Judge To Reverse Conviction In MySpace Hoax

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Judge to reverse conviction in MySpace hoax
Judge to reverse conviction in MySpace hoax
First Page 2 3 4 5
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-04 00:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Azulmagia said:
Ludoggy said:
My *** *** congressman and senator wont take my call or letters >.>

My governor was just caught in Argentina having an affair with another woman paying for the trip with possibly taxpayer money.

Typical.

Also, did you guys see Sarah Palin is stepping down as Gov. of Alaska? She's gonna run for PRESIDENT (I don't know whether to LMAO or want to /wrists)

Her approval ratings in Alaska were dropping like a big number tw-(wait, probably not the best response to you ^^) Either way, she'll never get elected as president. The US can't be THAT stupid... can it? <.<

GAWD!!!!!! >.<

BTW...yeah, the U.S. is that stupid. I shudder to think of her presidency...we'll all be looking back and saying "Man, remember how great things were while Bush was president?"
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 00:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
GAWD!!!!!! >.<

BTW...yeah, the U.S. is that stupid. I shudder to think of her presidency...we'll all be looking back and saying "Man, remember how great things were while Bush was president?"

Sorry, that pun was ripe for the picking D:!

Anyway, if she gets elected, Canada's population just went up one.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-07-04 00:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Azulmagia said:
Ludoggy said:
My *** *** congressman and senator wont take my call or letters >.>

My governor was just caught in Argentina having an affair with another woman paying for the trip with possibly taxpayer money.

Typical.

Also, did you guys see Sarah Palin is stepping down as Gov. of Alaska? She's gonna run for PRESIDENT (I don't know whether to LMAO or want to /wrists)

Her approval ratings in Alaska were dropping like a big number tw-(wait, probably not the best response to you ^^) Either way, she'll never get elected as president. The US can't be THAT stupid... can it? <.<

I think present times already speak about that ;)

Anywho on topic.
I think it is BS that this lady isn't being punished but I can't fault it because teh lawyers were too dumb to find a law to stick to her.

Justice is indeed blind.

If there is one good thing I can say about this its is that she will reap what she sowed. Everything good or bad we do tends to get it's just reward somewhere in life.

Who knows, maybe we'll see her in court if the same thing happens to her or her friend's kid.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 00:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, she'll forever be cursed by the fact that people hate her. Even if she were sent to prison, she'd still eventually get out. The public disapproval is really the greatest punishment. Her daughter's pretty f*cked, too.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-04 01:43:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Majinn said:
I still don't get how it was the woman's fault for the teenager committing suicide. That's like me telling someone to go jump off a bridge because he/she pisses me off. If he or she ever did go do it and died does that mean I'll be held as an accomplice to someone's suicide? That's ***, what this case really comes down to is parents not doing their damn jobs and monitoring their kids' behavior. If someone commits suicide they obviously had mental issues that should have been addressed and treated if possible.

^^ This.

At least someone understands what actually is going on here.

Saying this woman should be punished for creating a fake account and telling this girl to go kill herself is absurd!

Cyber-bullying laws?! Are you crazy? Just what we need is more stupid laws. Most forums have cyber-bullying in one form or another. Violating Terms of Service being a misdemeanor would be very dangerous.
[+]
 Hades.Oakie
Server: Hades
user: Oakie
By Hades.Oakie 2009-07-04 01:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaosx said:
Majinn said:
I still don't get how it was the woman's fault for the teenager committing suicide. That's like me telling someone to go jump off a bridge because he/she pisses me off. If he or she ever did go do it and died does that mean I'll be held as an accomplice to someone's suicide? That's ***, what this case really comes down to is parents not doing their damn jobs and monitoring their kids' behavior. If someone commits suicide they obviously had mental issues that should have been addressed and treated if possible.

^^ This.

Saying this woman should be punished for creating a fake account and telling this girl to go kill herself is absurd!

