Coronavirus Death Toll Estimation USA

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Coronavirus death toll estimation USA
Coronavirus death toll estimation USA
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 53 54 55
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-13 20:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It's only dangerous if the kids are actually effective carriers/transmitters. There is data out there that disputes that notion, but given that even the medical community can't seem to agree on anything about the virus, the truth remains to be seen.
Link to that "data" please.

Kids can get it. Kids can spread it. Kids can get REAL sick and die from it. At what rate? We have no fricking clue. We don't test kids.

There is a LOT the medical community agrees with on this. As we learn more about the virus there is more things they agree on.

We have learned that while it first invades the lungs it isn't just a respiratory disease. The protein it latches on to is expressed by every last one of our cells. Survivors have shown damage to every organ including the brain. We are learning that it can aerosolize.

We learned that Japan did it right.

We learned that we did it all wrong.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-13 20:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Paged!

Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-13 20:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh ****

Read Anna's post P 21692 Undead: Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
By Viciouss 2020-07-13 20:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

We also know that it causes a lethal inflammatory disease amongst children.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-13 21:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Link to that "data" please.

Here's a decent one. Now, the typical response to such studies is to find the first sentence that backs up your preconceived notions and post it in here as if it wins you something. However, when you take all the data into account and don't cherry pick, you realize that there is evidence for both sides of the argument and the results are inconclusive.
[+]
By volkom 2020-07-13 21:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
I think the most urban areas are going to be very slow to reopen schools. LA did a poll of their teacher's unions and unsurprisingly, 83% said nope. Texas put out its guidelines and they are basically not giving the teachers any choice at all, so as a result they are already starting to quit/refuse to show up.

not quite accurate. A lot of the decision making is being left up to the school districts. Some in the ATX area are voting on how they want to do it, whether they want to do 100% online, 100% physical or some hybrid of the two. And yes some teachers are refusing to teach in physically in person or quit, they're also being offered to teach fully online too. the 100% online model really only hurts low income families for the essentials of having a decent internet connection and computer but it also hurts any student that has many inhome distractions, learning impairments etc ~ which usually requires more teacher v student attention
[+]
By Viciouss 2020-07-13 21:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
I think the most urban areas are going to be very slow to reopen schools. LA did a poll of their teacher's unions and unsurprisingly, 83% said nope. Texas put out its guidelines and they are basically not giving the teachers any choice at all, so as a result they are already starting to quit/refuse to show up.

not quite accurate. A lot of the decision making is being left up to the school districts. Some in the ATX area are voting on how they want to do it, whether they want to do 100% online, 100% physical or some hybrid of the two. And yes some teachers are refusing to teach in physically in person or quit, they're also being offered to teach fully online too. the 100% online model really only hurts low income families for the essentials of having a decent internet connection and computer but it also hurts any student that has many inhome distractions, learning impairments etc ~ which usually requires more teacher v student attention

Where did you see that info? Because I saw last Tuesday the state put out guidelines that effectively overruled local plans.
By Prong 2020-07-13 21:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I still don't quite understand the "panic" of the increasing numbers once they started relaxing their shutdown. I said this at the start, all the shutdown does/did is help with the initial flooding of ERs across the country. Everyone who was hiding at home was just going to get it down the road once they come in contact with the virus, which is now happening. They don't have a cure, won't have a cure.

Unless the world just decides to force everyone to create products/food/supply services and give it all away for free, they can't keep going with this model. Too many parents who HAVE to work need schools open as a form of daycare. They can't simultaneously quit their jobs, home school their kids, feed their family and pay their bills. I mean, unless all those people who love urban areas finally realize cities suck, relocate to the hills and decide to become hunter/gatherers again. Which, is a viable choice, although I doubt many would be smart/not lazy enough to try it.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-13 21:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to say a thing but you know what, it's easier to just say there's no good answer. Only the least worst.

The system we have ain't gonna work. Full stop. Can't open schools, can't have babysitters, can't leave kids at home. Can't work. You're ***. It's all gonna come to a head in august.

At that point we decide, this ***is fully unsustainable or we just start literally throwing people on the fire. and hope for the best.
By Prong 2020-07-13 22:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
or we just start literally throwing people on the fire. and hope for the best.

