Cancel culture got EVO
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-02 22:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

They cancelled the live tourney due to Covid, but it was supposed to have an online event.

That is now cancelled too.

Sexual Misconduct, ok yes, fire the guy, but cancel the whole event?

Does this count as #methree? or #gamergatetwo? Too many people goin down for sexual abuse this week, ***. is. crazy.

So here's the whole story.

CEO of EVO paid a 17 year old $20 to see his ***. That's the beginning and the end. 20 years ago.

EVO is cancelled over that. I'm not saying "that isn't *** up" but damn son.

The victims story
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sra4k5

(there may be other allegations*)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-02 22:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's stupid to cancel an online event for something like this....
By Viciouss 2020-07-02 22:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe next time post an actual link to whatever accusations are being made..
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-02 22:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

All the companies straight cancelled. Nether Realm pulled MK11 and Capcom pulled SFV. Bandai pulled SoulCalibur 6 Tekken 7 and DBZF.
Quote:
Them’s Fightin’ Herds has also been pulled by its developer, Mane6. Much like Mortal Kombat, the My Little Pony-inspired fighting game was included at Evo Online thanks to its use of rollback netcode.

“The current situation surrounding Evo organizer Joey Cuellar has created an environment that we feel uncomfortable being involved in, and we are unwilling to have [Them’s Fightin’ Herds] showcased on the Evo stage under the current circumstances,” Mane6 wrote.

Guess you can't have a fighting game tourney with no fighting games.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-02 22:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

https://kotaku.com/mortal-kombat-street-fighter-pulled-from-evo-online-by-1844253712

https://www.ign.com/articles/street-fighter-mortal-kombat-pull-out-of-evo-online

https://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/29401903/evo-2020-canceled-sexual-misconduct-allegations-co-founder

https://www.pcgamer.com/evo-online-canceled-following-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct-against-its-president/

I mean, it is everywhere.

https://twitter.com/MrWiz?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Quote:
Joey Cuellar @MrWiz 3h
I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt anyone. I was young and reckless and did things I'm not proud of. I have been growing and maturing over the past 20 years, but that doesn't excuse anything. All I have been trying to do is become a better person. Once again, I'm truly sorry.
By Viciouss 2020-07-02 22:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Still want to blame "cancel culture?"
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-02 22:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »

Yes? Group punishment doesn't work.

*** assaults female(s?) and now the competitors and fans get screwed? They didn't cancel the entire NFL cause they were mad at Michael Vick.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-02 22:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, I didn't realize that Mane6 finally finished their game (Them's Fightin' Herds). It looks like a weird cross between MLP and Guilty Gear, which is one of the few fighting game franchises I actually enjoy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-02 22:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the new strategy for the cancel culture.

Instead of going after the event, go after the sponsors. Demand that they pull funding, and no event occurs.
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-02 22:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »

*** assaults female(s?) and now the competitors and fans get screwed? They didn't cancel the entire NFL cause they were mad at Michael Vick.

Poor comparison. First of all, in regards to the "competitors getting screwed," SonicFox noped his way out of there as fast as possible. He didn't wait around on Evo to do the right thing, he bailed. If SonicFox ain't going to Evo cuz your CEO is molesting boys, ain't nobody going. Nobody waited on Evo to take action, they got out. Evo didn't cancel it's event, the competitors and publishers did.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-02 23:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So here's the whole story.

Joey paid a 17 year old $20 to see his ***. That's the beginning and the end. 20 years ago.

EVO is cancelled over that.

I'm not saying "that isn't *** up" but damn son.

The victims story
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sra4k5

(there may be other allegations*)
By ryukin182 2020-07-02 23:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

https://kotaku.com/mortal-kombat-street-fighter-pulled-from-evo-online-by-1844253712

https://www.ign.com/articles/street-fighter-mortal-kombat-pull-out-of-evo-online

https://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/29401903/evo-2020-canceled-sexual-misconduct-allegations-co-founder

https://www.pcgamer.com/evo-online-canceled-following-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct-against-its-president/

I mean, it is everywhere.

https://twitter.com/MrWiz?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Quote:
Joey Cuellar @MrWiz 3h
I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt anyone. I was young and reckless and did things I'm not proud of. I have been growing and maturing over the past 20 years, but that doesn't excuse anything. All I have been trying to do is become a better person. Once again, I'm truly sorry.

