users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Dynamis » Relic Weapon Decisions - 1st Time Relic
Relic Weapon Decisions - 1st Time Relic
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-04-19 21:27:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I got some time to think about it yet, but was planning on making a relic weapon, and here are the candidates.

Mandau, Apocalypse, Ragnarok

Of these, I kinda get the impression that Mandau gets the most bang for the buck, in terms of new content bringing new weapons.

However, on the flip side... people shout for Voidwatch demanding R/M/E DD, aren't refering to thieves.

Thief is becomming a favorite job of mine, my other jobs that I main are Cor and DRK. And I'm 20 gems and 45 Lanterns from Armageddon.... which kinda covers the VW shout demands when I'm finished.

I hear lots of talk about Reive weapons, Skirmish weapons. And alot of chatter.

Anyhow... in short. Of those 3, which would be the most BANG for the BUCK weapon wise? I'm inclined to think Mandau, but DRK was still my first love, and I wouldn't mind making it more beastly.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-04-19 21:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

if you often feel you could use more mages, apocalypse

if not, none of them are going to be that amazing compared to the reive/skirmish weapons(though they're still better iirc)
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-19 21:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau is a solid make for THF. Its negative is that it poisons, making sleep impossible, but who sleeps anymore?

Rag is pending based on "modifications" that they may or may not make to relic weapons.

Apoc is for low-man situations. Its negative being that it isn't competitive from a pure-damage standpoint when compared to its peers.

THF isn't great for VW (or at least wasn't pre-1 hander update), but that's not really THF's use anyway. A zerg with no need for TH? Yeah, fundamentally contradicts THF.

I'd start farming the currency, but keep a close eye out for updates on how things are going to change in relation to Relics.
 Lye
By Lye 2013-04-19 21:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't a stickyed relic guide get made? Check it out.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-04-19 21:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lye said: »
Didn't a stickyed relic guide get made? Check it out.

I've viewed it and the job guides, It's more in reference to what's worth the effort now, starting with nothing. Alot of debate about how this compares with that.. Particularly in the Great Sword category.

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Mandau is a solid make for THF. Its negative is that it poisons, making sleep impossible, but who sleeps anymore?

Rag is pending based on "modifications" that they may or may not make to relic weapons.

Apoc is for low-man situations. Its negative being that it isn't competitive from a pure-damage standpoint when compared to its peers.

THF isn't great for VW (or at least wasn't pre-1 hander update), but that's not really THF's use anyway. A zerg with no need for TH? Yeah, fundamentally contradicts THF.

I'd start farming the currency, but keep a close eye out for updates on how things are going to change in relation to Relics.

Was kinda my thought. I had intended on farming as much as I can first, before starting on any of them, which will give me plenty of time to decide, and await possible updates.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-19 21:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

As of right now, no one really knows if it's worth it. A dagger could get released next month that curb-stomps Mandau, and we'd have nothing to do but sob for a few hours, and then figure out how to get the new dagger. It's the way of the game right now, unfortunately.
 Carbuncle.Darktrance
By Carbuncle.Darktrance 2013-04-19 22:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
As of right now, no one really knows if it's worth it. A dagger could get released next month that curb-stomps Mandau, and we'd have nothing to do but sob for a few hours, and then figure out how to get the new dagger. It's the way of the game right now, unfortunately.
Well, atleast with Mandau, it could always be an offhand :P.
 Asura.Kohanu
Server: Asura
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2013-04-19 22:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Except relics make terrible offhand weapons.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-04-19 22:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Id say get a mandau so it makes any subsequent relics easier to farm for... but like dd output matters when nothing *** procs ever in dyna urghhhhhhhh, perma 300tp drives me fkin crazy. They need to add like 2-3k hp onto all dyna mobs but make them easier to proc, because its a total joke at the moment.