Cyber-bullying laws?! Are you crazy? Just what we need is more stupid laws. Most forums have cyber-bullying in one form or another. Violating Terms of Service being a misdemeanor would be very dangerous.

+1
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 01:46:35
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

While it might sound absurd it's credible in this day and age with the social networking scene. While I do agree there were many factors that should have been accounted for to prevent this kind of disaster from happening but the fact remains that the assailant had motive and intent to cause this to happen.

If you constantly harass a person to their breaking point (no matter how thin or thick it may be) you should hold a degree of responsibility for their line of actions since you were a direct or indirect contribution to the incident.

Just like a person who is an accessory to murder can face charges equal to the person who went to do it for you. The same should apply to suicide if there's credible evidence showing you pushed someone over the edge with premeditated motive and intent.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-04 02:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I just read more about the case. Here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30607568/

"Drew used her then-13-year-old daughter and a business assistant in the scheme, which played on Megan's insecurities, Krause said."

Now this is where an actual crime might have taken place. I can't find any more details on exactly what she had her daughter and business assistant do.

If they did anything out side of the myspace site, then harassment charges should have been sought after rather than the *** charges prosecutors tried to push.

However if all said events took place purely on the myspace website, there's a nifty little thing called ignore. If you are being constantly harassed to your breaking point on only the website alone, it's really your fault for not using the ignore features, report abuse buttons, or just don't log on.

My whole point is, if you are being harassed on one particular site / forum / or whatever by people, it's your fault for constantly logging on seeing what people are saying about you or to you. If you want the harassment to stop, just don't read it, or better yet report it. However if said person or persons continue to harass you by resorting to other means then that is when a crime starts to emerge, depending on their new methods of harassing you.

But this case really just sounds like a young girl who got upset over someone pretending to be someone else telling her "The world would be a better place without you." I don't know how the other 2 people involved were so called "in on it" but prosecutors and lawyers alike are always dramatizing things as much as possible.

For all we know all the other 2 people did was send her emails. If that's the case, talk to your parents about it rather than killing yourself! If you feel the need to kill yourself over a few people hurting your feelings rather than talking to your own mother/father, family, or friends you definitely have issues.

Quoted from that site: "Krause argued that Drew "coldly conceived of a scheme to humiliate" Megan Meier, a neighbor in a St. Louis suburb, by helping create a fictitious teenage boy on the social networking site and sending flirtatious messages in his name to the girl."

It was never her intent to make her kill herself just be humiliated. That was her only motive, not murder/suicide, just to be humiliated.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 02:42:28

True, but the argument of saying that their only intention was to humiliate would be moot since they'd be an indirect cause of a wide range of potential outcomes including suicide.

That'd be like telling someone they should kill themselves, and when they finally do and you're asked about it saying "I never thought he'd actually do it".

After telling that girl a message that more or less suggested to take her own life, that goes beyond intent of humiliation. They are responsible in some way shape or form regardless of the medium used to do so.

It's just unfortunate the girl didn't wisely use the online features and was mentally unstable enough to be pushed over the edge over something so asinine and ridiculous.
 Seraph.Dereaper
Server: Seraph
user: Dereaper
By Seraph.Dereaper 2009-07-04 03:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the woman should be tried for a type of punishment. The law she is being tried for though however isnt the right one. She should be tried under the Child Endangerment Law.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 09:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaosx said:
Majinn said:

^^ This.

To Wikipedia!

Wikipedia said:
From the third grade Megan had been under the care of a psychiatrist. She had been prescribed Citalopram, Methylphenidate and Ziprasidone. She had been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and depression and considered herself overweight. She was described by her parents as a "bubbly, goofy" girl who enjoyed spending time with her friends and family.

{Hmm...} So she's been seeing a psychiatrist for years, prescribed with three different medications... She already had self-esteem issues... so being told that the world would be better without her (note: by the "person" who meant the most to her) is really a bit of a kick in the pants, wouldn't you agree?

