Forum » FFXI » General » August 2016 Version Update
August 2016 Version Update
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12
 Asura.Avallon
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Avallon 2016-08-03 15:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm from Cerberus originally (13+ years) so I can agree with how desolate and dry the server really is. Barely does the population exceed 300 players at any given time, and the number of communities actively engaged in end-game activities is few and far between.

In fact, only the JP's are making Aeonics on Cerberus right now so that should give some measure of indication on the difficulty in getting things done. I actually was shocked to read that Kylos still needs Golden Kist clear (or drops), but then I remembered how hard it was to try and get anything done there the last 6 months to a year I was there. When you have so little population to work with, unless you're in a well-established community, the odds are against you in getting things YOU need done. In fact, even being in a large social LS doesn't mean people are interested in helping, or capable of helping defeat certain NM's.

But then again, there's the other side of the coin.

Today on Asura there is often times 1150+ players on at any given time. That's a lot of people right? Certainly more than 300. But yet every day I still see people shouting to pay for items like Merlinic Jubbah, or for Vagary clears, or for Herculean items.

You'd think on a well-populated server it would be easier to find people to help you with what you need, right? But that's clearly not the case. The people shouting daily for the above items aren't necessarily alone. They could be in LS's incapable of defeating the NM's that drop those items/clears. And that's no fault of their own. Mercing then becomes a viable option for people and they honestly shouldn't be given grief over it.

Quite frankly, I agree with both sides of the fence on this: I agree that many NM's can be defeated solo or with a small group of people (or trusts even). And on the other side of the coin, I think there comes a time when people pay for mercs for a variety of reasons. Some people might merc items due to only having a short time to play the game. They want to try and stay relevant and participate in end-game as much as they can. Some people are just rich and don't want to farm the items they want. That too is okay in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly with helping friend, mates and new people, I really do, but I also think there's nothing wrong with charging for your time in farming items for people at designated prices. You could spend an entire year helping your friends and LS gear up and become knowledgeable with end-game only to see 75% of them quit the game and/or stop logging on for various reasons. I've seen this happen over and over again.

If you want to farm your own gear, I respect that. I'm in the process of soloing Reisenjima gear for my pocket GEO, so I can relate to that. Items I can't solo/low-man I'll ask my LS or friends for help. If that were to somehow fail then I'd PUG it. If that fails then I too have to face the reality of paying for the item in a merc or just not getting it at all.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-03 15:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
If I farmed up enough gil to get 5/5 amalric +1 AND I managed to actually find it for sale, I'd be pretty proud.

Finding them would be an achievement for sure. Buying them isn't though. Anyone can make gil and all that's needed is time. It doesn't require any help or thought. A leaving player could hand all their gil over to a friend who then buys HQ abjurations.
Who cares if some people think it's not an achievement. I'd still be proud having it.
2 people can get their alchemy to 122. 1 person might manage to hq all 5 pieces and someone else might not be so lucky. Who has the right to decide that 1 "achieved" more than the other? This game is so luck based, why fault anyone for farming gil and trying to remove the luck component from the situation?

Ahh the luck thing. Ok, so it's like saying whoever got the best possible augment on a Dark Matter Reisenjima augment achieved more than someone who didn't. That's not the case, it's luck based. Those things that are stupidly luck based .. like Tartarus Platemail or HQing during synth, that's something else entirely. It sure feels like you achieved when the random number generator works in your favour. It feels like you forced the game to hand out to you.

I've been after T. Platemail for over a year, and I was first in line. Yesterday I decided Tidis (our PLD) would lot as well going forward. It's my linkshell, I didn't need to do that, but the luck is so bad .. just so bad, I feel sorry for him and myself. It's not like you can achieve that, it's like winning the lottery. No one achieves when they win the lottery, they just got lucky while others didn't.
So buying hq amalric is not an achievement, and making it isn't either since there's some luck involved. You lost me.
I get that you don't like abusive mercs, but the HMN's are over. There's no botting claims and crap. It's just pop and kill. Therefore, mercs are nothing more than a service, like tele-taxi was back in the day. Just let people play how they like.
Oraen is right, this has gone on long enough. Let's get back to topic.
Anyone notice how much damage was reduced by on AoE's? From the notes, it's still full damage to the person the attack was directed at, but less for the others. I'd like to know by how much it's reduced for the others. Thanks
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-08-03 15:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If I farmed up enough gil to get 5/5 amalric +1 AND I managed to actually find it for sale, I'd be pretty proud.

