JP ONRY EVERYONE ELSE GTFO
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Carbuncle.Kyri
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-08-04 00:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

i self teach myself nihongo and when i use what i know i always get positive feed back.
I hate being treated badly for being gaijin becauase where i live in canada we do not even know racist. my college is over run with darker skinned and asian students, i love their unique style in clothing. I know not everyone can look with the same aspects I do it just makes me sad. im not a wannabe jp but i love the culture, the style and the politeness.

the one they seem to enjoy the most is at the end of a pt ill say "Kyo wa suteki na ichinichi datta. Arigato!! \ = ^.^= /

(the "o" has a triangle above it i can only do on ffxi ; ;)

this roughly says "ty for a wonderful pt"
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2009-08-04 01:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

15 people on friend list.

6 are American, the rest Japanese.
I guess you can say I have no issues at all with the players from the far east.

Surprisingly alot of JP know a good bit of english in Siren. If you just treat them kindly, and be more understanding they will open up to you.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Server: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-08-04 01:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyri said:
the one they seem to enjoy the most is at the end of a pt ill say "Kyo wa suteki na ichinichi datta. Arigato!! \ = ^.^= /

(the "o" has a triangle above it i can only do on ffxi ; ;)

this roughly says "ty for a wonderful pt"

Minor nitpick, this translates more to "Today was a wonderful day. Thank you!!", never mentions the party directly, hehe.

I find it odd that you can get the accented o in ff but not here, I always thought the IME's were shared, weird.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-08-04 01:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

One of my closest friends is japanese, met her when I joined a CoP shout which she was helping NA ppl with.

Ended up in a static with her right up till we completed apoc nigh. She also invited me to finish ToAU and got me into her salvage shell and helped me with other things on the side.

There are some really cool jp ppl out there, not all of them are but same goes for other nationalities that play.

A lot of the time they will not pt with english ppl because of communication difficulties. Also, if you had done several parties with players who could not understand a word of english/mocked your nationality (as i've seen some english do) your more likely to stick to ppl you can converse with.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-08-04 01:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

American and JP cultures are like apples and oranges. Whereas we strive to be different they strive for uniformity. Now the JP culture has begun to shift. You'll see it with young people wearing western fashion and bleached punk hairstyles. The line is starting to blur but there's a long way to go. Personally I hope that culture is preserved, because it's one I hold very dear. But just know that the "JP only" thing is a culture thing.
[+]
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-08-04 02:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been living in Japan for some time now, and Bun has it about right. Most often, Japanese show their respect to Americans by completely ignoring you because their english is not capable of doing anything more than wishing you "good day" or "hello" or "excuse me".

As for the Japanese on FFXI, its more or less the same story, without the face to face context. Granted, I have met Japanese who are rather rude even by American standards, and online, they don't have the restraint of the other Japanese people to make them feel embarrassed. Yes, the surrounding Japanese people will frown down upon the mistreatment of anyone, and anyone who does so will find themselves red in the face, I've seen it, and it's kinda cool to know that their culture cuts the crap really quick.

Don't take too much offense to "jap onry", they're mostly doing that to keep it as close to "familiar is comfortable" as possible. Putting them into a situation where they might have to try to communicate, whether they can or not, usually turns them away. To be truthfully honest, I think its a great thing that the servers are inter culturally mixed, but I think there are those who would have preferred "culture based" servers like other MMO's have.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-04 02:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's this sort of thing that increases my respect for the JP that actually do try and communicate even though they may speak very little to no English.
 Pandemonium.Silvaria
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Silvaria 2009-08-04 04:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with Japanese (that I know of, sometimes they get to typing in their own language and I can't tell if they're making fun of me or not).