There's a difference between saying something and just shooting your mouth off without doing a bit of research first.
[+]
 Sylph.Lalo
Server: Sylph
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-07-04 09:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

This is just plain and simple stupid. I can see how this is wrong on the woman's behalf, but killing yourself over someone that dumped you... really?

I could think many different reasons to kill one's self, like starving to death, bleeding to death, having cancer or HIV. But never over a relationship. As many people get dumped, i could see the us population dropping like crazy
[+]
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 09:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lalo said:
This is just plain and simple stupid. I can see how this is wrong on the woman's behalf, but killing yourself over someone that dumped you... really?

I could think many different reasons to kill one's self, like starving to death, bleeding to death, having cancer or HIV. But never over a relationship. As many people get dumped, i could see the us population dropping like crazy

She didn't just get dumped. She was told that the world would be better off without her. Please refer to above post.
 Sylph.Aakura
Server: Sylph
user: Aakura
By Sylph.Aakura 2009-07-04 09:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems unfortunate that some of the adults in this site seem to forget that the young girl Megan was still a child, ableit one with mental illness. It sad to automatically assume nowadays the minute you turn into a teen, we expect them to know all of society's rules and behavior. We don't exactly know what happened to start off her day so badly to the point that she actually took someone's advice to remove herself from this world but to sit here and bash her as if she was adult who should of known better is unkind. Remember she was a child still, someone else's child. This kind of situation could happen to anyone's child.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-04 10:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've said it before and I will say it again... Megan was a stupid, gullible teenager.

As for the woman, I don't know wtf her problem is, but she really needs to get therapy.
[+]
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 10:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
I've said it before and I will say it again... Megan was a stupid, gullible teenager.

As for the woman, I don't know wtf her problem is, but she really needs to get therapy.

Megan was in therapy.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-04 10:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Kungfuhustle said:

Megan was in therapy.

thus making the experience all the more traumatic.

But yeah, she committed suicide over some putz, that's her therapy.
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-04 10:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Just you wait guys, next time you tell someone to go and /wrists you could be committing a crime. It's not their fault that they're too stupid to actually evaluate their life and self worth, and instead take a strangers advice on the *** internet lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-07-04 10:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

As the totally real boyfriend of all RMTs and gilbuyers out there, the world would be a better place without them.

*Waits*
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-04 10:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure some barrel-assed, balding political assmite up on the hill wil be bellowing at the masses to pass a law through his anus that would make it a crime to tell someone to kill themselves, and if they do, YOU will be up for murder ONE, that's already 25 to life.

And depending on how it happened, you might be lucky enough to get the chair.
 Seraph.Majinn
Server: Seraph
user: Cojak
By Seraph.Majinn 2009-07-04 11:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Chaosx said:
Majinn said:

^^ This.

To Wikipedia!

Wikipedia said:
From the third grade Megan had been under the care of a psychiatrist. She had been prescribed Citalopram, Methylphenidate and Ziprasidone. She had been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder and depression and considered herself overweight. She was described by her parents as a "bubbly, goofy" girl who enjoyed spending time with her friends and family.

{Hmm...} So she's been seeing a psychiatrist for years, prescribed with three different medications... She already had self-esteem issues... so being told that the world would be better without her (note: by the "person" who meant the most to her) is really a bit of a kick in the pants, wouldn't you agree?

There's a difference between saying something and just shooting your mouth off without doing a bit of research first.

I already made my point with the bridge analogy, if you can't understand what I'm trying to convey with that I give up. You all have to understand that people kill themselves every day. Maybe a man bought a gun from a gun shop and shoots himself with the gun he bought. Does that make the gun shop clerk an accomplice to the man's suicide? Hopefully the clerk is unaware of the man's intentions of purchasing the gun. Some of you don't seem to grasp the precedence a case like this can set against innocent people.