Finding them would be an achievement for sure. Buying them isn't though. Anyone can make gil and all that's needed is time. It doesn't require any help or thought. A leaving player could hand all their gil over to a friend who then buys HQ abjurations.
Who cares if some people think it's not an achievement. I'd still be proud having it.
2 people can get their alchemy to 122. 1 person might manage to hq all 5 pieces and someone else might not be so lucky. Who has the right to decide that 1 "achieved" more than the other? This game is so luck based, why fault anyone for farming gil and trying to remove the luck component from the situation?

Ahh the luck thing. Ok, so it's like saying whoever got the best possible augment on a Dark Matter Reisenjima augment achieved more than someone who didn't. That's not the case, it's luck based. Those things that are stupidly luck based .. like Tartarus Platemail or HQing during synth, that's something else entirely. It sure feels like you achieved when the random number generator works in your favour. It feels like you forced the game to hand out to you.

I've been after T. Platemail for over a year, and I was first in line. Yesterday I decided Tidis (our PLD) would lot as well going forward. It's my linkshell, I didn't need to do that, but the luck is so bad .. just so bad, I feel sorry for him and myself. It's not like you can achieve that, it's like winning the lottery. No one achieves when they win the lottery, they just got lucky while others didn't.
So buying hq amalric is not an achievement, and making it isn't either since there's some luck involved. You lost me.
I get that you don't like abusive mercs, but the HMN's are over. There's no botting claims and crap. It's just pop and kill. Therefore, mercs are nothing more than a service, like tele-taxi was back in the day. Just let people play how they like.
Oraen is right, this has gone on long enough. Let's get back to topic.
Anyone notice how much damage was reduced by on AoE's? From the notes, it's still full damage to the person the attack was directed at, but less for the others. I'd like to know by how much it's reduced for the others. Thanks

I would argue this point for many pages, but no one wants to see it so I'm ending it. PM me if you like. See Avallon's post to get a better idea of what I was talking about.
By eliroo 2016-08-03 15:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I've said my piece. Apologies if this went on too long, but Afania had to keep replying so they would get the last word. It always seems to be the case any time Afania does not agree with someone elses opinions. Appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread with strategies for Ambuscade, and those who mathed out the changes to VIT. The derailing was my fault after I saw Seekerstar's amazingly upvoted post on page 3. I was too late to reply to that so I accept responsibility.

Why does every debate have to end with some insult towards the other person.

Also why is it so bad to have a discussion about something. If it was so unrelated to the topic of the post it probably wouldn't have shown up. The fact is it did and it was actually related to the actual topic.

Almost all of the new update features have already been discussed.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-08-03 15:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
I'm from Cerberus originally (13+ years) so I can agree with how desolate and dry the server really is. Barely does the population exceed 300 players at any given time, and the number of communities actively engaged in end-game activities is few and far between.

In fact, only the JP's are making Aeonics on Cerberus right now so that should give some measure of indication on the difficulty in getting things done. I actually was shocked to read that Kylos still needs Golden Kist clear (or drops), but then I remembered how hard it was to try and get anything done there the last 6 months to a year I was there. When you have so little population to work with, unless you're in a well-established community, the odds are against you in getting things YOU need done. In fact, even being in a large social LS doesn't mean people are interested in helping, or capable of helping defeat certain NM's.

But then again, there's the other side of the coin.

Today on Asura there is often times 1150+ players on at any given time. That's a lot of people right? Certainly more than 300. But yet every day I still see people shouting to pay for items like Merlinic Jubbah, or for Vagary clears, or for Herculean items.

You'd think on a well-populated server it would be easier to find people to help you with what you need, right? But that's clearly not the case. The people shouting daily for the above items aren't necessarily alone. They could be in LS's incapable of defeating the NM's that drop those items/clears. And that's no fault of their own. Mercing then becomes a viable option for people and they honestly shouldn't be given grief over it.

