Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2019-11-26 15:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

just saying that doesn't make it true.
By McDavid 2019-11-26 15:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I played on Eden for a few months early this year. It was far better and more accurate than Nasomi which is run by one guy, who is kind of a ***. I ended up quitting when the Eden devs made changes to fishing to try and limit the amount of gil coming into the economy.
By Jetackuu 2019-11-26 15:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
just saying that doesn't make it true.
No the fact that it is true makes it true.

The fact that you have nostalgia glasses doesn't invalidate it either.
By spengler 2019-11-26 16:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So many insecure people here. One expects it from draylo, but the rest of you forcing your opinions on others. Pathetic
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-11-26 17:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

spengler said: »
So many insecure people here. One expects it from draylo, but the rest of you forcing your opinions on others. Pathetic
You're using a lot of words that you apparently don't know the meaning of. LOL'd.
By McDavid 2019-11-26 17:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinion = fact now, don't you know that?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2019-11-26 18:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

75 FFXI was the best. New content never rarely made old content obsolete and by the end of WoTG. FFXI had a diverse endgame that most of it was relevant.

Post 75 FFXI the game shifted to making gear obsolete and creating catch up mechanics and it has continued to do this and for me, it makes the game unplayable. Rather than growing and expanding my character it just felt I was on a treadmill trying to stop my character from being obsolete or nerfed or at worst unplayable with my friends.

I know some people prefer that system, which is evident because of how popular WoW is and still is (same system) and power to them but honestly, getting the gear now is nowhere near the feeling you got back then.

For example, the day I got my Adaman hauberk for DRK, it was insane for years I'd seen them thinking I'd never get one they are so rare and hard to get and not only it was a dream come true it was the feeling that I was DONE with needing a tp body for DRK. Sorry but current FFXI can't do this.

Now if I get a Best in slot gear it's just the feeling of ok cool.. in 6-12 months it'll be replaced making it feel less amazing or valuable.

In context to a private server, I wouldn't play on them cause it take so long to achieve things in 75 FFXI and they could be taken down at any time, so I guess retail FFXI > private servers.
[+]
By Draylo 2019-11-26 18:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that isn't true, we still use gear from the damn level 75 cap... You people are exaggerating so hard.
By Jetackuu 2019-11-26 19:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Did this guy just compare current XI to wow? The delusion is strong with this one...

The nostalgia glasses are strong as well.

Not to mention that the gear thing isn't even close to being accurate, lolwtf...

As for "rare" items, see: omen body drop rates.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2019-11-26 19:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »
75 FFXI was the best. New content never rarely made old content obsolete and by the end of WoTG. FFXI had a diverse endgame that most of it was relevant.

Post 75 FFXI the game shifted to making gear obsolete and creating catch up mechanics and it has continued to do this and for me, it makes the game unplayable. Rather than growing and expanding my character it just felt I was on a treadmill trying to stop my character from being obsolete or nerfed or at worst unplayable with my friends.

I know some people prefer that system, which is evident because of how popular WoW is and still is (same system) and power to them but honestly, getting the gear now is nowhere near the feeling you got back then.

For example, the day I got my Adaman hauberk for DRK, it was insane for years I'd seen them thinking I'd never get one they are so rare and hard to get and not only it was a dream come true it was the feeling that I was DONE with needing a tp body for DRK. Sorry but current FFXI can't do this.

Now if I get a Best in slot gear it's just the feeling of ok cool.. in 6-12 months it'll be replaced making it feel less amazing or valuable.

In context to a private server, I wouldn't play on them cause it take so long to achieve things in 75 FFXI and they could be taken down at any time, so I guess retail FFXI > private servers.

So much of the gear was also irrelevant. It was hard to get people to do sea because the upgrades were minor and the content was so frustrating. You got to a point where once people were "finished" sky, they refused to go back in because *** sky. If you weren't botting and lucky you wouldn't likely get to even see king drops at all.

The population dwindled hard towards the end of ToAU era simply because once people capped their merits and got basic gear, the effort to grind ratio was a major turn off for most people.