Some people just sit and demand you link everything for them kickingand screaming when google is *right there*
By Draylo 2020-07-02 23:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Christ this is so dumb, just really makes me roll my eyes. Why does this keep happening? Why are these companies pandering to cancel culture and supporting it.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-02 23:25:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Why are these companies pandering to cancel culture and supporting it.
Because, by nature, businesses are risk adverse.

Having a large, vocal, and destructive mob demand that you cancel advertising an event or they "may" do "bad things" to your business, most businesses will comply immediately.

You seen what these people do to businesses whose only crime is being the location of a police shooting. Imagine what they would do to you if you don't immediately complying and apologizing for something you have no control over.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-07-02 23:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only one who doesn't know what this is or what it's talking about?

Get off my lawn.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-07-02 23:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Poor comparison. First of all, in regards to the "competitors getting screwed," SonicFox noped his way out of there as fast as possible. He didn't wait around on Evo to do the right thing, he bailed. If SonicFox ain't going to Evo cuz your CEO is molesting boys, ain't nobody going. Nobody waited on Evo to take action, they got out. Evo didn't cancel it's event, the competitors and publishers did.
The comparison might not be perfect but we have a timeline of
Evo is doing what it should be doing in this situation but everyone's pulling out anyway.

Oh no a major person at Evo was bad and did a bad thing, time to destroy Evo! That's just asinine.

I mean if it came out that Evo had known about this and covered it up, that's one thing. But it looks like Evo found out, took action remove the guy and it wasn't action enough BURN IT ALL DOWN. Yeah that's cancel culture.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-02 23:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Am I the only one who doesn't know what this is or what it's talking about?

Get off my lawn.

It's an annual fighting game tournament. It's basically what spawned mega-competitions like Smash Bros and Street Fighter.

It's what spawned the ultimate comeback in fighting game history.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-07-02 23:34:40
Link | Quote | Reply

That was probably the straw that broke the camel's back and the eventual reason to pull the plug on the event, but the FGC is littered with stories popping up of rape, sexual misconduct, impropriety, assault etc every which way. They pulled the plug to save face. Once these stories started getting traction, the last thing you want as a corporation is someone accusing a high profile tournament player of misconduct from a few decades ago. The optics are bad and they are trying to stop the bleeding.

Definitely does not warrant cancelling the entire event because that's ridiculous, but when the sponsors go, the event can't be funded. Sucks for everyone who was not involved who has too suffer the consequences of one or a few people.
By Quizzy 2020-07-03 00:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm so excited. Is this the new 100 page train wreck?!

Are we getting the band back together?
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-07-03 02:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

FGC is toxic AF. This reckoning is long overdue.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-07-03 03:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

what is EVO?
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2020-07-03 03:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Extra Virgin Oliveoil
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-03 03:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

what is everyone talking about? the FGC is as classy as it can get.
[+]
By ashcrow 2020-07-03 04:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
what is everyone talking about? the FGC is as classy as it can get.

I mean that guy had it coming,
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-03 04:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

rip fgc, knew it wouldn't last. i went to tourneys as a younger lad and did the whole thing, but never thought it'd get as big as it did.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-07-03 04:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cancel Culture doesn’t exist.
By RadialArcana 2020-07-03 04:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Yeah, it's stupid to cancel an online event for something like this....

It's only going to get worse as we go forward, the problem isn't the left or the right anymore. The problem is social media like twitter and facebook. As more people get onto these platforms it gets worse and worse.

It allows people who don't care about things to get outraged and cause a mass protest "online" about it. You have people complaining about things on a video game that a few thousand people play.

Back in the day these things had very small interest groups and nobody knew or cared about them outside of it, now everything is everybodies problem and everyone is looking for a reason to be outraged.

Social media was a mistake.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2020-07-03 07:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
Cancel Culture doesn’t exist.

Counterpoint: it has always existed. They just called it a "letter writing campaign" or just plain old "boycott" back in the day. Social media's amplified the speed of spread, reach of audience, and ease of jumping in, that's all.

Anyway, framing it as a left or right thing is dumb, because it's been wielded by both sides for decades. I mean, who can forget One Million Moms threatening mass boycotts of JC Penney because they put Ellen DeGeneres in ad campaign?

This iteration has a snappier name, and that's really the only change. It's all still surprisingly effective given how few people truly participate, and companies are still cowards in the face of them. Same as it ever was, and same as it ever will be.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ruaumoko 2020-07-03 07:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Social media was a mistake.
It really has been the exemplar of what George Carlin said about society in general.

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6