users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Question regarding clients
Question regarding clients
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Yomi Kaenbu 2015-06-01 08:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey I got banned from the Official Forums so I can't ask there.

If I already got my Steam client installed on my PC, can I download the non-steam client and play on it on my current SE account? I'm getting fed up with waiting on Steam to release the heavensward pre-order, and frankly I'd like to end my nightmare next week on my payday.

I heard from people on the forum if I play on the steam client, I can't play on a non-steam client on that particular SE account, is this true?

I can understand the compatibility issues, I mean they gotta make money too, but holding off until 18 days until early access = poor choices and it's only pissed off their consumers to the point that they're not going to give Steam their business regarding FFXIV from here on out.
Server: Excalibur
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-06-01 08:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't aware that the client was actually different in steam. I thought it was just launching the same client via steam so it gives you the groovy little status message of "Playing: FFXIV".
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-06-01 09:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you can log in to any client as long as you registered it but you have to remake hotbars and macros.
By Yomi Kaenbu 2015-06-01 09:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I think you can log in to any client as long as you registered it but you have to remake hotbars and macros.

I can copy and paste my macros, that's not a big deal tbh. I'm done with the crap steam is pulling, I'm gonna have this stuff nipped in the bud during my next paycheck because I don't like waiting around when I could spend my money and be done with it
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-06-01 09:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Kira Samishii said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »

I can copy and paste my macros, that's not a big deal tbh. I'm done with the crap steam is pulling, I'm gonna have this stuff nipped in the bud during my next paycheck because I don't like waiting around when I could spend my money and be done with it
Well, I know Dameion plays on PC and PS4 so it should be fine unless Steam has some odd flag on your account that makes it Steam only.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-06-01 09:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Steam client is not like the normal PC one, it's like its own platform. You can't play it on a non-Steam PC but you may be able to play on PS4 or PS3 if you register a new key.

If you want to play on PC without Steam you'll have to start over.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-06-01 09:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
If you buy a different platform, your account is still locked to Steam -- you need to start a new account on a new platform, thus you lose your old characters/account. (Or more exactly, they're still stuck on the Steam account.) You cannot just buy for a different platform and log on through what had been a Steam account.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-06-01 09:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That's messed up, but if she's going to start over, at least she can start over on glorious Excalibur server.
By Yomi Kaenbu 2015-06-01 10:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not moving to Excal, I never will.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-06-01 10:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They'll get the pre-order before early access so I don't see how it's a big issue anyway
By Yomi Kaenbu 2015-06-01 10:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
They'll get the pre-order before early access so I don't see how it's a big issue anyway

The issue stems from the facts.

1.) People don't like to pussy foot around, they prefer to buy a preorder ahead of schedule. This can be preference or financial necessity.

2.)Steam is notorious for shafting players on MMO's, my prime example being Elder Scrolls Online.

3.) Steam users were lied to be devs. We were told specifically mid to late May. It is now June and we haven't even gotten a single solitary word about it. Players don't like that, they want time frame and not being slapped in the face. He'll be devs never even apologized for being late, then again they've never done that before to begin with.

People on the PC copy are spoiled, they don't know the frustration steam and console players are facing right now. Unless you are playing steam, you don't have the right to say a damn thing.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-06-01 10:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Kira Samishii said: »

The issue stems from the facts.

1.) People don't like to pussy foot around, they prefer to buy a preorder ahead of schedule. This can be preference or financial necessity.

2.)Steam is notorious for shafting players on MMO's, my prime example being Elder Scrolls Online.

3.) Steam users were lied to be devs. We were told specifically mid to late May. It is now June and we haven't even gotten a single solitary word about it. Players don't like that, they want time frame and not being slapped in the face. He'll be devs never even apologized for being late, then again they've never done that before to begin with.

People on the PC copy are spoiled, they don't know the frustration steam and console players are facing right now. Unless you are playing steam, you don't have the right to say a damn thing.
PS4 still doesn't seem to have HW pre-order up yet. >.>
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-06-01 10:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Console is supposed to be up next week though, seems likely the Steam version will be too then
[+]
By Yomi Kaenbu 2015-06-01 12:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Console is supposed to be up next week though, seems likely the Steam version will be too then

It better..Or Valve'll be getting an irate customer.