Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 131 132
By kunami 2019-02-14 13:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite one is Bow-hemian Rhapsody but it feels a little like a bait and switch with how bad bows are right now.
[+]
 Bismarck.Tesiex
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Tesiex
By Bismarck.Tesiex 2019-02-14 13:36:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like there is a Walker: Texas Ranger / Chuck Norris joke to be had but I'm struggling to find it.

Ranger: Chuck Norris was one, you should be too!
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-14 14:36:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved arrow-dynamics, but feel the same way kunami.
By kunami 2019-02-14 14:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe there is something we can pun with Bolts?

Gastra is good,
Gastra is great,
and we thank it for our dps
Amen.

The Ranger's Prayer
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-14 15:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Our Ammo,
Which art in quivers,
Quelling be thy name.
Thy Recycle come,
Thy Wide Scan done,
In Jeuno as well as Tu'lia.
Give us this day our daily Trueflight,
And forgive us our hate-stealing,
As we forgive weak-*** Tanks.
And lead us not into meleeing,
But deliver us all the Doubleshots.
[+]
By kunami 2019-02-14 15:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Our Ammo,
Which art in quivers,
Quelling be thy name.
Thy Recycle come,
Thy Wide Scan done,

I spit my drink.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-02-14 15:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Zanosan said: »
+2 neck will beat out Anu when you get use out of the PDL.

I'm very skeptical about PDL from +2 neck having a ton of use for RNG melee TP damage. Not only are we talking about white damage from something like relatively low damage daggers/swords, but it would require you to be so much above atk cap that you're also exceeding the 0.3 PDL that RNG already gets from trait.

Seems like the better call would be an additional STP+1 from Iskur. Even the same STP and Atk+20 sounds like it would far more often be better. Or, if not acc capped for some reason, something with some acc as well, probably Erudition Necklace.

Obviously these are all relatively minor differences though.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Makonnen
Server: Carbuncle
user: Numbahz
By Carbuncle.Makonnen 2019-02-14 16:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

"Shootin' Barrage of Arrows,Bolts & Bullets", A Scout's Guide.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Taint 2019-02-14 16:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Decimation is better than Savage Blade if you wanted to melee DD on rng, yay or nay?

With Ambu weapons? I'd lean towards Decimation.

D in sword, B- in Axe.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-14 16:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Asura.Zanosan said: »
+2 neck will beat out Anu when you get use out of the PDL.

I'm very skeptical about PDL from +2 neck having a ton of use for RNG melee TP damage. Not only are we talking about white damage from something like relatively low damage daggers/swords, but it would require you to be so much above atk cap that you're also exceeding the 0.3 PDL that RNG already gets from trait.

Seems like the better call would be an additional STP+1 from Iskur. Even the same STP and Atk+20 sounds like it would far more often be better. Or, if not acc capped for some reason, something with some acc as well, probably Erudition Necklace.

Obviously these are all relatively minor differences though.

I would wager a lot of it has to do with what we're using melee TP'ing for. In my case, I use it only at times like Omen runs where I'm meleeing to build TP and then firing a weaponskill for an objective- be that a 30k Trueflight or spamming Energy Drain with daggers for 30 magical WSs, or crit hits. I cannot think of any situation where meleeing for TP would be a better choice than shooting on anything major due to our squishiness and the loss of total white damage when compared to shooting.

As such...I gear my melee sets for accuracy and STP. Its only a tool to allow faster WS spam when the situation necessitates it. Something like the Scout's Gorget's PDL+ just doesn't serve any purpose for me on that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-02-14 17:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I would wager a lot of it has to do with what we're using melee TP'ing for. In my case, I use it only at times like Omen runs where I'm meleeing to build TP and then firing a weaponskill for an objective- be that a 30k Trueflight or spamming Energy Drain with daggers for 30 magical WSs, or crit hits. I cannot think of any situation where meleeing for TP would be a better choice than shooting on anything major due to our squishiness and the loss of total white damage when compared to shooting.