LOL..I always wonder that, too. I know they're probably not, but...they could be dogging me like crazy, and I'd never know. ^,^;
 Bahamut.Dracondria
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-08-04 04:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand the JP ONLY thing but what I REALLY REALLY hate is when they group all English speaking players together and call them "NA" and then proceed to say that all "NA" players are {Too Weak} or {Amateur}. Most of the really terrible players I've seen have been Japanese too >_> This is something that really annoys me and they should try to be more friendly.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-04 05:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
I understand the JP ONLY thing but what I REALLY REALLY hate is when they group all English speaking players together and call them "NA" and then proceed to say that all "NA" players are {Too Weak} or {Amateur}. Most of the really terrible players I've seen have been Japanese too >_> This is something that really annoys me and they should try to be more friendly.

We had a guy in our Salvage static who we eventually kicked to save ourselves some drama. He was actually from Singapore, but one day while I was trying sort out yet another one of his endless streams of stupid questions, he told me that "all you NA are the same", which he went on to explain meant greedy. Our salvage static at the time had 2 SG (him and his gf), 2 NA, 1 Kiwi and 4 Aussie members. So yeah, I found that pretty damn offensive and is one of the reasons he's no longer doing salvage with us.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-08-04 05:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Dracondria said:

We had a guy in our Salvage static who we eventually kicked to save ourselves some drama. He was actually from Singapore, but one day while I was trying sort out yet another one of his endless streams of stupid questions, he told me that "all you NA are the same", which he went on to explain meant greedy. Our salvage static at the time had 2 SG (him and his gf), 2 NA, 1 Kiwi and 4 Aussie members. So yeah, I found that pretty damn offensive and is one of the reasons he's no longer doing salvage with us.

It's just ridiculous that they completely ignore the fact that a LOT of Europeans play. We usually act a lot different from NA players and it's very annoying when they group us all together.

I had this JP THF steal my mobs when farming (if I had 2, one which I had WS'd and in a completely different area from where he was) he'd come and kill the mob just because I was there and then tell me "English Too Weak" and then started telling me to die and that I was an idiot in Japanese, so I GM'd him and it worked out :P
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-08-04 06:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, i just got up and i have to say its interesting to see what everyone has been saying. I often /check everyone i see and check again if i forget something or want to look again without a thought, i didnt realise it was so rude :s

Also like blaz said, i too have alot more respect for jp people who actually try and talk to me, even if communication fails im not going to be angry or anything. When i start talking to a jp player say im farming or something, i will ask what they are up to in english (as in to say that maybe we can help each other out) and if they dont speak english i would expect an auto translate saying it back then i will try and auto translate myself. Its just aggrovating when they know what im asking but decide to ignore me!

Another thing, i thought that might be the case when you string together words, that it wont come out making sense to in jp, also what about words with double meanings in auto trans?

All in all though I will certainly put more thought into why im being ignored next time, and try simple japanese words so they know im making an effort.
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-08-04 06:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

We've been making an effort since the game was released >_> They could at least learn some more English, it's incredibly useful in the real world and it would also benefit them in-game. Whenever I see something disrespectful in pt chat I let them know I can read some Japanese and it usually shuts them up for a bit. I find it very weird that they don't know more than "hello" "how are you?" etc, their education must be very bad. Here in Sweden we learn a lot in a year or two when we learn a new language and we can speak fairly well after that.
[+]
 Garuda.Sheila
Server: Garuda
user: Valkyrie
By Garuda.Sheila 2009-08-04 06:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I might be wrong but I think in Japan English is now required to learn? I know for sure they take English classes...but they aren't too comfortable speaking it...IDK. /panic

Oh well..most of the JP I came across have been very nice to me and such. Always so polite :)
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-04 07:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
We've been making an effort since the game was released >_> They could at least learn some more English, it's incredibly useful in the real world and it would also benefit them in-game. Whenever I see something disrespectful in pt chat I let them know I can read some Japanese and it usually shuts them up for a bit. I find it very weird that they don't know more than "hello" "how are you?" etc, their education must be very bad. Here in Sweden we learn a lot in a year or two when we learn a new language and we can speak fairly well after that.

