First Page 2 3
 Unicorn.Rufio
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2020-12-26 08:47:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello - hope everyone had a good holiday

What is the best offhand katana these days? I'm just getting back into ninja and wanted to know.

Thanks!
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-26 12:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Best OH Katana depends on your MH and the content... There's several options but none of them is "the best" for every possible MH under every possible condition.

Notable options:
1) Gokotai
2) Ternion Dagger +1 R15 (yes, a dagger)
3) Perfect Ochu
4) Fudo Masamune
5) Kanaria (gonna need very very good augs to beat the other options listed though)
6) TP bonus TotM Katana

I guess Shigi (augmented) is still a good option for acc, inferior to Gokotai and Fudo Masamune, but it's certainly cheaper and easier to obtain I guess, so for some people that might be an alternative to those two sorta expensive Katanas.
[+]
 Unicorn.Rufio
By Unicorn.Rufio 2020-12-26 15:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Best OH Katana depends on your MH and the content... There's several options but none of them is "the best" for every possible MH under every possible condition.

Notable options:
1) Gokotai
3) Perfect Ochu
4) Fudo Masamune
5) Kanaria (gonna need very very good augs to beat the other options listed though)
6) TP bonus TotM Katana

I guess Shigi (augmented) is still a good option for acc, inferior to Gokotai and Fudo Masamune, but it's certainly cheaper and easier to obtain I guess, so for some people that might be an alternative to those two sorta expensive Katanas.

Thank you very much
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-26 16:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just stick with ternion+1 for 95% of the situations and you'll be fine.
[+]
By Taint 2020-12-26 16:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cordyfox said: »
Notable options:
1) Gokotai
3) Perfect Ochu
4) Fudo Masamune
6) TP bonus TotM Katana

No Kikoku?

Offhand
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-12-26 17:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Just stick with ternion+1 for 95% of the situations and you'll be fine.

This is pretty much the answer, Ternion +1 is default.

- For situations demanding high accuracy, swap to Gokotai or Fudo Masamune.
- For situations where you want to maximize ninjutsu/magic burst damage, Gokotai or Tauret.
- For situations with a WS that scales heavily with TP (i.e., Blade: Ten with a Heishi or Nagi mainhand, or Savage Blade with Naegling mainhand), and you have sufficient buffs/no acc struggles, magian TP Bonus katana is good (Hitaki, or the non-final stage TPB+1000 augmented versions). Though maybe not good enough to beat Ternion even here.

Notable options:
1) Gokotai
3) Perfect Ochu
4) Fudo Masamune
6) TP bonus TotM Katana

Sechs missed one other notable option: Tauret (another dagger). Was generally my go-to before Ternion +1 got augments, over all of the others on the above list.

Also worth noting that Gokotai, Tauret, and Fudo Masamune all have lower level versions that are plenty viable for similar use. Kaja stage versions of the Ambu weapons, Su4 version of the Divergence crafted katana.

I also wouldn't bother with Ochu any more for much of anything. And if you're trying to use that for the nuking stats, final stage Ambuscade weapons (any of Gokotai, Naegling, Tauret) are all better.

Asura.Cordyfox said: »
No Kikoku?

Nope. Guessing you might not be aware that the Atk+60 (and the Atk+10% aftermath) on Relic only apply when mainhanded. Same deal for any lv119/Afterglow RMEA augments or bonuses to associated WS, aftermath effects, and Aeonic TP Bonus.

Or like Taint said - were you thinking mainhand? Kikoku is plenty viable there. We're talking offhands.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-27 01:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing how frequently this question is asked. Like every other week. And Sechs and Capuchin are like broken records at this point. Someone needs to make a flowchart for NIN offhand options
[+]
 Unicorn.Rufio
By Unicorn.Rufio 2020-12-27 03:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's amazing how frequently this question is asked. Like every other week. And Sechs and Capuchin are like broken records at this point. Someone needs to make a flowchart for NIN offhand options

I'm sorry if my inquiry about offhand katana has annoyed you. Based off of titles of threads I see the last response was made 9 months ago. Please forgive me and the fact I'm not a great internet sleuth
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-12-27 04:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Just an FYI that most, if not all, of the job-specific forums on FFXIAH tend to have all discussion in one large "guide" or main topic. Generally, there isn't really enough traffic to make separate posts for every question that worthwhile.

