Geomancers: Wielders of Nature's Force
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-21 12:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Geomancers: Wielders of Nature's Force (03/21/2013)

Geomancers lovingly coax out the energies that course through the world's lifestream so that they may survive another day amidst the Ulbukan continent's savage wilds. The practice of geomancy—concentrating organic powers within luopans and enhancing their potency with the sublime sounds of handbells—is as storied and enchanting as Ulbuka itself, and while both their existences had remained hidden from Middle Landers for years, the archives in this western land house ample stores of information on this mysterious art.

Geomancers: Wielders of Nature's Force (03/21/2013)

Wielders of Nature's Force

Fear the darkness.

Unfathomable abominations lurk within its umbral cloak...
Its impenetrable color the very origin of terror...

Entrust yourself to the darkness.

Its visage a rejuvenating slumber...
Its breath a comforting embrace...

Lend an ear to nature with your heart and soul.

Let it show you the path to understanding the darkness.

From "Grasping Darkness" in An Introduction to the Arts of Geomancy

Geomancers lovingly coax out the energies that course through the world's lifestreams so that they may survive another day amidst the Ulbukan continent's savage wilds. The practice of geomancy—concentrating organic powers within luopans and enhancing their potency with the sublime sounds of handbells—is as storied and enchanting as the Ulbuka itself, and while both their existences had remained hidden from Middle Landers for years, the archives in this western land house ample stores of information on this mysterious art.

Sih Renaye's Miracle

The infant's life may have been saved, but the beastmen would go on to slay Sih in cold blood and then endeavor to raze the village. Luckily, the thaumaturgical barrier she had erected held strong even after her death and repelled the creatures' seemingly indefatigable efforts to wreak havoc on their settlement.

Sih Renaye sacrificed her life for the sake of that village. While we retained a settlement, we also lost our continent's most powerful and renowned geomancer. In addition, the five apprentices in her charge disappeared without either a trace or a goodbye.

To what far corners of the world they departed is a question that shall likely remain unanswered for all eternity.

Excerpt from Sih Renaye and Her Five Disciples, author unknown

In a far bygone age, before flora enveloped the land and effectively barred entrance deeper into the continent, Ulbuka consisted of one vast plain. The people who inhabited this grassland lived in total and constant fear of the beastmen and their Velkk overlords that stalked the plains. The savages were fond of pillaging and plundering, so much so that the rising sun only etched the atrocities they committed more vividly into the minds of their victims rather than offering temporary respite from the bloodshed.

Then, one day, a wandering sorcerer by the name of Sih Renaye appeared before us. She reported to have obtained magnificent powers from a locale emanating heretofore-unheard-of natural energies on the sacred Mount Kamihr. She was gracious enough to demonstrate some of her extraordinary abilities—she could turn mere sparks into searing wildfires, rend the earth in twain, make powerful geysers gush forth from the ground, and cause the winds to dance with only the tiniest of motions—and use them to keep our humble population safe from the Velkk's unrestrained violence.

The barrier of energy she erected with the help of her five disciples not only kept the barbaric leader of the Velkk—Skov-Trok—from unleashing his merciless brand of complete and utter destruction upon our people, but rumor has it that the field also exudes some sort of healing force and bestows exceptional powers upon those within it.
Though Sih Renaye was forced to leave this world, her techniques were passed down from generation to generation, and somewhere in its long history, this ability to manipulate the lifestream was eventually given the name "geomancy."

In Search of Ergon Loci

Those who lost their lives in the woods,
Are greeted by the Mother,
Embraced by the soothing notes of her song,

Rocked gently to sleep in the cradle of her mercy,
They return to the land.

Her every word spoken,
Her every action taken,
Her everything given to her children of Adoulin.

Exerpt from the play The Legend of the Siren

The term "ergon locus" is used to describe certain locations from which energies buried within the earth well up and overflow. Those who seek to master the geomantic arts all inevitably must depart on a journey to seek them out and give themselves up to the natural power—ergon—that resides within these veritable veins of strength.

Indicolure spells are one of the most fundamental tenets of geomancy—concurrent with the origins of the art itself. Geomancers, however, were able to enhance their own craft by creating a new type of magic called geocolure, in which concentrated amounts of ergon are summoned through luopans. Geomancy has advanced dramatically over the years, but recently, geomancers have been able to turn luopans into portable devices by applying certain astral substances to their surfaces.

The art is constantly evolving, but one principle remains unchanged over time: geomancers who wish to stand proudly upon the summit of their craft must possess both the mental fortitude with which to shake themselves from the grasp of mortal preoccupations and the drive to simultaneously become one with the vibrations of their handbells and ergon itself.

Illustration: Mitsuhiro Arita
[+]
 Bismarck.Ariyon
Server: Bismarck
user: Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-03-21 12:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically we're going to have to run all over creation looking for energy fonts to learn new abilities?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-21 12:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
The Legend of the Siren

Coincidence?
I don't think so!
[+]
 Leviathan.Suljin
Server: Leviathan
user: Suljin175
By Leviathan.Suljin 2013-03-21 12:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So to unlock its going to be like the smn quest, but with finding the "ergon locus" for each element? That should be fun -_- I hope not. Cool read though!
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-03-21 12:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Suljin said: »
So to unlock its going to be like the smn quest, but with finding the "ergon locus" for each element? That should be fun -_- I hope not. Cool read though!
Actually I rather like the idea. The back story was interesting to read, and it's nice to see that they're putting more effort into the questline that just "Trade me a stack of vellum and 2hr."

