Can Geo Fill A Support Slot?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » Can geo fill a support slot?
Can geo fill a support slot?
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2013-07-05 10:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's say you can't find a corsair can a geo fill in the slot reasonably with a indi fury and a geo frailty ? What other combination of two spells can a geo use in let's say a plasm dd party?

And what are the essential spells for geomancer? Thanks for your input. :)
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-07-05 10:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably not. Great for bosses because the boss doesnt' rly move and all the dds are in one spot.

Will have MP issues having to constantly move the geo- spells not to mention the current casting time.

As for indi spells, again, gl having all your DD in the same spot for it in something like a plasm farm
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2013-07-05 10:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much what Tiger said. Even on some of our boss kills I've heard geos shouting "get it back under the sphere." Of course we didn't listen to them because they're geos and they should know their place, but it's annoying enough even just focusing on 1 mob.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Amymy
Server: Lakshmi
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2013-07-05 10:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh Lol thanks for the input.

Don't listen to them cause they geos? That's funny lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Falsetto
By Quetzalcoatl.Lucieus 2013-07-05 10:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO currently suffers from having a very niche role of being; a unique debuffer (which consequently gives alliance-wide buffs) against a static target. It performs in this role really well.

Any time you stray away from this very specific niche role, whether its by adding additional targets that are spread out (ex: plasm farm), or by lowering the party member total and low-maning content (ex: abyssea content), GEO sort of gets... lost... out of place. Sure they can function, but there are other jobs who could take their place at that point and perform more efficiently.

Although the bright side to being wedged in this niche is that GEO's will always be in high-demand for any 'alliance vs. 1 super-target' content (which makes up the trend for current and upcoming end-game content)

Maybe I'm wrong and some more veteran GEO's could shed some light on their experiences, as personally I've barely gotten to play mine. This is just what I've noticed from playing with other GEO's.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pukushu
Server: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-07-05 11:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

what exactly defines a veteran geo?
[+]
 Leviathan.Redherring
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Redherring 2013-07-05 11:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Best thing I could possibly see is teaming them up with a sch, GEO would do a Indi spell DDs and GEO refresh for the SCH. The sch could maybe then do its dd buff spells like regain or str. And both can heal/haste/erase.

Not saying this would work great just a random idea.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-07-05 11:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pukushu said: »
what exactly defines a veteran geo?

I would think a person who has frequently played mage jobs like BRD would be well suited to the mechanics of GEO. Someone who understands postioning and AoE. But GEO isn't even a complete job, regardless how long its been out, nobody could be a veteran, lol.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-05 11:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

GEO really only functions in plasm farm as a puller. That aside it is just another job that is not ideal for that content sphere. GEO shines as a mage party buffer and indispensably as a reject party facilitator for difficult alliance content.
 Phoenix.Warusha
Server: Phoenix
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2013-07-05 12:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Geo offers several inaccessible buffs/debuffs while also offering high dark magic skill for stun. You don't need the bubble when farming weak enemies that die quickly... you need to follow the densest population of enemies being fought with indi-frailty on. You can geo-whatever buff you want on the other mages in your party. If your fellow mages suck, you put on a geo spell on yourself in the most central area that can be accessed by all the mages and then proceed to follow the DDs again. Or... you could try a tactic aside from 6-10 DD wailing on an enemy and try out ranged tactics.