users online
Forum » FFXI » Adoulin » Picking a SoA ring
Picking a SoA ring
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2015-06-15 21:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's not sugarcoat it, Haverton is terrible and people that get it should feel terrible
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-06-15 21:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not terrible, it's just situational. Whereas others apply to more situations and provide larger benefits.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-06-15 22:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It had a situation...before you could call trusts almost anywhere and could get DW in almost every slot. The situations where it would be relevant are just too theoretical and tend to be when you barely even care about optimizing damage output anyways.

I would almost consider its possible use to Rangers...if Trueflight didn't exist.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2015-06-17 12:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
I don't see a single reason you would ever get Vocane Ring, PDT is not hard to cap.

Vocane isn't just PDT, it's -DT%. And with Dring, -17% DT in only two slots allows you to retain more DD gear in your hybrid sets. Hell, with Twilight Torque and Shell V you've nearly capped -MDT while simultaneously wearing -22% PDT in only 3 slots.

You could argue for a dark ring with both PDT and MDT instead, but finding one with high values (5-6%) of both could take forever.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-06-17 12:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadow Ring is a thing, cap your MDT somewhere else. Vocane is a waste of an SoA ring.
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2015-06-17 12:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Shadow Ring is a thing, cap your MDT somewhere else. Vocane is a waste of an SoA ring.

Which I use in my full -MDT set, along with other things like Engulfer cape +1 and Warder's charm +1. I think you missed the part where I said,

Quote:
allows you to retain more DD gear in your hybrid sets.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-17 12:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
Which I use in my full -MDT set, along with other things like Engulfer cape +1 and Warder's charm +1.
Minor thing, just so nobody is mislead, but Engulfer and Warder's don't stack.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2015-06-17 12:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Which I use in my full -MDT set, along with other things like Engulfer cape +1 and Warder's charm +1.
Minor thing, just so nobody is mislead, but Engulfer and Warder's don't stack.

Ah, I had wondered about that. Thanks.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-06-18 01:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Which I use in my full -MDT set, along with other things like Engulfer cape +1 and Warder's charm +1. I think you missed the part where I said,

Quote:
~1/8 chance at annulment vs the DD ring of your choice. Do I really need to spell this one out for you? If the DD ring is legitimately the right answer then you shouldn't be in a defensive or even partially defensive set in the first place.

Engulfer's +1 is likewise worth using in a hybrid set. Lower chance at absorption, but also contributes a decent chunk of MDT.
By Draylo 2015-06-18 01:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Weatherspoon ring is the best, close second would be the movement speed ring for its usefulness for different jobs.
 Asura.Cambion
Server: Asura
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2015-06-18 03:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
~1/8 chance at annulment vs the DD ring of your choice. Do I really need to spell this one out for you? If the DD ring is legitimately the right answer then you shouldn't be in a defensive or even partially defensive set in the first place.

Engulfer's +1 is likewise worth using in a hybrid set. Lower chance at absorption, but also contributes a decent chunk of MDT.

You misunderstood what he said. He's not talking about a DD ring, he's talking about Vocane Ring, allowing you to use every slot but 3 (2 rings, 1 neck) for DD gear in your 'hybrid' set.
Rather than Shadow Ring, where you're still going to need MDT and PDT in a 4th slot to get to/near the cap.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-06-18 06:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If we ever get the chance to pick a second ring through Rhapsodies of Vana'diel KIs I'll be really undecided, but I'll probably get the ring with Refreshidle + Geomancy Skill.
The one with Sublimation and Vocane would be both tempting though.
By dustinfoley 2015-06-18 07:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I would settle for a KI that lets you change rings for 3k bayld instead of 300k >< Just put a 1 week timer on the thing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-06-18 08:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thurandaut is more than just the DT. Certain pets can cap certain defenses, but PUP and SMN both can cap DT at 87.5.

