SMN Kiting......and You!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » SMN kiting......and you!
SMN kiting......and you!
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-18 09:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I have been asked many times about how to SMN kite, so, I desided to post this guide for ya.

If you already know, then don't worry about this. This guide is for those who don't know yet, and would like to know :D

Ok, so, you have a free carby, and are itching to blow up bombs? Here ya go.

First, sic Carby at the mob, then run away.

Wait until you can't see Carby's HP bar anymore.

Find a spot to summon safely, then, when Carby's name goes away, summon him quickly.

Carby will auto-attack the mob, so you don't have to do anything else but run away again.

Keep kiting until the mob dies (usually this is for blow up mobs, like bombs or snolls)

Instant exp with little effort. (not always though)

This skill helps with missions that you have to kite mobs while the party kills another mob.

Just remember, you have to be very far away (you don't even see the mob anymore) and summon fast for this to work, but when it does, you NEVER get any hate. Thats the beauty of it all :D

Just make sure you are able to summon in a safe spot. Summoning around magic or sight aggro mobs = dead you.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-08-18 09:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I appreciate your advice you've given on CoP 2-5. Thanks for this thread as well.
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-08-18 09:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Should mention you shouldnt ever cast anything else when near a bomb...cures, stoneskin nothin..dont do it unless you're totally out of range.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-18 09:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Already said that, last line
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-18 09:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Just remember, you have to be very far away (you don't even see the mob anymore) and summon fast for this to work, but when it does, you NEVER get any hate. Thats the beauty of it all :D

So I'm just starting to level SMN and wondering about this. I know on BST as soon as I have my pet fight that puts me on the hate list. Minimal hate mind you but I'm on the list. Doesn't having a SMN assault a mob put you on the hate list as well?
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-18 10:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of hate you get for an assault is so minimal that 1 attack or 2 misses will give your avatar hate.

Also... Hate range is 35'. Meaning you need to be farther than 35' away from the mob when you finish casting to receive 0 hate from the cast. Depending on the speed of the mob, you may need to go farther than 50' (the distance at which you lose the sight of targets). I often go to about 60' or 70' before I stop and wait to resummon.
 Gilgamesh.Khaty
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nathoo
By Gilgamesh.Khaty 2009-08-18 10:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well im smn 67 i always do that lol, and well yeah first time i did it i got killed cos i was near the mob =P hehe
 Gilgamesh.Khaty
user: Nathoo
By Gilgamesh.Khaty 2009-08-18 10:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

well that went wrong with meh... =P hehe
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-18 10:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
The amount of hate you get for an assault is so minimal that 1 attack or 2 misses will give your avatar hate.

That's what I wanted to know. If assaulting your summon onto a mob was 100% hate free there'd be some things to think about =)
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-18 10:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Any action you do will generate hate. I believe Assault is like most JA and gives the minimum of 1 CE / 1 VE. BP Rage/Ward also gives you a small amount of hate. Which is something to consider when doing Smn Kiting. The more 'small' actions you do that give 1 CE, the harder it is for your avatar to continue holding hate after repeated casts.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2009-08-18 10:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hate range is 30' not 35'. Can test this by using assault and curing yourself @30.1. Anything outside of 30' will not generate any hate whatsoever. This is important to realize when resummoning carby. You will get more and more hate every time you resummon if the mob is within 30' when you complete your casting. This is why you need to be far away when resummoning or eventually you'll generate so much hate just from summoning that the bomb will continue to chase you.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-18 10:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Helel said:
Hate range is 30' not 35'.

Actually, its 25', not 30'. Depending on the size of the mob it can be 24.7 to 26. Generally, 25.5+ you'll never get hate from actions. However most JAs require you to be within 17'.
 Fairy.Mykoto
user: Mykoto
By Fairy.Mykoto 2009-08-18 10:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Useful during campaign, if you catch aggro from a mob while everyone else is busy with another >.<
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-18 13:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Helel said:
Hate range is 30' not 35'. Can test this by using assault and curing yourself @30.1. Anything outside of 30' will not generate any hate whatsoever. This is important to realize when resummoning carby. You will get more and more hate every time you resummon if the mob is within 30' when you complete your casting. This is why you need to be far away when resummoning or eventually you'll generate so much hate just from summoning that the bomb will continue to chase you.
Which is what I said above. Even if I 'did' say the wrong distance. :P
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-18 13:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

you will only have enough hate for the mob to chase after you and for Carby to auto-attack it.
 Hades.Darkrift
Server: Hades
user: darkrift
By Hades.Darkrift 2009-08-18 15:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

For the BEST smn advice please visit..

www.killingifrit.com

and navigate to the smn forum. We have tons of smn advice on kiting and other things there. Check the stickies.

The forums are offline atm so .. i guess wait >.>
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-08-18 16:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to magic-aggro pull in Ule.Range when I solo'd
o.O
just need to be mindful of what's around. i did it mostly just inside the zone. further in it's too dangerous with elementals and stuff.
i've seen people assault, then carby can't hit the mob, and proceeds to beat the hell out of them. always have RR. stuff can go wrong if carby can't hit the damn thing.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-18 16:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

That's actually really smart. That would truly be hate-free if you can aggro like that.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-18 16:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

O.oa You get hate from aggro too I believe... And the mob won't come for you until Carby's dead whether he hits it or not on the Assault to start the fight.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-08-18 16:29:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It was like 3 years ago, but it worked like a gem. Just buff, scout, start casting something and run the hell away mid-spell. At max range Carby would intercept the mob easily and even if he misses he will have the mob firmly on him.
I don't recall ever having a problem with depopping mobs, but a lot of things have changed with how mobs behave. Not sure if it still works or not.

Ninja edit; the main reason I started do this was because of the tigers. You can keep Invis on and still pull with this method without fear of getting eaten by a tiger you didn't see.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-18 16:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose. But, aggro range from magic is 20' and BP/Assault commands are ~17' as far as I remember. Would give you an extra step on them though.
 Alexander.Zayo
Server: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-08-18 16:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:

Carby will auto-attack the mob, so you don't have to do anything else but run away again.

Just wanted to make sure any new SMN's read the above line properly: Don't assault the mob at all from here on out! Summon Carby and just wait, if you get hit, just wait. Running makes it harder for Carby to get hits in and pull the thin hate from you to him.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-08-18 18:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Tallulah said:
It was like 3 years ago, but it worked like a gem. Just buff, scout, start casting something and run the hell away mid-spell. At max range Carby would intercept the mob easily and even if he misses he will have the mob firmly on him.
I don't recall ever having a problem with depopping mobs, but a lot of things have changed with how mobs behave. Not sure if it still works or not.

Ninja edit; the main reason I started do this was because of the tigers. You can keep Invis on and still pull with this method without fear of getting eaten by a tiger you didn't see.

They nerfed it, when you get aggro, it gives you almost as much hate as a pull.

So, if you aggro a mob, and have carby assault it, it still gives you hate if Carby misses or doesn't do enough damage at first.