Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-02 14:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ermah said: »
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Bst already fills the party role as basically a more supporty dragoon;

Good damage, zero enmity generation.

Bst gets more support, Drg gets more damage.

Its basically just gunna be another monk situation; Its already in a good spot, a few of its weaknesses/issues are gunna get worked out, and will end up FOTM.

If they can fix distance issues when youre fighting with your pet on the mob like beast players want, it will honestly be golden. The Macc on the pet this patch will be huge as well. Subtle blow is also still underrated.

A single bst will always be a great addition to any group. Theres no real reason why anyone should turn one down if someone wants to play it.

These two are nothing alike. That's like me saying, "A Bst is basically another black mage to the group. A black mage does magical damage, a Bst does physical damage."

Both are DDs that are 0 enmity generators who are pet jobs. If you actually read what was posted, youd understand the comparison.

Enmity is a *huge* thing in this game. Tanks are perfectly capable of tanking very easily... until the DD hits enmity cap or opens up out the gate. The two melee DDs without this issue are Drg and Bst.

Of the two, drg is the pet job focused on keeping their pet alive for self buffs.

Bst is focused on better support, largely through powerful debuffs that other jobs dont easily get access to (especially in dyna where geo is hard nerfed)

Both fill the role of DD, both generate 0 enmity. Thats part of why DRG is so good; you can dump your full damage and not care. Bst can do the same. Other jobs have to sacrifice their damage or their sub.
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 15:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Both are DDs that are 0 enmity generators who are pet jobs
Not really, drg isnt a 0 enmity generator. Low enmity sure, but not 0. Unlike snarl (which is a DPS loss), jumps are a big DPS increase, drg also brings decent debuffs lol.

Bst only has one great debuff. Ooze, which is mostly meh unless on dynad D wave three or this months ambu. Bst realistically gets access to one debuff, you aint cycling pets lol. Also, that debuff comes at a big sacrifice in personal DPS. Ready lockout is BRUTAL. I want to see pet white damage increased on the "DD" pets and I want MACC/ACC increased on the enfeebling pets. That way you can build full DPS or full enfeeble/buff. Get the DD pets to max out at like 2-3k DPS in white dmg. Bsts inability to deal with debuffs on pet would easily keep it balanced.

Bst isnt pulling hate with/without using snarl. assuming everyone has the same level of buffs, snarl is pretty meh, regular DD or the cor will have hate. Snarl was actually made to support pet only play. Most of bsts pet buffs would be better if you could get snarl to do the exact OPPOSITE of what it currently does. Bst has all these great defensive buffs that are worthless because you CANT generate hate.

I mean... JP players used to refuse to master their BST because it forced you to add 20 enmity to the pet. Which is why they changed the job points around. JP players were refusing to get mastered and use Pangu. Think about that... YOU DONT WANT HATE ON THE PET. It is hard to cure the thing fast enough against anything hard. It is EASY to cure the master.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-02 16:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

And all those points are virtually irrelevant.

It doesnt matter if a 30+% def/att or -10% maxhp debuff is a *personal* dps loss. No one cares about personal DPS. Those debuffs are absolutely massive for party setups in general, *especially* in content where geo is nerfed. The amount of support you give the party, while being able to be only *slightly* behind other rema DDs like drk, is good enough that you could always bring a bst and not feel bad about it.
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 16:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

And all those points are virtually irrelevant.

It doesnt matter if a 30+% def/att or -10% maxhp debuff is a *personal* dps loss. No one cares about personal DPS. Those debuffs are absolutely massive for party setups in general, *especially* in content where geo is nerfed. The amount of support you give the party, while being able to be only *slightly* behind other rema DDs like drk, is good enough that you could always bring a bst and not feel bad about it.
So you think bst is fine because ooze is good for literally 1 fight? -10% HP is great... for one fight. Most fights you will do more than 10% by just WSing in that same time. So you want bst to basically ONLY use the slug at all times? Frick, in that case I would like to take the slug and LEAVE the bst.

It kinda seems like you just dont understand. You are talking about one fight... okay. how about the other 99.9% of content? If you think my points are irrelevant... lol. You probably should start playing the job? BST isnt even CLOSE to being "slightly" behind other rema DD like dark. Bst is closer to 70-75% of a decimation build war... which is like war's 4th best DPS build. How did you even come up with that nonsense?
By Shichishito 2020-08-02 16:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

at least time is on your side considering bosses of future content most likely will have increasingly more HP.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-02 17:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ooze is good for literally any melee fight in the game, given it is the single strongest -def debuff outside full strength geomancy, only on par with 1 blue spell no one uses due to needing JA timers.
 Asura.Veikur
Server: Asura
By Asura.Veikur 2020-08-02 17:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Spaitin said: »
You are talking about one fight... okay. how about the other 99.9% of content?
DPS has progressed to the point that anyone complaining about the loss of DPS from DRK/WAR/SAM -> BST, before even taking into account that the BST is always doing at least 10% of all the damage, is literally a brain dead monkey.

