Gear Discussion ? For Mnks
First Page 2 3 4
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Brucio
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-08-08 00:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always looked at the Usukane set as being the end-all be-all gear for your main armor slots.
I know that there are single pieces that are better for their respective slots (kitty pants, pandemonium warden body, ect.)

What do you guys think about going with full usukane as apposed to mix matching?
Regardless of how rare or hard to obtain an item is, I'm just talking strictly the best.

I think it really comes down to whether or not the 5% haste you get from the set is better than the differences of the other pieces. With a Black belt the set perfectly caps haste.

Just for discussion purposes.

BTW, I think the usukane pieces are just badass and are equally as awesome for ninja, so if I had my choice I'd take the usukane even if it wasn't the very best.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-08 00:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

From a very casual observation, full Usukane is probably better for MNK than for nin because of Black Belt capping your haste. Usukane is still great for nin, but since it doesn't give you as much haste as other options, it does pose the question of whether the other stats it offers are worth the slight drop in haste/dual wield.
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-08-08 00:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya for nin, I feel like the three DW pieces would be better. Although that affects your TP gain.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-08 01:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

For MNK I'd say full usu is about as ideal a set as you can get given full haste on its own is amazing, but also because you'd very likely have capped ACC on most things you'd encounter as well as strong stat and trait buffs. The only reason I can imagine anyone would mix and match would be because they could get more haste out of a set, and with MNK that would be invalidated.

Also, I guess just because it's MNK there's an awesome ad on this page that's like "WARNING DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TOTALLY KICK *** IF SOMEONE TRIES TO HURT YOU" ..lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-08-08 01:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just looking it over as a non-MNK, I agree with Blazza. Even if full Usu wasn't the best for MNK I'd probably TP in it anyway just for the sexiness+1. No idea about NIN though.
 Asura.Artemicion
Server: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-08 02:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as the time, effort and gil required to get full Usukane, unless you have the patience and gil to pull it off, I believe you'd be better off going with a combo of: Turban/Denali hat, shura togi, melee (+1) gloves, kitty pants and usukane boots since feet and legs tend to be the cheapest of the 5 types of requirements when it comes to salvage gear.
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-08-08 12:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm can someone explain to me how melee hands are better than attack gloves and noritsune kote?

You get a little more HP, subtle blow, and enhances chakra, but you lose att.
Most of those things aren't really helping a party except for subtle blow.
So am I missing something?
 Seraph.Greyfin
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-08-08 12:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

They are both considered to be attack hands, if you were to use the best ones they would be Bandy Kote. Personally i would say Mix/Match does about the same as Full Usukane.

I would use usukane feet and hands depending on the mob and if my acc is capped. If it was capped, i could switch in Bandy's , or if i have focus up use Bandy's too. If focus was down and acc is not capped, switch in Usukane hands.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-08-08 12:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
As far as the time, effort and gil required to get full Usukane, unless you have the patience and gil to pull it off, I believe you'd be better off going with a combo of: Turban/Denali hat, shura togi, melee (+1) gloves, kitty pants and usukane boots since feet and legs tend to be the cheapest of the 5 types of requirements when it comes to salvage gear.

When I do Bhaflau, I get nothing but..

User submitted image
[+]
 Siren.Corrin
Server: Siren
By Siren.Corrin 2009-08-08 12:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Like ppl have been saying, full Usukane is the best TP gear for monk. The set and black belt will cap haste and also give you a very high acc rating. And yea. . .it just looks so damn good. For ninja, yes you can get more haste and dual wield out of mix and matching, but even so, Usukane provides a great balance of melee stats. I'd use it if I had it.
 Cerberus.Demonknight
By Cerberus.Demonknight 2009-08-08 14:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm working myself on usukane set. I have feet atm.

I've been experimenting with one of the new bodies a bit having aug of double attack & crit hit rate. Plan to run a few more parses before i decide for sure.

I have found that osode > togi in just dot. I know people will come out of the wood work saying I'm stupid, but most of those people have not done the parses themselves to back up their claims. I have parsed over 700 exp mobs in both bodies and while osode is a narrow winner, it does come out ahead.

