users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » geo in skirmish
geo in skirmish
 Odin.Terren
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Terren 2013-09-01 01:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thread mentioned some nice geo nuke damage in skirmish, which I think is awesome (I spent the evening nuking random stuff with -ras in Abyssea for kicks, was rather impressed by the damage).

I'm curious if anyone would like to elaborate on their experience on GEO in Skirmish, particularly Yorcia? In addition to nukes, I would think the potential for an extra 30 hp regen (or other buffs) could be nice, little more reckless damage in exchange.

Also - I gotta wonder, does geo-gravity work at all? Be nice to have a grav luopan at the choke-point for that last 5-8 minutes when the mob rate goes ape%^&%. Might slow the deluge enough to be a little more manageable (not that I'd want to diminish that often very fun intense last five mins).
 Odin.Cett
user: Cett69
By Odin.Cett 2013-09-01 02:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Spam T1 / 2 Nukes to kill most magic weak mobs
T3 + T2 will take out mostly any others.
If things get hairy around the tent and you see many magic weak mobs, then a blizzara II / Thundara II will knock out most of those and leave u with a brief moment to start casting a second -ra 1 or T2 single target to knock out the survivors.

I personally use Geo/indi - refresh 90% of the time with either Acumen (if others can heal) or regen (if i'm kinda the one responsible for cures). mending halation / radial arcana are pretty spiffy for the oh ***moments following a -ra

Just be sure you have an atinian staff at the least to match what i'm saying here... and decent nuking gear!
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2013-09-01 21:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

^

I tend to setup (depending on the tier) near the Biv. Toss down Geo-Refresh, keep Indi-Acumen up full time. Tier III or lower and I tell the group I've got the Biv covered, though pugs are usually hesitant to believe me, til they're unable to get a swing off on a mob lol. Acumen + gear (varries of course) allows for Stone II to one shot all magic weak mobs except for Luckybugs. Stone IV will one shot most non-magic weak mobs. Stonera I will one shot a group of magic weak mobs, and Stonera II > Stonera I will take out groups of anything.

Think the only thing I really have much of an issue with killing is Panomts (stone seems to resist more than other elements, pretty much just started using Fire IV to one shot and not have to deal with them) and Belladonnas. Belladonnas more so because of the knockback and interruptions, but if you're paying attention and see them coming, Thunder IV one shots (I think, haven't ran a tier V in a week at this point.)

As the previous poster mentioned too, Radial Arcana (not that its not normall useful) and Mending Helation are actually really useful abilities for an event like this. Keep Blink/Stoneskin/Phalanx/Aquaveil* up for when larger waves come and you don't have time to cast higher tier spells to one shot everything and you'll be fine.

*Aquaveil is stupidly important for this. I don't know if Blm has less of an issue with this, but Geo's get absolutely wrecked with spell interruptions once Blink/Stoneskin/Aquaveil are down and a few mobs are on them, just absolutely no chance to get a spell off unless you time it inbetween hits.
[+]
 Odin.Terren
By Odin.Terren 2013-09-03 01:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the tips! I'm pleased to see GEO and BLM getting an actual nuke role in adoulin content, what a concept!

Getting slightly off topic, but I've observed the same effect with aquaveil - in adoulin content spell interruption seems to either be 100% without, or fantastic with. I'm not quite sure why this is. I've been supertanking reives on SCH of late and having aquaveil up basically lets me stoneskin-regen tank with wanton abandon, but as soon as aquaveil drops it's extremely messy. Really kinda strange.

And similarly offtopic - you mention one-shotting with Stone II, which is a spell that benefits a great deal from the new magic damage + gear. I've yet to try it out myself, but has anyone tested Weatherspoon body, with it's magic damage +10, over Hagondes on low tier spells?
By Squish 2013-09-03 01:35:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably not optimal...

But did a 4/5/4 with a GEO/WHM who hasted everyone and helped melee (as in he hit things with his Mondaha Cudgel and Hexa Striked stuff or Realm Razored it) and and ran around with an aura (think it was a regen one) and at end he swapped to a refresh aura and nuked here and there. Nukes seems to about 2 shot most things.

Looked really fun...motivated me to level my GEO and now I am in the process of gearing it up and skilling up.

Really excited, been wondering "what to do next" for a while.
By craptaculous 2013-09-03 09:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ve been using GEO in Yorcia Skirmish as the attention holder in the last 5 minutes when things start rushing in.

Party:
GEO/RDM
WHM
WAR/SAM (for Fell Cleave)
3 DD (usually MNK with the recent influx of MNKs)

One of the three DD roam the area for the lairs, Noetic Ascensions and heartwing. When done, returns to camp.

Second DD watches one way the mobs come from, the third DD watches the other way. The WAR floats from one way to the other, depending on amount of mobs. They basically catch the strays.

As GEO/RDM I kept up Indi-Refresh for WHM and Geo-Regen.

In the last 5-10 minutes when things start rushing in, though, I change regen for Geo-Barrier, keep Phalanx up, full -PDT gear and -ra and diaga the mobs to keep them off the tent/fences. The WAR then Fell Cleaves and the DD's pick off the ones that remain.

It’s pretty surprising just how much of a tank GEO really can be.