First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: AkiKrylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 12:00:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Greetings all.

I have plenty of experience farming dreamlands for coins and know that it is pretty much the accepted/expected way to farm currency. I average ~175 on my THF/DNC on EP mobs in qufim/bubu/valk but know that others get much higher which is a total separate discussion and something that I need to figure out xD.

My main point is I have heard some talk of people going into Jeuno and spamming the NMs for 100 coins and having some good success (not sure where I read it now as it was a few days back but someone reported getting between 5-7 100 coins a run solo).

How viable is this? I'm sure there will be days where you get jacksh*t which may bring your average coins/week back down to where dreamlands is more consistent but it may be an option for those days where CoP zones are just crowded as hell.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 12:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thought - I'm assuming the TE are very tough to deal with here since the zone is very cramped so a well geared BLU can one shot statues from a distance, possibly making this easier.

You are losing a lot of TH in the process but it may even out time:coin wise.
 Asura.Jkun
Server: Asura
user: CiermeL
By Asura.Jkun 2013-01-29 12:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

If I understood it correctly, it's not really meant for solo. It involves doing a sac pull using Flee and other mvt speed+ from the palace aaaall the way back to where MB's ??? is, aggroing as many NMs as you can. Since NMs won't depop, as long as you have a BRD keeping them busy with Lullabies and Hymnus you just pick them off one by one on your other char. TE farming presumably done the same.

Sounds terrible to me if that's how it really works.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 12:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

That does sound terrible if that is the strategy. I remember it being difficult to claim anything without linking an entire group of mobs but I may try this out tonight and see what happens.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sirtwitchalot
By Quetzalcoatl.Sirtwitchalot 2013-01-29 13:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I use to spam Jeuno prior to doing Dreamlands. We would average 4 100s and 150 singles/ run. Our highest was 8 100s. There was no SAC pulling, was simply sleep the pets and hide everything else. Everything depops except the NMs. If you don't sleep the pets then hide fails and you are ***. With that said, Dreamlands is still better. We average 600-650/run split 2 ways, and its alot more reliable/ consistant. As far as solo, I dont think its worth doing Jeuno solo.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 13:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reply, Twitch. As you know on Quetz, CoP is always packed to the brim and I never log on at a good time it seems.

Usually goes.... oh, 25 in valkrum? > oh, 27 in bubu? > oh, 17 in qufim?

Guess I'm not doing dynamis tonight....

{Hmmm.} Wonder if Tav is an option....
 Cerberus.Rizla
Server: Cerberus
user: Mystil
By Cerberus.Rizla 2013-01-29 13:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I do RDM BRD THF (Boxing) works well for me, not really sure how ud pull off 150 singles + 4 100's in a run unless u had multiple people as im pretty much in time with all NM pops there isnt time to waste killing NQ mobs. Solo wouldnt be worth it all. Plus Palace is a much better camp than Mega-Boss as u have the SAM and NIN inside to pull also. + any NMs at the very back from other peoples runs.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-29 13:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Tavnazia can accommodate 2, maybe 3, soloers at the most so it's a very hit-or-miss option.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 13:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Tavnazia can accommodate 2, maybe 3, soloers at the most so it's a very hit-or-miss option.

But if you were to have it to yourself, is the coin rate about the same as valk/qufim/bubu?
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-29 13:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Krylon said: »

But if you were to have it to yourself, is the coin rate about the same as valk/qufim/bubu?
Tavnazia farming kinda sucks. Camps are far too small, so you kill your camp and then you either run to the next or wait for repops. Either way you end up spending a lot of extra time not in combat. However, anything can be a lot better than competing against 20+ people in a dreamland zone.

Another thing about Tavnazia... the TE's are far more dangerous/difficult to get.

With dreamland zones, it's usually much better to do the camps that aren't as popular when there are many people in there. Of course, if your real life schedule has the option, going in the early afternoon is the best time to go in. On Sylph, I usually walk in to Valkurm around noon... maybe 12:30 EST or so, and there's usually like 2-3 soloers and maybe a duo when I go in. I have no competition 90% of the time I run dynamis if I go in at this time. I can go in as late as 2pm EST and rarely have competition too. The crowds usually start coming in around 4-5 EST and they don't go away until around 2am. The Japanese start crowding dynamis around 3-4am so I wouldn't suggest trying to do late night runs either, although it's much better than prime time.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-29 13:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're there alone, you can make it *** rain. Mobs have low health and can drop up to 5 singles (albeit rarely).

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Tavnazia farming kinda sucks. Camps are far too small, so you kill your camp and then you either run to the next or wait for repops. Either way you end up spending a lot of extra time not in combat. However, anything can be a lot better than competing against 20+ people in a dreamland zone.

