You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 97 98 99
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-01-22 10:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
We as a community should stop "has to be best or has no place".

I'm not sure "we as a community" actually said this. Career RNGs or FFXI lifers can/will make any weapon they feel like, for any reason, but mostly for their personal collection. I made Gandiva back in the day because I was a JR fanboy and that's what drew me into it. Had there been conversations and detailed weapon use data back then like we are having now, I probably would not have bothered making one. I have about 3 "regret" weapons I would have preferred not to make, but I did it anyways just to see for myself. It is what it is, I play my own game so there are no "mistakes" in my mind because I'll find something to use it on, lol. It doesn't change what anyone else was already saying about the weapons, but the rankings give future owners the knowledge before they plunge into that kind of debt. They should be seen as useful information for everyone, not deterrents from making it. You make your own informed decision, but when people present detailed use case scenarios for each weapon, like Demhar did, it is very much appreciated for players like myself who might not want to "make it and see for myself", since RNG is like 10th on my list of job priorities.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-22 13:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The journey from what is accepted meta and "its my 12.95" play styles isn't so much a casual roll down a grassy slope as it is a gaping chasm of a cliff. Often we aren't as accepting of things that are good but not best in this game. The typical argument given is "you're working with other people, you should do what works for them"- ie not wasting others' real time.

But when a game doesn't release content that requires more powerful gear for over 5 years, but yet more powerful gear comes, it frees up such variety. Battles and instances aren't so challenging that only one setup works- we have an era of the game right now where the strats used by groups are more based around that groups' talents vs needs of the fight.

-Got a shell with great shooters? Range Strat stuff.
-Got a shell with amazing pet job characters? You can win with that, too.
-Got a shell blessed with high end PLD tanks? guess what, that still works.

And the list goes on and on. The problem becomes some things in this game aren't conducive to winning, and knowing what is just "the spice of life" and what is "detrimental to success". And finally, combining one's desires to try something off-path with the means and research to pull it off.

We as Rangers are in a great place when the strat used is built around our success. As such, our variety comes from how we approach damage dealing, and then adjusting our support to make it happen. We can't force our way into success like trying to pound that proverbial square peg in a round hole- but we can bring in help to change the hole if a different peg is desired.

The biggest things to remember in my book are the following:

1. Your whole team has to be on board for "new" things. Can't just have one person in your group doing their own thing and expect good parses and success.

2. You have to put aside desires to post that new record win video in lieu of personal enjoyment. Some players are addicted to doing things first or fastest. Others just want to do something different. And yet others just want a win- style and quality of that win doesn't matter one lick.

3. Surround yourself in game with similar-minded folk. A "SMN BURN ALL THE THINGS!!!" player who loves their AF/AC Summoner isn't going to have much fun in a group of players who hate that way of killing things. A Ranger dedicated to that job and what it can do isn't gonna have much fun with people who want to punch stuff only. And probably most important- the creative person who wants to try new things is gonna face a lot of resistance if in a group who just want the win and then get back to their own agenda.

sometimes, things aren't going to work, though, due either to limitations of a job or requirements of a fight. Its on the 'creative' player to know the difference between trying to have fun and attempting things that simply won't work due to basic designs/restrictions in the game- the same way someone in the real world must know the difference between trying a new technology out vs ignoring that gravity exists and jumping off a cliff holding a garbage bag as a parachute. You gotta have your fun within the confines of the rules of the world you are in.
[+]
By eliroo 2021-01-22 15:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

We as a community should stop "has to be best or has no place".

I think the poster was talking more about how they wished they invested elsewhere. No one is saying "best or has no place" but rather "If you(or I) had limited funds and wanted the most BANG for your buck, here is how you should spend it".

If I started building a Gandiva for AM3 Damage and learned that Arma outperformed it, I would be a little bitter about wasting time and money.

