Is FF14 Talk Making Ppl Quit?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Is FF14 talk making ppl quit?
Is FF14 talk making ppl quit?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-07-02 06:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if it's a coincidence, maybe of summer vacations, but alot of ppl (and I'm talking about long time addicted to the game, players) been quiting the game.

I think all this talk about FFXIV is making ppl feel they are wasting time trying to get stuff. (we all know how anything worth while usualy takes alot of time)
Because one thing is, knowing nothing will last forever. Another is to have a date and then calculate if you can get something by then and if you will get to enjoy it for some time.

Have you guys been noticing this in other worlds or even in Gilgamesh?
 Kujata.Nanyo
Server: Kujata
user: Nanyo
By Kujata.Nanyo 2009-07-02 06:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, no.

Most of my friends are saying "I don't need another time sink thanks"

@.@ I'm in agreeance, And those friends of mine that want to join FF14 still plan on playing FFXI they just want to see what it's all about.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-07-02 06:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

No I haven't noticed any of my friends (I'm at... 198 or 199 I think?) quitting because of FFXIV. Sure some have quit semi-recently because or rl problems/reasons. But not because of this.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-07-02 07:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If I had the chance to get Mandau I probably still would. Even though, realisticly, I wouldn't waste the time/gil anyway.

90% of MMOs don't come out on the original relase date. Even though they say next year I think it will be more like a year and a half or more. So I wouldn't quit just yet because FFXIV is scheduled to come out soon.
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-07-02 07:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Excesspain said:
Even though they say next year I think it will be more like a year and a half or more. So I wouldn't quit just yet because FFXIV is scheduled to come out soon.

^This, don't expect 14 till 2011 minimum!

And Alucard ftw! *cheers*
 Ramuh.Rustytiger
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Rustytiger 2009-07-02 07:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I think its a matter of many reasons, at least from where I'm getting at on Ramuh.

I asked a lot of people about this topic myself and got mixed answers; some want to quit and hop on the FFXiV bandwagon, some want to try it out THEN make a decision if they want to stay or not on it, while others like myself want to wait and see how it turns out first while still playing ffxi or still stay on ffxi 'till the very end.

There's many folks, like myself, who still want to experience all ffxi has to offer and hasn't yet experienced it to it's fullest rather than finish it half-done. It's a matter of pace since not everyone on this current game is on the same level as the person next to them (ex; gear, missions, etc).

Optimistically speaking, FFXI IS at this point a huge game an given the time it takes to finish goal A and move on to goal B is time consuming so I highly doubt this game will phase out when the new one comes out as some people have speculated.
 Remora.Rhinok
Server: Remora
user: Rhinok
By Remora.Rhinok 2009-07-02 07:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

why make a million gil if you can make a million bucks. ~.^
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-02 08:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Rhinok said:
why make a million gil if you can make a million bucks. ~.^

What if you can't make either?

I came to FFXI fairly late, but have still accomplished the majority of what I want to. As such, I'll be getting on FFXIV as soon as I can since so much of FFXI was already known when I came to it. I'd like to find things out for myself that isn't already common knowledge.

Having said that, I'm planning (at this stage) to still attend LS events on FFXI if the LS continues. Also apparently there will be a way to communicate with your friends in XI from XIV, so that'll help out a fair bit too I think.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-07-02 08:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's probably going to be run through PoL again.

Kinda like how you can pick FFXI or Tetramaster from the games menu.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-07-02 08:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

They already stated that POL wouldn't be used, but the friends list would carry over.
 Kujata.Cubby
user: Cubby
By Kujata.Cubby 2009-07-02 08:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed that people are. Just last month, 10 people quit that I have known for a long time, 5+years. I'm started to feel the same way, but I know I'll always come back til they close down the servers. I guess people feel like they are wasting time, alot of time in some cases, just to start over again if they were to play 14. I know if FF14 isnt as much as a timesink and FF11 is, I might be on the 14 bandwagon.
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-07-02 09:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The game isn't even out yet and probably wont be out for another year at least. There's no reason to quit 11 for 14.

Quote:
I guess people feel like they are wasting time, alot of time in some cases, just to start over again

I don't understand how starting a new job from lvl 1 is somehow different from starting a lvl 1 job when 14 comes out. Especially when there are people who have two characters they play regularly (Galka for melee and Taru for magic). They'd have to do COP and nation missions twice :O.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-07-02 09:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually had a few people I met tell me "Oh I got this game to play for a month or two until FFXIV comes out." So if anything it's making people join FFXI. It also appears that once a game is announced the general public thinks that means it's being released immediately.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-07-02 09:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

At the moment, I know a few people who said "I lost morale for getting stuff since I'm all for XIV." and a few who were considering quiting/on break that are on super hiatus because of XIV. Personally I have to force myself to log onto events if I ever DO log in at all, and FFXIV being announced really didn't help that cause.

Summed up, people still addicted to FFXI are not sweating XIV. People tired of XI are loving the sound of XIV.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-07-02 09:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-02 11:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

to answer the OP... no!