"They could at least learn some more English" is such an ignorant thing to say. Yes English is a good language to learn, and yes, they may be learning it in schools now, but if someone has made it to their 20's without ever having need of learning English, there's really no reason for them to have to learn it just to play a damn video game. I'm certainly not about to learn Japanese just to play a video game, so why should they learn English?
[+]
 Bahamut.Dracondria
By Bahamut.Dracondria 2009-08-04 08:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Dracondria said:

"They could at least learn some more English" is such an ignorant thing to say. Yes English is a good language to learn, and yes, they may be learning it in schools now, but if someone has made it to their 20's without ever having need of learning English, there's really no reason for them to have to learn it just to play a damn video game. I'm certainly not about to learn Japanese just to play a video game, so why should they learn English?

Because almost everyone in the whole damn world knows some English. If someone from Japan is in their 20's they should know some basic English, hell, most kids I know speak better English. By "some more English" I mean that they can at least make themselves understood.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-04 08:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I know exactly what you meant, but if they've managed this far without having any need for it, why should they have to learn English just because you'd like to converse with them in a video game?

life > game
[+]
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-08-04 08:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Once a Japanese player, haven't seen him online in awhile, but he's a doctor and doesn't play ffxi much. He said to me that he thinks English and French are the most valuable languages to know business wise and for traveling to other countries.

He spoke English fairly well. He may have said it because I'm Canadian but, I do agree with him, though I can only read a little French and not speak it.

I've played with many very nice Japanese players in my time. I do agree with Seraph.Kyaaadaa in saying, "they're mostly doing that to keep it as close to "familiar is comfortable"", they probably prefer Japanese parties for being comfortable with the players when communication is needed.

I've been in Japanese parties where they did try their best to tell me in English what they would like me to do and it can be hard. I think many Japanese players would prefer to avoid the lack of communication in situations where it could be important.
 Siren.Murdock
Server: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2009-08-04 08:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
are just one big penis??

wut?
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-08-04 09:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk most of my more recent interaction with jp players (last year or so) has been positive. i was in campaign as SAM/DNC. there was a pimp jp PLD/DNC that was the only one who was tanking the werewolves. i asked him if he wanted to pt and i healed him the whole time (full moon..). more recently was SAM/DNC and saw a jp RDM and BLU fighting marids. i watched. the RDM sent me {party} {do you need it?}. and i was tanking then. we did that for about an hour. after he said {thank you!} {impossible to gauge} {samuai} and was very polite the whole time attempting to talk to me :)
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-08-04 09:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry for the block of text. no return on my phone >< also the only negative things ive seen have to do with them not wanting to pt with NA ppl. jp onry. and yet ive still been in a couple 5/6 jp pts that were alot of fun. and a couple of them even made a point to try to interact with me and be friendly. i tried my best to respond in kind.
 Fairy.Pwrlessgirl
Server: Fairy
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrlessgirl 2009-08-04 09:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

In my opinion I think JAPANESE WORK/PLAY all day.
98% of the time I'm leader in parties because I can make any party I want as I carry my pocket tarutaru everywhere I go.
Being that said, upon my personal experience with Japanese I divide them in two kinds.
Those that GOTTO GO TO WORK... (I'm sorry) (Time to go to work) (Goodbye) and then go disband 30 seconds later, and those that play for hours (Long time party) (yes please) sometimes 3-6-7+ hours, and I have had them in NON-STOP, FISHERMAN, FULL DD parties.
I think is just a matter of culture, for some JP the norm is paly 30mins/1hr and disband, for others, they tag along with you uintil the next morning.
My bigest problem is not with JP, is with NA players (NA myself) is that some *** too much, go afk for 20 minutes,and get emotional over the game, always asking about set up, they DC a lot. I had more headaches keeping a cohesive party with NA players than with JP.
 Midgardsormr.Serbzook
Server: Midgardsormr
user: niktod
By Midgardsormr.Serbzook 2009-08-04 10:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think bitching at japanese ppl in general or referring to some racist *** by japanese is a bad idea. There are normal ppl and there are racist ppl thats the way it goes.

Imo i just think *some* japanese ppl (in ffxi) have no shame to show off that they are some racist ***, i have yet to see a NA player write "NA only" anywhere (maybe you did, but in 4 years of playing i havent), or refuse JP parties, on the other hand just go and do /sea all inv now and im pretty sure you gonna see a couple of "jp onry" comments there.