I personally TP in osode, band kotes, kitty pants, and usukane feet. Only real downside I see right now, is the +5 enmity on the feet. I do pull hate rather easy. Doesn't help I have 4 enmity merits.

I hope to have my full usukane relatively soon. I'm about 1/2 way done on the remaining pieces. Then back to parsing for some statistics to see where I lie. Even if they parse less, I will probably find myself using usu more just for it's sexy factor personally.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-08 14:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bshizzle said:
Hmm can someone explain to me how melee hands are better than attack gloves and noritsune kote?

Only reason I melee in Melee gloves over okote/bandos is because of the subtle blow mainly. Also the HP is a godsend and in essence can act as an extra cushion of life against nasty AOEs you're bound to face eventually.

But NIN & MNK are the only jobs that can really show any significant difference their natural and gear stacked subtle blow. Just for shits and giggles I tested my COR's MNK roll on EM scorps with a MNK friend, and they went from doing 4-5 TP moves per fight to 1-2. Subtle blow is nothing to sneeze at, but not worth sacrificing attack, acc, haste, dex or str, however Melee Gloves are awesome enough to not lose much compromise.

Edit: Of course I macro swap to O/bando kote for WS since multi-hit weapon skills are a TP feeding frenzy to the mob no matter what you do, so you may as well go for max dmg. Hell, you wanna go for max dmg on your WS regardless >.>
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-08-08 16:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk I don't feel like shura togi is really that amazing, just 20 more att.

Although that seemed like a ***ton when I first got my O kotes.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-08 16:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

There aren't many accuracy bodies for MNK that add extra goodies aside from Togi, Enkidu, and ACP body. Just go with whatever is cheapest/easiest for you to obtain. However, between the 3 I'd much prefer Enkidu as hideous as it looks.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-08 17:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Full usu is pretty much the best set for mnk.

As for melee gloves, unless you're specifically goin for some subtle blow build or something, are pretty much chakra only.

If your acc isn't capped, Nkote/Usu gloves should prove to be better than attack gloves while focus is down and swapping to kote when focus is up.

To whoever said osode > togi, 10 str should prove to beat 20 attack, BUT if your acc isn't capped, the 5 extra acc will make togi the winner.

As far as mnk bodies go,
Usu > Mirke Wardecors (10 acc 10 attack)> Togi+1 > Togi = Enkidu's Harness > Kirin's Osode.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-08 20:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto's pretty hardcore if it's the same guy I'm thinking and actually has all this gear, so I'd say his summary is pretty accurate and trustworthy.

Jiko said:
When I do Bhaflau, I get nothing but..

User submitted image
lolllllll
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-08-08 20:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
Full usu is pretty much the best set for mnk.

As for melee gloves, unless you're specifically goin for some subtle blow build or something, are pretty much chakra only.

If your acc isn't capped, Nkote/Usu gloves should prove to be better than attack gloves while focus is down and swapping to kote when focus is up.

To whoever said osode > togi, 10 str should prove to beat 20 attack, BUT if your acc isn't capped, the 5 extra acc will make togi the winner.

As far as mnk bodies go,
Usu > Mirke Wardecors (10 acc 10 attack)> Togi+1 > Togi = Enkidu's Harness > Kirin's Osode.

Ontop of this though, yes for tp 5/5 usukane is the winner but Vegetto and I have been discussing asuran fist build now the kupo head has been released (10acc 15wsacc 4str 5attk).

