Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 111 112 113 ... 137 138 139
By Slowforever 2021-07-02 13:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

This Aeonic shield looks to be great for many things including for a WS set with savage blade. Based on the content available it would seem pld can go with a more glass cannon setup for a lot of the games content. Do people build their pld with Ws sets? In the ambuscade I do and Odyessey I never see the pld engage. This makes me a bit hesistant in wnating to pick up the job seeing it could be boring or less engaging over my current jobs of Brd and Drg.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-07-02 13:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Slowforever said: »
This Aeonic shield looks to be great for many things including for a WS set with savage blade.
If you want a shield for damage dealing look into Blurred shield +1. It's way better for damage than Aeonic.
[+]
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-02 14:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Slowforever said: »
This Aeonic shield looks to be great for many things including for a WS set with savage blade. Based on the content available it would seem pld can go with a more glass cannon setup for a lot of the games content. Do people build their pld with Ws sets? In the ambuscade I do and Odyessey I never see the pld engage. This makes me a bit hesistant in wnating to pick up the job seeing it could be boring or less engaging over my current jobs of Brd and Drg.

This can vary, I always engage on my PLD unless there's a specific instance where we don't want to feed TP. In terms of dealing DMG, I've done ambuscade and even some Odyssey farming with a Caladbolg equipped on my PLD. Really it's all about knowing what you're dealing with and when it's safe/not safe to be swapping into DD sets.
By Ruaumoko 2021-07-02 18:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm personally fond of the Srivatsa, especially if I'm tanking Sheol C Segment farms. You cannot always be assured everything is going to be in front of you so you can block and if everything can be slept.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2021-07-07 02:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished my Burtgang tonight, anyone have any advice for trials?
 Asura.Wotasu
Server: Asura
user: Wotasu
By Asura.Wotasu 2021-07-07 03:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Avengers said: »
Use a wsdmg valorous/Odyssean (or Nyame) set, dmg won't be stellar. But can killshot around 18% instead of 12%.
Go /nin, offhand mercurial kris or kraken if you have access to one.
Use atonement once or twice per mob to cap Enm dmg for killshot.
Having a friendly Cor for Sam/Tact helps a lot.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
Server: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2021-07-07 12:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

WSD set and wait til 10% on kill shot trials. DA is your friend. If you have anyone that is willing to help with PLD, Atonement kills from others count. There is no real way to speed it up save for many PLDs killing things with atonement. be patient, the hard part is already done and that sword is usable even at Lv75 so dont feel like you have to rush to iLV119 AG R15. Congrats.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-07-07 13:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

People are saying to stack DA but I'd honestly recommend against it. The last thing you want is to multihit the thing dead from 20% before you can get Atonement off.

Pull an entire group at a time, stick your back to a wall, Banishga everything, Sentinel and Rampart for hate on all of it, and then just Atonement. With a good WSD setup you can cap out around 1700 damage, figure out what HP threshold that kills from and then subtract like 5% to account for enmity decay.
By Seraphpdh 2021-07-07 13:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
People are saying to stack DA but I'd honestly recommend against it. The last thing you want is to multihit the thing dead from 20% before you can get Atonement off.

Pull an entire group at a time, stick your back to a wall, Banishga everything, Sentinel and Rampart for hate on all of it, and then just Atonement. With a good WSD setup you can cap out around 1700 damage, figure out what HP threshold that kills from and then subtract like 5% to account for enmity decay.
Remember that until the Burtgang is 119 the base damage on Atonement gets capped at 990. You can push it higher with +WSD gear, but more like 1200 while doing trials.

Edit: Doing some quick napkin math, based on some of the very best WSD set PLD can equip not counting the Main weapon slot, you can get roughly +30% with perfect gear.

990 * 1.3 = 1287.0

So, in theory you could push upwards of 1300 during the killshot trials phase, but 1100-1200 is much more realistic. I found making sure you were 'capped' on enmity before the killshot was much more important than having ideal WSD gear. I think I only had something like +15% myself when doing these trials.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2021-07-07 15:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

a few drinks
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2021-07-07 15:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I appreciate it.

Edit: Does the Fotia neck and belt affect damage for this at all?

With the way I'm thinking, I think Fortia just affects the amount of enmity gained from the WS, correct?
By Seraphpdh 2021-07-07 15:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

With the way I'm thinking, I think Fortia just affects the amount of enmity gained from the WS, correct?
That is my understanding, it adds +0.1 ftp for calculating enmity generation. Great for tanking, not for killing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2021-07-07 16:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Paladin have any easy access WSD piece without augments? I do have the 2 WSD earrings. I have been debating on which +1 ring to ultimately get from adoluin, starting to window if perhaps I should grab the WSD ring.

Was leaning towards the regen, refresh, sub +2 ring as a nice universal idle ring.
By Seraphpdh 2021-07-07 16:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Paladin have any easy access WSD piece without augments?

There is the Blurred Shield NQ/HQ, two rings, two earrings, and the Ambuscade Feet NQ/+1/+2 that have native WSD on them without augmenting. I believe there is also Odyssean Gauntlets?
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-07 17:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraphpdh said: »
Ragnarok.Lowen said: »

Remember that until the Burtgang is 119 the base damage on Atonement gets capped at 990. You can push it higher with +WSD gear, but more like 1200 while doing trials.

Edit: Doing some quick napkin math, based on some of the very best WSD set PLD can equip not counting the Main weapon slot, you can get roughly +30% with perfect gear.

