Forum » FFXI » General » Noesis updated! Improved compatibility and new fea
Noesis updated! Improved compatibility and new fea
 Asura.Rhianu
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2020-02-03 17:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

https://ffximodding.blogspot.com/2020/02/noesis-updated-improved-compatibility.html

Rich Whitehouse, the creator of Noesis, has recently decided to make some improvements to the program's compatibility with FFXI when users told him that Square-Enix's new game client was crashing Noesis. While Rich was fixing the problem, he added support for FFXI's bump maps, along with a new advanced command for Noesis (-ff11hton #) to automatically convert those bump maps into normal maps that can be used by modern engines, such as Unity and/or Unreal Engine 4. Make sure to update your Noesis client to the latest version (v4.4191) to get these new features!

Quote:

Rich Whitehouse
@DickWhitehouse

Revisiting FF11 after seeing a few reports on files in the latest client crashing Noesis. I decided to add support for the game's bump maps while I was at it, with an option to convert them into normal maps, which led to pretty pictures! (shots were taken with ff11hton 16)

New Advanced Commands for FFXI in Noesis version 4.4191:

FF11 Model/Data:
Command Purpose
-ff11bumpdir <arg> specify directory for bump textures.
-ff11hton <arg> convert height to normal maps, arg=z factor.
-ff11nolodchange don't try to switch to lod0.
-ff11mapbones create bones for map objects.
-ff11keepnames <arg> 1=keep map object names, 2=w/index prefix, 3=w/subobj.
-ff11noshiny no special assignment for shiny materials.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-02-03 18:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It was broke but you fixed it

[+]
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2020-02-03 18:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It was broke but you fixed it
I actually just copied the URLs in your post. Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed BBCode in OP to display images at a reasonable size.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-02-03 22:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything is working as intended.
[+]
 Asura.Rhianu
By Asura.Rhianu 2020-02-04 23:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
What is Noesis?
A model viewer program similar to FFXI Model Viewer or Altana Viewer, except that it can view zones as well as characters, and can also export character models into common 3D file formats such as FBX and OBJ, and can also export animations and skeletal rigs of characters.

More info here:

https://ffximodding.blogspot.com/2016/01/noesis-3d-model-viewer-and-extraction.html

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Everything is working as intended.
It works for us. Must be a problem on your end.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [459 days between previous and next post]
By soralin 2021-05-08 18:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo! Sorry to necro this post but Im trying to go through this process on Noesis v4.442 and encountering some issues.

So I used the example bastok markets script that was provided here (https://ffximodding.blogspot.com/2016/01/noesis-3d-model-viewer-and-extraction.html) as follows:
Code
NOESIS_SCENE_FILE 
version 1 
physicslib "" 
defaultAxis "0" 

object 
{ 
name "Environment" 
model "ROM/1/35.dat" 
loadOptions "-ff11blendhack 0.99 -ff11renderunref -ff11keepnames -ff11optimizegeo" 
}

And then the following advanced command to rotate it upright:
Code
-rotate 180 0 270

And for nearly all meshes/textures, it kind of works. The textures all seem to be decoupled from their files, so I have to go around manually re-attaching the texture's images to the textures, but they all have the same names as their image so, thats not too bad.

However, one texture in particular seems to be totally broken and I have no idea why, and its specifically the floor texture.

So for bastok markets, I get this floor texture:
https://imgur.com/a/CDXFjUM

Which the image exported looks like the bottom image, and applied it looks as, well, as you can see.

There is no secondary mesh underneath it, theres only the one ground mesh, and I do not at all see any image in the export folder that resembles the bastok markets ground texture.

I also notice, this is specifically the same texture I see that altanaviewer has labeled as "Bastok" when you can select your ground.

I'm wondering if ground textures are separated from the zone dat or something, and I need to go get that ground texture from somewhere else?

Because all the other textures, when I apply them, seem to "just work" and be correctly applied and in the correct orientation and etc.

Only this one is missing.

Anyone know if this is just a normal thing and I have to go get the ground texture from somewhere else?

Edit: AltanaViewer references the following:

Bastok 1/22 yuka

Whereas the zone dat in the file is 1/35

And grabbing it, it... looks like it? I have no idea what this model even is at 1/22, it almost looks like the mog house entrance or something?

However it absolutely does not UV map to the ground at all, so though it resembles the texture, its not the correct one and work would need to be done to remap it correctly which I presume is a headache.

Eiryl: Those pics you had up above, were those exports you did yourself? Do you mind sharing an example of what your .noesis file looked like for the zone export?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-09 21:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I just fixed the posters [img] since he did it wrong.

Sorry.

But, here's a bump, maybe they will see it. Or someone who can be of some help etc.
By soralin 2021-05-09 23:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Aw shoot, yeah it looks like Rhianu hasnt been online in quite awhile, if anyone knows a way to contact them please let em know Im looking for some help on the topic.

I've been exporting FFXI models for VR Chat, and was planning to make a whole network of FFXI zones as worlds, interlinked on zone lines so you could travel between the same way as in game.

So yeah, if anyone has insight on this, please hit me up.
[+]
By soralin 2021-05-10 00:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay awesome news update, I had to scour a bunch of posts from all around to compile the info I needed, here's the "magic" combo of commands to get a zone export that actually works in Unity. Now I will note it seems to break when I import it into blender, but it works fine for Unity so... Ill take what I can get.

