New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 92 93 94 ... 136 137 138
By soralin 2020-07-21 15:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Even with reprisal up, Ochain does not automatically cap block rate on everything. Against sufficiently high level mobs there is still value in having additional block+.

Also, from a DD PLD perspective every hit parried is a hit you didn't get to block, and get shield mastery TP for. Parrying is actively detrimental to your TP gain unless you're /RUN. And even then shield mastery is much better TP gain than /RUN tactical parry. so it's till a tp gain nerf compared to blocking.

In terms of dmg reduction blocked hits are very likely to hit 0 anyway with phalanx up. So I don't see that parry holds much advantage unless your block rate is nonexistent. So Aegis.

Personally, I don't think a parry+ cape is worth the inventory- on PLD.

Interesting, I misunderstood how block rates work.

Does seem though that +block chance will be useless on Aegis, so I still just dunno if its worth to go +block rate specifically for Ochain usage.

Other options are +5 regen, which will start stacking up quite a bit, since we are already at 7 regen from the Volte gear, so that pushes us up to a 12 tick regen. Not bad. For solo content with Excalibur thats a whopping 42 tick regen, pretty snazzy.

I guess it really depends on what content you would expect to run up against solo, if you expect to use ochain or an ilvl shield often, +block rate probably is best I suppose.
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-21 16:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
Even with reprisal up, Ochain does not automatically cap block rate on everything. Against sufficiently high level mobs there is still value in having additional block+.

Also, from a DD PLD perspective every hit parried is a hit you didn't get to block, and get shield mastery TP for. Parrying is actively detrimental to your TP gain unless you're /RUN. And even then shield mastery is much better TP gain than /RUN tactical parry. so it's till a tp gain nerf compared to blocking.

In terms of dmg reduction blocked hits are very likely to hit 0 anyway with phalanx up. So I don't see that parry holds much advantage unless your block rate is nonexistent. So Aegis.

Personally, I don't think a parry+ cape is worth the inventory- on PLD.

Interesting, I misunderstood how block rates work.

Does seem though that +block chance will be useless on Aegis, so I still just dunno if its worth to go +block rate specifically for Ochain usage.

Other options are +5 regen, which will start stacking up quite a bit, since we are already at 7 regen from the Volte gear, so that pushes us up to a 12 tick regen. Not bad. For solo content with Excalibur thats a whopping 42 tick regen, pretty snazzy.

I guess it really depends on what content you would expect to run up against solo, if you expect to use ochain or an ilvl shield often, +block rate probably is best I suppose.

Yeah Aegis will be really low block rate. I actually think counter+10 could be optimal in terms of damage reduction with Aegis lol (if trying to reduce normal attack dmg with aegis...)
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-21 16:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a very rough and dirty estimate, So take it with a grain of salt, but...

Aegis with the new reprisal skill bonus should hit the floor at about mob lvl 133. Considering we should be able to assume Rudianos' cape is equipped if we're talking about cape augs, we can push that up 2 more levels from the native non-augment block+3. So on mobs up to lvl 135 with reprisal up, the block+ augment would still add it's full block+5% without losing any potency to the floor.
By soralin 2020-07-21 17:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

135 is a fairly high target tbh, thats much higher than I expected before it starts to bottom out.

Good to know. I might start more seriously considering chasing after volte equipment if it lets me push paladin soloing up to totally new tiers of gear.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-21 17:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind that this is, again, the point at which it floors. It does mean that block+ isn't useless at that level, but it also means that Aegis is sitting at a painfully low 5% block rate(7.5% really. reprisal mod.) But at least you can still push that up a bit via gear without having some of it disappear into the underfloor void first.
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-27 15:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Question for you Martel!

So I was putting together an ideal resist charm set for annoying dynamis BST mobs:

ItemSet 374586

Here is the set, if anyone is interested.

But my question is, what would the block rate on adamas be like? I seem to recall from years back the block rate was similar to Aegis, but it has the same reprisal buff as priwen.

I know its still going to be low, like 10-15% with reprisal? But any +block rate gear will be tripled? +20 stat resist is very nice and tanking single target status effects are what are gonna mess you up way more than physical dmg.
By Taint 2020-07-27 16:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flowen said: »
Question for you Martel!

So I was putting together an ideal resist charm set for annoying dynamis BST mobs:

ItemSet 374586

But my question is, what would the block rate on adamas be like? I seem to recall from years back the block rate was similar to Aegis, but it has the same reprisal buff as priwen.