Nowadays HQ gear is more than +1 (it's like +5 or +10!) and it can still last for years. And you also cycle through. My AF+1 was BiS when it came out for months, and now 5 years later I use my AF+3 in multiple gear sets. I still have multiple pieces from SR in use, that's from August 2015. Longer than almost the entire 75 era I played. So while there are more regular updates to gear, in a lot of cases that's from better itemization, and further reforging old gear. Instead of total trash pieces in the 75 era, unlike say...most pieces from the AF+1 sets from Limbus...
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-26 19:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Except that isn't true, we still use gear from the damn level 75 cap... You people are exaggerating so hard.

Loquacious and Brutal earrings say hi. So does Dring. Yup, we still use some lv75 gear, and I'd wager a shiny penny that 99% of it is accessories due to the non iLvl penalty.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2019-11-26 20:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Draylo said: »

Loquacious and Brutal earrings say hi. So does Dring. Yup, we still use some lv75 gear, and I'd wager a shiny penny that 99% of it is accessories due to the non iLvl penalty.

The point wasn't about the accessories and stuff but how All Head/Body/Glove/Legs/Feet/Weapon got mostly replaced in 75-99 and then totally replace with iLvL content.

Previous FFXI didn't make old gear so useless like it did. I preferred the horizontal progression. Like I preferred how +1 was then than it is now.

Like to be fair I think the dev team has done a great job and made FFXI probably the best game it could be with the resources they had.

Basically, I preferred 75 FFXI and the horizontal gear progression when they changed the power creep and constantly trying to keep up just so I can play my jobs in new content was less enjoyable and current FFXI just isn't for me.

As for was it a bad thing, hell no. A new player can play FFXI story from start to finish then play some endgame which is decent which if you put it next to classic FFXI it's better in ease of access sense but for me, almost all of the things that made me like the game is gone.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-26 21:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

actually I was trying to say sort of the same thing- there's no non-iLvl main slot gear (the ones you mention) that is functional any more because of the level correction on iLvl gear.

as a RDM and BLM primarily (ok let's be honest, its all I played) in 75 FFXI, I remember all too well how much we fought for simple things like one piddly "+1 Refresh" on a single piece of gear, the Dalmatica, or the impossibly good Aureole that came from a mythical untouchable source....all for +7macc. Now we toss out those stats like its halloween on the rich kids street.

But they've changed the game to justify the stat explosion (even beyond level correction that is necessary if you don't expand the level cap, but essentially want to make players a higher level) by introducing mobs that justify insane levels of Macc, crazy Meva, and some of the other stats that used to be incredibly rare to the point of getting maybe +5 in a gearset to the +hundreds we have now. So the growth has been good.

As for things becoming obsolete in just a few months, its not that bad. Yes, every 2-3 years we seem to get some major revamp in gear....be it escha, omen, dyna-D, new HTBFs....or the hopefully some day coming empy+3. But with the stagnancy of new CONTENT in the game, its the best way to keep people playing with a few new stats imported on to old gear models done in a week or so of office work vs years of development and work to get an expansion and true battles/story/content off the ground. If nothing else, its business-efficient.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2019-11-26 22:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Old FFXI never made gear obsolete?

Walahra Turban
By Draylo 2019-11-26 22:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

People still use TP bonus weapons that are non-ilevel, I don't see why visible equipment only matters but not accessories. My point is we still use gear from different eras of the game, they aren't always automatically killed every other update like in XIV.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By gunn 2019-11-26 23:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't wait till the next lvl 75 era thread to start in two weeks.
[+]
By daemun 2019-11-27 09:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
daemun said: »
Fortnite

Oh I see, you're a troll. Please tell me you're trolling...
I don't play it, but the game is quite popular with my 10 and 13 year olds.

It didn't take long for your constant shade to come out. Not everyone that thinks differently from you is an idiot or a troll. Maybe one day you'll grow up to find a world full of different people living their own lives.
By daemun 2019-11-27 09:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

McDavid said: »
I played on Eden for a few months early this year. It was far better and more accurate than Nasomi which is run by one guy, who is kind of a ***. I ended up quitting when the Eden devs made changes to fishing to try and limit the amount of gil coming into the economy.
I got my son and I up and running last night on Eden. I read through the rules and noticed the fishing was changed to prevent bot fishing.

