So whats monk playing now /war?
 Asura.Friedrik
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-01-22 16:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Khimeria said: »
Could you drop your answers in here as well please Friedrik i'd be curious to here them (or via DM please if you don't want to put them in this channel.

Sure, I only answered him on discord because I saw he'd posted here and we're in a few together.

TP legs and feet:

Yes, you can get your kick rate up to almost 100%, and basically guarantee an extra hit each round. Kenda +1 really isn't horribly far behind though.

Zerg scenario:

Spam VS at 1k when you actually have impetus stacks, otherwise use TK with footwork and +kick attack gear at ~1900TP(GH)/~2400TP(Vere), or default to HF/RF/TK at the same TP breakpoints if neither of those are up. Howling Fist has a 50% attack bonus, so if you aren't capped its stronger than RF/TK.

WAR subjob:

Berserk/warcry are still pretty good where frailty falls short, 10% DA isn't amazing with Kenda out there but still worth something; maybe /DRG has some merit for threat dumping on disjoined and the 7% WSD bonus across all hits. I don't really know for sure.

Skillchains:

SimonSes said: »

Generally yes, but:
1. If skillchain damage is not reduced and you are solo and duo, then you should probably take advantage of skillchains.

Few solo self skillchains to consider:
Asuran > TK|Raging|Howling > VS > VS - Fusion>Light>DoubleLight (You can add TK|Raging|Howling at start to make it 5step and start with Liquefaction. You can also add TK>TK or Shijin>Raging|Howling to make it 6 step and add Imapction > Liquefaction at start)
TK > TK > TK - Impaction > Detonation
Shijin > VS > VS - Light > DoubleLight
(Godhands only) Shijin > TK > Shijin > Shijin > Shijin Induration > Fragmentation > Light > Radiance (Can start with TK too for 4 step instead and can also add Howling Fist at start for 6 step :o)

2. If you are not at attack cap, then Howling should be almost always better than Raging. Even if you are close to attack cap at lets say 3.5 pDif, then Howling Fist with +2 neck will be better than Raging with Gorget.

Most of this information was discussed in the last 40ish pages of the thread, there's quite a bit to sort through.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-01-22 16:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ve been having good fun with /DRG but you need support. If you can’t hit the pDIF marks, or at least get close, probably better off using WAR sub.

But that’s purely a DPS standpoint.

WAR sub for tanking/Assist tank
RUN sub for tanking/Magic Evasion purposes (was super popular for Delve)
NIN sub if you MUST have shadows.

Anddd. For a party scenario that’s all I can viably think of at the moment lol.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-01-22 17:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Friedrik said: »
Most of this information was discussed in the last 40ish pages of the thread, there's quite a bit to sort through.

Forum has a search function that works really well... simply typing in skillchain or weaponskill set etc pops up the most recent posts... very easy
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-01-22 17:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Again

Asura.Friedrik said: »
Why even bother replying with this. It takes 30 seconds to answer these questions (which I just did for him in discord)
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-01-22 17:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering I just taught people how to use the search function while you just said they had to fish through 40 pages warrants a post...

Dont be a ***
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-01-22 17:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Considering I just taught people how to use the search function while you just said they had to fish through 40 pages warrants a post...

Dont be a ***

I gave him the answers he was looking for, you chose to be a ***. You know, putting the discussion in the discussion thread.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-01-22 17:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed friend...

Again the search function is there for a reason. Learning how to use it will go a long way for people vs hand feeding them anytime they need a answer...
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-01-22 18:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed friend...

Again the search function is there for a reason. Learning how to use it will go a long way for people vs hand feeding them anytime they need a answer...

It took just as much time to type out what he needed as it did to handwave him off to the search function.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-01-22 18:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you getting worked up about this lol...

Search function is very easy to use and its simple. In fact you can use it on any job thread. Relax
 Asura.Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-01-22 18:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you getting worked up about this lol...

Search function is very easy to use and its simple. In fact you can use it on any job thread. Relax

I'm going to leave you to it, otherwise we'll sit here and clog the thread for pages where you respond with different variations of "lol y u mad tho???"

People ask questions in a discussion thread. Some people try to answer helpfully, others obviously don't.
 Phoenix.Oyama
Server: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-01-22 18:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Who's getting worked up? You don't want to hand feed answers to questions, he has no problem doing it. Done.

OP: Kenda+1 is generally a good bet for most slots, but you can still optimize for the situation. The MEVA is the strongest argument in favor of using it over other options, not necessarily pure dps output.

I only use Relic legs and AF feet during footwork. I'm sure damage is fine with them full time but I tp noticeably slower, so I reserve it for when Berserk/Impetus is up and I can get 100% kick rate so I get more bang for the buck.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-22 19:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

it's totally fine to skip relic and artifact legs/feet as a DPS option. Considering enfeebles, you probably come out ahead with more meva anyways
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-22 23:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not fine to skip AF+3 feet.
By SimonSes 2020-01-23 01:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »

Yeah, you can skip them for TP, but shouldnt for TK/DK ws sets (edit: under Footwork ofc)
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-23 03:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Should be noted that if someone is looking for an inventory-saving compromise to use only during WS, maybe "Shukuyu sune-ate" could be an acceptable alternative/compromise?