Exactly. And honestly, even on stuff that isn't "major", like Omen objectives, or maybe if you were trying to melee for TP in an Apex CP party... you'll still gain TP faster when shooting a lot of the time, especially with Double Shot up. I have a basically flawless melee TP set, but I can't come close to beating my /ra TP generation with Samurai Roll/Double Shot. I doubt melee even beats my non-Double Shot shooting STP set for TP generation.

Like you, the only time I'll really bother meleeing is in Omen, where I'll engage with daggers to spam Energy Drain or Shadowstitch for WS objectives, just because I want to keep damage low to finish off the objective. But that's really just because I want to use the melee WS with a specific eye on not killing the mob very fast.

Taint said: »
Decimation is better than Savage Blade if you wanted to melee DD on rng, yay or nay?

D in sword, B- in Axe.

I have a hard time imagining realistic situations where Savage or Decimation with Ambuscade weapons would be worth doing for RNG.

One of the notable use cases for COR Savage Blade with a TP Bonus gun is spamming Savage Blade on wave 3 Dyna... but if you're on RNG, you have Trueflight - and that should be far better.

For a lot of other stuff where physical damage matters, you're probably safer staying at range and using Last Stand.

Are there really any realistic uses for Savage/Decimation/Evisceration melee RNG?
[+]
 Asura.Brahk
Server: Asura
user: Brahk
By Asura.Brahk 2019-02-14 17:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Our Ammo,
Which art in quivers,
Quelling be thy name.
Thy Recycle come,
Thy Wide Scan done,

Bravo!
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2019-02-14 19:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

Exactly. And honestly, even on stuff that isn't "major", like Omen objectives, or maybe if you were trying to melee for TP in an Apex CP party... you'll still gain TP faster when shooting a lot of the time, especially with Double Shot up. I have a basically flawless melee TP set, but I can't come close to beating my /ra TP generation with Samurai Roll/Double Shot. I doubt melee even beats my non-Double Shot shooting STP set for TP generation.

Like you, the only time I'll really bother meleeing is in Omen, where I'll engage with daggers to spam Energy Drain or Shadowstitch for WS objectives, just because I want to keep damage low to finish off the objective. But that's really just because I want to use the melee WS with a specific eye on not killing the mob very fast.

Taint said: »

D in sword, B- in Axe.

I have a hard time imagining realistic situations where Savage or Decimation with Ambuscade weapons would be worth doing for RNG.

One of the notable use cases for COR Savage Blade with a TP Bonus gun is spamming Savage Blade on wave 3 Dyna... but if you're on RNG, you have Trueflight - and that should be far better.

For a lot of other stuff where physical damage matters, you're probably safer staying at range and using Last Stand.

Are there really any realistic uses for Savage/Decimation/Evisceration melee RNG?

Well decimation seems like it makes a much more consistent light starter than last stand and the kaja weapons aren’t too far behind malevolence that you should feel ashamed to use them in a tf hybrid build to not cripple melee or magic

Decimation > wildfire > trueflight > decimation could be a decent 4 step or even just decimation > trueflight or vice versa for just one step light
By kunami 2019-02-14 21:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Node is updated with some navigation, a section on what buffs to give rangers, and a little treat at the bottom.
[+]
By Cronnus 2019-02-15 11:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This might come off as a dumb question. I don't have Armageddon to test it myself before asking. Is Wildfire better with Gastra or with Armageddon? I know the bolts are helping, but the 50 AGI on Armageddon is that push it past Gastra's wildfire? I can imagine the R15 Armageddon definitely has higher wildfire. Thanks :)
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-15 12:36:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cronnus said: »
This might come off as a dumb question. I don't have Armageddon to test it myself before asking. Is Wildfire better with Gastra or with Armageddon? I know the bolts are helping, but the 50 AGI on Armageddon is that push it past Gastra's wildfire? I can imagine the R15 Armageddon definitely has higher wildfire. Thanks :)

Don't forget about the boost to Wildfire because its the attached weaponskill to Armageddon. Quelling bolts help Gastra come closer than other options for us (Since Wildfire damage doesn't scale with TP overflow, so the TP+500 on Fomalhaut is useless), but it still falls behind Arma.

