Forum » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 150 151 152 ... 409 410 411
By SimonSes 2020-07-30 11:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
SimonSes said: »
edit: @SimonSes to not double post I'll respond.

I dont. I started typing way before they posted.

lol I just meant so I don't double post, but oh well!

Im sorry 9hours in work and few more looking at pokemon go pvp rankings. I cant read I guess. Going to eat something and rest a little lol
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-30 11:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we're arguing the semantics of this from two different points. Many seem to not have a problem with it and fall back on the "logic of the storyline" to justify its use. And many who seem to have issues with it- the storyline doesn't matter a damn, its just the use of the term that's bothersome. As such, we're always gonna butt heads and get nowhere.
I've never seen anyone have a problem with the term as it was used in FFXI other than like two people here. No offense intended, but I think it's more of a them problem, akin to someone complaining about the use of the number 69 in math problems because it makes them think of sex every time.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-30 11:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
I think we're arguing the semantics of this from two different points. Many seem to not have a problem with it and fall back on the "logic of the storyline" to justify its use. And many who seem to have issues with it- the storyline doesn't matter a damn, its just the use of the term that's bothersome. As such, we're always gonna butt heads and get nowhere.
I've never seen anyone have a problem with the term as it was used in FFXI other than like two people here. No offense intended, but I think it's more of a them problem, akin to someone complaining about the use of the number 69 in math problems because it makes them think of sex every time.

I really would have never felt weird seeing her use Sensei- I truly feel like the word is acceptable in most English language speaking countries, connotates only respect not a mixed-meaning, and hell, she's a Samurai in a Japanese game....really think the playerbase would have been bothered or confused?

And, I'll say for a 3rd time- I will certainly understand that the original word used by the story writers is perfectly acceptable even in the current social environment, and of course they are Japanese writers writing for a Japanese audience. If the fault is mine for culture clash, I'll roll with it. But I will stick to this- since they're translating the original concept text, maybe they could take a moment and really think about THAT audience too- even if its just the translators thinking about them.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-30 11:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the English-speaking audience that would be confused by sensei is much larger than the English-speaking audience that would potentially have a personal problem with the master title in its correctly executed context.

Unless it's a name, leaving a word untranslated is also considered unprofessional in localization unless there is a very good reason for leaving it as is (such as the blatant thematic naming they were going for with ninja JAs and ninjutsu).
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2020-07-30 12:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be like "Please don't call me Sensei. I'm not John Kreese"
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-07-30 12:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand better than most that Master is a term of respect given to someone who has spent a lifetime perfecting their talents in a specific discipline. But if we are to truly look at SE's use of it with Iroha objectively- what justification does she have to call US "Master"? I mean, she literally does it from moment one with no reason to. To me, that implied from the beginning a sense of subservience, not respect.

The story indicates that we, the player, helped raise Iroha from a small child and taught her the arts of combat/magic along with Tenzen. So we can see it as akin to those old Artifact-armor giving NPCs for our jobs. I think of Zeid and how many Drk's back in the day respected him. It's kinda the same relationship.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-07-30 12:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

What a derail, Iroha wasn't even mentioned in the patch notes, but I digress. I feel that if they don't at least add a new zone, were all going to be done with the story in 4 hours and its back to doing nothing, I can only gear up so many jobs, and clear Dynamis wave 3 until I'm bored.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-30 13:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gotenn said: »
What a derail, Iroha wasn't even mentioned in the patch notes, but I digress. I feel that if they don't at least add a new zone, were all going to be done with the story in 4 hours and its back to doing nothing, I can only gear up so many jobs, and clear Dynamis wave 3 until I'm bored.

The reason Iroha came up is because RoV completion appears to be necessary. Since she was the central figure there, a lot of us see more Iroha about to forced down our digital throats.