BST biggest issue isn't anything to do with the job itself. The overall communities inability to spend more than a blink to consider other aspects of jobs beyond spamming one weapon skill is the issue.
[+]
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 17:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ooze is good for literally any melee fight in the game, given it is the single strongest -def debuff outside full strength geomancy, only on par with 1 blue spell no one uses due to needing JA timers.
It is uneeded in most content. geo by itself will cap attack on most fights that you arnt doing a 1 hour on, especially if you have a DD that has ageha, angon, armor break. So yeah, unneeded. It kinda seems like you dont understand that their is an attack cap.

-10% HP, very strong on fights with MASSIVE amounts of HP that you have the MACC to use it on. It is great for wave three boss, maybe that ambu with the 150 mil HP mobs and mireu? Yeah bst is great on that one fight. sorry, that isnt enough. Needs to be good at other content too.

-10% HP would be stupid to use on most content. Same with the defense down. For some pretty obvious reasons. Decimation will do 35-40k against mobs with 300k HP. Lol you are gonna use the 10% HP on that? You would have to be brain dead to think that is a good idea.

Asura.Veikur said: »
BST biggest issue isn't anything to do with the job itself.
See no issues with Tame,Guage,CHarm? No issues with the pet running off and getting out of range so you CANT use your ready moves? Really? You see no issue in that the bst OR the master can be strong and in high end content one or the other has to be mostly useless? REALLY? lol Bst is STILL reliant on non ilvl gear... let that sink in for a minute.

I also literally dont think you know what "literally" means.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-02 17:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because everyone has an idris geo at the ready 24/7. Hate to break it to you, but sometimes you want to do content, and some people with certain jobs just arent online.
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 17:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, because everyone has an idris geo at the ready 24/7. Hate to break it to you, but sometimes you want to do content, and some people with certain jobs just arent online.
You can still cap attack on most content with just 900 geo and a DD...

But you are talking about something else entirely. You are talking about under geared parties. I would LOVE to see some improvement for bst for that specific type of content. It is weak there too.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-02 17:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You can still cap attack on most content with just 900 geo and a DD...

But you are talking about something else entirely. You are talking about under geared parties. I would LOVE to see some improvement for bst for that specific type of content. It is weak there too.

Again, youre assuming someone has a geo.
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 17:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

lol. if no geo, then sure. But geo still exists, just because you have no geo friends online doesnt mean bst is strong

Dnc would probably be a better fix in that scenario tbh. IF you want to go that lowbuff. Can go with a DNC, it has 23% that stacks with all other forms and 10 JA haste to the party. Not to mention better SC options.

You are basically saying bst is good because better jobs arnt always online.

I have long thought bst was a superhero on dyna D wave three. It doesnt stop it from being weak and awkward in MOST other content.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-08-02 17:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

-10% HP would be stupid to use on most content. Same with the defense down. For some pretty obvious reasons. Decimation will do 35-40k against mobs with 300k HP. Lol you are gonna use the 10% HP on that? You would have to be brain dead to think that is a good idea.
There isn't a single job in this game that wouldn't love a job ability that did 30k damage. Nor a job ability that inflicted ATT and DEF -33%. The *** are you on, dude?
[+]
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 17:55:15
Link | Quote | Reply

There isn't a single job in this game that wouldn't love a job ability that did 30k damage. Nor a job ability that inflicted ATT and DEF -33%. The *** are you on, dude?
I think you are having some reading issues tbh. Those are both good abilities. But it isnt enough. the defense down is sometimes good and the 10% is only good on high HP mobs. 30k hp ability sounds good until you understand what Ready lockout does to you. It is a pet command. Not a job ability.

You expect people to play bst just because a single pet is good? it isnt enough lol. It is laughable. guess we can change our names to slugmaster cuz we got ooooozzeee. Most jobs have like 8 abilities that every other job would want.

SE doesnt really agree with you. which is why they are releasing all those updated pets lol.

There are a TON of abilities/spells that basically every job would LOVE to have. the answer is most abilities they dont already have lol. Kind of an odd point you are making.
2 decent abilities that are extremely situational are not enough.

Lets look back at DRG. The job was pretty bad before the big update. But you still had simpletons saying the job was fine and in a good spot because we have jumps and angon. Then they buffed the job by 31% and people are basically just going "yeah it is about right". I personally think drg could use another small buff. Call wyvern, but wrong thread.

Lets look at monk. A DPS that really couldnt DPS. People were saying it was fine because it had Subtle blow and mantra? then they super buffed mnk and now it is about right.