And yeah, "which offhand" was asked/answered like 1 week ago on the main thread. It's on the current last page: https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/33470/the-sealed-dagger-a-ninja-guide/207/#3556742

I don't particularly mind the question though. Perhaps having a separate topic is actually useful for this one, given the frequency it gets asked. Maybe easier to keep offhand info up-to-date here and just point any new requests to this thread.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-27 04:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Memes said: »
Unless you're skillchaining, isn't savage blade the best anyway?

[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-12-27 05:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Rufio said: »

I'm sorry if my inquiry about offhand katana has annoyed you. Based off of titles of threads I see the last response was made 9 months ago. Please forgive me and the fact I'm not a great internet sleuth
MFing bangorang Rufio!

Edit: also: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Achiuchikapu is a hoot, and lockstyles like a guchi ninja should.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2020-12-27 07:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't apologize to Buukki. Galkas don't have feelings.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-27 07:59:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja's meta is SC(+MB), that's always going to be it's best dps in situations where using one is optimal. The whole "unless skillchaining.." thing is pretty moot. When aren't you skillchaining? If you're going to be spammy spam spam WS without accounting for skillchain damage, you don't really need to be on ninja for that.

Oh I'm not annoyed, just an observation that would have been helpful for others. Might need to do what Cap said so it's easily referenced
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-27 08:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're considering the "best damage"* when other people are around to interrupt your skillchain attempt, then hybrid weaponskills would be superior to Savage blade anyways, so Savage isn't even the best damage output for Ninja. I always hear that point about SB being pushed but it's never put in the correct context. If you can be buffed to the max until your eyes bleed, you can use blade: chi

[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-27 09:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Memes said: »
If you can be buffed to the max until your eyes bleed, you can use blade: chi
Doesn't that require 2 GEO and ideally even 4 COR buffs to get both physical and magic damage up?

That, is how everyone plays, had you not got the memo? You forgot 2 bards though
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-27 09:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

No, not really. It's practically the same buffs as any physical DD would get, and you add malaise to it. Swap Sam to fighters, you can even get decent hybrid damage with trusts.

But that's not actually the point lol. If you're going to give advice to someone asking about ninja offhands (aka a newer player) feedback about the best DPS, you should qualify what is the actual best. Savage blade isn't the "best", regardless of what it takes to get there. Telling a newer Ninja that using a sword for Savage blade is better than using katanas is poor general advice in my opinion.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-27 10:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fighters roll (one roll) buffs *everybody*, not just the Ninja. it's an underutilized buff, but everyone benefits from the change so it's not disruptive at all. Also, trusts don't have malaise, and I said you can still get good damage with them (another Ninja in the other thread posted pictures), qultada uses both the rolls you need. I would argue you can do better hybrid damage in a trust setup than you could with Savage blade. It doesn't need to have optimal buffs get max damage, just enough to be "better" than Savage blade, which isn't hard at all.

Now you're moving the goalpost. You suggested that sword damage from Savage blade was better than katanas *when you're not skillchaining*. I mentioned ninja meta is about skillchaining. You mentioned playing in a group of people where skillchain might get interrupted. I suggested a superior WS that thrives on most group content Ninja can compete in. You sarcastically suggested the buff spread to achieve that was unreasonable (not sure how when you're in a group that gets all but one of those buffs anyways), even inhibiting. Then you say Ninja isn't even necessary for anything besides solo challenges (If that's true, damage from skillchain DOES matter, which was your original point). Ninja has a good amount of use that I won't get into, but none of that matters. You're just deflecting now.

I'm just saying that for newer Ninja's, the last thing they need to hear is to use Savage blade... I always get asked "what's the best Savage blade set for Ninja" for people who just picked up the job, because they heard it's the "best" damage. It's just not a good foot to start on.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2020-12-27 10:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello - hope everyone had a good holiday

What is the best offhand katana these days? I'm just getting back into ninja and wanted to know.