Fortunately, I will be building a Gandiva because I want to use it and will subsequently grief my group of my friends with Decoy shot shenanigans the moment I get it.
By SimonSes 2021-01-22 15:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw I posted that Arma beats Gandiva for white dps like idk a year ago? None really cared if I remember correctly. Only difference this time I decided to actually make whole spreadsheet to support it (and I wanted to actually check what dps we are talking about here too). Sheets seems to have magical powers of persuasion :P
[+]
 Asura.Bigtymer
Server: Asura
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2021-01-22 15:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Btw I posted that Arma beats Gandiva for white dps like idk a year ago? None really cared if I remember correctly. Only difference this time I decided to actually make whole spreadsheet to support it (and I wanted to actually check what dps we are talking about here too). Sheets seems to have magical powers of persuasion :P

Math talks, anecdotes walk.
 Asura.Bigtymer
user: olson2189
By Asura.Bigtymer 2021-01-22 15:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I do appreciate you putting it together. I plan to spot check it at some point, if no one beats me to it.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-22 15:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Showing of numbers makes pp hard. Don't have to be accurate numbers, or real numbers, or possible numbers, just numbers in general.
[+]
By eliroo 2021-01-22 15:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

I think your original post made me focus more on my Arma, if that is any comfort. The spreadsheets are great though!
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-22 16:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

the greatest gifts that Armageddon brings to the table don't show up on a spreadsheet, though.

-functionality on two jobs.
-versatility in the heat of the moment.

These things can't be quantitatively measured- because they're honestly immeasurably good.

Let's keep this momentum going- and let the ranged job shoot!
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2021-01-22 16:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
the greatest gifts that Armageddon brings to the table don't show up on a spreadsheet, though.

-functionality on two jobs.
-versatility in the heat of the moment.
-devastating bullets! -For when your burned bard doesn't have predludes and only minuets!(Ok they kinda show up on the spreadsheet)

These things can't be quantitatively measured- because they're honestly immeasurably good.

Let's keep this momentum going- and let the ranged job shoot!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-01-22 16:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Showing of numbers makes pp hard. Don't have to be accurate numbers, or real numbers, or possible numbers, just numbers in general.

Or videos. Just show a video. Doesn't have to be the right context. Just show it. (Monster takes +100% damage) Not important. I do 99k WSs with "this" weapon. See video. (isnt this what made Kraken Club skyrocket in the first place?)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-22 17:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »

Or videos. Just show a video. Doesn't have to be the right context. Just show it. (Monster takes +100% damage) Not important. I do 99k WSs with "this" weapon. See video. (isnt this what made Kraken Club skyrocket in the first place?)

And don't forget "3 minute VD Ambu Vol. 1 win" videos using 2hrs. No one cares- they're looking for a spammable concept, not some epeen video you either have to waste 10 minutes resetting 2hrs every time.
[+]
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-01-22 17:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno how this devolved into what it is now I was just curious if actually gearing for true shot when at the appropriate distance made a meaningful difference in overall white damage when under AM3 for Gandiva. It seems it does so I am happy.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-01-22 18:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of KC, is there a reason Tauret is mainhand in the KC/Trueflight set and not Malev?

I got a Tauret today, still have to go through seekers to get a couple Malevolences though.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-01-22 18:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »
Speaking of KC, is there a reason Tauret is mainhand in the KC/Trueflight set and not Malev?

I got a Tauret today, still have to go through seekers to get a couple Malevolences though.

If merely shooting, Malevolences are definitely incredible for your damage. But its a really weak melee weapon. Tauret provides nice boosts to damage via high magic damage and respectable MAB, some security to Trueflights landing unresisted with good macc, and some DEX and melee accuracy to help during the TP'ing phase.
[+]
By eeternal 2021-02-03 23:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

People with Foma R15, is it worth upgrading it? is the damage from last stand noticeable after augmenting it?
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-02-04 00:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

eeternal said: »
People with Foma R15, is it worth upgrading it? is the damage from last stand noticeable after augmenting it?