Bst is worse than mnk and drg USED to be. by a mile. It needs more than 2 abilities that are good.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-02 17:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

lol. if no geo, then sure. But geo still exists, just because you have no geo friends online doesnt mean bst is strong

Dnc would probably be a better fix in that scenario tbh. IF you want to go that lowbuff. Can go with a DNC, it has 23% that stacks with all other forms and 10 JA haste to the party. Not to mention better SC options.

You are basically saying bst is good because better jobs arnt always online.

I have long thought bst was a superhero on dyna D wave three. It doesnt stop it from being weak and awkward in MOST other content.

Youre saying bst is bad because its not always the most optimal, something that doesnt matter in the slightest in a PvE game. Bst is a strong job with strong support, and will get you through literally everything the game has to offer in one setup or another. Realistically, the difference between bst and any other job for a slot in a party is peanuts, unless you need a healer.
By Shichishito 2020-08-02 18:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

look at it this way, if the party doesn't have a job with a high -def debuff then BST can provide it themselfs so you don't have to pick those other jobs in order to meet that requierment. also its not just the strongest version of -def down but it also comes with -33% attack therefore it will always be more desired than all the other versions of -def down.

i assume it also stacks with bio which is another -10% attack, considering how hard for example odyssey mobs can hit that could make qutie a difference.

we also don't even know yet what jug pets they going to add and what ready moves they come with so its a little early to be that disappointed already.
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 18:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Realistically, the difference between bst and any other job for a slot in a party is peanuts, unless you need a healer.
didn't you say bst was "slightly" behind dark DPS? not sure you understand the differences between jobs. There is a reason JP players were throwing away their Aymurs.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-08-02 18:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

jumps are a big DPS increase, drg also brings decent debuffs lol.

Jumps are only a dps increase when you are enfeebled somehow and your TP gain is neutered, you need to reapply AM3, or you need to shed hate. Using them otherwise will be a dps loss when fully-buffed. Angon is good but it doesn't have full up-time.

Bst only has one great debuff. Ooze, which is mostly meh unless on dynad D wave three or this months ambu. Bst realistically gets access to one debuff, you aint cycling pets lol. Also, that debuff comes at a big sacrifice in personal DPS. Ready lockout is BRUTAL. I want to see pet white damage increased on the "DD" pets and I want MACC/ACC increased on the enfeebling pets. That way you can build full DPS or full enfeeble/buff. Get the DD pets to max out at like 2-3k DPS in white dmg. Bsts inability to deal with debuffs on pet would easily keep it balanced.

Falkirk's guide has Corrosive Ooze at 1:10 duration. Having to do one Purulent Ooze (assuming it lands, can be resisted so I always Unleash) and then a Corrosive Ooze once every minute and change isn't that bad.

Bismarck.Rwolf said: »
I just want them to stop trying to convert BST into a bland Dolichenus DD to appease the masses angry about a job that most don't even play actively.

Axe WS still need adjustments. It shouldn't be just Dolichenus Decimation domination. They need to strip most of that huge bonus of Dolichenus and just make Decimation and other WS not suck. BST has two magic WS that can't even come close to others. My SCH with no support does more damage with Daybreak Seraph Strike than I can do on BST with Primal or Cloudsplitter.

I agree with all of this and I made the point about axe WS on the OF a while back. The weaponskills for axe are not as good as they should be. What we should have had was a BST-only physical WS that's exploitable. I guarantee you S-E i hesitant to buff axe weaponskills because the side-effect would be warrior getting a boost, which it does not particularly need.

Dolichenus/Decimation is really good because of the ease of gearing and the accessibility but I agree with you on that as well, it shouldn't be the final word. Other jobs have more options. It would be like if Shining One beat Masamune R15 or Trishula R15 or Chango R15 all the time. On the melee side we hit our peak too easily. The REMA axes should be better to give more of a progression. Because right now if you gear around those axes you are doing it purely for completionism (Aymur still great pet axe ofc).
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-02 18:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm missing something here... If decimation can hit 30k, and ooze can take 10% off instantly a monster with an average of 300k HP (30k damage), why can't you just use them both? That's 60k damage
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-02 18:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sirris said: »
Jumps are only a dps increase when you are enfeebled somehow and your TP gain is neutered, you need to reapply AM3, or you need to shed hate. Using them otherwise will be a dps loss when fully-buffed. Angon is good but it doesn't have full up-time.

This is true to a degree but tp overflow on dragoon is not so bad, so it's not entirely wasted.
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-08-02 19:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jumps are only a dps increase when you are enfeebled somehow and your TP gain is neutered, you need to reapply AM3, or you need to shed hate.
Even with capped delay reduction, jumps are always worth using.
By Spaitin 2020-08-02 19:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Jumps are only a dps increase when you are enfeebled somehow and your TP gain is neutered, you need to reapply AM3, or you need to shed hate.
I just double checked that. Completely wrong. Are you getting this from a spreadsheet? if so, you need to fix that spreadsheet.
 Asura.Sirris
By Asura.Sirris 2020-08-02 20:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with capped delay reduction, Jumps are always worth using.