Another thing about Tavnazia... the TE's are far more dangerous/difficult to get.
Alone I can pretty much kill fast/slow enough to keep up with repops. You dualbox don't you? That would definitely cause one to clear the camps too quickly.

Only TE I have problems with is the stupid eye. Takes some patience/luck to avoid a link and not die from a single nuke :|
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-29 13:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You dualbox don't you? That would definitely cause one to clear the camps too quickly.
Yeah. My experience is with the decent challenge camps. It's dumb though.
- Whiteshell - only 8 leeches. I usually kill them and then run downstairs and clear the worms trying to avoid aggro from the statues.
- Byne bill - this is the worst. only 8 bees which are easy prey, and then 2 bugards which are also easy prey. I'll usually try to WS proc some worms while waiting on repop.
- Bronzepiece - 9 Clusters. Also gotta be really really careful because self destruct rapes. I take my time on these and make sure I proc before I let them get a tp move off, but I still end up waiting on repops. Fish aren't an option because you have to run through the True Sight Taurus' just to get to 5 EP mobs.

Overall, I just found the whole zone really distasteful. The only reason I even would go back there would be to farm Arch Diablos pops.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 14:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »

With dreamland zones, it's usually much better to do the camps that aren't as popular when there are many people in there. Of course, if your real life schedule has the option, going in the early afternoon is the best time to go in. On Sylph, I usually walk in to Valkurm around noon... maybe 12:30 EST or so, and there's usually like 2-3 soloers and maybe a duo when I go in. I have no competition 90% of the time I run dynamis if I go in at this time. I can go in as late as 2pm EST and rarely have competition too. The crowds usually start coming in around 4-5 EST and they don't go away until around 2am. The Japanese start crowding dynamis around 3-4am so I wouldn't suggest trying to do late night runs either, although it's much better than prime time.
This is pretty much the problem. Fulltime job means I can only log on after 5 PM EST, and thats on days I am even home. On days I am not home, I usually log on around 10:30-11 PM EST and try to sneak in dyna before bed/work the next day.

It is the worst possible time of the day to try dyna. On days I work from home, Dyna @ 8:30 AM EST and then immediately after 11:00 AM is great. Very low numbers at those times but that is not the normal occurrence.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-01-29 14:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace BLU opens up some alternate camps like flytraps and sabotenders due to stunlock/plague. Most farmers keep away from those due to the nasty tp moves.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2013-01-29 14:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fulltime job means I can only log on after 5 PM EST, and thats on days I am even home. On days I am not home, I usually log on around 10:30-11 PM EST and try to sneak in dyna before bed/work the next day.
Sounds like you should just forego dynamis and depend more on afk-money making ventures. Spending most of your play time just to make a mil or 2 doesn't sound like much fun honestly =/

I start a new job in March where I'll be doing normal work hours again. When that happens, I plan to quit my during-the-week dynamis runs and start skilling up my fishing.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-01-29 14:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to pull 200+ in Tav dualbox without going downstairs during Bynes. I'd just WS proc the leeches. When you run out of leeches, you can pull the JA proc demons from the end of those tunnels too.

The biggest problem in Tav is that some people don't realize there's really only one camp for a duo(/dualbox), so you risk getting your run spoiled by people that either can't use /sea or enjoy getting ***currency/hour when they camp on top of you. There's no backup camp, basically.
 Midgardsormr.Sirtwitchalot
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Sirtwitchalot 2013-01-29 15:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Rizla said: »
I do RDM BRD THF (Boxing) works well for me, not really sure how ud pull off 150 singles + 4 100's in a run unless u had multiple people as im pretty much in time with all NM pops there isnt time to waste killing NQ mobs. Solo wouldnt be worth it all. Plus Palace is a much better camp than Mega-Boss as u have the SAM and NIN inside to pull also. + any NMs at the very back from other peoples runs.

We camp at Mega Boss and our pulls included the Palce NMs. Had a pull evyer 5 mins roughly, we were always waiting on hide timer and my partner had capped hide merits just for farming this zone. First pull was AH MNK NM, the THF/WHM NM and and NM from in front of the palace that was close enough. prior to pull we would kill the BST closest to the mega boss in the way of our pull to avoid having to sleep an extra pet. after pull we would kill a Zone Boss.

2nd pull was opposite side. We would get the PLD/BRD NM, WAR NM and SMN NM. Keep in mind that there is a the random BST/RNG NMs that pop too. And once again we kill the NQ BST closest to camp to avoid having to sleep an extra pet.