I canceled my account way before any knowledge of FF14.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-02 11:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes

when 14 came out it kinda made getting anything on 11 somewhat void

whats the point in doing anything when something new will come out? you catch my drift

ill wait and see >.>

but thats what my friends are getting too
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-07-02 11:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I have noticed in gilga, lots ppl not on anymore :/
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-02 11:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

well Thunderz, you could be one of those uber hardcore gamers who HAVE TO "finish" FF11 before going on to FF14, I dunno wtf they're doing but yeah... they're uber!
 Asura.Crewe
Server: Asura
user: Crewe
By Asura.Crewe 2009-07-02 12:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

This game in general is a waste of time, or a way to kill at least. Something to get you through a day, few hours, etc.
 Bismarck.Verace
Server: Bismarck
user: Verace
By Bismarck.Verace 2009-07-02 12:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

FF14 sounds like WoW for 7 yr olds play the game a month and ur done time sink not allways a bad thing lest u wont b bored after max lvl and fully geard ppl seem to think FFXI is ending but its not most of my friends still like FF11
 Garuda.Aurilius
Server: Garuda
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-07-02 12:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Periods are your friend, so please use them. Periods generally help break up your ideas into coherent sentences.

Yes, FF14 has had an effect on people. Personally, I'm not going to even play it. I've seen several people quit with the feeling of, "Why play FF11 when 14 will be coming out and all my time spent will be meaningless".
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-07-02 12:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to say no. People quit all the time and a lot of them come back.
Check back when FFXIV is released and it may have some kind of effect. Right now I doubt it is having much effect.
Anyone who plays this and doesn't realize that in the end all of their effort will be for nothing need to re-evaluate why they play FFXI. We aren't all going to get some big prize when FFXI ends. I play to have fun and I love my character. Sometime it will be time to move on, though. When I do it will be sad as I've put alot of effort into her. :(
Hell I was sad when I retired a chocobo this morning. XD
Anyway, back to the point; no it isn't having an effect yet in my opinion.
 Remora.Rhinok
Server: Remora
user: Rhinok
By Remora.Rhinok 2009-07-02 12:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe people are quitting because they want to focus on making their lives & people in their family's lives better? *shrugs*
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Joltx
user: Joltx
By Gilgamesh.Joltx 2009-07-02 12:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:
Yes

when 14 came out it kinda made getting anything on 11 somewhat void

whats the point in doing anything when something new will come out?
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-02 13:24:17
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

They're two completely different and separate games.
I'm still having fun on XI; so the answer is no.
 Hades.Jacinda
Server: Hades
user: Jacinda
By Hades.Jacinda 2009-07-02 13:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've seen, the announcement has affected people not in the sense of quitting FFXI, but taking a more casual approach to the game. It's not as important if they don't get claim on an HNM or if there's a failed limbus run.

People also seem to be more inclined to do things that were once looked at as a waste of time. I don't know the right way to put it, but I notice more people actually treating FFXI like a game and not a job now.
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2009-07-02 13:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally i think so..
Atleast in my case it has somewhat.

I've been on the FFXI bandwagon for years now.. i've done everything and seen everything. So when i first heard about FFXIV, I made up my mind then I was finally "done" with FFXI (even though in reality i've been done for along time now, i just havn't accepted it."

FFXI has been a good way for me to relax and kill time for these past 5 years or so, and i believe it's time for something new. So i decided to quit for good, until FFXIV comes out, that way i have more time to do other things in life until then.

Also, i know i'll be getting flamed for this i'm sure, but i decided i would start up WoW again until FFXIV. Simply because if one day i have time i need to kill, all i have to do is jump on WoW and actually do something while i'm killing time/whatever. Rather than FFXI where I wil spend the 30mins i have to waste by standing somewhere looking for a party or waiting for a NM to pop that never comes.

Anywho, that's my two cents
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-07-02 13:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Jacinda said:
From what I've seen, the announcement has affected people not in the sense of quitting FFXI, but taking a more casual approach to the game. It's not as important if they don't get claim on an HNM or if there's a failed limbus run.

People also seem to be more inclined to do things that were once looked at as a waste of time. I don't know the right way to put it, but I notice more people actually treating FFXI like a game and not a job now.

QFT.
 Ramuh.Rustytiger
By Ramuh.Rustytiger 2009-07-02 13:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Rhinok said:
Maybe people are quitting because they want to focus on making their lives & people in their family's lives better? *shrugs*

Hence my statement. I'm a casual player since I have a life and at some point in time I like to get out a breathe, see my friends and family, all that jazz. Even I had to put my character on hiatus or even quit on more than one occasion because of offline obligations.

And even if i were to decide on joining the FF14 bandwagon on a permanent basis, no way i'd be able to juggle both 14 and 11 (i has bills to pay after all). At this point in time right now, I'm happy with FFXI to the very end.

I agree with both your statement and Tallulah's. Though this new MMO is coming out and the majority of the populous are making hype about it, not that many people are as quick to leave as some people would speculate.

As for my view on if I feel my time on FFXI is wasted; I say no. You like or love what you enjoy to the very end! Once the servers close on FFXI, which wont be for a VERY long time, there's still plenty to do. MMOs are not like your basic normal video game where there's an actual ending, whereas MMOs are how you want it to be if you look at it that way.

I guess its all a matter of preference and personal choice, after all.
First Page 2 3 4 5