Reaching a decent level of acc now with this piece along with other key asuran fist acc pieces, togi+1 and togi will beat mirke and usu body for ws. Im sure Vegetto uses his asuran fist macro with togi+1 usu pants more now than one with usu body and haidate (nq) ;p. So when he says as far as monk bodies go he means well at least im sure he does mean tp'ing order only.
 Lakshmi.Bshizzle
By Lakshmi.Bshizzle 2009-08-09 12:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I have another question. My mnk is currently 67. My gear is as a follows:

Weapon: T.M. Hooks +1
Ammo: Bibiki seashell
Head: Raven Baret
Neck: Spectacles
Ear1: Minuet earring
Ear2: Coral earring
Body: SH
Hands: Okote
Ring1: Sniper's ring
Ring2: Ecphoria ring
Back: Amemet Mantle +1
Waist: Brown Belt
Legs: Aikido Koshita
Feet: Sarutobi Kyahan

Mnk is my first job to 75.
I know I have some gimp slots, but I've been doing campaign for the Cobra legs/head and probably the body as well.

My dilemma is that it's taking forever to get to the rank required to get the cobra pieces, but I don't want to wait for them to level.

So should I keep XPing or should I wait till I have my cobra pieces before going beyong level 68?
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-09 12:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well u get Exp from campagin lol, and DD dont exactly get a huge amount of Pts so yea >.> but dont stop lfp cuz cuz 5 days for rank is alot
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-10 04:44:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bshizzle said:
I have another question. My mnk is currently 67. My gear is as a follows:

Weapon: T.M. Hooks +1
Ammo: Bibiki seashell
Head: Raven Baret
Neck: Spectacles
Ear1: Minuet earring
Ear2: Coral earring
Body: SH
Hands: Okote
Ring1: Sniper's ring
Ring2: Ecphoria ring
Back: Amemet Mantle +1
Waist: Brown Belt
Legs: Aikido Koshita
Feet: Sarutobi Kyahan

Mnk is my first job to 75.
I know I have some gimp slots, but I've been doing campaign for the Cobra legs/head and probably the body as well.

My dilemma is that it's taking forever to get to the rank required to get the cobra pieces, but I don't want to wait for them to level.

So should I keep XPing or should I wait till I have my cobra pieces before going beyong level 68?

Cobra rly isn't anything to pause leveling over. Just get when u can.

Legs should serve well until you can do some endgame for alternatives. As for head piece, you don't need it. Turban will be your piece at 75 for TPing and for ws you can pick up an ohat
 Ragnarok.Titox
Server: Ragnarok
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2009-08-10 05:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bshizzle said:

well melee gloves give 16ATK but losing those 4ATK(if you have Ochimusha Kote or the non rare/ex version)or 10+ACC for enhance chakra,Subtle Blow and HP+ it always nice since you can replace the 10+ACC on Shura Togi or Enkidu or Usu or ACP body

i use Kirin Osode DoT at the moment because the best body gear for mnk are hard to obtain and Kirin Osode give AGI+10 always nice for guard activation rate

if i have to choose i will like my mnk to be in full Usu ;)

Hachiryu Haramaki for mnk it seems awesome with destroyers + critical hit rate cap :Q but i can be wrong on that
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-10 07:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

While Osode osode is fine if you don't have togi, usu, or ACP body (which you can get in a day), guard activation rate is not really ever going to be a factor.
A) Anything rly tough you're going to have a minimal guard rate w/o stacking nothing but guard gear, which is not recommended because in any situation where you are constantly getting hit, going for a Physical damage -% build is much better.

B) Anything that is weak enough to have a good guard activation rate, you can get a high evade rate. Evasion gear > guard gear

C) Hits have to go through utsu and counter before even having the chance to guard

D) If your guard isn't capped (which mine is so I'm speaking from experience on points A-C), you are going to have the minimal guard rate, regardless of how much agi you have.
 Cerberus.Demonknight
By Cerberus.Demonknight 2009-08-10 08:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto have you parsed togi vs osode for just DOT?

My parses have shown osode to perform better then Togi in most every way. A couple of other monks have come up with simular results.
 Ragnarok.Titox
Server: Ragnarok
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2009-08-10 10:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Vegetto said:
While Osode osode is fine if you don't have togi, usu, or ACP body (which you can get in a day), guard activation rate is not really ever going to be a factor.
A) Anything rly tough you're going to have a minimal guard rate w/o stacking nothing but guard gear, which is not recommended because in any situation where you are constantly getting hit, going for a Physical damage -% build is much better.