Thanks!

kanaria with WSDMG for metsu

Heishi, + Tp bonus, (most zerg fights obviously ten)

Sometimes Heishi,gokotai yea its situational

Ochu (mog house since merit change)

i dont have kannagi or the su weapon that's all i know and use!.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-12-27 18:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Telling a newer Ninja that using a sword for Savage blade is better than using katanas is poor general advice in my opinion.

Bingo. Usually the people who are getting up to speed on NIN and asking these kinds of questions aren't going to have the buffs and WSD gear needed to make Savage shine anyway. They're far more likely to be in a situation where they'll do better with katanas. Learning stuff like NIN self-SC options and magic bursting will likely be way more beneficial.

Savage spam does have its uses on NIN, just like lots of other jobs on Naegling, so that's helpful to note I guess. But it's just one niche to be employed in certain scenarios.
By Boshi 2020-12-27 18:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

ternion or tp bonus.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-12-27 19:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots of bad advice in Thunderjet's post.

Thunderjet said: »

Ternion +1 is substantially better than Kanaria for Kikoku/Blade: Metsu. So is Tauret. Gokotai and Fudo are also generaly better calls.

I managed to get two pretty excellent WSD Kanaria: one with DEX+10/Racc+22/WSD+7% (DM-only augment), the other with DMG+18/Dex+10/Atk+9/WSD+3% (most WSD you can get without DM). Neither of them is worth using for Metsu, despite being pretty great augs for it with DEX and WSD. Yeah, they could have more acc/atk I guess. But you'd need basically god tier DM augments to even make it a competition with easily obtained superior alternatives.

Even talking just about Kanaria, TA+3% augment is what you want to shoot for. My STR+9/TA+3%/Acc&Atk+20-something Kanaria beats my DEX/WSD ones on spreadsheet even for Metsu, a DEX-based 1-hit WS. WS frequency and better TP rate is a better option.

Not really. Ternion +1 will win even for buffed zerg fights with Ten. Now that Ternion augments exist, really the only use case for Hitaki TP bonus is maybe Savage Blade when you don't need Acc (and TBH, I'm not sure it even still wins there).

Quote:

That one is correct. Situational, but pretty good option for sets that need high acc and you also want to magic burst. Tauret will be better DPS for magic burst sets that don't need max melee acc though.

Quote:

Ochu is pretty much dead.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2020-12-27 20:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Lots of bad advice in Thunderjet's post.

Ternion +1 is substantially better than Kanaria for Kikoku/Blade: Metsu. So is Tauret. Gokotai and Fudo are also generaly better calls.

I managed to get two pretty excellent WSD Kanaria: one with DEX+10/Racc+22/WSD+7% (DM-only augment), the other with DMG+18/Dex+10/Atk+9/WSD+3% (most WSD you can get without DM). Neither of them is worth using for Metsu, despite being pretty great augs for it with DEX and WSD. Yeah, they could have more acc/atk I guess. But you'd need basically god tier DM augments to even make it a competition with easily obtained superior alternatives.

Even talking just about Kanaria, TA+3% augment is what you want to shoot for. My STR+9/TA+3%/Acc&Atk+20-something Kanaria beats my DEX/WSD ones on spreadsheet even for Metsu, a DEX-based 1-hit WS. WS frequency and better TP rate is a better option.

Not really. Ternion +1 will win even for buffed zerg fights with Ten. Now that Ternion augments exist, really the only use case for Hitaki TP bonus is maybe Savage Blade when you don't need Acc (and TBH, I'm not sure it even still wins there).

Quote:

That one is correct. Situational, but pretty good option for sets that need high acc and you also want to magic burst. Tauret will be better DPS for magic burst sets that don't need max melee acc though.

Quote:

Ochu is pretty much dead.

offhand katana
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-12-27 22:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

offhand katana

Yeah, your advice about offhand katana is bad.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2020-12-27 23:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

They seem good enough to me, how would 5 percent wsd beat a 1250=30000 ten spam that would go off faster? I dont know the maths behind that but again i dont use spreadsheets and luas.
First Page 2 3