But more specifically, Thurandaut would be worthwhile if it JUST had Atk/Acc, as it's the only way to get those in those slots. I think maybe there was some augment system back at 75 that had a chance of giving you that ***, but it was super time consuming to try and get.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2015-06-18 10:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cambion said: »
You misunderstood what he said. He's not talking about a DD ring, he's talking about Vocane Ring, allowing you to use every slot but 3 (2 rings, 1 neck) for DD gear in your 'hybrid' set.
Rather than Shadow Ring, where you're still going to need MDT and PDT in a 4th slot to get to/near the cap.
Eh, yeah, my bad. Still, the point carries. Shadow Ring's damage reduction over time is just shy of Vocane's benefit if it caps your MDT (which should be fine if you're in a hybrid set, and if total MDT is below ~45% with Vocane then Shadow Ring is better) and doesn't require you to waste a mission ring.
 Sylph.Dravidian
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-06-18 15:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I would recommend Weatherspoon or Vocane. The DD ring is minor damage improvements on some WS and just flat out gets destroyed by the crafted rings in other. Even in a stacked rudras it was minor over a ramuh +1 in damage.

Vocane is universal making it nice. Weathersppon is also amazing and I've even contemplated it to get higher FC on my paladin.

I really hate these SoA rings, a lot of them are rings that I want, but none that are really like I GOTTA HAVE! For example, when rajas first came out. So they drive me nuts because none of them really greatly impact anything at all, but would be nice for min/maxing though minor.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-18 15:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

annulment is useless unless you're not using a WHM, in which case your target likely doesn't matter anyway

best case scenario, you save one single target cure(that was likely free anyway with emp119 legs).. worst case scenario, you lower the return on a curaga that hit the other DD present

survivability will always matter more than mean damage taken..
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-06-18 15:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Vocane isn't just PDT, it's -DT%.

Irrelevant, as both PLD and RUN can easily cap MDT without that ring slot. And there's almost no point in dedicating a reward to a DT- ring unless you're intending to use it for tanking (i.e. PLD or RUN). If you're picking a DT- ring for idle/DT sets on your DD or mage, you're TOTALLY wasting a slot.

Lack of BDT- is similarly irrelevant just because of how rarely it matters.

D.Ring is obviously best. For defensive options to pair with it, Shadow Ring is better for absorb, Patricius is better to reach PDT- cap along with useful Acc+7 (which is basically always going to matter on anything hard enough for you to be tanking in a full DT- set).

So Vocane is only for the tank who can't get a D.Ring. Though if that's you, at least the rings are exchangeable at a fairly hefty Bayld cost so I guess you have a temporary option pre-D.Ring? Otherwise, total waste of a reward.
 Asura.Cambion
user: Cambion
By Asura.Cambion 2015-06-19 14:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone gone for the Karyieh Ring?
Is the Regain 50tp a tick, meaning a full minute for 1000tp.
As a career Dnc, it's a nice idle piece for basically everything I ever do, even if it doesn't make it into any of my TP or WS sets.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-06-19 14:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

it's 5 tp a tick, meaning 10 minutes for 1000 tp
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [637 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Nyarmenyar
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nyarmenyar 2017-03-18 01:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, came back to ffxi this month and got my ring from this mission (yay). I saw that there are +1 versions of the rings. Cant seem to find any info online on how to +1 my ring, could anyone point me in the right direction?
 Odin.Rikiyame
Server: Odin
user: Rikiyame
By Odin.Rikiyame 2017-03-18 01:32:52
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/The_Ygnas_Directive
 Asura.Sesono
user: Zyanide
By Asura.Sesono 2017-03-18 02:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

you should have posted this link instead:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Reja_Ygridhi

After you did ALL of this you get the micro upgrade on your ring :D
(and thats not even all you have to do). I know many have but i also know much more will never ever even consider finishing this^^
 Ragnarok.Nyarmenyar
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nyarmenyar 2017-03-18 02:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks Rikiyame and Sesono! ^-^