Ppl speak of japanese as fckn saints:

Clinpachi said:
The honest problem is Ethnocentrism and etiquette. What many American's view as normal, are viewed as disrespectful to Japanese culture.

See in the worldwide culture racism and discrimination is viewed as bad etiquette, your jp friend that cant accept the auto translate function and *** you off if no jp friends in pt is a racist ***, you cant sugar coat it rlly.

Like many other ppl said here iv seen lots of very nice japanese ppl in this game, but fact is we all have noticed that some of them rlly have no shame to show how they love to discriminate by race. Saying their saints is a load of ***, they are just like USA, CA, FR, etc ppl, tons of ***, tons of nice ppl, it just that JPs are more than often the ones to draw the line between language/race etc.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-08-04 10:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Dracondria said:
Blazza said:
Dracondria said:

It's just ridiculous that they completely ignore the fact that a LOT of Europeans play. We usually act a lot different from NA players and it's very annoying when they group us all together.

I had this JP THF steal my mobs when farming (if I had 2, one which I had WS'd and in a completely different area from where he was) he'd come and kill the mob just because I was there and then tell me "English Too Weak" and then started telling me to die and that I was an idiot in Japanese, so I GM'd him and it worked out :P

And wtf is wrong with NA players...? can i *** ask whats everones problem towards us people need to let ***go.

Yeah I was born here but I my parents were not I was raised in a strict religious family. Get your *** head ouut of your *** when you " Assume" all americans are the same retard.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Bonlack
Server: Pandemonium
user: Bonlack
By Pandemonium.Bonlack 2009-08-04 11:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

This is something that gets my blood up to no end. I play US EST time early in the morning around 6:30a-8a start time. Now to note this i have played with some extremely nice JP people. The fact is I get incredibly annoyed when I try to make PT's and the *** don't even bother to reply back. Why the *** would they sit LFP for 3+ hours trying for JP only PT? I'm not elitist at all, but I make awesome PT's. Pisses me off that they think all NA are in one lump group and that we are all rude. Of course there is a reason for this sort of thinking from experience, but JP ppl are just as rude and shitty as "NA" players. Also by taking that logic they are doing the same thing by segregating themselves. I get wanting to be able to talk to ppl and understand wtf they saying in a exp pt, but at that time in the morning I'm usually the only NA player in the PT if I am successful at getting members. JP need to get off their high-horse and realize when I invite to exp accept the invite.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-08-04 12:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

another note they say english only it is not only directed towards NA's it EU and where ever there are english speakers so. So the point of it is moot. JP had been like that wih outsiders since he 1800... use common sense. To them you are invading their territory game came from japan remember...
[+]
 Asura.Sharpe
Server: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-08-04 12:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Serbzook said:
i have yet to see a NA player write "NA only" anywhere

I did once, well I had EU/NA/AUS only. I got a GM called on me and was told that I was being discriminatory and should delete my comment immediately. The GM stopped replying when I told him that JP's do JP only all the time and he could go stick it where the sun doesn't shine

Edit - Also this *** about JPs not liking us using the Auto-translate is horseshit. It's good enough for them to use when trying to communicate with us.
 Asura.Charlottie
Server: Asura
By Asura.Charlottie 2009-08-04 13:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Pwrlessgirl said:

My bigest problem is not with JP, is with NA players (NA myself) is that some *** too much, go afk for 20 minutes,and get emotional over the game, always asking about set up, they DC a lot. I had more headaches keeping a cohesive party with NA players than with JP.

whether this is in my head or not, i couldn't agree more.
 Seraph.Looscannon
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Looscannon 2009-08-04 13:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i kno exaxly what is... there holdin grudge from when we bomed them
[+]
 Hades.Cahlum
Server: Hades
user: Cahlum
By Hades.Cahlum 2009-08-04 13:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I love to check people and look at their armor, its like an ocd of mine.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7