Since she suffered from these mental issues why was she allowed access to the internet? Why weren't her parents monitoring her internet activity? As someone pointed out she was a young girl. What, nobody watched Dateline's "To Catch a Predator?" Nobody has learned to monitor their kid's behavior online? It seems like people have a real lack for common sense in this day and age. Again it's the parent's fault for not monitoring their child properly. Every parent thinks his/her kid is the ***and nothing is wrong with the kid. Maybe that's what prevented them from placing her in an institution where she could be regularly monitored.
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-04 11:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Once again, personal responsibility goes out the window.

"It's not my fault officer!! The person on teh interwebs made me do it!!!"

***. It's her parents fault, if she was that mentally unstable she should have been on suicide watch at the hospital. People that are cheerful and happy don't just off themselves, there are warning signs...
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-04 11:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

the girl is dead, the women won't get any jailtime, and MySpace has claimed another victim...

LETS MOVE ON AND FLIRT WITH THOSE OTHER MYSPACE FREAKS!
[+]
 Hades.Medjai
Server: Hades
user: medjai
By Hades.Medjai 2009-07-04 11:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

haha **flirts with kungfu** i mean amen bro XD
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-04 11:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Students Get X-rated Version of Class Dvd

Here's something for you freaks to gnaw at.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-04 11:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah w/e I give up on this...

Just let society sort out their junk >.>;
 Fairy.Deist
user: Deist
By Fairy.Deist 2009-07-04 12:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kungfuhustle said:
Students Get X-rated Version of Class Dvd

Here's something for you freaks to gnaw at.

Is it wrong to wonder if the teacher was at least hot?
[+]
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-04 13:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Majinn said:
Since she suffered from these mental issues why was she allowed access to the internet? Why weren't her parents monitoring her internet activity? As someone pointed out she was a young girl. What, nobody watched Dateline's "To Catch a Predator?" Nobody has learned to monitor their kid's behavior online? It seems like people have a real lack for common sense in this day and age. Again it's the parent's fault for not monitoring their child properly. Every parent thinks his/her kid is the ***and nothing is wrong with the kid. Maybe that's what prevented them from placing her in an institution where she could be regularly monitored.

Because she's depressed, she shouldn't be allowed on the internet? Institutionalised? Pure ignorance. Should she have been monitored, however? Yes. Also to note is MySpace's 14+ onry rule. The whole online predator problem was not around when the majority of users here were 13, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say, so it's a little hard to fully comprehend her situation. There was a lack of responsibility on Megan's part and her parents, but I also believe the Drews are responsible for her death, if at least indirectly, and should be punished. However, my earlier point:

Azulmagia said:
Meh, she'll forever be cursed by the fact that people hate her. Even if she were sent to prison, she'd still eventually get out. The public disapproval is really the greatest punishment. Her daughter's pretty f*cked, too.

...I still stand by.
 Unicorn.Buront
Server: Unicorn
user: burontaru
By Unicorn.Buront 2009-07-04 13:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

while the woman's behavior was juvinile, the entire situation was as well. do you expect the woman sending the fake messages to know that her daughters friend suffered from severe depression?

according to the article, the woman wasnt even the one who sent the final message, it was her daughter. the message was sent after she found out her friend thought she was a lesbian and was possibly spreading rumors. do we really want to start punushing people for what they say in anger?

all that really happened here was a series of lies. on the internet.

breakups like this happen all the time in real life, lies are told in real life, because it happened over the internet its a crime now?
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 14:09:16

The point was there was motive and intent by the defendants to "humiliate" the girl and one of their last messages sent was in essence a suicide request, and unfortunately the young girl was messed up in the head enough to take it to heart.

If there's enough evidence to show that there was malicious intent, I feel the mother and daughter that sent these messages should take responsibility for indirectly contributing to the turn of events led by this young girl. Sadly in this case, she took her own life.

Unfortunately personal responsibility for one's actions doesn't exist in this day and age, especially not in the court room. It's all about passing blame.