Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1118 1119 1120 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 13:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
To possibly force them into it? I don't agree with that. That's what the selective service is all about.

The Israelis do mandatory conscription for all adults at 18.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 13:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
To possibly force them into it? I don't agree with that. That's what the selective service is all about.

The Israelis do mandatory conscription for all adults at 18.
Which is shitty still.

Forced conscription (really conscription or just registration to the draft? There is a major difference between the two) is possibly the worst idea on the face of the planet.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 13:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think like 50% of the population actually ends up serving, but you do have to provide valid reasons. Two years serving for everyone, iirc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-03 13:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
While there will be no direct exceptions, I suspect there will still be some positions that will be exceedingly difficult for women to obtain due to basic body structure.

I remember maybe about a year ago the Army was testing women who volunteered for special forces duty, and while the women themselves were strong and holding up from a psychological and strength/conditioning perspective, a large percentage quit (or, specifically, were removed from the program because) their bodies literally weren't handling the required gear they carried and the like and many were getting stress fractures from the amount of equipment they had to carry/etc. They were able to carry it. But it was injuring them.

I'm sure some of it could be remedied with adjusted weight distributions and the like, but I wonder how they'd address that.

Women heal certain injuries in a different way then men, the severity can also different for the same injury (less severe or more so). Pain is also handled differently.

But as you said adjustments can be made. To how the weight is carried, not less weight or less distance run.

All special forces camps are insanely difficult in mental, physical, and emotional aspects. It is designed specifically to weed out the majority in order to get the best attributes the branch is looking for.

Not many women will qualify. Not many men qualify. Being allowed the chance to actually compete for it is excellent.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-03 13:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
I'm pretty sure that women wouldn't be in the selective service (or draft if that ever get's reinstated) because of their value to society is much greater than men's are.

Men are cheap and disposable. Women, not so much.
There is no reason in this day an age to not have women included.

If we all of a sudden have a severe population decrease or serious infertility problems maybe that would need to be reevaluated.
There isn't any reason for women to not have the choice to volunteer to this type of shitty work. If a lady wants to submit themselves to the type of physical, emotional, and sometimes socially draining torture, then by all means, let them join up.

If the US has to institute the draft there is a serious problem.

There is no reason not to have every age appropriate man and woman register for the potential draft.

If we have to force some of our citizens to go to war and die for us that consequence should be evenly distributed across the population regardless of gender.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure that women wouldn't be in the selective service (or draft if that ever get's reinstated) because of their value to society is much greater than men's are.

Men are cheap and disposable. Women, not so much.
There is no reason in this day an age to not have women included.

If we all of a sudden have a severe population decrease or serious infertility problems maybe that would need to be reevaluated.
There isn't any reason for women to not have the choice to volunteer to this type of shitty work. If a lady wants to submit themselves to the type of physical, emotional, and sometimes socially draining torture, then by all means, let them join up.

If the US has to institute the draft there is a serious problem.

There is no reason not to have every age appropriate man and woman register for the potential draft.

If we have to force some of our citizens to go to war and die for us that consequence should be evenly distributed across the population regardless of gender.
I don't get it. Sure, if the registration is only a registration and the draft never get's reinstated, then it's ok for "fairness" sake, but if the draft get's reinstated, too bad so sad for the women who get drafted, and it's perfectly acceptable to you?

Remember, if the draft does get reinstated, there has to be something catastrophic where we want to preserve the population in some way....
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 14:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember, if the draft does get reinstated, there has to be something catastrophic where we want to preserve the population in some way....

that's not accurate.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 14:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They found 12 "primordial bombs"(not sure if to translate that differently)at the house of the shooters.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

that's not accurate.
We (the US) have well enough volunteers to fight pretty much anything man-made. We don't even need to worry about instituting the draft as long as the volunteer rate stays constant, and all indications show that it will, if not increase.

If we get to a war where all the volunteers AND the reserves are killed, and we have to start forcing people to go to war for the country, then we would be having a problem with population sustainability (meaning most of our cities are already destroyed, and a greater number of the population is gone. Remember, when a war seems just, volunteer rates skyrocket).