--------------------------

And call me crazy, but if they wanted to make her from the future, where's the kiddy version of Iroha in the game for the current timeline?
By waffle 2020-07-30 13:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, Iroha uses shishou, not sensei. So it's more specific, and is very much half of a master and disciple relationship.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-07-30 13:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I really hope its for Phoenix, that would be awesome to get Phoenix as an avatar and its story fleshed out. Then we must have Bahamut, we don't even have a battle for him these days aside from the random one they added for the anniversary.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-30 13:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I really hope its for Phoenix, that would be awesome to get Phoenix as an avatar and its story fleshed out. Then we must have Bahamut, we don't even have a battle for him these days aside from the random one they added for the anniversary.

you know, 2 years ago I would have completely been against this, but now, I can agree that a non-OP Phoenix is totally possible. Nothing wrong with a 2nd source of Arise in the game- hell make its 1hr Arisega for all I care. And Bahamut does need a return in a Master Trial- I'd hope for a lightsaber scythe since the original Bahamut did drop a scythe, and that would be very fun :)
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-07-30 13:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, we already have Arise+Reraise III from Altana's Favor anyway.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-07-30 13:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Iroha was mentioned in the preview to the next update,

Its not like she came out of nowhere

Quote:
so I hope that those of you who haven’t set experienced Iroha’s tale in full will take this opportunity to do so.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2020-07-30 14:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah Cait Sith kinda stole the AF idea for Phoenix lol. Could still do it as Fire damage + AOE Raise III instead of Arise? Or ditch Cait Siths since nobody even uses that, change it to something like a buff.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-07-30 14:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Yeah Cait Sith kinda stole the AF idea for Phoenix lol. Could still do it as Fire damage + AOE Raise III instead of Arise? Or ditch Cait Siths since nobody even uses that, change it to something like a buff.

hell make Phoenix's AF Arise with zero weakness timers for all I care. As a non-SMN but long-time FF player, if they are ever gonna add Phoenix it better be the KING of reviving people.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-07-30 14:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Reviviscence as Phoenix's 1 hr would be pretty sick... and totally not going to happen.

A man can dream though. A man can dream...
[+]
By Draylo 2020-07-30 14:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

They should do that too lol. Fix Alex/Odin and maybe Atomos, and then add Bahamut and Phoenix! Then as a bonus they could add Phoenix Down into the game as a usable item and add it to the BCNM or something. No more event equipment posing as phoenix downs.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-07-30 14:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
And call me crazy, but if they wanted to make her from the future, where's the kiddy version of Iroha in the game for the current timeline?

she hasn't been born yet, lol
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-07-30 17:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I kind of had low expectations for a new storyline, however the Siren quest was pretty good (if short) and was made by them.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2020-07-31 18:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Wheres me fn emp+2/3
By Taint 2020-07-31 18:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Wheres me fn emp+2/3

End of the story line I bet.
By Pantafernando 2020-07-31 18:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

In the end of FFXI actually
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-31 19:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

that would be tremendous if we got any new areas out of the story, for possible empy upgrading down the road or just for the sake of new places to explore.
By Draylo 2020-07-31 19:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

New Abyssea zone
By RadialArcana 2020-08-19 04:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I read something really stupid yesterday, so stupid that it's probably true.

Could it really be the case that they would not assign the player an invisible KI or flag on their character for beating content and instead just make the "you won" goalpoint invisible until you do? Would they really be that silly when stuff like ASE exists?

Since someone posted it openly yesterday it will most likely be reported and fixed if it's true, maybe.
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-08-19 08:15:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure what your trying to get at? Key items and mission logs do exist on a character by character basis? what other flag for beating content are you referring to?
 Asura.Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-08-19 08:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If your referring specifically to Assualts, then the first 50 to rank up still require you to complete the objective weather or not the exit is visible through a addon to force spawn it. The instance wont let you leave and get positive credit for the run until you complete the objective (which spawns the exit anyways). In terms of the book trading, thats a different story.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-03 04:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So appearently Sheol C won't be the end of Odyssey.
Wonder what they have in store for us after that? I have no clue.
Any ideas?
Giving us separate KIs, each with their own separate recharge time, to enter Sheol A, B and C would be a positive change in my opionin but I wonder if it's ever gonna happen.
Sadly enough I don't have a group of friends interested in doing Odyssey regularly (is it even worth it to go with a group? Don't think it is) and I find soloing with THF way too boring, I stopped bothering after a few Sheol A runs.

New stuff for Voracious Resurgence it seems to me we're still gonna be left in the introductory stage of this new thing.
Really wonder where it's gonna bring us in the end.
I still haven't bothered with the part they added in the august patch, wanted to wait for more stuff to be available before I start delving in it.
First Page 2 3 ... 150 151 152 ... 409 410 411