Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » How to work elemental spirit
How to work elemental spirit
 Seraph.Luuujeje
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: luuujeje
By Seraph.Luuujeje 2009-10-05 21:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I am new to SMN even thou I lvl it to 50 now. I still don't understand the mechanic of how elemental spirits work. I checked on wiki it says, for example, Ice spirit can cast freeze at lvl 50, but how I make it cast freeze I have no clue. Can some expert SMN here give me advise please? ^.^
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-05 22:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Elemental spirits have a certain wait time until they can cast spells. The higher your Summoning Magic skill is, the shorter you have to wait until they cast something.

Once the wait period is over, they could cast ANY black or White magic spell pertaining to their element. You'll likely have to wait for a few casts until they cast AM.

Just as a general rule, they cost too much MP and don't do enough damage or have enough HP to make them worthwhile. Even with capped merits.
 Alexander.Tonythetaru
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tonythetaru 2009-10-05 22:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What Enternius said. Spirits are only good for Elemental Siphon, and for an 'oh ***' macro.
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-05 23:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Elemental Spirits are only used for Elemental Siphon.

Except Light Spirits, they make good solo buffers if you want to wait forever for that Protect IV (most of the time, they will give you haste or regen -.-)
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-05 23:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't Light Spirit cast cross-ally Curagas? I've heard that it can, but never seen it happen before (since people rarely use them).
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-10-06 02:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with the "oh ***" macro, great for running dangerous places, aggroing that wrong mob, real quick drop an ele, run for your life as the ele takes one shot and pulls hate, then dropping it when you're decent enough distance. Repeat for faster mobs like tigers, or mobs that one shot your poor ele.
 Seraph.Luuujeje
user: luuujeje
By Seraph.Luuujeje 2009-10-06 23:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for advise (^.^)/ They are all useful to me, thanks a bunch again. :D
 Fairy.Aiburn
Server: Fairy
user: Aiburn
By Fairy.Aiburn 2009-10-06 23:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyaaadaa said:
I agree with the "oh ***" macro, great for running dangerous places, aggroing that wrong mob, real quick drop an ele, run for your life as the ele takes one shot and pulls hate, then dropping it when you're decent enough distance. Repeat for faster mobs like tigers, or mobs that one shot your poor ele.

This is the only time I use Ele's. Oh ***and elemental siphon. Good call.