Jack Of All Trades: A Guide To Red Mage

Eorzea Time
 
 
 
Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129
 Asura.Bippin
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gunit
Posts: 493
By Asura.Bippin 2021-05-05 15:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Can also use that Phalanx+ gear on all jobs that wear that set.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rorrick
Posts: 241
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-05-05 16:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
And you get an extra 15-25 flat HP reduced from armor. That means phalanx would reduce damage taken by 50-60 damage per hit. instead of 35.

More like 40 in full potency versus 56ish if you have a full set of +5 because you're dumping over 100 enhancing skill to use +phalanx in every slot.

Like I said, I don't personally see the use. If for some reason I'm solo cleaving in Reisenjima or something I'll just use the Taeon gear I already have for BLU. I'd rather use that inventory space for more useful things.

Edit: You're also better served in general by getting augmented Taeon if that's really important to you. Unless you have five or six DM mules to pass gear through during DM campaigns, you're never going to get a full +5 set. I've gone through 10 or so DM campaigns since I came back and only have one +4 piece for PLD.
 Asura.Bippin
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gunit
Posts: 493
By Asura.Bippin 2021-05-05 16:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply
 
As far as DM goes, I guess I don't really know what others do but I assume everyone would just keep Phalanx+ 4/5 on something if they happen to get it. I don't think anyone is saying you should have 5/5 +5 phalanx, but very much something you should keep if you get lucky. RDM is nice and can get Taeon with +3. Sadly not all jobs get that.

Edit: Also sounds like you have Taeon set already so why would you not use it?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 2647
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2021-05-05 17:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Yeah for the longest time I've mostly chased after WSD from DM campaigns, but if I get Phalanx 4/5 I keep it and either get another piece, or try another slot. Phalanx+5 is going to last much longer for most jobs because it's a pretty rare stat, and mostly on...Paladin pieces...
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Offline
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
Posts: 2919
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-05 18:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Nyame pretty much just ended the search for high +WSD augments via Dark Matter for the vast majority of players who plan on augmenting it.

With the addition of so much +TH gear that is all jobs, the need for set-specific +TH gear augmented via DM has also shrunk.

In my mind, the two best things (for my situation and job spread) to hope for in those campaigns is now Refresh+2 (+1 also easy to get through normal means) or Phalanx+4/5. So why not?

Taeon is great if you also have a RUN or BLU, due to the inventory constraints. But Odyssey in general has already resulted in me gaining 8-10 slots from my wardrobe due to situations where 1 piece makes 3 or more even obsolete. So now I'd imagine many are like me and have room we didn't 3 months ago.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
Posts: 4880
By Cerberus.Tikal 2021-05-18 21:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Is the Enfeebling Skill earring from Domain Invasion worth getting or a waste of inventory?
 Asura.Cicion
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: cicion
Posts: 210
By Asura.Cicion 2021-05-18 21:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Worth getting for helping to achieve max distract/frazzle pot at 600 and 610 enfeeb skill respectively.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 7842
By Asura.Sechs 2021-05-19 17:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Anybody tested Nyame B vs Vitiation+3 on the head slot for Savage Blade?
They look pretty close to me.

Vitiation has ~5 more attack and 16 more MND
Nyame has 2% more WSD and 2% DA.
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Offline
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2021-05-24 01:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Is there a way to determine what the -Element resistance amount from Enspell 2 is outside of Ballista (10)? Wondering if it may be greater outside of that environment.
Offline
Posts: 1
By steffon 2021-05-24 02:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Might be able to get it transferred with a limule molting burst?
Offline
Posts: 983
By Felgarr 2021-06-06 20:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Sharing for folks who may not have noticed. It's mentioned in the description of Composure in OP but not on the "Mandatory/Nice-to-have" section for Empyrean Armor when discussing Composure. So:

4/5 AF3+1 pieces + Atrophy Gloves+3 = 55% Enhancing Duration
5/5 AF3+1 pieces = Only 50% Enhancing Duration

