Ragnarok.Alahra
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-06-30 11:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Ragnarok.Alahra said: »
I thought they were just using an updated version of Crystal Tools? Because the ps3 does a shite job of the unreal engine. And I cant imagine SE squeezed THAT (re:based on beta test so far) much out of the ps3 with it

I was about to ask about Crystal Tools--I thought I had read somewhere that they were building a new engine for the future instead.

If they do stick with Crystal Tools it'd probably do a lot to reign in their development costs in the long term, so I'm kinda hoping they do.

Luminous is their new engine,for KH3 and (from what I believe) XV now and onwards.

Idk if 2.0 uses that though.I highly doubt it

YouTube Video Placeholder

Ah, that's right. I remember that demo now. It's gorgeous, but I wonder how much money they sunk into developing that. They really need to focus on getting that money back. Who knows, maybe the restructuring they're going through now will shake things up enough to get them back on track.
By Quiznor 2013-06-30 11:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought they were just using an updated version of Crystal Tools? Because the ps3 does a shite job of the unreal engine. And I cant imagine SE squeezed THAT (re:based on beta test so far) much out of the ps3 with it

I was about to ask about Crystal Tools--I thought I had read somewhere that they were building a new engine for the future instead.

If they do stick with Crystal Tools it'd probably do a lot to reign in their development costs in the long term, so I'm kinda hoping they do.

Luminous is their new engine,for KH3 and (from what I believe) XV now and onwards.

Idk if 2.0 uses that though.I highly doubt it

YouTube Video Placeholder

Ah, that's right. I remember that demo now. It's gorgeous, but I wonder how much money they sunk into developing that. They really need to focus on getting that money back. Who knows, maybe the restructuring they're going through now will shake things up enough to get them back on track.

Sadly,because of the cost of the engine and development time,they wont make the money back from the one main game we'll see in the next few years. Which is why they've pretty much already announced XV-2 XV-3 to recoup easy losses. Just look at XIII,XIII-2 and XIII-3. The engine was already there,they didnt make their money back from XIII on it's own so bang out a quick sequel
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alahra
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-06-30 11:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sadly,because of the cost of the engine and development time,they wont make the money back from the one main game we'll see in the next few years. Which is why they've pretty much already announced XV-2 XV-3 to recoup easy losses. Just look at XIII,XIII-2 and XIII-3. The engine was already there,they didnt make their money back from XIII on it's own so bang out a quick sequel

Yep. What I thought when they originally announced Crystal Tools was that they'd be using it for main-series FF titles for years to come, and we'd start to see them a little more often. But then Nomuya probably got full of himself on Versus and needed more power to render all those extra belts he needed on some random character's costume and they had to start over!

If they can get games out early enough this generation they'll probably have plenty of time to recoup their losses. I'd really prefer main-line titles coming along more rapidly than sequels, though. Part of the draw of FF is the whole "new world" aspect. If they used XV/KHIII to cover the cost of creating Luminous and then got XVI out on the engine in a timely fashion, I'd think it'd work well.

But I guess with their standard development times they need the sequels to bridge the gap.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-06-30 11:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Marael said: »
Bismarck.Patrik said: »
I loved the story in XIII >.>; but it would seem I'm in the minority.

I can understand many of the other complaints about the game but the story was one I never shared.

I enjoyed XIII's story as well.

I will say this for XIII's story. I liked it more than XII's. However, that is like saying "of two hot pokers in the eye, one of them burnt a little less." Both games had abysmal storylines, I enjoyed XIII more than XII for the simple reason that I enjoyed ONE character in XIII, where I wanted to drag every single XII character out back behind the barn and give them both barrels. That is not to say that I enjoyed XIII, he~ll no. I just hated it less than I hated XII.

I'd say its a reach to call XII's story abysmal. Sure, it was bogged down with script flaws, characters woefully underused and the story felt rushed towards the end (its like the final dungeon got deleted) but it added more to Final Fantasy than the PSX entries which were formulaic and stuck to things that were safe. I commend XII for introducing new gameplay elements, a villain that had more complex motivations than "for the evulz", a political backdrop with shades of gray and a wonderful stage for the game to take place in.

All I wish is that the vision could have been realized. The nods (more than nods really..) to Star Wars, developing Ivalice, the wonderful voicework, the interactions between nations and the story that was trying to be conveyed just felt short of a classic.

For all the praise showered upon the FF brand during the golden years of the PSX, FFVII poached ideas from FFVI, FFVIII has always been a divisive entry using the ever divisive time travel trope, IX was a homage entry and FFX was as by-the-book as Final Fantasy could get.

