Odyssey Community Guide

Blue Mage Tanking/Cruel Joke Guide for Odyssey
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-08-31 08:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Our group has experimented with BLU evasion tanking even in a more standard strategy (not Cruel Joke), and honestly, it works. Takes some gear adjustments and buff changes, but BLU gets some ridiculous hate tools that make any RUN or PLD weep in envy.

Nyame gear, regardless of augment path, provides amazing numbers in -DT, evasion, and magic evasion, making set building a lot easier and more effective than previous. Double Mambo from the BRD is massive when stacked with appropriate gear. And while its certainly a solid 3rd place behind any PLD or RUN who knows their craft- its a great option for groups struggling to fill that "tank" role in there. We were just toying with concepts to help friends in our LS who had partial statics but couldn't find a tank.

Halos are still questionable for this concept above floor 2 for most people, but I do think with time we'll see its potential rise.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
Server: Bahamut
user: Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2021-08-31 12:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly like a CJ strategy that uses a heavy DD and a BLU. The group I run with makes good use of CJ and we don't stand around waiting for things to die when CJ is applied. We typically sleep a large group, joke em, and then pop a NM if it's close or drag another group back to the Blu. We can essentially kill 30 mobs and a NM in 60s.

I'm too chicken to be Blu evasion tanking because one screw up can ruin a run and I screw up often.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-09-01 01:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

How well does this work on Agon Halo mobs on floor 3 and 4 though? That's my main concern honestly.

With Mambox2 and Eva food you're probably gonna be fine though I suppose.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-01 01:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
How well does this work on Agon Halo mobs on floor 3 and 4 though? That's my main concern honestly.

With Mambox2 and Eva food you're probably gonna be fine though I suppose.

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Halos are still questionable for this concept above floor 2 for most people, but I do think with time we'll see its potential rise.
By fillerbunny9 2021-09-01 08:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Apkallu require a light based sleep. you are not going to land Dream Flower reliably if at all.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-09-07 10:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i also count 26% haste in the blu skill set so not sure why to go for tempus fugit in the waist slot.
i suggest augmented Shinjutsu-no-Obi +1 or witful belt.

*edit*
also, if i counted correctly, i'm only counting a total of 592 blue magic skill in the blu skill set.
you can get 5-15 more from augmented Cornflower Cape and 5 from Mavi Tathlum.
could even trade a stikini +1 for a NQ + a good cornflower cape, save a lot of gil and still reach the 600 mark.
 Shiva.Mlrlohki
Server: Shiva
user: Mlrlohki
By Shiva.Mlrlohki 2021-09-09 04:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

My team usually runs 3 Blus, 1 whm, 1 pld and 1 brd. This usually lets us go pretty quickly, since we can CJ pretty rapidly, even pulling 2 groups if they’re adjacent to each other. Brd helps with macc, refresh, and mazurka. If we burn through all the jokeable mobs, then we can pull solos on the last floor until time runs out.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-09-09 06:10:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to see some details on the "weather affecting magic accuracy" claim outside of eyeballing it. Not to be rude to your source but in the two decades that this game has existed there has never been any quantifiable evidence that elemental obis nor day/weather bonuses et al have any effect on magic accuracy, and the difference would have been documented by now seeing as how relatively potent it would be.
 Fenrir.Svens
Server: Fenrir
user: Tenkey
By Fenrir.Svens 2021-09-09 06:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Peda._M.Board_%2B3 makes a reference to weather-related Magic Accuracy bonus similar to wearing an Obi with weather, but it may be from an old source.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-09-09 06:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's hard to tell what that's referencing but it can be extrapolated that it isn't saying that obis have a day/weather macc component, but rather the increased chance of weather procs on Altruism/Focalization with the hat equipped can't increase the chance of a weather proc over 100% if you also have an obi equipped.

I'm not a SCH so I don't know how those stratagems work nor what the hat is actually referencing or where the information is coming from to begin with. There's no references to check where the testing was done outside of the initial posts which don't reference weather at all.

Without evidence I can't say for certain but my interpretation of this poorly worded wiki entry is in 2 parts:

-increases chance of weather proc when using Altruism/Focalization by 15% per merit, which obviously doesn't stack with Obi to put it over 100%
-Gives Focalizarion/Altruism an additional magic accuracy bonus with the right weather active. If anyone has a source for this that'd be appreciated because right now it looks unverifiable and could just be a spit balled piece of hearsay that has stood the test of time with no actual testing involvdled.

Neither of these things would prove that obis provide any macc at all so we're still at square 1 assuming my interpretation is correct.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-09-09 07:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's why I'm wondering where the assertion that the obi is affecting macc is coming from. The only data I can find related to weather and day affecting macc is on this blog: http://robonosto.blogspot.com/2008/12/even-more-on-magic-resist-rates_29.html?m=1

It implies that magic accuracy is likely unaffected by day,in this case, paralyze was tested on firesday and iceday.

If your friend has evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it as it'd be important to know in general. Otherwise Luminary Sash all the way.
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2021-09-09 08:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fwiw, I use this set and have never had problems landing CJ on any floor.
ItemSet 376454
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2021-09-09 11:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Wanted to note that the best run we've done using a CJ strategy gave us 1029000 gil and 1787 bonus segments. Highest total segments was around 9k and we average around 7500 a run. That's an average of daily runs over the course of a few months. We've had runs where we skipped an entire floor basically and still got around 7k.

I didn't get it on video, but our biggest pull for using CJ has been 4 groups on floor 3.
 Cerberus.Praios
Server: Cerberus
user: Praios
By Cerberus.Praios 2021-09-10 10:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya. Dunno if mentioned somewhere yet:
Trio'ing Sheol C with CJ (BLU, BRD, PLD) awhile ago. We experienced that all segments from gathered mobs more then 14 and killed by CJ at ones dont count. We checked this multiple times and /facepalmed for the gathered 20/30 mobs we killed with CJ all the runs befor ><
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2021-09-10 10:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Praios said: »
Heya. Dunno if mentioned somewhere yet:
Trio'ing Sheol C with CJ (BLU, BRD, PLD) awhile ago. We experienced that all segments from gathered mobs more then 14 and killed by CJ at ones dont count. We checked this multiple times and /facepalmed for the gathered 20/30 mobs we killed with CJ all the runs befor ><

I'm not certain this is accurate, but I'll pay careful attention tonight. We CJ almost every run and have received the proper amount of segments.
First Page 2 3 4