For enfeebles (under Stymie, where M.Acc is 100%):

4/5 AF3+1 pieces + Regal cuffs = 55% Enfeeb Duration
5/5 AF3+1 pieces = Only 50% Enfeeb Duration

For enfeebles (under Saboteur, where M.Acc is 100%):

5/5 AF3+1 pieces = Only 50% Enfeeb Duration (but you get the Saboteur bonus+12% from Empy hands +1)
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Offline
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rorrick
Posts: 241
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-06-06 21:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply
 
The set bonus is nice for enfeebles in theory, but in practice it's pretty impractical to try to debuff things in like, Dynamis Divergence with 4/5 Lethargy pieces. You're going to get a ton of resists.

Edit: Also, I don't know what "Under Saboteur (where MACC is 100%)" is supposed to mean.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 981
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-06-06 22:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Felgarr said: »
Sharing for folks who may not have noticed. It's mentioned in the description of Composure in OP but not on the "Mandatory/Nice-to-have" section for Empyrean Armor when discussing Composure. So:

4/5 AF3+1 pieces + Atrophy Gloves+3 = 55% Enhancing Duration
5/5 AF3+1 pieces = Only 50% Enhancing Duration

For enfeebles (under Stymie, where M.Acc is 100%):

4/5 AF3+1 pieces + Regal cuffs = 55% Enfeeb Duration
5/5 AF3+1 pieces = Only 50% Enfeeb Duration

For enfeebles (under Saboteur, where M.Acc is 100%):

5/5 AF3+1 pieces = Only 50% Enfeeb Duration (but you get the Saboteur bonus+12% from Empy hands +1)

This is not quite right. You should use Atrophy Gloves +3 for enhancing duration, but the it's because the calculation has 3 terms that are all separate modifiers.

  1. Gear that specifically lists enhancing magic duration (Empy feet, AF +3 hands, etc.)

  2. Gear that has an augment of enhancing magic duration (JSE neck, JSE cape from Adoulin, Telchine)

  3. Composure gear



There are generally a few considerations. JSE cape from adoulin is better than JSE cape from ambuscade starting at about 17% given all other gear for duration is used. That's because the augment duration enhancement is much lower than category 1. Relic +3 body and Empy body are very very close to each other but Empy wins for the same reason as the adoulin cape, the composure term generally has a smaller base. (going from 20% - 35% with the 4th piece of Empy, as opposed to going from 65% - 80% with relic body)

generally bis for self buffs is going to be colada, ammurapi, JSE neck, embla sash, Ghostfyre Cape (JSE adoulin), telchine head/legs, relic body +3, af +3 hands, empy feet.

BIS Self Enhancing BIS Composure Enhancing
ItemSet 380127 ItemSet 380128



bis for composure will swap head/body/legs for empy. Everything else will stay the same.

Your comments on enfeebling are generally correct. except I would not sacrifice potency on spells like slow II, paralyze II for duration honestly. With the best gear, they should last long enough that saboteur is up again by the time they wear off.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
Posts: 1406
By Asura.Chiaia 2021-06-07 00:32:56
Link | Quote | Reply
 
This might be of some use to you guys. Not sure if it got buried over the years
http://chiaia.optic-ice.com/Enhancing%20Duration.html
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 7842
By Asura.Sechs 2021-06-07 01:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sechs said: »
Anybody tested Nyame B vs Vitiation+3 on the head slot for Savage Blade?
They look pretty close to me.

Vitiation has ~5 more attack and 16 more MND
Nyame has 2% more WSD and 2% DA.
Anybody tested this?

I think for the head I finally settled to keep using Vitiation+3 over Nyame.
2% Less WSD but more STR/VIT and more attack.
I'm still not sure but I think Vitiation+3 should be slightly better, on a hunch.