I know its still going to be low, like 10-15% with reprisal? But any +block rate gear will be tripled? +20 stat resist is very nice and tanking single target status effects are what are gonna mess you up way more than physical dmg.

Wouldn't MEVA of Priwen be better? (not to mention the other stats)

https://www.ffxiah.com/item/28648/priwen
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-27 16:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Question for you Martel!

ItemSet 374586

Resist stat is a seperate check to magic evasion, and I think stacking resist stat or all (Resist! not just one of the resist states from mob Macc vs Meva) should be way more effective against higher level mobs with decent Macc. Not that I've tested this too much mind you.. would be interested to learn more about this relationship
By Taint 2020-07-27 16:25:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Question for you Martel!

ItemSet 374586

Resist stat is a seperate check to magic evasion, and I think stacking resist stat or all (Resist! not just one of the resist states from mob Macc vs Meva) should be way more effective against higher level mobs with decent Macc. Not that I've tested this too much mind you.. would be interested to learn more about this relationship

Resist also get halved on higher lvl mobs.

Your set has decent MEVA already, but its a feast or famine stat.
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2020-07-27 16:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

obs with decent Macc. Not that I've tested

Edit: no idea why it didn't copy your entire quote.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/52250/resist-testing/5/

Here's a thread about it. I tested Resist Silence a while back so there's so good info there about stacking resist traits. Seems like the highest you can have is a 90% chance to automatically ignore that status effect. It's 1/2 on NMs but you can stack past 100 for them. Also, food that effects resist traits are not weakened on NMs. It happens before a magic evasion check so it's separate from magic evasion stuff. Based on what I've seen, Barsilence/ect seem to be magic evasion only.
By Nariont 2020-07-27 16:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

seems like youd be tanking your HP in that, all in all, looking like 70~ resist charm before any kind of buffs/food, due to halved on NMs, might be a lil more since no data on the rings
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-27 17:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Dekar said: »
obs with decent Macc. Not that I've tested

Edit: no idea why it didn't copy your entire quote.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/52250/resist-testing/5/

Here's a thread about it. I tested Resist Silence a while back so there's so good info there about stacking resist traits. Seems like the highest you can have is a 90% chance to automatically ignore that status effect. It's 1/2 on NMs but you can stack past 100 for them. Also, food that effects resist traits are not weakened on NMs. It happens before a magic evasion check so it's separate from magic evasion stuff. Based on what I've seen, Barsilence/ect seem to be magic evasion only.

Yeah I saw this, nice testing. From this it seems +stat resist is going to be most effective against a single debuff if you can push it high enough, followed by meva+, but I guess to Taint's point, if meva was high enough you could floor the enemy macc, perhaps beyond 90% resist, although I dont think this is the case on dynamis nms/high ilvl mobs.

Nariont said: »
seems like youd be tanking your HP in that, all in all, looking like 70~ resist charm before any kind of buffs/food, due to halved on NMs, might be a lil more since no data on the rings

For sure, this is meant as a preemptive set/incoming charm button, not a fulltime set. Just one of those debuffs you really want to fully resist, especially low man and trusts get despawned.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-07-27 18:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Question for you Martel!

ItemSet 374586

Block+ gear is added after reprisal is applied. So you get nothing from reprisal there. Further, your blockrate has to catch up to the floor before you start to get visible gains from block+ gear. So it's entirely possible, and even likely in this case, to add block+ gear and see no increase.

I don't have the actual levels for the various namis mobs, but on 139 mobs with reprisal's skill+ up you'd be looking at about a 3.79% block rate. So apply the floor to get us up to 5%, then the reprisal mod(Adamas version, *3) for 15%.

I think you may safely expect 15% blockrate with Adamas+Reprisal in Dynamis D on wave 3. Probably wave 2 as well, but again, mob levels. And it's a size 3 shield so it's actually about 5% base blockrate worse than even Aegis. Palisade would go a long way towards letting you survive wearing that, since it does benefit from reprisal. So if you're wearing it for a short window, combine with palisade.

But really, if at all possible, just Fealty. I really want SE to reduce the recast a bit though. You do sometimes get BST mobs a bit too close together in some namis D zones...

Some other resist thoughts... Solemnity cape is +15 resist charm. But you'd lose out on any meva on Rudianos.

If the focus is solely resisting charm.. . /RUN for 9% tenacity, the a 2 rune Tenebrae Pflug for +20%... Total at +184 resist charm before the rings, halve to 92, then cap at 90%.