Depends what other weapons you have.
Been using Arma R15 lately a lot, and honestly don't miss Fomal R15. Yes, WS dmg is noticeable. For short zerg fight I find it useful.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-02-04 01:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It gets more noticeable in a high-buff situation, but I would spend money on augmenting other weapons first, if you haven't already.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-04 01:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If you've got multiple ranged RMEAs, the difference/improvement to the others is more noticeable. I didn't really feel like I was getting my Swart's worth until around R10!

Aeonics get the smallest improvement to their related WS of all the RMEAs- I say this looking at Empyreans as they get both a boost to their important base stat+a WS modifier, so even though they tie Aeonic for the lowest boost directly, the indirect boost is there for Empyreans.

Definitely drop one in for the pouch^^ Being able to pop more ammo without losing TP can be worth it.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-02-04 09:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Demhar said: »

Depends what other weapons you have.
Been using Arma R15 lately a lot, and honestly don't miss Fomal R15. Yes, WS dmg is noticeable. For short zerg fight I find it useful.

I concur; once I finished arma(r15) I put fomal(r15) in my locker. The last stand may be slightly lower, but the white dmg pulls it way ahead.

In before we mention melee, cor using savage melee > cor using last stand melee.
[+]
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-02-05 19:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished Gastraphetes. Super pumped, burning through trials.. Then BAM Arrapago Remnants, Armored Chariot... (see you in two more days.. lol)

Just returning myself to endgame content, what situations would you guys use Gastra over say, r15 Anni? Any specific endgame battles?
By Crossbones 2021-02-05 20:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Totally different weapons. Use gastra whenever you want to use true flight. Dyna is probably the most common, wave 3 specifically.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-05 20:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished Gastraphetes. Super pumped, burning through trials.. Then BAM Arrapago Remnants, Armored Chariot... (see you in two more days.. lol)

Complete tangent, but could SE please remove the once per RL day restriction on just NQ Arrapago Remnants? Leave it for the Remnants II if they truly feel that's still important these days, but doing mythic trials that include Armored Chariot vs the others is just crippling. Hell, when I did my gastraphetes trials I even went one run without getting a ranged/ammo unlock, so I couldn't even do the trial with weapon equipped that run, so it took 4 days.

ON TOPIC- Crossbones nailed it, they're used in completely different situations with zero crossover (between Gastraphetes and Annihilator). I'd never consider using Anni if I need magical WSs over other non-Gastra RMEA options of Fomalhaut (TP bonus for Trueflight) or Armageddon (crazy extra AGI for both Wildfire and Trueflight). Anni brings nothing to help out those WSs.

Conversely, Gastraphetes is a very underwhelming weapon for physical damage. About the only time I'd use Last Stand with it is when a mob pops Elemental Sforzo.
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-02-06 00:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Complete tangent, but could SE please remove the once per RL day restriction on just NQ Arrapago Remnants? Leave it for the Remnants II if they truly feel that's still important these days, but doing mythic trials that include Armored Chariot vs the others is just crippling. Hell, when I did my gastraphetes trials I even went one run without getting a ranged/ammo unlock, so I couldn't even do the trial with weapon equipped that run, so it took 4 days.

ON TOPIC- Crossbones nailed it, they're used in completely different situations with zero crossover (between Gastraphetes and Annihilator). I'd never consider using Anni if I need magical WSs over other non-Gastra RMEA options of Fomalhaut (TP bonus for Trueflight) or Armageddon (crazy extra AGI for both Wildfire and Trueflight). Anni brings nothing to help out those WSs.