It's clearly inferior, but it's better than nothing and since you're likely gonna have a pair of them regardless to equip on Footwork Activation to boost the Kick % rate, might as well use them for WS if you're really so adamant non not getting Anchorite+3 for whatever reason.

Furthermore I want to remind that if someone doesn't want to go through all the process of AF feet > Ilevel AF feet > +2 > +3, you can get a pair of +2 DIRECTLY from the Deeds guy with a +2 Voucher, don't remember how many Deeds you need for that but can check in the Deeds page on BG-wiki.
By SimonSes 2020-01-23 03:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw if we are on topic of kicking and we have a lot of new bandwagon MNKs here, I would like to reminder you that kicks ARE NOT working while Hundred Fists is active.
[+]
 Asura.Chendar
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2020-01-23 04:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the answers guys! I don't know who went about putting those sets in the community guide over on bg-wiki, but if asking questions bothers people in here, would it be a good idea to put some basic info on some of this in there too? Like strongest ws options and optimal tp values for them and stuff like that? Now I don't mind doing my own research and I generally try to keep up with the job job threads for all my jobs on here, but it can genuinely be really hard to track down the info you want in these 300page+ threads when the original post isn't getting any updates.

Asura.Sechs said: »
Furthermore I want to remind that if someone doesn't want to go through all the process of AF feet > Ilevel AF feet > +2 > +3, you can get a pair of +2 DIRECTLY from the Deeds guy with a +2 Voucher, don't remember how many Deeds you need for that but can check in the Deeds page on BG-wiki.
This is exactly what I did. Takes 310 deeds so that's like 8 months of doing those monthlies, but if you're doing then anyway it's a really nice bonus. +1 at 110 deeds is also nice timesaver if you're not at 300+ yet.

Btw if we are on topic of kicking and we have a lot of new bandwagon MNKs here, I would like to reminder you that kicks ARE NOT working while Hundred Fists is active.
Thanks, this is just the kind of stuff I was hoping to get from here.
 Phoenix.Oyama
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-01-23 08:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
... Footwork Activation to boost the Kick % rate ...

BG shows the bird boots' bonus to Footwork as increasing the attack bonus from Footwork, not kick activation rate. Was this changed/tested to be otherwise?
By SimonSes 2020-01-23 08:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Oyama said: »
Quote:
... Footwork Activation to boost the Kick % rate ...

BG shows the bird boots' bonus to Footwork as increasing the attack bonus from Footwork, not kick activation rate. Was this changed/tested to be otherwise?

AFAIK it's still attack. Sechs was probably just writing while being tired :D
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-23 08:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm yeah it's the attack bonus granted by Footwork of course, not sure why I wrote % rate ><
But the base logic still stands regardless of my silly mistake. You're likely to have to keep those in inventory for the Footwork bonus on activation, so if you're so badly looking for an inventory-saving compromise to use exclusively on DK/TK when Footwork is up, I guess you can use those.
Better than nothing, no?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-01-23 10:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »

Yeah, you can skip them for TP, but shouldnt for TK/DK ws sets (edit: under Footwork ofc)

You're still making them, lol
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-23 10:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Context matters. the question originally asked was about TP sets and whether it was necessary to use relic legs/artifact feet for Max DPS, even when FW is down. You can skip them for TP DPS, that is the response to that question. No mention of kicking WS from poster. Obviously if you're prioritizing FW kicking WS you would make them. Never said "don't make them".
 Phoenix.Jakarai
user: jakarai
By Phoenix.Jakarai 2020-01-23 13:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
Phoenix.Jakarai said: »
Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
Couldn't seem to get either one to work, using this outdated lua I found online. Gave up and just put Ask Sash in my idle set =(

This is the Lua I use and I can't get it to equip mnk body while impetus is up anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I added this:
Code
	function customize_melee_set(meleeSet)
    if buffactive.impetus then
        meleeSet= set_combine(meleeSet, {body="Bhikku Cyclas +1"})
    end

return meleeSet
end

and to have Body in for VS when Impetus is up;
Code
	function job_post_precast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
    if spell.type == 'WeaponSkill' then
        if buffactive.impetus and (spell.english == "Victory Smite" or spell.english == "Ascetic's Fury") then
            equip(sets.precast.impWS)
        end
    end
end
Code
	sets.precast.impWS   = {
	ammo="Knobkierrie",
    head={ name="Adhemar Bonnet +1", augments={'DEX+12','AGI+12','Accuracy+20',}},
    body="Bhikku Cyclas +1",
    hands={ name="Ryuo Tekko +1", augments={'STR+12','DEX+12','Accuracy+20',}},
    legs="Ken. Hakama +1",
    feet="Ken. Sune-Ate +1",
    neck="Fotia Gorget",
    waist="Moonbow Belt +1",
    left_ear="Sherida Earring",
    right_ear={ name="Moonshade Earring", augments={'Attack+4','TP Bonus +250',}},
    left_ring="Niqmaddu Ring",
    right_ring="Gere Ring",
    back={ name="Segomo's Mantle", augments={'STR+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','STR+10','"Dbl.Atk."+10',}},
	}

Half the ***in that .lua never seemed to work properly, but it was the only one I was able to find at the time.