What's your link? It takes me to some fan art.
[+]
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-08-02 21:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fixed it. Forgot the FFXIAH link button doesn't auto copy.

EDIT: The long of it, .36 seconds more time doesn't offset Relic+3 Body's additional damage, the higher base TP due to Vishap pieces and higher multi attack due to other available gear options.

Jump itself also has a 1+(VIT/256) damage modifier.

High Jump without Relic +3 is admittedly a minor loss if you're certain you aren't going to need to shed hate, requiring you to swap into a hybrid/full defensive set.
By Draylo 2020-08-02 21:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

BST are their own worst enemy it seems. Let them think that dinky pet is worth a party slot. The guy claims its perfect for group content and then says "u MIGHT not have an idris GEO!" when any real group will always have one, everyone and their mules have idris GEO these days.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
By Asura.Sirris 2020-08-02 22:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Fixed it. Forgot the FFXIAH link button doesn't auto copy.

EDIT: The long of it, .36 seconds more time doesn't offset Relic+3 Body's additional damage, the higher base TP due to Vishap pieces and higher multi attack due to other available gear options.

Jump itself also has a 1+(VIT/256) damage modifier.

High Jump without Relic +3 is admittedly a minor loss if you're certain you aren't going to need to shed hate, requiring you to swap into a hybrid/full defensive set.

What's your original link? I'll happily admit that I'm wrong but I'm curious as to how the math looks. When I've looked at my own parses for short, max-buff zergs (HELMs/WoC) I did better without jumps. Longer fights I use them when it makes sense but not immediately off of CD. (yes, this is off-topic lol)
By Ermah 2020-08-02 23:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ermah said: »
Bst already fills the party role as basically a more supporty dragoon;

Good damage, zero enmity generation.

Bst gets more support, Drg gets more damage.

Its basically just gunna be another monk situation; Its already in a good spot, a few of its weaknesses/issues are gunna get worked out, and will end up FOTM.

If they can fix distance issues when youre fighting with your pet on the mob like beast players want, it will honestly be golden. The Macc on the pet this patch will be huge as well. Subtle blow is also still underrated.

A single bst will always be a great addition to any group. Theres no real reason why anyone should turn one down if someone wants to play it.

These two are nothing alike. That's like me saying, "A Bst is basically another black mage to the group. A black mage does magical damage, a Bst does physical damage."

Both are DDs that are 0 enmity generators who are pet jobs. If you actually read what was posted, youd understand the comparison.

Enmity is a *huge* thing in this game. Tanks are perfectly capable of tanking very easily... until the DD hits enmity cap or opens up out the gate. The two melee DDs without this issue are Drg and Bst.

Of the two, drg is the pet job focused on keeping their pet alive for self buffs.

Bst is focused on better support, largely through powerful debuffs that other jobs dont easily get access to (especially in dyna where geo is hard nerfed)

Both fill the role of DD, both generate 0 enmity. Thats part of why DRG is so good; you can dump your full damage and not care. Bst can do the same. Other jobs have to sacrifice their damage or their sub.

Oh, so basically what you're trying to say is Ranger, Black Mage, Dragoon and Beastmaster are all basically the same exact job because they do damage and have enmity control abilities. My mistake.
[+]
 Asura.Veikur
By Asura.Veikur 2020-08-02 23:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Here.

Comeatmebro's follow up comment is also something to keep in mind.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-08-03 08:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It eill be funny if the buff to acc, macc and subtle blow is kinfa hilarious like 25%, +100 and +50sbII and kraken club will really be viable on BST. I dont want to guess but I assume that would put him really close behind top physical DD and mythic+kc+malignance build focusing on spaming high tp primal rend would also probably be very competitive in parties/alliance using magic WS damage.

Obviously the problem would be that builds will be viable for several people who have KC, so it coudlnt be called a fix to the job, but damn I feel that would be exploitable for many scenarios :)
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 09:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
BST are their own worst enemy it seems. Let them think that dinky pet is worth a party slot. The guy claims its perfect for group content and then says "u MIGHT not have an idris GEO!" when any real group will always have one, everyone and their mules have idris GEO these days.

My group has 2 idris geo, at least 1 more non idris, and know another idris that helps every now and then. We still dont always have a geo in party, because 1 is a mule, and 1 is sometimes a mule. Sometimes you need to drop the geo to make room for someone else that is a main and needs a clear. Sometimes they just arent on and are busy.

Turns out, you can have a rdm and a bst and do pretty well. A few of our non geos have bst. Others have dancer. Geo is strong, but overrated in how necessary people view it to be.