Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 877 878 879 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-08-28 10:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When you guys solve racism can you present it to me in form of Powerpoint. I'd love to see it !
By Bloodrose 2015-08-28 11:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Pie charts.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 11:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Yup, but whatcha gonna do?

Be ever aware of my own biases and take every opportunity to visualize scenarios from a perspective other than my own. Outside of myself, there isn't much you can do. Most people just aren't willing to step outside themselves and try to see things from a different perspective.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Long as there isn't a lot of words I don't read too well !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 11:01:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
I'm aware of my racial biases and I actively try to keep them in check.
Why not try to get rid of said biases?

It's really not that difficult. I managed to do it, it's called "not caring anymore."

Yeah, no, we're not talking about the rate crimes are committed, some groups are more likely to commit certain crimes. We're talking about the difference in how they are policed and prosecuted when they are committed at the same rate, like recreational drug use.
Can you give an example with a source please? I'm interested in this, not trying to argue about it.

What bias do you think I'm referring to? I'm talking about things like short-term lenders, which are far more prolific in black neighborhoods than white ones.
Those businesses are geared towards poorer people who need to get those loans.

It is not racial-profiling, it is where their customers live at. Those businesses do not target only people of a specific race...
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-28 11:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Josiahkf said: »
The problem isn't racists, it's an institutionalized bias towards minoritys which puts them at a disadvantage that people deny exists.
There are no biases, institutionalized or not, towards minorities in today's world where we reward people based on the color of their skin.

Case in Point: Obama.
Case in fricking point Katrina reporting dept.

Pic of a black dude wading through waist deep water with a box on his shoulder reported as a looter.

Pic of a white dude wading through waist deep water towing a bulging plastic bag behind him reported as foraging.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-08-28 11:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pie charts with ice cream graphs.

The low point in the graph is when the ice cream melts.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend to be biased towards white bread and not the darker brown bread does that make me racist ?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 11:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
The problem isn't racists, it's an institutionalized bias towards minoritys which puts them at a disadvantage that people deny exists.
There are no biases, institutionalized or not, towards minorities in today's world where we reward people based on the color of their skin.

Pic of a black dude wading through waist deep water with a box on his shoulder reported as a looter.

Pic of a white dude wading through waist deep water towing a bulging plastic bag behind him reported as foraging.
Source or GTFO.
By Ramyrez 2015-08-28 11:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The only way to end racism is to stop being white !

We're getting there. Give it 3-4 more generations.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »

You're living in the past man that racism happened 10 years ago !
By Ramyrez 2015-08-28 11:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend to be biased towards white bread and not the darker brown bread does that make me racist ?

No but it may give you beriberi if you switch to an all-rice diet and maintain your light-grain bias.

Gotta get that thiamin, yo!
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know that God is racist why else would he send a hurricane to the poorest black parts of Alabama and Louisiana !
By Bloodrose 2015-08-28 11:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It makes you a loafist!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 11:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know that God is racist why else would he send a hurricane to the poorest black parts of Alabama and Louisiana !
Please, we all know the Bush Administration's weather machine was what caused Katrina.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-28 11:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Source or GTFO.
I am not going to look for 10 year old photos nor the story that pointed those two out to me. Sorry.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-28 11:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Source or GTFO.

I do recall the image(s) to which she's referring.

Edit: In fairness, not the same tag line writer on the two photos, so there's some wiggle room in there about whether it's racism or just the way one person worded it over another. But incidental or not, there it is. As someone who has written such things for the AP, however, I can tell you in writing taglines for such photos during a disaster such as that where everyone is struggling, I would think twice before saying an individual child wading in waste-deep water is "looting."
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 11:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm aware of my racial biases and I actively try to keep them in check.
Why not try to get rid of said biases?

It's really not that difficult. I managed to do it, it's called "not caring anymore."

Yeah, no, we're not talking about the rate crimes are committed, some groups are more likely to commit certain crimes. We're talking about the difference in how they are policed and prosecuted when they are committed at the same rate, like recreational drug use.
Can you give an example with a source please? I'm interested in this, not trying to argue about it.

What bias do you think I'm referring to? I'm talking about things like short-term lenders, which are far more prolific in black neighborhoods than white ones.
Those businesses are geared towards poorer people who need to get those loans.

It is not racial-profiling, it is where their customers live at. Those businesses do not target only people of a specific race...

You can't get rid of biases, they're a product of your life experience. You can be aware of them and keep them in check.

NY Time article

Poor people with poor financial skills are their target customers. That's who they are targeting. There are just far more of them in poor black neighborhoods and far fewer traditional banks. They also advertise more heavily on Spanish language TV and hip-hop radio for example.
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm so biased that I don't even realize that I'm biased !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 11:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Source or GTFO.

I do recall the image(s) to which she's referring.

So, two different articles by two different news sources proves what again?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 11:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

That biases exist.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way to be unbiased is to stop existing damn it !

I'm sure the non existence people would like that !
By Ramyrez 2015-08-28 11:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

See my edit.

Also, all I'm saying is I recall what she's talking about.

Edit: both of you, for that matter!
By Ramyrez 2015-08-28 11:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way to be unbiased is to stop existing damn it !

I'm sure the non existence people would like that !

Be bias all day. You're right, you can't help your initial reaction to a circumstance because of your upbringing and life experiences.

Just be aware of it and try not to do anyone else wrong because of it.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-08-28 11:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You must be bored then :P

Is there any other reason to be posting here?
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Is there any other reason to be posting here?

You might earn a no life badge !
By fonewear 2015-08-28 11:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyways there is important politcal news today Donald Trump's hair is real !

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-proves-his-hair-is-real/

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 11:18:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't get rid of biases, they're a product of your life experience. You can be aware of them and keep them in check.
So, basically you are calling me a racist even though I made no racial remarks or comments. Or even hinted at anything racial towards anyone. Or even have any evidence that I have racial tendencies towards any specific group of people.

But I'm racist because you think that people cannot get rid of racial biases. Because you didn't try.

Got it.

Poor people with poor financial skills are their target customers. That's who they are targeting. There are just far more of them in poor black neighborhoods and far fewer traditional banks. They also advertise more heavily on Spanish language TV and hip-hop radio for example.
Again, those businesses do not target specific people based on the color of their skin, which is what you accused them of doing.

Racism isn't just the words that are used, it's the disparities in our legal system, the way body language is interpreted, even financial institutions.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 11:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup, but whatcha gonna do?

Be ever aware of my own biases and take every opportunity to visualize scenarios from a perspective other than my own. Outside of myself, there isn't much you can do.

My free time comes in spurts, but I do a lot of community service work, and I see this stuff first hand.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 877 878 879 ... 1375 1376 1377