But losing /blu for anything where you actually have to tank would suuuuck.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
By Shiva.Flowen 2020-07-27 20:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Question for you Martel!

ItemSet 374586

Block+ gear is added after reprisal is applied. So you get nothing from reprisal there. Further, your blockrate has to catch up to the floor before you start to get visible gains from block+ gear. So it's entirely possible, and even likely in this case, to add block+ gear and see no increase.

I don't have the actual levels for the various namis mobs, but on 139 mobs with reprisal's skill+ up you'd be looking at about a 3.79% block rate. So apply the floor to get us up to 5%, then the reprisal mod(Adamas version, *3) for 15%.

I think you may safely expect 15% blockrate with Adamas+Reprisal in Dynamis D on wave 3. Probably wave 2 as well, but again, mob levels. And it's a size 3 shield so it's actually about 5% base blockrate worse than even Aegis. Palisade would go a long way towards letting you survive wearing that, since it does benefit from reprisal. So if you're wearing it for a short window, combine with palisade.

But really, if at all possible, just Fealty. I really want SE to reduce the recast a bit though. You do sometimes get BST mobs a bit too close together in some namis D zones...

Some other resist thoughts... Solemnity cape is +15 resist charm. But you'd lose out on any meva on Rudianos.

If the focus is solely resisting charm.. . /RUN for 9% tenacity, the a 2 rune Tenebrae Pflug for +20%... Total at +184 resist charm before the rings, halve to 92, then cap at 90%.

But losing /blu for anything where you actually have to tank would suuuuck.

Thanks for the run down! I missed the 15 on the cape, that's nice.

Yeah fealty 100%, needs a 5min cooldown! But this set + sentinel or palisade should be a very reliable back up to deal with charm.
[+]
 Asura.Mystikangel
Server: Asura
user: winger
By Asura.Mystikangel 2020-08-01 18:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys talking about hybrid builds have got me excited. Especially the possibilities of reprisal + srivatsa.

Tomorrow, i get srivatsa. I've decided to try a very out-of-meta experiemental build. A counter build!

While counter on its surface seems powerful, especially for a job where the enemy is supposed to be facing you, it's balanced by needing to pass an accuracy check. This is something woefully out or reach for my paladin's paltry 854 out-of-the-box accuracy with an afterglowed burtgang... or, is it?

ItemSet 373857

The cape
The craziest thing about this build is the cape. HP+60, Accuracy+30, Attack+20, Haste+10%, Counter+10%.

For now, ignore the Haste. I'll use a needle to replace it with Double Attack if I have issues with maintaining AM3. I kind of want the latitude of being haste capped to try various pieces of gear while i play with Srivatsa.

With Amar Cluster, Cryptic Earring and this crazy cape I'm at a whopping 15% counter, but all that is useless unless I have enough accuracy to actually pass the counter check.

So, where did I land with all these pieces?

The result
With HP, DT and accuracy all carefully balanced here, I'm approximating these numbers once i get srivatsa:
DT-48% (could be capped by replacing amar cluster with staunch tathlum. easy fix.)
3066 HP/989 MP
Counter +15
Accuracy 1158 (30 more if R15)
Accuracy with Enlight II 1275
Capped haste
41 Store TP

With HM, March, Madrigal and Ballad - I'm expecting to be able to hit all content without an issue. If I were tanking disengaged (as I typically do) I would trade madrigal out for Foe Sirvente.

A few last thoughts:
  • I'm having fun here. this is an experiment!

• I realize I have additional room to play with a build like this because of burtgang.

• This is a build for spamming atonement above all. I wanted to make a build that would make R15'ing a burtgang worth it. I'm not gonna R15 it unless it's practical and fun to play paladin while engaged. I tank almost everything disengaged right now and i want a reason to lock my weapon to add some diversity to my play.

I'll post again after doing some omen and dyna with it!
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 18:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If the goal is counter, you should strongly consider fitting in the obvious sacro breastplate.
 Asura.Mystikangel
user: winger
By Asura.Mystikangel 2020-08-01 18:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, forgot Sacro Breastplate had so much counter. That's not something I had considered. That could open up avenues. Drops a lot of STP, accuracy and a whopping 12 DT, though. Gonna need to look into fitting that in.

I guess my goal is to make a build that exploits srivatsa's strengths while also testing to see if srivatsa could synergize with atonement spam. If they do work together, I would then have a reason to R15 burtgang which is another reason to run this experiment.

In my eyes, srivatsa is a shield that's designed for you to be engaged and hitting the enemy (where i'm typically not engaged with aegis).