Edit: The only complaint I could see happening with this is if the ergon locus only pop up intermittently, like waiting for weather for Summoner. If they're active all the time then I have no complaints.
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-03-21 13:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren new avatar!
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-03-21 13:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ariyon said: »
Actually I rather like the idea. The back story was interesting to read, and it's nice to see that they're putting more effort into the questline that just "Trade me a stack of vellum and 2hr."

Edit: The only complaint I could see happening with this is if the ergon locus only pop up intermittently, like waiting for weather for Summoner. If they're active all the time then I have no complaints.

Honestly the Scholar quest made sense. You have a book, you use magic that is widespread across the land and employ stratagems written in your book. Bind vellum to create a book then learn magic that is commonplace in the Middle Lands.

Nothing really complex about a Scholar from the perspective of the lore.
 Leviathan.Suljin
user: Suljin175
By Leviathan.Suljin 2013-03-21 14:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

No I agree its not a bad idea, as long as they aren't random like smn weather as you mentioned. The only other issue I have is if these points are laid deep within enemy territory. Can you immagine finding 8 places back in the AU right after the expansion if you had to wander through arrapago reef, Halvung, or mamoook without any maps or idea where you were? That would be pretty frustrating. If they aren't too far out (like the equivalent of wajaom and bhaflau thickets that wouldn't seem so bad) Who knows, could go either way!
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-03-21 14:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I'd prefer to log in and already have the job unlocked.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2013-03-21 14:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Taereon said: »
There are actually players who like to do quests, plus it's an MMORPG, so quests are going to be a thing.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-03-21 14:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

im hoping they make non-job quests more rewarding this time around. ToAU and WotG sort of got it right since a lot of them had decent rewards waiting at the end
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-21 15:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I do all the quests!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2013-03-21 15:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
im hoping they make non-job quests more rewarding this time around. ToAU and WotG sort of got it right since a lot of them had decent rewards waiting at the end

I'm also hoping that the beastman king mentioned also has the same flare the ToAU ones did. They are truly stella monster designs!
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2013-03-21 15:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Meathead!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-21 15:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Daffel said: »

I'm also hoping that the beastman king mentioned also has the same flare the ToAU ones did. They are truly stella monster designs!
I IS GURFURLUR AND YOU IS DEAD!!!!
HURRRRRRRRRR
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2013-03-21 15:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Ragnarok.Daffel said: »

I IS GURFURLUR AND YOU IS DEAD!!!!
HURRRRRRRRRR

Gulool Ja Ja (one of the heads): Dead, am I? And you?
Dead as well, I am.
Then finished we are...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Taereon
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-03-21 15:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

There are actually players who like to do quests, plus it's an MMORPG, so quests are going to be a thing.
So is that an offer to do the GEO quest for me, because I don't get why else you would be saying that... I'll inbox you my account info.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2013-03-21 15:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So is that an offer to do the GEO quest for me, because I don't get why else you would be saying that... I'll inbox you my account info.

so pretty much you just want everything handed to you with minimal to no work involved?

Yeah ok...
 Valefor.Esdain
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-03-21 15:36:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically we're going to have to run all over creation looking for energy fonts to learn new abilities?

In before a bunch of level 99 geomancers with zero spells unlocked.

Also, remember when SE was going to give us Cait Sith and Atomos as summonable avatars?

When I read the name Siren, I instantly thought about it as an Avatar, but meh. I'm about to give up hope on any new avatars ever.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-03-21 15:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren is going to be an enemy. Like Bismarck, he's a summon too in his previous incarnation yet only an enemy in XI.

And Hades' gonna be the same.
 Valefor.Esdain
user: esdain
By Valefor.Esdain 2013-03-21 15:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Siren is going to be an enemy.

Yeah. It's pretty much gonna be Ixion all over again. They'll make up some 'news' about it, but then it'll turn out to just be a HNM.

Maybe. Who knows anymore.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-21 15:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

People get way too skeptical of stuff SE puts out under the guise "Well you know SE..." Yeah, I know them to put out an MMO that people still play after 11 years and constant bitching. Clearly their product is spot on if people are still enjoying it. Let the content come out, THEN scrutinize it to death lol.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Taereon
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-03-21 15:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

Meathead!
Leviathan.Catnipthief said: »

so pretty much you just want everything handed to you with minimal to no work involved?

Yeah ok...

Should have clicked the spoiler, but thanks for playing.
 Ragnarok.Taereon
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2013-03-21 15:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

Meathead!
Thank you.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-03-21 16:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Esdain said: »
You seem to be misunderstanding me, I'm not complaining about the concept at all. I was just making sure I was interpreting it correctly.

Nothing really complex about a Scholar from the perspective of the lore.
That's exactly my point though. It's like SE wasn't even really trying when they did the SCH quest. DNC at least made you go places. (Besides the Auction House)
By Gimp 2013-03-21 16:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

our first emo support job! now coupled with our emo utility and our emo utility jobs!

(drk are posers because they buy their stuff!)
 Bismarck.Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2013-03-21 16:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

No I agree its not a bad idea, as long as they aren't random like smn weather as you mentioned. The only other issue I have is if these points are laid deep within enemy territory. Can you immagine finding 8 places back in the AU right after the expansion if you had to wander through arrapago reef, Halvung, or mamoook without any maps or idea where you were? That would be pretty frustrating. If they aren't too far out (like the equivalent of wajaom and bhaflau thickets that wouldn't seem so bad) Who knows, could go either way!
The only real problem with wandering those areas back in the day was that you had to worry about bumping into truesight/sound mobs and getting mowed down in the middle of nowhere. If you could safely sneak/invis through the areas I don't think it'd be as much of an issue.

Inb4 SE surrounds the locus with a bunch of truesight/sound mobs like the archaic mirrors. <_<;