B) Anything that is weak enough to have a good guard activation rate, you can get a high evade rate. Evasion gear > guard gear

C) Hits have to go through utsu and counter before even having the chance to guard

D) If your guard isn't capped (which mine is so I'm speaking from experience on points A-C), you are going to have the minimal guard rate, regardless of how much agi you have.

well...the thing is...thats one of the reason i use Osode...since my guard skill is low and i use a lot mnk/dnc or mnk/thf on DC and below...;) i barely use it in any end game event..if i do is /nin...i guess the only other time i will use it in a future maybe will be Salvage ^^
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-10 10:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're able to cap accuracy I can see Osode being the best of the bunch for body pieces to wear, however, for sheer consistency especially against things really hard and evasive, I think you'd get the best results from ACP body or Enkidu.

However, I am rather interested in seeing a Togi Vs Osode parse in strictly DoT, as I've always relied on Togi for gaining and for Asuran Fists.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-08-10 10:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
However, I am rather interested in seeing a Togi Vs Osode parse in strictly DoT, as I've always relied on Togi for gaining and for Asuran Fists.

I've seen it before a long time ago on the wiki forums. No idea if it's still on there though.
 Asura.Artemicion
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-08-10 10:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, my fingers aren't finishing what I started. Meant to say gaining TP in there. Anyways, I just figured the accuracy would be a necessity especially in such a key slot as the body piece. Considering MNK gets no accuracy bonuses or traits from themselves or their subjobs (Assuming /WAR /NIN & /DRK). Relies strictly on gear and food, and alas, I eat meat food for atk & str.
 Seraph.Helixx
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-08-10 11:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Full Usu is best allround set and best TP set. With Black Belt you get
25% Haste,
36 acc,
13 store TP,
5 subtle blow,
16 STR,
17 attack.
22 eva.
13 DEX.

Not counting other gear like weapon rings earrings back and ranged.

Now if you get:
Walmart Turban, Shura togi +1, B.Kote, Byakko Hadiate, Fumas you look at:
25% haste,
11 ACC,
44 attack,
-10 evasion,
DEX + 15.

Well those whould be the top 2 sets i can imagine for MNK. Basically the difference is: if you have usu set:

25 acc
13 STP
5 Subtle Blow
16 STR
32 evasion
-2 DEX
-27 attack

And since for MNK: ACC > ATT as a rule of thumbs, the usu set wins skyhigh. Sorry for no complicated maths , don't kill me, but its easier to understand without the formulas^^
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-10 11:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

That's "mostly" right...

"Full Usu is best allround set and best TP set. With Black Belt you get
25% Haste,
36 acc,
13 store TP,
5 subtle blow,
16 STR,
17 attack.
22 eva.
13 DEX."

However... You can sac a couple haste and use an usu piece or two... Instead of going full one way or the other.

Usu head, Shura Togi +1, Bando Kote, Byakko's Haidate, Usu feet.

Str +3
Acc +25
Haste +22%
Atk +51
Dex +15
Store TP +7

So then, the difference if you use full Usu over the hybrid(when talking about DD'ing and leaving out the def/agi/eva/etc.) ends up being....

+3% Haste
+11 Accuracy
-2 Dex
+13 Str
+6 Store TP
+5 Subtle Blow
-34 Attack

Sure, Usu still wins in most cases with a hybrid... But, even w/o the full Usu, you can get a lot of its benefits by using a hybrid set.

And... You can even switch in Usukane/Hachiryu/Noritsune kote to get the extra +10 accuracy at the cost of 22 attack. Bringing the difference to 1 accuracy for +12 atk over Usu.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-10 17:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, let's look at Kirin's Osode for merit party.

10 STR is going to do one of two things, raise your fstr by 2 or raise your fstr by 3

fstr is DMG, simple as that.

If you have DMG+18 h2h, 1 fstr+ would be the equiv of wearing dmg+19 h2h.

Mnk w/ capped h2h merits has a base damage of 35. When you add 18 from destroyers you get 53.