Using Nyame in the Legs, Body and Feet slot.
Not sure what to do in the hands one.
It's Jhakri+2 vs AF+3 vs Nyame. They're all pretty close. Before Nyame I had AF+3 there.
Offline
Posts: 983
By Felgarr 2021-06-07 09:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
The set bonus is nice for enfeebles in theory, but in practice it's pretty impractical to try to debuff things in like, Dynamis Divergence with 4/5 Lethargy pieces. You're going to get a ton of resists.

Edit: Also, I don't know what "Under Saboteur (where MACC is 100%)" is supposed to mean.

Copy/Paste error on my part. Should be "if you want the effects of Saboteur", but I'm not near my PC to correct my post. I will correct it when I get home, additionally to say when you'd want to use Empy armor's enfeebling and Saboteur bonus, including the reasons you describe.
 Asura.Nuance
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
Posts: 357
By Asura.Nuance 2021-06-07 09:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Anybody tested Nyame B vs Vitiation+3 on the head slot for Savage Blade?
They look pretty close to me.

Vitiation has ~5 more attack and 16 more MND
Nyame has 2% more WSD and 2% DA.
Anybody tested this?

I think for the head I finally settled to keep using Vitiation+3 over Nyame.
2% Less WSD but more STR/VIT and more attack.
I'm still not sure but I think Vitiation+3 should be slightly better, on a hunch.

Using Nyame in the Legs, Body and Feet slot.
Not sure what to do in the hands one.
It's Jhakri+2 vs AF+3 vs Nyame. They're all pretty close. Before Nyame I had AF+3 there.

I’d say the head and hands largely depends upon if you are skillchaining or not. Additional 5% sc dmg on nyame can be a big deal.
 Cerberus.Nolatari
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 18
By Cerberus.Nolatari 2021-06-07 10:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply
 
So question would nyame path B have enough ranged accuracy to use for empyreal arrow in higher end content? Or would the extra 50 ranged accuracy and AGI still be needed
 Asura.Sechs
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
Posts: 7842
By Asura.Sechs 2021-06-09 08:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Nuance said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Anybody tested Nyame B vs Vitiation+3 on the head slot for Savage Blade?
They look pretty close to me.

Vitiation has ~5 more attack and 16 more MND
Nyame has 2% more WSD and 2% DA.
Anybody tested this?

I think for the head I finally settled to keep using Vitiation+3 over Nyame.
2% Less WSD but more STR/VIT and more attack.
I'm still not sure but I think Vitiation+3 should be slightly better, on a hunch.

Using Nyame in the Legs, Body and Feet slot.
Not sure what to do in the hands one.
It's Jhakri+2 vs AF+3 vs Nyame. They're all pretty close. Before Nyame I had AF+3 there.

I’d say the head and hands largely depends upon if you are skillchaining or not. Additional 5% sc dmg on nyame can be a big deal.
Well we're talking about savage blade so chances are you're not gonna scing.

If you're solo and care for sc you would probably either multistep or spamming cdc, no?

But if sc damage matters it means magic damage is good, at which point you would probably be using crocea mors, I guess...
Offline
Posts: 459
By Crossbones 2021-06-09 11:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Unless you wanna solo and do empyrean arrow to savage. Or if you have a war using GA or axe in pt, etc. I know savage isn't a ws you typically think of for SC but it can happen.
 Asura.Nuance
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
Posts: 357
By Asura.Nuance 2021-06-09 14:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Nuance said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
Anybody tested Nyame B vs Vitiation+3 on the head slot for Savage Blade?
They look pretty close to me.

Vitiation has ~5 more attack and 16 more MND
Nyame has 2% more WSD and 2% DA.
Anybody tested this?

I think for the head I finally settled to keep using Vitiation+3 over Nyame.
2% Less WSD but more STR/VIT and more attack.
I'm still not sure but I think Vitiation+3 should be slightly better, on a hunch.