This is probably the only viable solution at this point.
By volkom 2020-07-13 22:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did you see that info? Because I saw last Tuesday the state put out guidelines that effectively overruled local plans.

Heard it on the local news last week. So I guess it changed but reading up a lil bit more

one of the guidelnes:
Quote:
Daily on-campus learning will be available to all parents who would like their students to learn in school each day.
In addition, all parents will have the option to choose remote learning for their children, initially, or at any point as the year progresses. Parents who choose remote instruction for their students may be asked to commit to remote instruction for a full grading period (e.g. 6 or 9 weeks), but will not have to make that commitment more than two weeks in advance, so they can make a decision based on the latest public health information.

the guide do have the schools physically reopen but the parents can opt their kid in for that or go 100% online. The physical reopening afaik is mainly to benefit students who don't have all the essentials to learn from home or parents who can't afford to leave them at home alone. So there's procedures in place to maintain health and safety for the staff and students, which makes sense.
but also seems like districts are already pushing back against the guidelines

posted a few hours ago
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/education/round-rock-leander-isd-in-person-learning-fall-2020/269-8612625a-8c18-49ba-8c37-7fdfea4ca868
By Prong 2020-07-13 22:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

On the subject of becoming an agrarian society to survive, this is one of the most relaxing videos I've ever watched on YouTube of (IIRC) a young, Danish carpenter building his own home out of timber on his own land. It's 26 mins but well worth the time to watch it and I couldn't ask for a more beautiful home to live in.

Better than arguing at least.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Viciouss 2020-07-13 23:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Heard it on the local news last week. So I guess it changed but reading up a lil bit more

one of the guidelnes:
Quote:
Daily on-campus learning will be available to all parents who would like their students to learn in school each day.
In addition, all parents will have the option to choose remote learning for their children, initially, or at any point as the year progresses. Parents who choose remote instruction for their students may be asked to commit to remote instruction for a full grading period (e.g. 6 or 9 weeks), but will not have to make that commitment more than two weeks in advance, so they can make a decision based on the latest public health information.

the guide do have the schools physically reopen but the parents can opt their kid in for that or go 100% online. The physical reopening afaik is mainly to benefit students who don't have all the essentials to learn from home or parents who can't afford to leave them at home alone. So there's procedures in place to maintain health and safety for the staff and students, which makes sense.

posted a few hours ago
https://www.kvue.com/article/news/education/round-rock-leander-isd-in-person-learning-fall-2020/269-8612625a-8c18-49ba-8c37-7fdfea4ca868

The problem the teachers are having is yes they gave parents the ability to opt out, but not teachers. They have to be there 5 days a week, period. They don't feel as if their lives safety are being valued at all.
By Prong 2020-07-13 23:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

one of the guidelnes:
Quote:

posted a few hours ago

The problem the teachers are having is yes they gave parents the ability to opt out, but not teachers. They have to be there 5 days a week, period. They don't feel as if their lives safety are being valued at all.

But first responders are ok? Food service workers? Their lives worth less than teachers?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-13 23:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Kind of a gimme isn't it? Food service are the poorest most worthless unproductive members of society. Of course they're expendable.

First responders are trained, geared, and they "know the risk".

Teachers shape the future.

This is only slightly hyperbolic, you know it's how most of you think of them, except you'd throw the teachers under the bus too.
 Shiva.Zerowone
Server: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-07-14 00:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Morally Bankrupt coffee talk.

Once one kid dies from being infected and it’s traced backed to a school all this “who is expendable” nonsense will be considered villainous.
By Prong 2020-07-14 00:41:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Teachers shape the future.

Not sure what your schooling experience was, but mine was maybe 2 teachers, ever, who actually tried to teach and help kids, the rest just read from a book and took 3 months off a year.
By Prong 2020-07-14 00:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Morally Bankrupt coffee talk.

Once one kid dies from being infected and it’s traced backed to a school all this “who is expendable” nonsense will be considered villainous.