Thanks! it works now!
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-01-23 15:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chendar said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
This is exactly what I did. Takes 310 deeds so that's like 8 months of doing those monthlies, but if you're doing then anyway it's a really nice bonus. +1 at 110 deeds is also nice timesaver if you're not at 300+ yet.

Great suggestions, guys. Real time saver, and as Chendar mentioned - even if you haven't been keeping up to day with all 40 points/month since the start of Deeds, 110 is a lot more manageable and is still a really nice time/money saver if you didn't already have iLv 119 AF pieces. I just recently leveled DRG to 99 for fun and had never done any of the AF quests, and it was super nice to start off with a full 119 AF set at no cost.

Also... do the deeds stuff, yo. It's a pretty trivial monthly time investment for some nice stuff: mars/venus orbs, glowy weapon to make a final stage Ambuscade weapon, lots of ANV keys, full 109 AF set, 5 pieces (mix-and-match) of 119 and 119 +2 AF gear. And we're closing in on the cipher for those who've been keeping up (March update).

Valefor.Yandaime said: »
I’ve been having good fun with /DRG but you need support. If you can’t hit the pDIF marks, or at least get close, probably better off using WAR sub.

TBF, it sounds like you're assuming use of Berserk to hit that pDIF - so the associated defensive penalty is not a non-issue. You did specifically say that your comments were strictly from a DPS perspective, but I think it's worth stressing that point for people who might be overlooking it. If we're talking about things like Ken+1 set having an advantage of a lot of Meva, stuff like Def-25% is also pretty darn important!

I really like /DRG a lot for many of my DPS jobs these days, including MNK. Like you said, it really shines the most when you have atk+ buff support. But even when you don't, /DRG doesn't fall THAT far behind thanks to 7% WSD on all hits of every WS. And jumps to shed hate are a nifty little bonus too!
By huttburt<3 2020-01-23 21:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
I used MNK properly for the first time since patch yesterday. R0 Godhands and 5/5 Ken+1 for TP and WS, +1 belt, basic stuff. The damage was crazy. I just used TK and did 40-50k consistently on Kin (64k max).
You need +3 feet for TK
[+]
 Phoenix.Jakarai
user: jakarai
By Phoenix.Jakarai 2020-01-24 01:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
I just have something that will equip Ask Sash for Boost and disable the waist slot, and will unlock the waist slot when either Boost wears off or a WS is performed. My MNK lua is just a modified Bokura lua.

Here's a scrub way of doing it from someone that regularly gets made of for their lua editing:
Code
sets.JA.Boost = {hands="Anchor. Gloves +3",waist="Ask Sash"}
Code
function precast(spell,action)
        if spell.type == "WeaponSkill" then
		enable('waist')
[...]
	if spell.english == "Boost" then
		disable('waist')
	end
Code
function buff_change(buff,gain)
    if buff == "Boost" and not gain then
        enable('waist')
    end

as watusa said i tried both these methods also and couldnt get either to work but i also have an issue that after i use boost with ask sash equipped my character either wont engage mobs for about 10 seconds or wont attack while in engaged for about 10 seconds.
By SimonSes 2020-01-24 02:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Jakarai said: »
i also have an issue that after i use boost with ask sash equipped my character either wont engage mobs for about 10 seconds or wont attack while in engaged for about 10 seconds.

Not sure if sarcasm or not, but you just described how boost works :)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-24 02:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

huttburt<3 said: »
DirectX said: »
I used MNK properly for the first time since patch yesterday. R0 Godhands and 5/5 Ken+1 for TP and WS, +1 belt, basic stuff. The damage was crazy. I just used TK and did 40-50k consistently on Kin (64k max).
You need +3 feet for TK
+3 is the Best in Slot, but it's not the only ilevel feet equipment boosting DK/TK damage during Footwork.
And we're talking about something that you use max for 1 minute every 5.
It's definitely a noticeable boost but I wouldn't say it's an unavoidable part of playing MNK to acceptable levels.

Plus, as I said, there are alternatives.
I'm in no way advocating NOT getting AF feet +3, I'm a long time fan of them. I just wouldn't define them as the biggest priority for someone who's slowly trying to build up their MNK to decent levels.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 310 311 312 ... 363 364 365