked us to stop doing that so they can Magic Hammer the statue to get MP back. Not a BLU myself so just going off what our BLUs requested, but it's a very fast way to clear wave 1/2.

The only real mechanics you have to deal with are eyes in Dynamis.

Sandy blue eyes take +25% damage from magic, but -75% physical, so blue mage can go to town. The physical party takes over when green eyes are pulled.

Bastok the mechanic is Light/Dark based. Blue eyes take extra damage from Dark element spells (Water/Earth/Ice/Dark) and green eyes take extra damage from Light element (Thunder/Fire/Wind/Light).

Windy has something to do with ranged attack or something, so doesn't affect blu cleave.

Jeuno is the only one you can't do this way due to the mechanics.

There are some caveats:
  1. You're blu's need good magic damage sets. Pretty close to BiS

2. You're blus need and need to live in DT sets. They can get refresh from the brd, and geo entrust or something, but as was said above if they start taking damage they die quick

3. Useful spells are, Verve, Dream Flower, Entomb. We would usually coordinate as best we could to make sure that 1 blu was casting Dream Flower right as the other was casting a damage spell.

4. Your tank does need to try to hold hate as best as he/she can. For us, poisonga tag + foil spam seemed to be enough to keep most of the mobs focused on the tank and not the blus

5. I'll just add this as above it was mentioned that stats are useful for Magic hammer. I don't recommend letting stats live, they do a lot of AoE damage and stun. You get the wrong combination of that stuff happening and it can end a run really quick. Best case I think is blus be aware of stats coming in and try to magic hammer them before they start doing damage

My reference to cors sniping was to them prioritizing killing statues over mobs when they are all in camp.

Edit: For reference, on average it took our group about 3 runs to cap RP on a +2. So on average this method was getting us at least 8k RP a run. For people who just leveled or didn't have jobs in a useful state, the extra 1-2 spots in the tank party were for people that needed wins. If they were leveling a +2 neck or weapon, the general expectation was that they were also contributing in some ways. Hardest to fit were smn honestly, because the only really viable spot for them was tank party healer, and they just aren't that well suited for it. All DDs could be useful enough to fit in as a DD, and we'd cycle them out as we could. No one in our group was "I'm only a DD all the time." so we could do that.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-12-08 16:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

We just cleave wave 1/2 with Aeolian spam from the CORs/RNGs. We also AE spam our wave 3 pulls to kill the fodder Volte after we oneshot the problematic mobs (BST, WHM, COR, NIN) and then just Leaden/Wildfire/Trueflight/Jinpu/Seraph the NMs down. Oneshotting the problem mobs just entails building 3k TP and then stunning them as you WS in case you don't OHKO them.

We basically just abuse Malaise and magic damage for the entire run. It's a lot of work for your RDM (especially if you're pulling multiple fetters at once like we do and everything needs to be silenced), but it's very fast.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-12-08 17:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Boposhopo makes me wonder if my group might be better going the ranger route. We lack heavy DDs because the best we have are playing pivotal support roles. It opens up another way of setting up, which for a zone like San d'Oria could be promising. Thanks for that, and to all the other testimonials, this has been a fun thread and hope it continues that way.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-12-08 18:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Boposhopo makes me wonder if my group might be better going the ranger route. We lack heavy DDs because the best we have are playing pivotal support roles. It opens up another way of setting up, which for a zone like San d'Oria could be promising. Thanks for that, and to all the other testimonials, this has been a fun thread and hope it continues that way.

Ranged strat was how we did our first couple wins cause that's what we had, good COR and RNG, not a lot of solid heavy DD.

Tank RDM GEO BRD Healz W/e
RNG COR GEO BRD COR SCH
RNG COR GEO BRD COR SCH

Due to repeat WS nerf this does require a little co-ordination between everyone to make sure you're not repeating WS. With only 2 RNG Trueflight is generally ok for both of them to use. If you split the CORs down Wildfire/Leaden it works out ok as well. Also helps to have the tank and BRDs throwing in WS of course to cut that resist down even more. One thing to note is the repeat WS Nerf is only applicable on your current target. So with this setup you can Aeolian Edge cleave the adds, and then single target WS the NM once they're dead. The repeat WS nerf won't stack up on the adds and they'll take full damage. This applies to the adds spawned by the Wave 3 boss as well.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [100 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-03-18 13:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to finish this guide from our experiences in the next week. We recently defeated Disjoined bosses in Jeuno, Bastok and Windurst, and looking to finish it off next Thursday in San d'Oria.

I was wondering if groups do anything different for the Elvaan after it has been alive a while? I know positioning helps with the AoE, but adds can sometimes catch people out, so do you keep the same buffs, or change it up when its weaponskills get stronger?
 Leviathan.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2022-03-18 13:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If folks are taking too much damage as the fight goes on then we do swap in defensive buffs. It hasn't been as much of an issue with Odyssey era gear and buffed PLD protect though. Utsusemi also works for it, so /NIN folks have that to fall back on too.
[+]
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2022-03-20 13:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Here are the general notes and strategy our group has used for the past 4-5 years, it's what worked for us to get consistent clean clears each week.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2022-03-20 15:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Here are the general notes and strategy our group has used for the past 4-5 years, it's what worked for us to get consistent clean clears each week.

You're a legend. I'm taking a long break from the game as of next weekend, so instead of filling out this guide, I'll just link this if you don't mind? Lol.