Right now I have R12 Arma, R9 Gastra, R9 Foma in terms of options for Wildfire (also R8 Anni, but not factoring that in this discussion). The best aspect of ranking up Armageddon so far has been making Last Stand competitive in terms of raw damage to Fomalhaut (obviously not in terms of the skillchain properties which is huge for us). All that crazy AGI and some extra STR on it, combined with Chrono Bullets of course, really makes Arma a monster in terms of physical damage, while maintaining a very viable option for magical damage with Best Wildfire damage and 2nd best Trueflight damage when over 2500 TP (and darn close to Fomalhaut below it).
By kunami 2019-02-15 13:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Don't forget about the boost to Wildfire because its the attached weaponskill to Armageddon.

Do the Empyrean weapons actually give an inherent boost to their WS prior to augmenting? For example, Gastra gives a raw +30% at 119 Afterglow but I can't find anything similar on Armageddon or any other Empyrean weapon.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-02-15 13:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

no
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-15 13:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
no

yup, that's the case. double checked w/ some other empy owners I know and my brain was just running with the RP augment of "Wildfire +%".

To answer the prior question, I never got as good of WF numbers on gastra as I did on arma pre-RP augments. Can't test it any more myself but can check w/ some arma owners I know to see if they've upgraded yet and we can check a few things.

There's certainly more Gastras and DPs around these days due to dyna-D stories.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-02-15 18:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, AFAIK the AGI on Armageddon beats out the MAB from Quelling Bolts before considering any 119 augments. Not much else of relevance on any of the high end weapons/ammo (aside from the similar Macc on the ammo from Arma/Gastra) since gun/bullet damage doesn't matter for WF, nor does TP overflow. Obviously, the additional WF damage+ and AGI from R1~15 augments just increases the gap in favor of Armageddon.

Armageddon augments are pretty unique among all of the ranged RMEA in that the AGI effectively serves as an "all marksmanship WS" boost due to every marksmanship WS having a heavy AGI mod. Of course, that's in addition to the specific Wildfire damage increase making WF more viable outside of SCs (and performing better within WF SCs) for Armageddon users. Working on R15 Arma now, it will be my first RMEA to max rank!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-15 18:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

its always been a lovely weapon, the RP system just gave it even more oompf. Add in relic+3 body (or cor relic+3 hands if on that job) and your doubleshot/tripleshot damage with Aftermath up is just ridiculous.

And while we're currently in a Ranger discussion, the multi-use of Armageddon for both Ranger and Corsair is really wonderful. Arma can put out great Leaden Salute numbers (especially if you can swap in Living Bullets) while giving MUCH better Last Stand numbers than Death Penalty if you're mixing up your damage type and not sticking to one.

Its just a great all-in-one weapon for both jobs, excelling at both physical and magical damage.
By kunami 2019-02-15 18:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Last chance on funny name for the new node thread...

current leader is

Home on the Range: The Modern FFXI Ranger's Guide!
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
Server: Bismarck
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2019-02-16 01:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

kunami said: »
Last chance on funny name for the new node thread...

current leader is

Home on the Range: The Modern FFXI Ranger's Guide!

My submission
By Cronnus 2019-02-18 05:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

its always been a lovely weapon, the RP system just gave it even more oompf. Add in relic+3 body (or cor relic+3 hands if on that job) and your doubleshot/tripleshot damage with Aftermath up is just ridiculous.

And while we're currently in a Ranger discussion, the multi-use of Armageddon for both Ranger and Corsair is really wonderful. Arma can put out great Leaden Salute numbers (especially if you can swap in Living Bullets) while giving MUCH better Last Stand numbers than Death Penalty if you're mixing up your damage type and not sticking to one.

Its just a great all-in-one weapon for both jobs, excelling at both physical and magical damage.

Thank you, Capu and Cele. I've got anni,gand,gast now and they're great. I dont care to make aeonics, they never had that FF feel to them for me. Wanted something for better last stands and better wildfires when trueflight isnt an option. So you've guys have me sold.
By Justuas 2019-02-26 08:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is this still pinned?
First Page 2 3 ... 131 132