Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Unusual Gamepad Issue
Unusual Gamepad Issue
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-22 20:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished installing FFXI on my stepdaughter's computer. Everything is set up and ready to go. We log her in, and the weirdest thing happens:

All of the gamepad controls are wrong. Unlike with other gamepad problems, the gamepad works-- it just doesn't seem to be reading the config file at all. Like if you want to walk forward, you must push the stick down, and all of the buttons do something-- just not what we want them to do. We even tried two completely different Logitech gamepads and the same thing happened on both.

No matter what we put into the Gamepad config (under ToolsUS) the results are the same. We can even completely disable the gamepad yet it still works under its wacky default configuration. We even tried configuring it under Tools and ToolsEU and nothing changed.

TL;DR version:

* The gamepad itself does work. The sticks and all of the buttons do something.
* It simply is not reading the gamepad config at all.
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
Server: Ragnarok
user: ikariiiii
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2016-01-22 21:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I think a recent update broke this config method. I recently went through the same trying to map a PS2 controller to my PC, I took a screenshot of each config change I made to figure out which button truly meant what.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-22 21:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just kind of strange because on my own computer, and my son's computer, the gamepad config works just fine. They were all set up and installed in exactly the same way.
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-01-23 00:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Try running ToolsUS\FFXiPadConfig.exe directly as admin (right click) and see if that helps.
By Jetackuu 2016-01-23 06:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jukiro said: »
I think a recent update broke this config method. I recently went through the same trying to map a PS2 controller to my PC, I took a screenshot of each config change I made to figure out which button truly meant what.
It's been working fine for me since the update after they enabled x-input support (well the old method still worked even then, just the x-input stuff didn't).

As for the OP: Is it an x-input controller?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-01-23 06:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Open regedit
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> PLAYONLINE(US or EU or JP, whatever you are) -> SquareEnix -> FinalFantasyXI
3) Screenshot at your padmode000 and padsin000 values (windows key, type "snip", open). padmode000 is the checkboxes and padsin000 is key assignment, I think.
4) Open the config program, change some of the buttons, hit save
5) Switch back to regedit, hit F5
6) Compare the current padmode000 and padsin000 values to the old ones.

If they changed, then the issue probably isn't in the config program writing the values. If they didn't, you should just modify them directly in memory copying the numbers from your working computer. Using XBOX360 drivers with a PS3 controller, my values are:
padmode000: 1,0,1,1,0,1
padsin000: 8,9,13,12,10,0,1,3,2,15,-1,-1,14,-33,-33,32,32,-36,-36,35,35,6,7,5,4,11,-1
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-23 10:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
1) Open regedit
2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Wow6432Node -> PLAYONLINE(US or EU or JP, whatever you are) -> SquareEnix -> FinalFantasyXI
3) Screenshot at your padmode000 and padsin000 values (windows key, type "snip", open). padmode000 is the checkboxes and padsin000 is key assignment, I think.
4) Open the config program, change some of the buttons, hit save
5) Switch back to regedit, hit F5
6) Compare the current padmode000 and padsin000 values to the old ones.

If they changed, then the issue probably isn't in the config program writing the values. If they didn't, you should just modify them directly in memory copying the numbers from your working computer. Using XBOX360 drivers with a PS3 controller, my values are:
padmode000: 1,0,1,1,0,1
padsin000: 8,9,13,12,10,0,1,3,2,15,-1,-1,14,-33,-33,32,32,-36,-36,35,35,6,7,5,4,11,-1

This is pure genius. It worked beautifully. I cannot thank you enough! Basically all I had to do was plug my step-daughter's gamepad into my computer, configure it, then copy the Regedit values onto her computer.

Now the gamepad works exactly as it should. It doesn't really matter now, but I still wonder how this happened in the first place.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2016-01-23 11:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, I just assumed it happened after an update, but it might've been coincidental. Thanks for the heads up!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-01-23 11:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It's interesting that the problem is somehow SE's config utility writing to the registry entry. I'm not sure what could cause that.
 Ragnarok.Jukiro
By Ragnarok.Jukiro 2016-01-23 11:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm assuming it has something to do with the microsoft xbox 360 controller driver installation, because that is the only thing I can imagine changing