He really enjoyed it for a while, then died several times because he was just wandering around away from me and kept aggroing Orcs. We're going to give it one more go.

His words, "I hope this gets more fun, because I think Dark Souls will do what we want to do better." If he continues to think he can just go wherever whenever he's going to be done with the game before it even starts and I'll be glad I did this test on a private server than bother with buying a month for two accounts.
By daemun 2019-11-27 09:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

gunn said: »
Can't wait till the next lvl 75 era thread to start in two weeks.
This wasn't supposed to be that.

I made one line in my opening comment that I would prefer a lvl 75 place because it's what I am familiar with and I want the game to be less accessible to show my son how it was when I started in this game...all the while giving him the direction and information that was sorely missing in 2003-2005.

People felt the need to bash home how much objectively better the >75 game was although it wasn't really what I was asking for direction on.

Would have been real easy to say "x and x are the best places to try 75 cap, and here's a couple of ways to try out 99+ if you want or find the 75 options lacking"

But we all know that's not how the internet works.
By volkom 2019-11-27 09:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but weren't many of the story mission fights pretty hard during 75 cap and finding people to do them took days? At least on retail you can solo most of it and enjoy the story and go about it at your own pace
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-11-27 10:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fortnite

Oh I see, you're a troll. Please tell me you're trolling...
I don't play it, but the game is quite popular with my 10 and 13 year olds.

It didn't take long for your constant shade to come out. Not everyone that thinks differently from you is an idiot or a troll. Maybe one day you'll grow up to find a world full of different people living their own lives.
lol'd almost some quality trolling there, guy.

6/10
By Jetackuu 2019-11-27 10:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Maybe my memory is fuzzy but weren't many of the story mission fights pretty hard during 75 cap and finding people to do them took days? At least on retail you can solo most of it and enjoy the story and go about it at your own pace

Some were annoying, until they removed the level cap on them (rank 5-1 comes to mind).

A few of the latter fights were easier with a group or lowman, definitely but a lot stopped at rank 6 for ZM access and stopped.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-27 10:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You're thinking almost exclusively of the the time when Nation missions and Chains of Promathia missions had level caps placed on them. I'm sure many of us remember the days of holding on to 30,40, and 50 cap gear because unlike today's level-sync, when you got capped to a lower level your gear didn't scale- you couldn't even equip it.

Something like the Mammets fight in CoP that forced a 30 cap upon players who had been quite comfortably strong at 75 really changed the style of battles. Limited spells and abilities, limited gear without any real bonuses beyond maybe an INT+2 becoming your BiS gear.

Fights like the infamous "Airship Battle" or Nation Mission 5:1 were famous roadblocks in the capped world. It required finding 6 people who were a)all on the mission, b)the right mix of jobs, c)competent, and d) had the appropriate level cap gear. So yeah, you could spend days just trying to find a group, then a few runs to learn the fight and refine what you were doing, all while hoping the group didn't blow up because your WHM got an invite to a "better" group and already cleared it during the afternoon the rest of your group was in class.

From the sense of raw difficulty, they weren't that hard. They had a lot of artificial constraints placed on them through the level cap system and lack of gear scaling that forced you to have the same job geared at multiple levels, and be comfortable playing it at different levels. This didn't mean the fights were harder than today's fights- shown by the fact that they're soloable while stoned today without changing the enemies themselves.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-11-27 10:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought the mammets were 40?

Quite frankly I wish they'd put options on those fights to be able to do them as intended. But hey, I guess that is what htmb are all about.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-27 10:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought the mammets were 40?

Quite frankly I wish they'd put options on those fights to be able to do them as intended. But hey, I guess that is what htmb are all about.

Think ya might be right. Been so long all I remember about that fight for sure was bringing two RDM/NINs as kiters while everyone else killed the 3rd, then the 1st kiter's mammet, then the last. I did that fight so many damn times on RDM/NIN lol....
By daemun 2019-11-27 11:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

You're thinking almost exclusively of the the time when Nation missions and Chains of Promathia missions had level caps placed on them. I'm sure many of us remember the days of holding on to 30,40, and 50 cap gear because unlike today's level-sync, when you got capped to a lower level your gear didn't scale- you couldn't even equip it.

