Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Solo Progression w/ Mana Wall
Solo Progression w/ Mana Wall
By abknight 2017-08-31 21:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How successful could a BLM be at soloing modern content with a mana wall build? I watched Mischief's Schah video and it seems feasible for a BLM to solo anything that can be nuked down in under 5 minutes. AF body should keep your mana full, and mana wall + DT gear should give you 97.5% dmg taken reduction, right?

The biggest roadblock that I can think of is bosses that take reduced magic damage. Not sure how to approach that as BLM.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-08-31 22:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

abknight said: »
How successful could a BLM be at soloing modern content with a mana wall build? I watched Mischief's Schah video and it seems feasible for a BLM to solo anything that can be nuked down in under 5 minutes. AF body should keep your mana full, and mana wall + DT gear should give you 97.5% dmg taken reduction, right?

The biggest roadblock that I can think of is bosses that take reduced magic damage. Not sure how to approach that as BLM.
Dispel as well as doom/bio HP/MP down and aspir issues on you.

What do you mean by modern content?
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-08-31 22:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
bio

doesnt hurt you fam - total bypass - same with poison and Dia IE Golden Kist poison
By Chimerawizard 2017-08-31 22:46:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So, you + DD trusts to make skillchains while you MB it to death and you try to tank?
vs
you + tank, DD, & whm trusts while you MB it to death from range.

I'll go with option 2.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-08-31 23:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
So, you + DD trusts to make skillchains while you MB it to death and you try to tank?
vs
you + tank, DD, & whm trusts while you MB it to death from range.

I'll go with option 2.

Depends on what you are fighting really. some tanks die instantly

Doing things like t3 sky t2 resji ive noticed you need heavy Macc sets unless you have a pocket geo
By clearlyamule 2017-08-31 23:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Status effects still are pretty not fun. And While af body might make it so your nukes aren't lowering your mp dmg as long as you aren't still is even if it's decently reduced.

Dots will only get the manawall reduction not the dt so it can add up. Debuffs can still hurt and dispel will wreck you

Most the blm tanking involves a fair amount of refresh and/or mp refilling temps.

Notice in the video you mention Mischief has indi-defense, precharged sublimation, 2 rolls can only assume 1 is refresh, embrava, various other mildy useful buffs most likely full vorseals with blessings. And still had a whm it looks like just for them for quick erases/nas and yes some cures
[+]
By abknight 2017-09-01 00:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

By modern content I mean bosses and events that can be solod by other jobs with some degree of difficulty, so not mobs that require a group due to mechanics or some kind of cheese.

I'm looking for a fun playstyle that's outside the meta and self-sufficient. I know I could gear up a BLU, NIN, DNC, or pet job and get a lot done, but pure caster is the only role that I've never mained in XI so I'm trying to figure out a way to enjoy it with my current work schedule. I also don't think I have the patience to master and utilize a kiting playstyle anymore, so I was hoping that I could just mash buttons while invincible for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the responses, though. I've been so busy with work that I spend more time browsing FFXIAH and BGWiki and theorycrafting on paper than actually playing.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-09-03 09:24:49
Link | Quote | Reply

You realize dot dmg isnt calculated at all and doesnt lower your mp right? Ie golden kist poison doesnt do nothing... curse does hurt but you can mykre to get mp back till you get it off...

Blm and dnc pretty much help everyone get herc val and merlinic stuff for returning friend's minus t3 resji... its all I need to breeze thru the nms... 14min manawall is broken