Quite frankly, I agree with both sides of the fence on this: I agree that many NM's can be defeated solo or with a small group of people (or trusts even). And on the other side of the coin, I think there comes a time when people pay for mercs for a variety of reasons. Some people might merc items due to only having a short time to play the game. They want to try and stay relevant and participate in end-game as much as they can. Some people are just rich and don't want to farm the items they want. That too is okay in my opinion.

I agree wholeheartedly with helping friend, mates and new people, I really do, but I also think there's nothing wrong with charging for your time in farming items for people at designated prices. You could spend an entire year helping your friends and LS gear up and become knowledgeable with end-game only to see 75% of them quit the game and/or stop logging on for various reasons. I've seen this happen over and over again.

If you want to farm your own gear, I respect that. I'm in the process of soloing Reisenjima gear for my pocket GEO, so I can relate to that. Items I can't solo/low-man I'll ask my LS or friends for help. If that were to somehow fail then I'd PUG it. If that fails then I too have to face the reality of paying for the item in a merc or just not getting it at all.

Whoa how many players on Asura? Jesus f'n Christ. We have 200 players when I do Vagary on a Tuesday night. TWO HUNDRED! Other servers please try to understand how hard it is to get anything done with 200 players online most of the time.
By Nocki 2016-08-03 15:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Are people just salty that they can't afford merc services? Or that smaller servers don't have them? I genuinely don't understand what's being argued here... The same way that you can purchase a piece of gear off of the AH after someone has gone and crafted it, or killed that NM over and over; mercs allow you to buy a piece of gear that isn't tradeable. Literally, what's the problem?
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-03 15:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, but seriously, did anyone check how much AoE damage was reduced by on AoE's? I think the system is only in Ambuscade at the moment.
also, pretty cool to see Mhaura shouts in Whitegate.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2016-08-03 15:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Nocki said: »
Are people just salty that they can't afford merc services? Or that smaller servers don't have them? I genuinely don't understand what's being argued here... The same way that you can purchase a piece of gear off of the AH after someone has gone and crafted it, or killed that NM over and over; mercs allow you to buy a piece of gear that isn't tradeable. Literally, what's the problem?

I think Kylos is frustrated that, by his own information, there are 200 people online sometimes with a certain % of that number being afk players, mules and the like. So when it's all said and done he is having a very difficult time getting help for the NM's he needs - but is strongly against paying for it instead (mercing).

He would rather help his friends and LS mates become better players so that eventually they'll be able to defeat the NM's in question. And he would like to see more people have that mindset as well.

I think this is what he's saying. :)
[+]
By eliroo 2016-08-03 15:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, but seriously, did anyone check how much AoE damage was reduced by on AoE's? I think the system is only in Ambuscade at the moment.

To test it someone would have to basically waste an ambuscade gear by going in almost naked and see how much AoE damage the person with hate takes compared to others.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-08-03 15:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Forgot about the shout thing. Now I don't need to jump to Jeuno or Adoulin to do a Ambuscade shout :) Also I'm interested in the AoE thing too. Sorry if I can't provide anything more than a thank you for anyone who figures it out.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-08-03 15:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Kylos is frustrated that, by his own information, there are 200 people online sometimes with a certain % of that number being afk players, mules and the like. So when it's all said and done he is having a very difficult time getting help for the NM's he needs - but is strongly against paying for it instead (mercing).

He would rather help his friends and LS mates become better players so that eventually they'll be able to defeat the NM's in question. And he would like to see more people have that mindset as well.

Amen brother. Someone gets what I was trying to say! My actual point fails to get across sometimes.
 Fenrir.Brimstonefox
Server: Fenrir
user: Brimstone
By Fenrir.Brimstonefox 2016-08-03 15:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Quote:
Gorpa-Masorpa has undergone sensitivity training, and will now perform the following for players.

that made me /cry...

Yeah no kidding. I read the first part of the sentence thinking oh yeah maybe I can trade multiple items at once, and then discovered oh no more worthless trades wtf....do the people who code this game even live on the same planet?
By Afania 2016-08-03 16:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If he wants to do that then do that, why come into a thread like this and bash those who pay for merc, calls merc selfish and proceed to make assumption about others, then proceed to blame his entire server and friends?

For gods sake he even claim Im selfish and hiding info for absolutely no reason since I always respond to his ask for advice thread.

