Https://ffxi-atlas.com/ - Is Dead?

Eorzea Time
 
 
 
Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
296 users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » https://ffxi-atlas.com/ - is dead?
https://ffxi-atlas.com/ - is dead?
 Carbuncle.Waterdust
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Waterdust
By Carbuncle.Waterdust 2020-02-07 16:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So.. I just noticed that https://ffxi-atlas.com/ died..

Does anyone know what happened to this site? who to contact? or maybe how to get the AH site here to take over it? It's been a valued map place for years and a shame to see it go..

Meanwhile.. is there anything that can do its job? an please don't just say to use the wiki or bg site maps.. none of those are setup quite as nice as atlas was an they are a drag to sift thru to resolve things.

Lastly.. if your someone who hates me, a troll, have nothing constructive to add, or just all of that; then please don't reply to this an save everyone else the time.
[+]
 Asura.Superiority
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 17
By Asura.Superiority 2020-02-07 16:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply
 
*** I am sad its gone. I still used it quite frequently! Coffer chest locations are bae.

Carbuncle.Waterdust said: »
Lastly.. if your someone who hates me, a troll, have nothing constructive to add, or just all of that; then please don't reply to this an save everyone else the time.

Only gonna poke the bear with that....
Offline
Posts: 10733
By Draylo 2020-02-07 16:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
That site was filled with viruses wssnt it?
[+]
 Shiva.Ariaum
Offline
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Ariaum
Posts: 157
By Shiva.Ariaum 2020-02-07 16:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Draylo said: »
That site was filled with viruses wssnt it?

Was ffxi somepage I think.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Waterdust
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Waterdust
By Carbuncle.Waterdust 2020-02-07 17:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
@ Draylo - Not that I ever saw?
 Asura.Aeonova
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
Posts: 729
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-07 17:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Carbuncle.Waterdust said: »
if your someone who hates me


In all seriousness, what were you needing to use that site for? To look up maps in advance of when you got to a zone? You know you can do that through the menu already. There are also dat packs that replace the plain default unmarked zone maps in-game with maps that have had important things noted. If you're not into that, you may want to go around and collect a bunch of maps from whichever FFXI website you prefer between FFXIclopedia or BGwiki and save them all to a folder for your own private use.

Also, if you go to google images and look up "wild dragon chase FFXI", you can find a bunch of marked maps like:



which are just lovely.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 10733
By Draylo 2020-02-07 17:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I remember it had something embedded that when clicked it would be a virus, somepage had it too
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Offline
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
Posts: 470
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-02-07 17:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
big +1 for wild dragon chase when it comes to ZNM flow charts, Abyssea Maps, etc. They're beautifully illustrated and logical.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 977
By Chimerawizard 2020-02-07 17:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Aeonova said: »
look up "wild dragon chase FFXI"
Wild Dragon Chase
I've had bookmarked since forever.
[+]
Offline
Posts: 1160
By fillerbunny9 2020-02-07 18:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Aeonova said: »
There are also dat packs that replace the plain default unmarked zone maps in-game with maps that have had important things noted.

are these up to date? the question was asked in the .DAT thread, but has yet to be answered.
 Carbuncle.Waterdust
Offline
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Waterdust
By Carbuncle.Waterdust 2020-02-08 00:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply
 
@ Aeon? - I used that site to link others who lacked maps an better direct them abroad.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Chakan
Posts: 85
By Odin.Foxmulder 2020-02-08 01:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Draylo said: »
I remember it had something embedded that when clicked it would be a virus, somepage had it too

It was an issue where these sites would use 3rd party ad services where they would sell ad space to practically anyone. Malicious script was loaded inside of these ads.

fillerbunny9 said: »
are these up to date? the question was asked in the .DAT thread, but has yet to be answered.

I think the last time anyone touched them was for Adoulin zones.
[+]
 Asura.Slyshenx
Online
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2020-02-09 07:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Draylo said: »
That site was filled with viruses wssnt it?

Yes, as well as the somepage website. The playerbase was told many times, multiple times via forums like BG, allakhazam, etc., to stay away from those sites until further notice. This was like 10 or so years ago, though. I haven't visited them since but also haven't heard any stories of anyone being infected by the mentioned pages in quite some time as well.
 Bismarck.Xurion
Offline
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Xurion
Posts: 415
By Bismarck.Xurion 2020-02-09 07:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply
 
More than likely due to the hella improved browser security over the past decade.
 Odin.Senaki
Offline
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
Posts: 340
By Odin.Senaki 2020-02-09 09:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply
 
It's the same reason why no one uses the ffxiclopedia anymore. Viruses/cookie spam. The BG wiki doesn't have malware, and isn't slow af.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
Posts: 1382
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-02-09 11:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Aeonova said: »
Carbuncle.Waterdust said: »
if your someone who hates me


In all seriousness, what were you needing to use that site for? To look up maps in advance of when you got to a zone? You know you can do that through the menu already. There are also dat packs that replace the plain default unmarked zone maps in-game with maps that have had important things noted. If you're not into that, you may want to go around and collect a bunch of maps from whichever FFXI website you prefer between FFXIclopedia or BGwiki and save them all to a folder for your own private use.

Also, if you go to google images and look up "wild dragon chase FFXI", you can find a bunch of marked maps like:



which are just lovely.

I cant find any current map .dat packs, please! share a link!
 Cpu
Offline
Posts: 83
By Cpu 2020-02-09 12:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Leviathan.Draugo said: »
I cant find any current map .dat packs, please! share a link!
Yeah, they’re pretty well hidden and for good reason. Please don’t share this link: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=ffxi+map+dat+pack
Offline
Posts: 42
By kaiju9 2020-02-10 12:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Agree the other map options mentioned here are great.

The one thing I'll say for atlas's layout, is that it seemed to me to be much better suited to answering the question "How do I reach zone M on map 8 of <zone with 10 maps>?" I realize that isn't really a common thing these days, but it was a pain trying to make sense of the QSC maps in 8 tabs the other day, while figuring out how to reach the proto-waypoint. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, and there's a better way. I don't remember if the in-game interface gives an easy way to cycle through maps of a multi-map zone, or if you have to go through the entire menu sequence for each map.