First off, the .noesis file:
Code
NOESIS_SCENE_FILE 
version 1 
physicslib "" 
defaultAxis "0" 

object 
{ 
name "Environment" 
model "C:/Program Files (x86)/PlayOnline/SquareEnix/FINAL FANTASY XI/ROM/0/102.dat" 
loadOptions "-ff11blendhack 0.99 -ff11keepnames -ff11optimizegeo
}

And then for the export Advanced Options
Code
-scale 90 -rotate 180 0 -90 -fbxscalehack -fbxsmoothgroups -fbxtexrel -fbxtexext .tga

And you want to export output type to be fbx, and texture output set to .tga

If you do that, you get this result when you import into unity:

Now what you will notice is two things:

1. Things with alpha channel usage, so edges of materials up against rocks, edges of plants, etc are either wrapped in a black outside, or are just square edged when they outta have a nice smooth edge

2. Some area have a bunch of holes in em (You'll find they start showing up as you fix problem 1)

What SE has is 2 types of textures you get outut. "<texture name> explicitnoblend" and "<texture name> explicitsoftblend"

What this simply translates to is whether the material should, or should not, have its alpha channel enabled, basically if it supports transparency.

To modify textures, as all of them default to the Opaque type (no alpha) in unity, simply just click on the .fbx model in your unity import, go to the Materials tab on it, and then select "Extract Materials" and place them into a Materials folder in your assets.

Now you can modify them, and you wanna basically take every explicitsoftblend material and change it from Opaque to Cutout

A quick trick to rapidly to this is just punch in "_explicitsoftblend" into your search in the materials folder, then set every one of those to cutout.

Now in the green square there, a new problem crops up, random areas of the map get holes in them. This just seems to be some kind of glitch on noesis end, it assigned the soft blend texture instead of the no blend.

Simply just click on those areas, and then look at what texture it has. Search up the matching no blend texture and drag and drop it on, and it should just work.

I also had some cases of the inverse, where areas had the "no blend" assigned when they should have the "soft blend" and the same fix works, drag and drop the other one by the same name and it seems to fix things up nicely.

Im gonna start trying to figure out if theres an easy way to automatically get hitboxes working on this next, and if so, I hopefully can get this exported to VRChat soon!

Edit: Got it working! Simply just ticking off "Generate Collidors" on the .fbx file's Model tab generated quite functional enough colliders on everything to work for VRChat

World actually works *extremely* well out of the box, the world is a mere 11mb (most worlds are well over 100mb+), mostly I presume due to SE's solid work on optimizing the game for real performance, it was originally designed to run on PS2 so, it shows. Zones loads ultra fast, everything renders pretty well (though some small graphical glitches occur, amusingly though the same ones you'd encounter in the real game so, its pretty accurate on the export/import!)

Final selfie I took inside of VRChat of the zone with my partner as we tested it out, it was super cool running around Valkurm Dunes as a VR Taru!

[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
By alloy 2021-06-10 23:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump from the depths of hell.

So question, where do i find the bump maps? they are not in the area dat files
By RadialArcana 2021-06-11 03:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They are in a totally separate dat file.
By alloy 2021-06-11 20:03:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i found this but now how do i know what is where Lmao

https://pastebin.com/vgRM0Xq8

ugh there has to be a master file out there that tells the game where to find all these accessory dat files for each level.
By soralin 2021-06-15 01:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The texture filenames I believe correlate to the zone.

Looks like the same naming convention is used on the bump maps.

Also, looking at a couple in a row, it seems to roughly follow the same order as the zone dats, which you can find here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffximodding/comments/9ndg2d/complete_list_of_zone_dats_by_zone_id/

So for example, I have most of the zones exported into folders now for my VRXI project, and doing a quick lookup with powershell I get this:

https://imgur.com/a/fysexcx

\ROM\92\26.DAT is Konschtat.

And checking \ROM\92\27.DAT, the file names have the "or_" prefix, which is what Passhow uses, and on the zone dat list Passhow comes after Konschtat

So, going on gut instinct and knowing SE tends to be kind of organized, Im gonna guess \ROM\92\19.DAT is East Ronfaure, which is "ro" I believe.

And popping it open... yup! It is!

Easy peasy, thanks for letting me know there's bump maps to extract as well, Ill be needing these later I think for my project. I think VR Chat is cool with bump mapping
[+]
By alloy 2021-06-17 21:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey thanks for the help, what youre doing sounds AWESOME btw.

I did find what i needed but found it fast by pure luck.

And yes every zone does of course load other stuff like effetcs and models separately, nothing weird about that most games do the same, now if noesis could load those files aswell xD, but its pretty weird that bumps are not part of the dat. Probably because its an option you can turn off at least in the pc version.
By soralin 2021-06-24 19:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

alloy said: »
Probably because its an option you can turn off at least in the pc version.

I suspect that is exactly why yep.

As for all the other models, I dont know if that is even possible. Im not sure if NPC lists for zones (the model part) is even client side, I suspect that is handled server side and is part of the payload you receive as you zone in.

I think all we have client side are just the NPC names and dialogue events, but not their positions or models or etc.