Annuls damage+5 is similar in spirit to counter. -8 DT, +150HP/MP and +15 enmity on srivatsa allows moving around other pieces for accuracy which synergizes again with counter.

If one could reach 20-45% physical damage nullification by virtue of counter while maintaining damage cap, 3K HP and atonement spam all while being fun to play - I wanna at least try it out.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-01 19:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Just something to think about.

The goal is to build tp, and counter negates building tp. CounterPLD is by nature, counter-intuitive. You want shield blocks as tp generators more than you want full damage negation.

Unless the subgoal is minimize healing while still damaging.
[+]
 Asura.Shurtugalx
user: Shurtugal
By Asura.Shurtugalx 2020-08-03 15:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all. Been rummaging through as many posts as I can, but can't seem to find an optimal Meva build that doesn't include Volte gear. Anyone have a set they would recommend? Just finished Burtgang!
By Nariont 2020-08-03 16:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

short answer is there really isnt outside of sacro breastplate/macabre gaunts, pld really lacks for any even strong meva gear outside of volte
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-08-03 16:23:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah PLD is a heavy armor job and outside of the mentioned Volte, Macabre, and Sacro, heavy armor doesn't really have gear that breaks the 'heavy armor no get meva' rule.

Personally, I wish they kept their armor class soft rules but that's never gonna happen. They're well past that bridge with malignance existing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-08-05 19:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So. We have very interesting PLD related adjustments to battlemod coming courtesy of Ragnarok.Kenshi. I've been helping with some of the testing.

Battlemod has been able to show when an attack was blocked by a shield for a good while now, but with certain restrictions.

It would only show with text simplify on, a setting I personally do not care for, and didn't show blocks on monster WS, physical blu spells, etc. And there was also a display issue that made the block message not show if the hit was also a crit.

Now we get blocks without text simplification on.

And blocks show on crits.

And the really awesome part is that Kenshi found info in the packets that appears to indicate if a WS was blocked or not.

I've been having a lot of fun with this. <,<;

Oh, and the Cover! message now plays nice with the Block message.

We can also see blocks on AoE melee attacks now as well, such as iron clads and mantids.

We can see blocked physical Blue magic spells...

And the same.... when blocked by mobs. lol.

And WS blocked by mobs.

Dullahan's have crazy block rates!

And an interesting thing to note is that the blocked WS packet field is always either blocked, or not. There's nothing in between for blocking some of the hits of a WS. This could just be a display thing. Or it indicate that multi hit WS are either completely blocked, or completely unblocked in a single check. I've not done enough testing to say for certain if this is the case, but the dmg I've been seeing on blocked multi hit WS makes it seem likely that it is doing all hits at this point.(Could also just be an Ochain side effect. The reprisal buff was very nice to Ochain.)

A pull request was submitted for these changes already, but I'm not sure when they will be going live.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-08-05 20:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That's super neat. Thank you, Kenshi!
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-08-05 20:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this just going to be pushed, or do I have to download/enable something?
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-05 20:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man, I wish I had that when I waa comparing trust tank damage taken and enmity generation. Some of them don't have huge block reduction percentages, so separating blocks and non-blocks was a pain.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-08-05 21:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gotenn said: »
It should be included in an auto update for battlemod, eventually. I know that a pull request was already submitted. I think that goes to the dev version first, and then has to be pushed live. But honestly I'm not too clear on the exact details of the process.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-08-05 22:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

that's awesome. Does it already do that for parries/counters? If not, that'd be awesome too.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-08-05 22:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Razziel said: »
that's awesome. Does it already do that for parries/counters? If not, that'd be awesome too.
It does not work for counters. We did investigate that, but the flag on the packet just isn't there for counters. Parries don't seem to work(for WS) either.

It does also have a flag for guard, and I believe Kenshi added that was well.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-08-06 00:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gotenn said: »
It should be included in an auto update for battlemod, eventually. I know that a pull request was already submitted. I think that goes to the dev version first, and then has to be pushed live. But honestly I'm not too clear on the exact details of the process.
I just merged Dev into Live.
[+]
 Sylph.Ticktick
Server: Sylph
user: mofat
By Sylph.Ticktick 2020-08-06 00:12:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Razziel said: »
It does not work for counters. We did investigate that, but the flag on the packet just isn't there for counters. Parries don't seem to work(for WS) either.

It does also have a flag for guard, and I believe Kenshi added that was well.

you can only counter auto attacks. what about guard?
First Page 2 3 ... 92 93 94 ... 136 137 138