You have to look at the whole picture instead of a small photograph....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
They found 12 "primordial bombs"(not sure if to translate that differently)at the house of the shooters.
And a baby.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 14:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, while this is purely speculation on my part, I do not think the baby was explosive.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-12-03 14:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Primordial bombs? They still had gills?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-03 14:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get it. Sure, if the registration is only a registration and the draft never get's reinstated, then it's ok for "fairness" sake, but if the draft get's reinstated, too bad so sad for the women who get drafted, and it's perfectly acceptable to you?

It has to do with the rights and obligations of being full citizens.

The last time the draft was instituted had nothing to do with a population decrease.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-03 14:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

News here says pipe bombs
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 14:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

"primordial bombs"(not sure if to translate that differently)

'primitive' is probably what you should have used.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 14:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

While there will be no direct exceptions, I suspect there will still be some positions that will be exceedingly difficult for women to obtain due to basic body structure.

I remember maybe about a year ago the Army was testing women who volunteered for special forces duty, and while the women themselves were strong and holding up from a psychological and strength/conditioning perspective, a large percentage quit (or, specifically, were removed from the program because) their bodies literally weren't handling the required gear they carried and the like and many were getting stress fractures from the amount of equipment they had to carry/etc. They were able to carry it. But it was injuring them.

I'm sure some of it could be remedied with adjusted weight distributions and the like, but I wonder how they'd address that.

Women heal certain injuries in a different way then men, the severity can also different for the same injury (less severe or more so). Pain is also handled differently.

But as you said adjustments can be made. To how the weight is carried, not less weight or less distance run.

All special forces camps are insanely difficult in mental, physical, and emotional aspects. It is designed specifically to weed out the majority in order to get the best attributes the branch is looking for.

Not many women will qualify. Not many men qualify. Being allowed the chance to actually compete for it is excellent.

Yeah, hey, I'm just telling you the story I heard. It was pretty in-depth, iirc it was on NPR and there's no way I'm reporting everything from the story here, I'm just saying I'm interested to see how it goes as well. A lot of bias and whatnot to get through there. Just reporting what the piece said though.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-03 14:23:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They found 12 pipe bombs, 2000 9mm bullets and 2500 .223 bullets at the house and 1600 on the couple (not sure what kind). They also had materials to make more bombs.
By Ramyrez 2015-12-03 14:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

And a baby.

They found the baby?

I thought the family had already reported they left the baby with a grandmother.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 14:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

"primordial bombs"(not sure if to translate that differently)

'primitive' is probably what you should have used.
The word they used in italian was supposed to mean like they were unfinished, anyway sorry.

12 bombs is a lot regardless, I think this is proof this was premeditated.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-03 14:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

All this talk of drafts made me check the date. Yep. Not 2003. If it didn't happen then, it's not going to happen now.

Most of us here remember those whispers quite vividly.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-03 14:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they were preparing for something but the fight at the Christmas party made them carry out the attack sooner than planned
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-03 14:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, be happy they forgot to place those bombs anywhere. A minor positive thing within the tragedy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It has to do with the rights and obligations of being full citizens.

The last time the draft was instituted had nothing to do with a population decrease.
Since when are women today not treated as full citizens?

Do you really want women subjected to the possibility of the torture that comes from joining the Army?

I know that it's the principle of the notion that you are looking for, but considering how worthless registering for the selective services is today, is it really something to want and/or demand to be a part of? Registration is a pointless notion unless there's a possibility of a draft, which there is none currently...
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 14:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The word they used in italian was supposed to mean like they were unfinished, anyway sorry.

again, I realize english isn't your first language, so any corrections I make are only to try and help you along, not to condescend.

rudimentary or primitive would have been the way to go.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

And a baby.

They found the baby?

I thought the family had already reported they left the baby with a grandmother.
Oh, I don't know if the baby was at the house or not. I misread what Seha said but didn't feel bothered to correct it.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 14:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you really want women subjected to the possibility of the torture that comes from joining the Army?

women don't want or need your protection.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

women don't want or need your protection.
Strawman, thy name is Mosin.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-03 14:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

that's what you're inferring, hot rod.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-03 14:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

that's what you're inferring, hot rod.
Absolutely not, you are creating an argument where one is not present.

Neither myself nor any other male needs to protect women (in general) anymore, so why bring that up? Except to troll and/or create a strawman argument.
First Page 2 3 ... 1118 1119 1120 ... 1375 1376 1377