Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Archon Ring vs Shadow Ring
Archon Ring vs Shadow Ring
By Galmegamus 2013-02-27 03:13:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks was wondering if its been discussed at what rate Archon Ring Annuls Severe magic damage as opposed to Shadow Ring which annuls magic damage at a 13% rate I have both rings however I also have a defending ring which I use for tanking purposes so its one or the other for me on anything magic heavy any information would be appreciated thanks in advance.

P.S Yes trolls we all are aware PLD is a dead job right now so thanks for your unhelpful input in advance as well.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2013-02-27 03:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You shouldn't ever be taking severe magic damage on PLD in the first place, so Archon seems kinda useless. Shadow Ring is just a great piece to have.

Also, I'm willing to bet PLD will be in demand when Adoulin comes out. At very least until players figure out behaviors on new HNM type mobs.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2013-02-27 03:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats what I'm thinking Shadow Ring seems like its more useful atm and we know it has a 13% annul rate Archon Ring has no info on its annul rate that I have seen so looks like I'll use it on BLM lol
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2013-02-27 03:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

all you really need to know is shadow annuls all dmg no matter if it was going to 1 shot you or if it was going to do 1 dmg, archon only annuls something that was going to 1 shot you aka the magic migawari effect. archon ring i only ever used it for dark magic acc but for pld i used shadow ring, and also i had an aegis so i wasnt taking much dmg anyways to begin with... so shadows better and it activates to the naked eye often enough to be sexy in general

edit: archon on drk for the dark magic acc is what i meant since duh pld dont use dark magic spells...
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2013-02-27 03:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for the input and yeah I have Aegis & Ochain so yeah magic damage taken is never really an issue for me I was just more so curious about the annul rate on archon vs shadow but I totally agree shadow ring is indeed sexy for what it does.
By Heimdel 2013-02-27 03:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya I think blu sch and evan oor makes more use of the dark magic bonuses than any job would of the dmg blocking.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-02-27 03:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Ring > Archon for PLD

Archon only nice for Magic bonus (IF u still need it, by now you should be fine anyways w/o it)
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2013-02-27 05:34:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: I think I misunderstood the post. Never mind me.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-02-27 06:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Archon Ring is only really useful for landing and making dark based spells hit harder. Beyond that, Shadow Ring ins
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2013-02-27 07:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Stupid question - but would archon ring and shadow ring annul stack?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-27 08:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I would assume they would both get "rolls" to see if they take effect. I have no idea which would take precedence or in what order.

If you were wearing both and eat a "severe damage attack" i would think that shadow would check first and if it missed archon would get a chance to "sherzo" the damage.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-02-27 08:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I would assume they would both get "rolls" to see if they take effect. I have no idea which would take precedence or in what order.

If you were wearing both and eat a "severe damage attack" i would think that shadow would check first and if it missed archon would get a chance to "sherzo" the damage.

um...... could you test it out ?

It would be smart thing to macro in for when fighting a Magic based NM such as a BLM or something that spam Casts Powerful Magic

If so, I guess it be a nice Idea to Stack em both
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-02-27 08:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well uh... we'd have to first establish what % of your hp would have to be done by the magic damage to trigger the ring. THEN I'd have to find a monster that's going to nuke me for somewhere in the vacinity of anywhere from ~50% (assumption) anywhere up to 99% of my hp (another assumption).

Then I'd have to eat that attack a couple dozen times to get an idea of the rate that the ring prevents severe attacks.

THEN i would have to eat enough attacks to get a large enough sample size to prove without a doubt that the rings were or were not stacking.

I'd rather just keep archon in my dark magic sets only because:

1) If i think back to every nuke I've eaten since my first ADL, I can't think of a single time I lost even 70% of my life in one shot (or would have without mdt/dt on).

2) If i used the ring at all, I would use it in a mdt set which might push me above the threshhold of the ring working.

3) If I just put a dark ring, or some other mdt piece, in that slot the 4-6% damage mitigated on every spell cast on me is going to drastically outweigh the MAYBE 10% chance to nullify a nuke I've decided I might eat 0.05% of the time i eat nukes.

There was a time I was that masochistic.... today is not that day. If you wanna use it for the fun effect or whatever do horns of war or something and let me know. Sadly, I'm all out of seals T.T