For G colibri, they have 67 vit. When your STR is even to their your fstr is 1. Every 4 str after that, your fstr is increased by 1 more.

So for this, we'll assume fstr 4 to begin w/ (79 str, which isn't even hard for taru. Forager Rajas Kabob)

So w/ osode, you will either get 2 DMG or 3 DMG, depending on your initial str. (4 + 4 = 8 = 2fstr up. Third fstr will depend on your str vs mob's vit. So you may or may not get the third)

When you have 2 DMG, assuming fstr 4 to begin w/ (57 DMG)

2/57 = 3.51% increase in DoT

We'll assume 80% hitrate on a kabob build

Osode has 5 acc, 2.5% hitrate

2.5/80 = 3.125% increase in DoT and WS damage.

Now Mnk's DoT is split up to about 65-70% DoT and 30-35% WS dmg. We'll assume a 70/30 split in this case. The str on osode will ONLY affect DoT because you can wear diff bodies for tp and same body for ws. The acc though, will also increase WS dmg (indirectly) because you will land more hits, get more tp.

That being said
3.51 x .7 = 2.457% increaes from the STR and 3.125% increase from the acc

2.457 + 3.125 = 5.582% increase in total damage from wearing no body.

For when osode raises your damage by 3
3/57 = 5.26% increase in DoT
5.26 x .7 = 3.682% increase in damage
Adding in the acc 3.125 + 3.682 = 6.807% increase in total damage

At 80% hitrate, we can average out osode to be

Assuming you won't always know your target's exact vit(and can't calculate when you get 2 fstr and when u get 3), half the time you will get this bonus and half the time you won't.
At 80% hitrate, we can average out osode to be a (5.582 + 6.807)/2 = 6.1945% increase on average

Now, let's look at togi. 20 attack 10 acc. Attack differs a bit from base DMG as you actually need to know the mob's defense to calculate the exact increase (as well as their level)

Greater Colibri
# Level 82: Defense 327, Evasion 339, VIT 67, AGI 67

New Cratio/Old Cratio = % increase

Melee cRatio = Ratio - 0.050 x level difference

Let's assume you're at 500 attack (kabob and minuet IV)

(500/327)-(.05 x 7) = 1.529051988-.35= 1.17905

(520/327)-.35 = 1.24021

1.24021/1.17905 = 5.188% increase in damage

Keeping in mind that this only affects the melee portion, this will also bet cut down by the 70/30 split

5.188 x .7 = 3.6316% increase in damage

10 acc adds 5% hitrate, at 80% hitrate

5/80 = 6.25% increase in damage

6.25 + 3.6316% = 9.88% increae in Total damage

Now for level 81 birds, the amount gained from the 20 attack will be less
# Level 81: Defense 322, Evasion 334, VIT 67, AGI 67
500/322-(0.05 x 6) = 1.25280
520/322 - .3 = 1.31491

1.31491/1.25280 = 4.958 increase in damage

4.958 x .7 = 3.47% increase

3.47 + 6.25 = 9.72% increase

Assuming half of the birds are lv 82 and half are lv 81

(9.72% + 9.88%)/2 = 9.80% average increase

Assuming birds, 4 fstr to begin w/, 80% hitrate, and 500 attack base,

Osode: 6.1945% increase on average
Togi: 9.80% average increase

Assuming acc is capped, we look at the average increase from 2 and 3 fstr and the average increase from attack in lv 81 vs 82 birds

Togi: (3.6316 + 3.47)/2 = 3.5508
Osode: (2.457 + 3.682)/2 = 3.0695

The more attack you have to begin w/ the less of a gain you get from it. So if you are at capped acc and have dual brds, then osode will probably be the winner. if you have brd/cor, double march and 1 chaos roll, attack should be the same as min IV give or take a few, won't be a huge diff.

Also, if you are 100% sure of your fstr being up by 3 100% of the time (know the mob's exact vit and gear to where you get +3 from osode), then it would win in capped acc as it would not have to be averaged in w/ the 2 DMG situation.
First Page 2 3 4