None of his previous msg conveyed "I just want to help people", more like playing the blame game towards the world he live in.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-03 16:03:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Amen brother. Someone gets what I was trying to say! My actual point fails to get across sometimes.
This makes sense. I agree with the helping people part. But at the same time, if someone does wanna spend the money, I think it's just best to let them and move on. Sorry about your predicament though. Hope you find a solution to it. This game is kind of boring when there's no one to play with.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2016-08-03 16:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

If he wants to do that then do that, why come into a thread like this and bash those who pay for merc, calls merc selfish and proceed to make assumption about others, then proceed to blame his entire server and friends?

For gods sake he even claim Im selfish and hiding info for absolutely no reason since I always respond to his ask for advice thread.

None of his previous msg conveyed "I just want to help people", more like playing the blame game towards the world he live in.
I think enough was said on this subject. We can move on now.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-08-03 16:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

Can we end this? I tried to end it but you keep it going. I responded to Seekerstar mostly. What happened after that was me trying to put it out how Avallon concluded it. I don't like mercs, I discourage mercs, and I believe those who do are more likely to be greedy and selfish. But not all of them, some mercs are good players who have nothing left to do. Or they are so good at multi boxing they might as well get paid for what they're good at after they helped other players for years. Only you have the power to end this Afania. I wanted to end this one page ago.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-08-03 17:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread reopened. Keep it civil.

I don't really care to hear who is blaming who or anyone demanding an apology. Keep it on the topic of the update and discussions of new or updated content.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-08-03 17:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone figured out how SE changed AoEs?
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2016-08-03 17:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

How about them updated morgan boots? Any know if they go over the 40% cap?
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2016-08-03 18:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like shouts on FFXIAH/guildwork don't pull from the new cities added. Hoping that that's something that can be updating and not disconnected forever.
By Nocki 2016-08-03 18:53:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone figured out how SE changed AoEs?

It was explained that they were going to add a mechanic so that mob AoEs wouldn't do full damage to anyone except the main target.
No one I've talked to particularly cares enough to test the exact % because it's only applied in ambu/legion atm.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2016-08-03 19:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Any1 did T3 and higher melee (or ranged) style yet? would like to know how much eva these lost after the update.
 Asura.Raelia
user: Raelia
By Asura.Raelia 2016-08-03 19:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

/yell update is the best thing ever.
[+]
By Kuchane 2016-08-03 20:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
How about them updated morgan boots? Any know if they go over the 40% cap?

This. Inquiring minds (who are too lazy to test it themselves) would like to know!
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-08-03 22:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

What was the finding on acc? That seems to be the most important issue and least disccussed
By Nocki 2016-08-03 22:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azagarth said: »
What was the finding on acc? That seems to be the most important issue and least disccussed
It's less than it was.
[+]
 Asura.Raelia
user: Raelia
By Asura.Raelia 2016-08-03 22:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Azagarth said: »
Mobs went from 2 AGI : 1 Evasion to 4 AGI : 1 Evasion.

Most around lv125 or so lost about 100 evasion. Some of the super high level stuff might have lost more than 200.
 Fenrir.Svens
Server: Fenrir
user: Tenkey
By Fenrir.Svens 2016-08-03 23:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Personal testing has shown that the new feet from Ambuscade do not break the MB cap. Tested on Lightsday in Reisenjima on Lv 124 Territorial Mantis using Fire V, keeping relevant stats constant using a blank Lugh's cape and augmenting it to offset any differences from switching to the new feet.

106 INT+266 using Merlinic feet augmented with +37 MAB (52 total on feet), capped MBD in set, SCH performing fusion skillchain.
Damage: 29628

Switching to Jhakri Pigaches +1: +6 INT, -16 MAB,
Belt switched from empty to Acerbic Sash (-7 INT)
Ear2 switched from Static Earring to Friomisi Earring (+10 MAB) (Still capped MBD without Static Earring)
Lugh's cape augmented with +1 INT, 6 MAB
Only difference is the +5 MBD on Jhakri Pigaches +1 to test if it breaks the cap
Damage: 29628

I might have overlooked something, but I did make sure my MBD was still capped while switching out Static Earring and the damage was constant in both instances. I nuked in each set 3 times and the damage was the same in all 6 instances.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2016-08-03 23:44:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand why people thought the feet would break the MBD cap its a starter set. If merlinic doesn't go past cap why would this one do it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12