Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Windower » General » One Ring to Rule them all
One Ring to Rule them all
By Felgarr 2019-07-07 11:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This ring was a big source of contention for me, because you have to choose between augmenting functions of one job (or many jobs) ...or being a great crafter. I chose the former.

I also considered the relative upgrade potential of each +1 ring. (I think Schneddick is the worst ring to +1 only because of how similar it is to the NQ version).

I chose Weatherspoon because I play PLD, RNG and BLU, but namely because it's best in slot for each of the augments that it offers. I also like playing with capped Quick Magic+10 whenever possible.

I chose TP Bonus +250 on my moonshade earring to augment DD weaponskills for DRK/SAM/etc, and I have Epaminondas Ring (WSD+5%) so I don't feel so bad not-picking Kariyeh/Kariyeh +1.

I think those 2 augment choices give me an even spread as far as augments go, that a lot of jobs I play can benefit from.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-07 11:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Vocane also adds breath, 8 more MDT if shell drops or is dispelled, and has the knockback-(yea, I know everyone cheats with anchor, but it's supposed to have value). Cure potency received is meh, but it's still something.

Given the choice between the 2 at no cost, you'd be insane to pick gelatinous+1, so it definitely doesn't 'ruin' vocane. It's the best alternative, sure.
By Taint 2019-07-07 12:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

Vocane also adds breath, 8 more MDT if shell drops or is dispelled, and has the knockback-(yea, I know everyone cheats with anchor, but it's supposed to have value). Cure potency received is meh, but it's still something.

Given the choice between the 2 at no cost, you'd be insane to pick gelatinous+1, so it definitely doesn't 'ruin' vocane. It's the best alternative, sure.

Well it’s breath/mdt,knock back vs every other ring.

Kari+1 is far from trash and didn’t make your list. 4wsdmg is 15-20 main stat making it best for a lot of jobs. With this game so WS focused now it should be the goal of any DD main. Some jobs like BLU don’t have an option close to it. (Kari+1/epa)
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-07-07 12:36:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Kari+1 is well under 1% DPS for everyone that uses it, and isn't even used by every job. It's not anywhere near the same level as weatherspoon for trueflight, and unless you only value DPS above everything else I don't see it as a valuable piece. The only time you'll get significant value is if you have so much downtime you're opening fights with regain frequently.

I can see why someone would choose it, but I can't honestly agree with it. This game has never been about DPS, despite what all the *** wavers want to think, even the hardest content in the game has pitiful damage checks. All the argument about efficiency goes out the window when you realize even the top end players spend 3x as long sitting in town babbling how great they are to each other as actually doing content.
By Afania 2019-07-07 12:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Kari+1 is well under 1% DPS for everyone that uses it, and isn't even used by every job. It's not anywhere near the same level as weatherspoon for trueflight, and unless you only value DPS above everything else I don't see it as a valuable piece. The only time you'll get significant value is if you have so much downtime you're opening fights with regain frequently.

I can see why someone would choose it, but I can't honestly agree with it. This game has never been about DPS, despite what all the *** wavers want to think, even the hardest content in the game has pitiful damage checks. All the argument about efficiency goes out the window when you realize even the top end players spend 3x as long sitting in town babbling how great they are to each other as actually doing content.

The dps check of the game may be low, I still value it more than 18% movement speed ring lol.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-07-07 12:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Orvail if you have or plan to make an escutcheon.

Weatherspoon if you're hxcore rng.

definitely seconding this. I can't see a reason to get anything that augments crafting in today's game unless you have an escutcheon. The crafting game just isn't competitive without that shield, so why waste a ring choice.

I originally got a Weatherspoon ring for my RDM, but as I leveled up RNG and fell in love with the pewpew, I found more reasons to hold on to it for that job than ever on RDM. If there was a quest-related +Dark Damage ring for CORs to use on Leaden vs the benefits Weatherspoon gives to Trueflight, there wouldn't even be a discussion among the playerbase. However, CORs get it lucky with purchasable +Dark augmenting gear like the Archon Ring and Pixie Hairpin+1. There's just not an equivalent Light-based option outside of Weatherspoon...but know when you pick it, only your RNG really gets the full weight of its bonus.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-07-07 12:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

The dps check of the game may be low, I still value it more than 18% movement speed ring lol.

I used to be an adventurer like you until I took the Shneddick ring.

It was never the same without it.
By Taint 2019-07-07 13:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hard to argue the hard truth.

People skip meals to buy Gil for 1str da TA WSdmg. Most support jobs are played to support that same players DD jobs. You are correct the small DPS increases are not nearly worth what players do to get them, but those small increments also keep our addiction going. (And the game alive)

At least with Kari+1 we all have 3000tp ready to unleash in /yell. :p
[+]
By Afania 2019-07-07 13:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
but those small increments also keep our addiction going.

This +1. Probably what people that mostly multibox won't get. You know what feels worse than running without Shneddick ring?

Lose parse by 1%. >:(

Its like watching NBA championship then your favorite team lose the game by 1 point.

The point of playing video game is to feel good so everything else is irrelevant :)

now if people setup Marathon game in the field with traps spamming bind petrify gravity slowing them down Id consider Shneddick ring for extra chance to win the marathon. Otherwise movement speed doesn't add much to the feelings.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-07-07 13:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

the only thing that bothers me about schneddick ring is the fact that a VERY limited few jobs are required to use it in order to get to 18% while other jobs get several options in order to reach it.

Why force some jobs to take a 1-time reward option to match something so basic as running speed when other jobs can go beat a Unity mob and get it, or buy a cheap HQ cursed piece and get a relatively easy abjuration to achieve it?

If it was merely an option for all jobs, not a forced choice, I'd be fine with it. But when I swap over to my BLM and realize I'm slower than I'm used to only because I chose a reward that boosted a stat used in battle over a QoL choice...well, then I'm irked.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-07-07 14:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
the only thing that bothers me about schneddick ring is the fact that a VERY limited few jobs are required to use it in order to get to 18% while other jobs get several options in order to reach it.

Why force some jobs to take a 1-time reward option to match something so basic as running speed when other jobs can go beat a Unity mob and get it, or buy a cheap HQ cursed piece and get a relatively easy abjuration to achieve it?

If it was merely an option for all jobs, not a forced choice, I'd be fine with it. But when I swap over to my BLM and realize I'm slower than I'm used to only because I chose a reward that boosted a stat used in battle over a QoL choice...well, then I'm irked.

That's the whole point of the ring choices. You either get a marginal increase for multiple jobs that is so miniscule that you wouldn't notice or a fantastic boost to a single job OR a convenient inventory and time save with the "One True Ring"®️