Using Nyame in the Legs, Body and Feet slot.
Not sure what to do in the hands one.
It's Jhakri+2 vs AF+3 vs Nyame. They're all pretty close. Before Nyame I had AF+3 there.

I’d say the head and hands largely depends upon if you are skillchaining or not. Additional 5% sc dmg on nyame can be a big deal.
Well we're talking about savage blade so chances are you're not gonna scing.

If you're solo and care for sc you would probably either multistep or spamming cdc, no?

But if sc damage matters it means magic damage is good, at which point you would probably be using crocea mors, I guess...


I mean ive done multi step Kei on RDM before so the extra 25% SC dmg woulda helped a lot there :/
 Asura.Gotenn
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gotenn
Posts: 225
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-06-09 17:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Multistepping on Kei I used Excalibur so I didnt have to use Ullr
 Asura.Nuance
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
Posts: 357
By Asura.Nuance 2021-06-09 23:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Gotenn said: »
Multistepping on Kei I used Excalibur so I didnt have to use Ullr

Done it both ways Excalibur is faster but not as cool. And at this point in the game it’s all about cool. :D
 Asura.Diluted
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crumpet
Posts: 39
By Asura.Diluted 2021-06-21 06:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Is it still worth investing in Amalric +1 for Seraph/Sanguine blade? Or has Odyssey gear taken over from it now?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 981
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-06-21 09:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply
 
If you don't plan on path B nyame, amalric is still going to be BIS for seraph/sanguine for legs, feet.

body is BIS if you have either a really good merlinic hood, or cath palug crown. Otherwise Cohort Cloak +1.

If you have nyame path B, it's bis for all those slots.

Edit: let me amend that amalric body + pixie hairpin should win for sanguine outside of Nyame body. I'm thinking nyame should be pretty close to (if it doesn't win) pixied hairpin with the mab and the WSD, but I'll let people that want to do that math actually answer difinitively.
 Asura.Cicion
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: cicion
Posts: 210
By Asura.Cicion 2021-06-21 09:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Ya i'v been multi stepping with Ullr. The shot doesn't really miss in full nayame B and grape daifuku with using cheap chapuli arrows. Dunno if apex mobs cut it for higher content but might need to bite the bullet and use Raetic Arrows on the higher stuff.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Offline
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
Posts: 981
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-06-21 10:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Depending on availability, Beryllium Arrows are only 3 damage less than Raetic and have +7 acc over chapuli I guess. Probably much cheaper than raetic
 Asura.Diluted
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crumpet
Posts: 39
By Asura.Diluted 2021-06-21 13:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
If you don't plan on path B nyame, amalric is still going to be BIS for seraph/sanguine for legs, feet.

body is BIS if you have either a really good merlinic hood, or cath palug crown. Otherwise Cohort Cloak +1.

If you have nyame path B, it's bis for all those slots.

Edit: let me amend that amalric body + pixie hairpin should win for sanguine outside of Nyame body. I'm thinking nyame should be pretty close to (if it doesn't win) pixied hairpin with the mab and the WSD, but I'll let people that want to do that math actually answer difinitively.

Very helpful. Thank you.
[+]
 Asura.Hitome
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 59
By Asura.Hitome 2021-07-02 12:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Wanted to confirm something on Kei in Omen. Enwater and enblizzard can be used to handle his regen aura correct?
 Asura.Nuance
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Crion
Posts: 357
By Asura.Nuance 2021-07-02 17:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Cicion said: »
Ya i'v been multi stepping with Ullr. The shot doesn't really miss in full nayame B and grape daifuku with using cheap chapuli arrows. Dunno if apex mobs cut it for higher content but might need to bite the bullet and use Raetic Arrows on the higher stuff.


I used demon arrows on my first kei multi step on rdm with no ranged oriented buffs. Back then was just using full malignance and don’t recall missing once. I’m sure it’s likely the same with nyame path b but with better dmg.
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129