Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Maneuver Duration
Maneuver Duration
 Phoenix.Enochroot
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2015-10-19 12:28:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the update that included the SE-sanctioned status timers, I've noticed that my maneuver duration varies from 1min to 4min and I can't figure out why. I've seen this behavior in Escha-Ru'Aun and also out soloing ZNM stuff. I pinged Capuchin about it and they haven't seen that behavior. Has anyone else? Am I going crazy?

My maneuver set is:

• Kenkonken

• Buffoon's Collar +1

• Burana Earring

• Karagoz Farsetto +1

• Foirse Dastanas +1

• Dispersal Mantle

My current theory is that the "Maneuver effects +" also has a chance to increase maneuver duration. Since I often idle in Midnights while my automaton is engaged, it's possible that due to lag (or whatever) the KKK aren't swapped in in time and that the 4 minute maneuvers I'm seeing are a result of both Burana and Midnights procing; that the 2 minute maneuvers are just Burana; and the 3 minute maneuvers are just Midnights.

Has anyone really tested this? Is it something else I've overlooked or never heard about? Am I going crazy or have other people seen this behavior too?
 Asura.Bartin
Server: Asura
user: Zieara
By Asura.Bartin 2015-10-19 12:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Maneuvers will last longer the longer your puppet has been active.

This was a change in a previous update.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-19 12:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

One server tic while engaged seems to add about one second to maneuver duration. From my testing anyway.
 Phoenix.Enochroot
Server: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2015-10-19 12:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartin said: »

Wow, never heard about that, must've happened when I wasn't active. Thanks!

I'll have to keep an eye on it though, because I'm pretty sure I've seen the duration fluctuate randomly from 1 to 4 minutes regardless of how long the automaton's been out. I only noticed this after the timers were available because I tend to be spamming maneuvers anyway.
By dustinfoley 2015-10-29 08:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesnt fluctuate at all, starts at 1 min duration, caps at 5 minute duration.

Zoneing, dieing, DAD all reset the timer to 1 min.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-29 08:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Hijacking this thread... Can you swap the two Divinators any time you want, or do you have to reactivate your puppet when you do?
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2015-10-30 08:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Enochroot said: »
Asura.Bartin said: »

Wow, never heard about that, must've happened when I wasn't active. Thanks!

I'll have to keep an eye on it though, because I'm pretty sure I've seen the duration fluctuate randomly from 1 to 4 minutes regardless of how long the automaton's been out. I only noticed this after the timers were available because I tend to be spamming maneuvers anyway.
Holy !!!!!!!!!!! :O

That is VERY Useful info :D

But what about the Efficiency of the Manouver ? Has it been changed any ?

I asking because the other day went PUP to Escha-Ru'Aun and took me a while to PUP Kill enemy

SMN comes along 1 shot it -.-

BST 1 ***it

ME PUP 5~10 min of my toy trying to kill (Dont get me wrong, it didnt get below 98% HP w/o any Manouvers) however.......... 5-10 min is A LONG TIME considering the freaking SMN and BST 1 shot it -.-

/sigh..................

so any ideas ?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-30 09:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Puppets are just so customisable that it's easy to mess them up for the purposes you want.

I don't really have a good grasp on the job myself yet, but from what it seems you'll need a good bit of pet haste gear to make your puppet a solid DD.

The biggest improvement you could do would be to make sure you're using the right frame and head for the damage you want to deal, then making sure you've got the attachments you'd most benefit from, then another layer of abstraction of using the right 3 maneuvers to get the most of your puppet.

There will simply never be a way for PUP to press a single button to "kill".
 Asura.Ghanni
Server: Asura
user: Ghanni
By Asura.Ghanni 2015-10-30 09:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless I'm missing something an Automaton does not have a way to replicate the constant damage put out by a beast pet because we don't have a 10 second FU button.

That said we can skillchain with our pet frequently. When you say fights are taking 5-10 min are you just standing there watching your puppet?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-30 12:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

PUP doesn't play like any other job in the game. It is an incredibly unique experience. While it cannot reach the levels that other jobs can(With the exception of tanking, sweet jesus is the Automaton an incredible tank), it's main draw has ALWAYS been adaptability. It has an absolutely staggering arsenal, and being a TRUE PuppetMASTER means knowing how to customize and set up your machine for a situation.

I kill Aerns/Sharks in Ru'ann in about 10-20 seconds solo. Victory Smite > Armor Shatterer > Light should always be doing about 15k to damn near anything you are CPing on(Not including Apex). Stringing Pummel deals more damage than Victory Smite, but String Shredder is kind of a shitty WS. Since the Automaton will be closing the skillchain, you get more damage out of having him use a stronger WS.

Tbh, the absolute best thing we could get for PUP is an attachment that increases SC damage. That would be dooooooooope.

Anyway. If you want to kill things a bit faster, try these attachments:

Valor Edge head, Sharpshot body
Inhibitor
Inhibitor II
Coiler II
Coiler
Turbo Charger
Turbo Charger II
Strongest Tension springs you can set
Optic Fiber
Strongest ARKs, Armor plates and Mana Jammers you can set.

Wind Wind Thunder

Focus on master gear, but slide in pieces to help your puppet where you can. Once you get good, you can change from Master TP gear to Puppet TP gear after Master WS to speed up the puppets TP so he can close SC. It works VERY well. You need pretty good Automaton TP gear though.