990 * 1.3 = 1287.0

So, in theory you could push upwards of 1300 during the killshot trials phase, but 1100-1200 is much more realistic. I found making sure you were 'capped' on enmity before the killshot was much more important than having ideal WSD gear. I think I only had something like +15% myself when doing these trials.
You can get a lot more than 30% WSDMG on PLD if you put in the effort and gil (or have stuff from other jobs). Rings gives 7-9% (depending on if you have Karieyh +1 or chose a different ring), Earrings for 5%, 4/5 Odyssean & Sulevia +2 for 29% (or 5/5 R20 Nyame for 43% if you're very well established), shield gives 7%, and back gives 10%. That's 60% without Nyame, 74% with, for up to 1722 (or 1842 if you come /DRG).

It's not needed at all to have everything, but you can get twice as much as what you quoted as "perfect" gear even without any Nyame.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-07-07 17:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I appreciate it.

Edit: Does the Fotia neck and belt affect damage for this at all?

Correct, Fotia is only increases the enmity you get from Atonement.
By Seraphpdh 2021-07-07 17:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »

It's not needed at all to have everything, but you can get twice as much as what you quoted as "perfect" gear even without any Nyame.

I assumed non-augmented items, and didn't include subs. I should have specified. Effectively if you don't already have the gear, it's quicker to just do the trials than trying to get better WSD gear. My recommendation was to cobble together what you can, and just go bang them out.

...or get any other Burtgang PLDs you know to come help you out. Any kills they make in your party with Atonement and Burtgang on also count towards your total. :)
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-07-07 18:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »

I assumed non-augmented items, and didn't include subs. I should have specified. Effectively if you don't already have the gear, it's quicker to just do the trials than trying to get better WSD gear. My recommendation was to cobble together what you can, and just go bang them out.

...or get any other Burtgang PLDs you know to come help you out. Any kills they make in your party with Atonement and Burtgang on also count towards your total. :)
The assisting PLDs don't have to have Burtgang. I did my original Ryunohige trials with a small army of excited DRGs(there were basically no other mythic polearms on the server at the time, and Ryu was exciting after the, at the time, recent upgrades to AM3.)

The only requirement here is that it is a killshot trial, and that the correct WS is used. Well, and that your're in exp range of each other. So you could bring a ton of PLDs burt or not, and have them all atonement killing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2021-07-07 19:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I asked one one Pld in my one linkshell and his response was "Lol, not a chance". So seems like it's a right of passage lol. So far I'm just a few kills away from finishing the first kill set, the 200 kills on dragons.
[+]
 Bahamut.Lexouritis
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lexouritis 2021-07-07 20:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah I've done this 3 or 4 times for PLDs these trials.. i magically d/c when someone asks for atonement trial help nowadays lol.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2021-07-07 22:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It really is a rite of passage. When you're done you'll feel so satisfied, too.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2021-07-08 06:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly, the worst part about this is the fact I can't use brews lol. Most other trials, I'll speed up somewhat with using Brews and just pound through like 30-40 mobs in a few minutes (I got like over a 100 million cruor, and it's worthless now, so why not use). But sadly, atonement is immune. About half way through the 2nd kill trial.
By SimonSes 2021-07-08 07:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly, the worst part about this is the fact I can't use brews lol. Most other trials, I'll speed up somewhat with using Brews and just pound through like 30-40 mobs in a few minutes (I got like over a 100 million cruor, and it's worthless now, so why not use). But sadly, atonement is immune. About half way through the 2nd kill trial.

Once again (I lost count how many times I wrote this instruction), Atonement trial is one of the easiest trials ever.

What you want to do? Kill mobs with Atonement as fast as possible.
Whats the fastest way to get tp on PLD? Supertanking tons of mobs and shield block them.
How to reduce HP on group of mobs the fastest way? Aoe
How to do low damage controlled AoE? BLM ga spells

Full answer. Pull 20+ mobs on PLD/BLM (close to the wall so they all line up in front of you) using 100% block build. Cast 1-2 -ga to reduce their hp to 5%. Either use gearswap so you can WS without engaging or engage some mob that is further away. Spam Atonement like crazy getting like 1000TP in 3 sec. Done. I think the only easier trial is anything on THF if you have Gandring path C. Other than that Burtgang is probably the easiest.
[+]
 Asura.Woulfwood
By Asura.Woulfwood 2021-07-09 00:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

After trying a few different copies of PLD across websites and Discord, this seems to be the best. I just tested it and it seems to work well. But if any of you think otherwise, can you please share your copy with me? I'd appreciate it!

https://github.com/Kinematics/GearSwap-Jobs/blob/master/PLD.lua
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-07-09 08:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Woulfwood said: »
After trying a few different copies of PLD across websites and Discord, this seems to be the best. I just tested it and it seems to work well. But if any of you think otherwise, can you please share your copy with me? I'd appreciate it!

https://github.com/Kinematics/GearSwap-Jobs/blob/master/PLD.lua

I don't really play pld and can not really offer any meaningful content other than the fact that that PLD.lua was last updated in 2014. It is likely missing quite a few features such as majesty and other things that PLDs have access to in 2021.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2021-07-09 11:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I mean, unless you're planning on automating buff maintenance, then there's really no interaction between Majesty and gearswap.

It doesn't change how you gear anything, and the buff doesn't ever need to be canceled or anything. I don't see that adding Majesty to the game would require any change to a PLD lua at all.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-07-09 12:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a very fair point.
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2021-07-09 12:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The only benefit into gearswap would be to make it attempt to put majesty up if you attempt to cast protect or cure without it up?, similar to how most BRD luas have auto pianissimo if you target anyone but yourself with a song.
 Quetzalcoatl.Avengers
By Quetzalcoatl.Avengers 2021-07-10 20:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

as far as i'm aware, the pld lua for Selindrile's is that it auto keeps Majest up on cooldown.
First Page 2 3 ... 111 112 113 ... 137 138 139