Everyone bitched down XIII for being linear and X took tunnel gameplay to extremes.
 Ragnarok.Alahra
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-06-30 12:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
All I wish is that the vision could have been realized. The nods (more than nods really..) to Star Wars, developing Ivalice, the wonderful voicework, the interactions between nations and the story that was trying to be conveyed just felt short of a classic.

So much this. XII had a lot of potential, in my mind. I've always assumed it suffered a lot from Matsuno stepping down.
By Alpheus 2013-06-30 12:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

So much this. XII had a lot of potential, in my mind. I've always assumed it suffered a lot from Matsuno stepping down.
That. Plus it was focus tested after he left and thus we got Vaan and Penelo.

Then again I'm familiar with Matsuno's work in the Ogre Series and it makes me lament XII even more since Matsuno always leans towards making a dark and complex story with as was mentioned, political back drops. So for me I see it as a missed opportunity at a dark FF main title that I don't think I'll ever see QQ

Edit: Also while credited I don't count XII as a game by Matsuno since it's missing a key element: a Queen reference.

Edit Edit: Ok so I was joking on that last part.
By Quiznor 2013-06-30 12:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Final Fantasy XV, originally known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, is an action role-playing game currently under development for the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One which, alongside Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Type-0, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, makes up Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy. The game, however, has no physical connections to the rest of the project, and will feature a wholly independent story and a unique visual design.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was first announced at E3 2006 alongside Final Fantasy XIII. It follows the story of Noctis Lucis Caelum, a protector of the last remaining city in the world with control over crystals.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII was originally developed with the Crystal Tools engine, but it was announced in December 2011 that the game had been moved to a game-specific engine for the gameplay mechanics, while the lighting is done by the Luminous Engine and the Crystal Tools is still doing the real-time graphics.

Bolded part makes me lol and cry at the same time
[+]
 Ragnarok.Alahra
By Ragnarok.Alahra 2013-06-30 12:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Alpheus said: »
That. Plus it was focus tested after he left and thus we got Vaan and Penelo.

Then again I'm familiar with Matsuno's work in the Ogre Series and it makes me lament XII even more since Matsuno always leans towards making a dark and complex story with as was mentioned, political back drops. So for me I see it as a missed opportunity at a dark FF main title that I don't think I'll ever see QQ

Edit: Also while credited I don't count XII as a game by matsuno since it's missing a key element: a Queen reference.

I agree! I didn't play much of Ogre Battle but I fell in love with the guy from Final Fantasy Tactics. I was so hyped for XII! Ivalice again! Matsuno! And then...no.

And also yeah, no Queen reference. ; ;
By volkom 2013-06-30 16:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen some FFXIV advertisements on youtube. This is a good sign.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [315 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-11 06:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't remember what the other thread about SE's economy was called so I couldn't find it, anyway..

Quote:
In what can only be described as an enthralling read, Square Enix announced a revision to their income forecasts for the coming fiscal year, up from 140-150 billion yen ($1.32 billion/$1.47 billion) to 155 billion yen ($1.52 billion).

The reasons cited include strong sales for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster,Thief and Tomb Raider, the latter of which has now found its way onto the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. This is all good news for a company that was looking on the ropes at the end of the last fiscal year, although the conspicuous absence of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII from the list of games cited with 'favourable sales' will likely be causing one or two strategy rethinks in the depths of the company.
By Pantafernando 2014-05-11 13:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Don't remember what the other thread about SE's economy was called so I couldn't find it, anyway..

Quote:
In what can only be described as an enthralling read, Square Enix announced a revision to their income forecasts for the coming fiscal year, up from 140-150 billion yen ($1.32 billion/$1.47 billion) to 155 billion yen ($1.52 billion).

The reasons cited include strong sales for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster,Thief and Tomb Raider, the latter of which has now found its way onto the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. This is all good news for a company that was looking on the ropes at the end of the last fiscal year, although the conspicuous absence of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII from the list of games cited with 'favourable sales' will likely be causing one or two strategy rethinks in the depths of the company.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-05-11 15:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm soo shocked
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-05-11 15:25:16
Link | Quote | Reply

so lightning returns did not do that good?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-11 15:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Had terrible sales(and for good reasons..)
[+]
 Asura.Domz
Server: Asura
user: Domz
By Asura.Domz 2014-05-11 15:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

bravely default probably helped a bit as well
[+]