Is Cooking Dead?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Cooking » Is cooking dead?
Is cooking dead?
 Asura.Tarquine
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Tarquine 2014-10-09 09:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Greetings,

I've returned from a 1yr absence, and I am slowly catching up with things, enjoying it so far.

Question: Is cooking dead?

I have Fishing in the 80+ region and cooking @ 97, and used to cook for my own utility, but also sushi was a nice earner as well as a few other things. However, browsing through the site and looking at frequency of food sold, it appears that people just don't buy (and by virtue of that, use) food much anymore?

Alchemy is sitting @ 50 ish and i'm considering bringing that up (or maybe even GS or Smithing) instead and letting cooking come down to the 60/70 region.

Any thoughts?
 Lakshmi.Kingofbastok
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Kingofbastok 2014-10-09 11:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

While I personally don't use my cooking mule much (too lazy to actually switch guys lol), there are some items that should sell pretty regularly like rcbs, sushi, Salsibury Steaks, Magma Steaks, Rockfin Soup, and Hydra Kofte (the big dd foods). Other foods that should sell pretty well are Kitron Macarons and Coconut Rusk for crafting, the new pet stat foods (not sure of the names), Cream Puffs, and maybe even Pear Crepes for some macc. There's probably some other foods that sell well, but those should be the most common foods.

Also as for people using food, most of the end game events pretty much require using food (at least for dd's), so it should always be in demand. Cooking may not be as profitable as it used to be, but it should still be helpful in allowing you to make some profit or at the very least, to help you save some money by making your own food.

Another thing to mention is that Mog Garden can be helpful for cooking as well, especially when it gets lvled up and if you have a few mules you can do it on. You can get some ingredients from the Furrows (depending on what you plant) and from the Tree/plants, as well as some fish used for the more common sushis (Gugru Tuna, Black Sole, Bastore Bream, and Gigant Squid) from the fishing net.

If you decide to keep cooking as your main craft, I would suggest stocking up on cerberus meat right now if you can afford it. With the Kindred Crest and HKC battles event going on atm, it's a pretty common drop, so you should be able to get it cheaper than usual and you can use the meat to get to 110 cooking eventually.
[+]