Something like the Mammets fight in CoP that forced a 30 cap upon players who had been quite comfortably strong at 75 really changed the style of battles. Limited spells and abilities, limited gear without any real bonuses beyond maybe an INT+2 becoming your BiS gear.

Fights like the infamous "Airship Battle" or Nation Mission 5:1 were famous roadblocks in the capped world. It required finding 6 people who were a)all on the mission, b)the right mix of jobs, c)competent, and d) had the appropriate level cap gear. So yeah, you could spend days just trying to find a group, then a few runs to learn the fight and refine what you were doing, all while hoping the group didn't blow up because your WHM got an invite to a "better" group and already cleared it during the afternoon the rest of your group was in class.

From the sense of raw difficulty, they weren't that hard. They had a lot of artificial constraints placed on them through the level cap system and lack of gear scaling that forced you to have the same job geared at multiple levels, and be comfortable playing it at different levels. This didn't mean the fights were harder than today's fights- shown by the fact that they're soloable while stoned today without changing the enemies themselves.
COP prommy fights were my kryptonite. I failed them probably 50x because we always either had a couple of incompetent people in the group, or 1 moron that didn't listen to the instructions.

When I finally found a PUG that knocked the first one out, we all just kept going. 18 hours later we were watching the COP end credits and picking out our rings. We had company over that day and I grilled out for them, continually jumping back into the group as we moved on to the next mission, only talking during the periods of CS/chat.

Yeah, almost ended up divorced that day because of it, but I knew how important finishing that content was to my character and how hard it was to clear with pugs.

That kind of stuff I certainly don't miss. Uncapping some of the missions and BCNMs make them absolutely laughably easy now, but I suppose that tradeoff was necessary. Especially after the player count started to plummet.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2019-11-27 12:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Basically, I preferred 75 FFXI and the horizontal gear progression when they changed the power creep and constantly trying to keep up just so I can play my jobs in new content was less enjoyable and current FFXI just isn't for me.

I won't judge what you like or not about the game, but this strikes me as odd. Horizontal is no progression, the progression happens on the vertical axis.

I guess if you want no progression possible, private servers would be perfect, it's probably easier to move on to another game if you can claim you've effectively finished the game.

Horizontal progression does have progression like in an expansion the goal was to clear new content (story/assault), level new jobs and new endgame. Best example I can think of, was the impact DNC had to the game it allowed a lot of dps to self-heal and solo old content without replacing old content.

Gear wise power creep was slow meaning if your job was decent it would stay decent the entire expansion meaning rather than regrinding/regearing you could focus on new things rather than the old, yea new gear would come out and get 5% more dmg/healing/minus dmg taken which in old content made it easier but never a joke.

As for finishing the game, I was never done and a long way off in 75 FFXI always had something new to do because stuff took so long but it always felt I was building on a character. For context, by end of ToAU I had 400 days playtime and was a joint leader of an endgame LS of 40-20 people.

Anyway, like I said the having to regear and regrind my job over and over is what killed FFXI for me, like I had 5 jobs with 2-3 basically top tier and having to regrind just so I can compete was much less fun than exploring, leveling new jobs and unlocking new content.

I won't, however, say current FFXI did it wrong because there is a lot I like w/Abyssea, Seekers and Rhap. Like how you had to talk to NPC to learn the story of the content in Abyssea and how you unlock Atmas to make the content easier/doable. Seeker adding new zones, with new mechanics/systems and Rhap giving FFXI a send off which was amazing!
Also, the QoL teleing around/REMA being soloable and I enjoyed too and the mastery system.

Just like I said losing access to everything I worked months/year for being only able to play 2 of the 5 jobs I work to gear and having to regrind my relics over and over and over when all I wanted to do was enjoy new content was what made me give up.

Either way, I've written too much but my point is that post-Abyssea the game changed and it felt like I was just trying to make sure I could play things I had already invested tons of time in (jobs/relics) rather than working on improving my character and doing new content.
By Jetackuu 2019-11-27 12:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

the having to regear and regrind my job over and over
Except this isn't true, at all.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]