Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Grandia 2 HD
Grandia 2 HD
 Siren.Dilandu
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-08-19 16:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Grandia 2 HD will be coming out for the PC on Steam and GoG. Release date is August 24 which will be it's 15th anniversary. Features updated HD graphics, higher difficulty for veteran players, controller support, and best of all optional Japanese voice track.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/grandia-2-coming-to-steam-this-month/

This is what FF7 should have done IMO. Not a remake to turn it into an Action RPG. If I wanted to play an Action RPG, I would stick with Dark Souls.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-19 16:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait what

Sorry guys, no more site work, I gots things to do
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-19 16:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What's Grandia?
By Draylo 2015-08-19 16:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh I love this game but I hate playing them on the PC.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-19 16:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
What's Grandia?

An RPG series that does the FF thing where none of the games have anything to do with each other. They're okay, but Grandia II on the Dreamcast was, for its time, the best you could get.

The combat system in particular was fun and required some thought. The plot wasn't anything special, but it wasn't bad, and it had a great soundtrack.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-19 16:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I may check it out.
By Draylo 2015-08-19 16:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Me too if they have enhanced difficulty setting, we'll see. I do wanna play KOTOR2 they have on there as well.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Arcksan
Server: Carbuncle
user: Pluton
By Carbuncle.Arcksan 2015-08-19 17:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

omg so cool :O
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-08-19 17:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Me too if they have enhanced difficulty setting, we'll see. I do wanna play KOTOR2 they have on there as well.

The higher difficulty is the main reason for me to replay this game. I already own the game on the Dreamcast US and JP Limited Edition.

Also congrats Rooks on becoming the cardmaster admin.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-08-19 17:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dilandu said: »
Grandia 2 HD will be coming out for the PC on Steam and GoG. Release date is August 24 which will be it's 15th anniversary. Features updated HD graphics, higher difficulty for veteran players, controller support, and best of all optional Japanese voice track.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/grandia-2-coming-to-steam-this-month/

This is what FF7 should have done IMO. Not a remake to turn it into an Action RPG. If I wanted to play an Action RPG, I would stick with Dark Souls.

Why would Square-Enix remaster FFVII that way when you can basically get everything described with PC mods? They've been saying for years that they want to remake the entire game, which is what alot of fans have wanted.

If you want FFVII remastered, just buy it on Steam (or pirate it if that's how you swing) and download "Tifa's Final Heaven", a suite of tools that allows you to customize how you want to mod the game.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-08-19 17:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I still have my PS2 copy of Grandia 2. I only played it once, and remember being disappointed being that Grandia was so amazing, and nothing really stood out to me in Grandia 2. I always hear good things about it though, and since it's been over 10 years since I last played it, maybe I'll play it again soon.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-08-19 17:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »
I still have my PS2 copy of Grandia 2. I only played it once, and remember being disappointed being that Grandia was so amazing, and nothing really stood out to me in Grandia 2. I always hear good things about it though, and since it's been over 10 years since I last played it, maybe I'll play it again soon.

The PS2/PC versions were different/worse in some ways, though I can't for the life of me remember what they are now. I vaguely recall them botching the port, but it's been a while.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-08-19 17:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I'm actually playing through KOTOR atm, gonna move onto KOTOR2 afterwards.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-08-19 18:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dilandu said: »

So whats it gonna be now? 7 fans bitching about wanting a remake, now they're bitching about the remake? ***son ***.

Anyway, never had a chance to try out any of the grandia games when I was younger cause I was a squaresoft boy, but I may try it out sometime now.
By Pantafernando 2015-08-19 18:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Last month i was wondering, while hearing countless top N-songs from games, to play Grandia II. I was expecting I could find it on steam or a pc version but there wasnt any, and i wasnt into buying a console just to play it, but luckly, the same year i decided to try Grandia II, it was decided to realease on steam. Luckly it was sooner than i expected, but i dont think steam release all games at same time, so lets see if brasil can get that soon.

Personally what i liked the most in Grandia I was the jrpg elements, almost like an anime with simple but funny characters, a not so complex plot but still enjoyable.

So, Grandia II, yes please!
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2015-08-19 19:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I liked Grandia II. Grandia 1 was way better, but Grandia II was still good. One thing I remember about Grandia II especially was that it got much darker than the first one. That and the music was mostly unmemorable, with only a few exceptional tracks that I still keep on my playlist.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-08-19 19:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember really enjoying the game on PS2 but the voice acting was pretty cringe-worthy
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-08-19 19:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I remember really enjoying the game on PS2 but the voice acting was pretty cringe-worthy

Other than Millenia's English voice was OK. I didn't like the rest especially Roan. Grandia Xtreme has by far the worst voice acting out of all the Grandia games.

Steam and GOG release will have Japanese voices.
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-08-24 21:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just a Dreamcast port to the PC. Title of the game was changed to Grandia II Anniversary Edition. No widescreen support and the hard difficulty is 25% increase in HP for all enemies. Pretty lame way to increase difficulty. Running 1080P, the game looks lackluster even with 8X AA. Dreamcast 480P with VGA adapter hooked to a PC monitor looks way better.

Bought the game anyways for $14.99, will just do a quick playthrough on hard with Japanese voices.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2015-08-24 22:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Loved this game. It and Skies of Arcadia are the reasons I don't regret having a dreamcast.
[+]
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-08-24 23:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Loved this game. It and Skies of Arcadia are the reasons I don't regret having a dreamcast.

Those are the 2 main RPG worth owning a Dreamcast. I also liked Record of Lodoss War. Other than that most of my Dreamcast library is import games.

Played a little over a hour so far and it's still way too easy even with the 25% HP increase to enemies.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-08-24 23:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

HP increase couldn't have ever really do much to up the difficulty sadly since the battle system was all about sustainability and interrupting anyways, it just makes fights longer : (. They should have also sped up enemy cast times and boosted damage.
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-08-25 22:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
HP increase couldn't have ever really do much to up the difficulty sadly since the battle system was all about sustainability and interrupting anyways, it just makes fights longer : (. They should have also sped up enemy cast times and boosted damage.

Hard Mode: Some fans are concerned that our Hard Mode is just a minor bump in enemy HP. Here is a simple breakdown of the changes:

World Enemies (small adjustments):
- Increase in attack frequency
- Increased HP
- Increased defense (for some)

Boss Monsters:
- Increased frequency of attacks and spells
- Large boost to HP, defense, and (for some) base damage values
- Vulnerabilities to specific attacks has been decreased, but not to the point that they no longer have a “weakness”

I shouldn't listen to what people say until they actually finish the game. So far I got to the Eyes of Valmar. Not really challenging but I had to use some items which I never do normally. One major glitch Zap deals no damage. One of my favorite spells to use for random encounters. Also holy ***the sound effects are loud as ***. Can really hear that clunk clunk clunk footsteps. I was playing with no sound yesterday so didn't notice. No way to adjust in options either.

Hopefully the vulnerabilities imply to being immune to -Act and -Move spells. Those are game breaking cheese spells.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [35 days between previous and next post]
By Pantafernando 2015-09-29 20:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh, Ive been playing Grandia since yesterday, and both times my game crashes after playing ~2h.
Someone else is having those problems? Ive been reading that crashes arent uncommon in Grandia, but my notebook is crap anyway...