Conversely, Gastraphetes is a very underwhelming weapon for physical damage. About the only time I'd use Last Stand with it is when a mob pops Elemental Sforzo.

haha mine was 4 days here too on chariot trials... the ammo slot didn't drop...it was a sad day -.-' Gastra is beautiful specially R15. I really like how fast it is and Trueflight hits hard. For Omen Trueflight can one shoot trash mobs its pretty fun. In Dyna and in any content where magic dmg needed you will be having some good fun! Congrats!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-06 04:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

oh- I'm actually bitching about that because I'm doing trials for something else in there right now. Gastra was my 2nd RMEA after getting a Fomalhaut and the Ranger bug biting, about 3 years ago now?
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-02-06 17:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I concur; once I finished arma(r15) I put fomal(r15) in my locker. The last stand may be slightly lower, but the white dmg pulls it way ahead.

I have both at R15 and I mostly agree. While not relevant to the question of whether augmenting Fomal is worth it, always worth keeping in mind that having both at AG stage is still worthwhile due to the Armageddon + Chrono Bullets combo being great for physical-oriented ranged DPS. But yeah, you could still put the gun in your locker as long as you keep the ammo belt out ;)

Personally, the main thing I use my Fomal for on RNG is 1-shotting Dyna statues with Trueflight (I also use it on COR with Leaden for the same purpose). It's nice to need less TP for a WS that will still kill a stat, so I prefer it to Arma. However... big caveat, I don't have Gastra (yet) or Death Penalty. Not sure how the damage stacks up if you WS at 2250tp TF on Fomal (i.e., effectively a 3000tp WS) versus WS at 2250tp on Gastra, but even if Fomal wins for that purpose it's probably better overall to just use the Mythic for total Dyna DPS since you're prob shooting some stuff for DPS too, and not only killing statues.

FWIW, I do pull the Fomal out more often on COR. I feel that Arma is a little less impressive on COR due to lacking the huge amount of Dead Aim RNG gets (which works so well with Empy AM for white damage). But again, that's speaking as a COR with only 2/3 REMAs - no DP.
 Ragnarok.Nightmarelord
Server: Ragnarok
user: BushinNmL
By Ragnarok.Nightmarelord 2021-02-09 05:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So um. i think se really dislikes rng.

WTF? (is there a situation where this is actually valid? like are there any stackable bullets where we need this? my recycle set is like YO *** YOU DAWG.)

Exeter

DMG:150 Delay:600 AGI+30
Ranged Accuracy+40
Magic Accuracy+40
Marksmanship skill +269
"Store TP"+10
Ammunition that can be stacked will not be consumed
Lv. 99~ RNG COR
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-02-09 06:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it interesting for pure shooting times on Corsair, but yes, zero use I can see at face value for Ranger.

Had it worked with the DI ammunition, this+ hauksbrok bullet would have made a VERY interesting hybrid build that would be 1/3 Gastra, 1/3 Foma, and 1/3 Arma.

Oh well. I'm more upset the model is pretty badass and zero use for it.
 Ragnarok.Nightmarelord
Server: Ragnarok
user: BushinNmL
By Ragnarok.Nightmarelord 2021-02-09 06:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just returning myself to endgame content, what situations would you guys use Gastra over say, r15 Anni? Any specific endgame battles?

gastra is your slap the ***up fast with magic damage.

anni is for when you want physical dmg that will NOT GET YOU GANKED.

Forma is for the ammo, then should be lockered once u put a stone in it and get the ammo bag.

arma is *** blap blap blap when u want high dps and dont really care about wsing. or when its faster to just shred the mob with RA.

Each weapon may or may not have a situation or niche use.
For example centurio-XI or wtf its called... (assuming trust pt) arma will get you killed ASAP. gasta will get you killed asap but you might live due to how fast it kills / luck.
anni is always the safest option for this mob,

So in the end you may need to have sort of a memory of which weapon fits which situation. we kinda need most of them. dont need the bow, dont need the r1 2021 gun.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2021-02-09 06:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks great for someone new/mule, or new to those jobs, but if you're fancy already then there isn't much going on.
First Page 2 3 ... 49 50 51 ... 97 98 99