If kids die every week by the handful in drive by shootings and it barely merits a mention most the time, I hardly think the nation is going to fold when everyone is getting hit by an airborne pathogen.

Then again, you may be right, being that the media and liberals could more so use the Covid kid's death for their shouting points than the toddlers who get plugged every weekend in every major city.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-14 00:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It's true, can't even be bothered to TALK about guns being a problem, even though there's a school shooting every god damn week.

They really couldn't care less. Why would anyone be surprised they'll happily sacrifice them to covid.
By Prong 2020-07-14 00:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's true, can't even be bothered to TALK about guns being a problem, even though there's a school shooting every god damn week.

They really couldn't care less. Why would anyone be surprised they'll happily sacrifice them to covid.

I don't own guns or like them so, that's gonna fall on someone else's plate.

But all extraordinary banter aside, not a ton of drive by shootings actually hit schools. Mostly houses. But, I see what you did there.

Felt like I actually had not heard about any school shootings in some time, so I looked up Wiki, "List of School shootings in the US" and to my surprise, it seems they lump any and all shootings together, whether it be middle schools/high schools or colleges and universities and, they also include like, one vs one shooting, people with a grudge only targeting one person, etc. I was always under the impression the media terminology "school shooting" meant the single(sometimes two) shooters who come to a school and light the place up. I didn't know they also included an ex-disgruntled colleague who shot a professor in the parking lot.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-14 01:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Let’s be real, hardly anyone cares about anything that’s not spoon fed to them as a major headline. COVID is at the top of people’s minds thanks to immense exposure, and therefore they care a vastly disproportional amount more about that than the many other dangers that kids face in schools. You’d think that this was the first potentially dangerous communicable disease that kids have ever been exposed to the way that people are talking about it.
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-14 01:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Let’s be real, hardly anyone cares about anything that’s not spoon fed to them as a major headline. COVID is at the top of people’s minds thanks to immense exposure, and therefore they care a vastly disproportional amount more about that than the many other dangers that kids face in schools. You’d think that this was the first potentially dangerous communicable disease that kids have ever been exposed to the way that people are talking about it.

Shhh, people who support letting babies die on the table "comfortably" after they are born as a form of birth control will call you morally bankrupt for stating the truth.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-07-14 08:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Prong said: »

Shhh, people who support letting babies die on the table "comfortably" after they are born as a form of birth control will call you morally bankrupt for stating the truth.

*** Northam. i cant believe that *** KKK loving piece of garbage is still a democrat, and still in office.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-14 09:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

That is what they are doing in FL.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-14 09:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Felt like I actually had not heard about any school shootings in some time, so I looked up Wiki, "List of School shootings in the US" and to my surprise, it seems they lump any and all shootings together, whether it be middle schools/high schools or colleges and universities and, they also include like, one vs one shooting, people with a grudge only targeting one person, etc. I was always under the impression the media terminology "school shooting" meant the single(sometimes two) shooters who come to a school and light the place up. I didn't know they also included an ex-disgruntled colleague who shot a professor in the parking lot.
About the only thing not included in that are T shirt cannons....

But yes, not nearly all "school shootings" are mass murder attempts. If a disgruntled parent shoots out the tires of a teacher's car in the school parking lot it is a school shooting.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-14 09:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Eiryl literally means to start throwing people on the fire.

You know, the "undesirables." Then the outspoken (or those who speak outside the mob's rhetoric). Then political enemies.

You know, the stuff that happened between 1933 to 1945.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-07-14 09:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

About the only thing not included in that are T shirt cannons....

But yes, not nearly all "school shootings" are mass murder attempts. If a disgruntled parent shoots out the tires of a teacher's car in the school parking lot it is a school shooting.
And it is treated the same way as the mass murder attempts.

Got to pad those stats, yo!
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-14 10:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I think Eiryl literally means to start throwing people on the fire.

You know, the "undesirables." Then the outspoken (or those who speak outside the mob's rhetoric). Then political enemies.

You know, the stuff that happened between 1933 to 1945.

No retard, I said exactly what I said.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-14 10:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Really getting *** tired of your stupidity. It's not *** cute.
First Page 2 3 ... 29 30 31 ... 53 54 55