So every 5 mins we would kill anywhere between 2-5 NMs, the NQ BST closest to camp and the mega Boss and still wait on a merited hide timer to do the next pull. By altering pulls it reduces the wait time on repops and you are generally non-stop killing NMs. And yes this was trio(MNK,THF, dual boxed mage for sleeps) with a mage mule obviously for sleeping pets. Everything killed drops singles so yeah its possible(as it was our average as previously stated) to get 150 singles and 4 100s.

On that note we had some terrible days were we would only get 1-2 100s, but keep in mind it was pre Dreamlands so it was great at the time.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2013-01-29 15:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

On Quetz, try for Qufim. If you can get a partner, do DC mobs near Jeuno. Most JP will not touch them unless they're doing trials; everyone hoards the EP mobs. BLU and THF should easily be able to destroy everything over there no problem. Just check search comments; the JP will note if they're doing the DC ones for trials, but that area is usually a ghost town at the times you're suggesting.

If you can only do solo, BLU or BST can destroy Tavnazia. On Quetz, Tav is usually empty at the times you're saying. You may have 1 or 2 BST tops but trust me, I usually do a lot of trials in Tav and its usually empty around 11 PM EST. There's the occasional BST or duo, but if you use a search comment, it might stop the JPs from camping on you. Keep in mind it'll be slow in there if they decide to enter, so you may just want to take your chances with what you're currently doing.

Not sure what your runs are like, but I STRONGLY suggest you don't do Valkurm DC mobs at the times you list. That area is the WORST place; anywhere else you may have 1, maybe 2 people to compete with on the worst days. Honestly, DC mobs are less camped than EP, just keep that in mind.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 15:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the suggestions guys, much appreciated. Based on the feedback I am going to try Tav on BLU and see how that goes. Will report back here!
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-01-29 15:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Small note before you do Tavnazia; the mobs are immune to plague in there.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-29 15:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

That is a huge thing to note...that is somewhat disappointing ; ;

Meh. Delta is still pretty damn good damage/MP.
By Aeyela 2013-01-29 20:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I did a lot of Tavnazia farming for my Annihilator and I'd like to share my two gil about the zone.

Contrary to what others have said, I believe Tavnazia is one of the easiest zones to get the TEs in. You can wait for the two time extenders in the Hydra areas to come close to the edge and pull them from the ramp. Failing that, I quite often provoke or shoot them from up top next to the hydras and then immediately jig. I always have time to run back down the ramp, with jig still active, and not aggro anything. Just make sure you occasionally throw your boomerang at them or something because they like to despawn annoyingly. The eye is, as mentioned, a pain. However I always ensure I'm going to the eye with 100+ TP so I save it for last and build TP on the extender by the Worms. The TE down by the Taurus is more about luck than timing. I usually leroy through and hope for the best, killing any I aggro before killing the extender. If you do aggro any they won't respawn before you come back from killing the TE, making it much easier to avoid aggro on the way back up.

I have only died getting TEs in Tavnazia once in lord knows how many tries.

Assuming the zone is empty (I never enter if there's anyone inside) I go between Bees, Worms and Bombs. If you're paying attention you can stun Self Destruct. Occasionally it will miss and you'll die. No problem, it happens. I usually camp at the top of the ramp so that I know I'll be safe to reraise if I do get killed. I never bother with Demons. They take longer to kill and I find them to be a pain in the arse since most of them spam Hecatomb Wave which is, like, ten times more powerful than their physical attacks. Taurus are fine. The random proc on them is not, however. Bees are easy except for Final Sting but by the time they use it they're usually nearly dead. Worms are very ordinary but be sure you're keeping an eye on links. When a few of them are spamming Stonega III they start to hurt.

After a few weeks I changed from NIN/DNC to DNC/THF and have even better success. With my 2-4 hit dagger farming weapon skill monsters is a very viable option. I farm more as DNC/THF in Valkurm than I ever did THF/DNC camping during weapon skill times. I avoid the crowds that way, so I thought I'd try it in Tavnazia. If you don't feel like occasionally dying to Self Destruct (since it's going to happen now and then) you can stay at Bees during Weapon Skill time.

Providing nobody else is in the zone, the Bees, Bombs and Worms will just about support a soloer. A dual box or more and you'll be better off doing another zone. As much as I love Tavnazia that's the sad truth about it. If there's a single other person in the zone it is not worth your time unless you're specifically aiming for weapon skill staggers - in which case you'd be better off in another dreamland.

Oh, and the added bonus that the majority of bandwagon Dynamis BST characters don't have Tavnazia access makes it even more appealing.
 Sylph.Mesheef
user: Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2013-01-29 20:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

what would be the best zone to farm 100's from nm's, what job and what nm? I dont have the greatest exp in dyna i only avg about 150-175 in there. and i have never seen a 100 piece in any of the zones i have been in. i have bst, no perle, i have full th thf and some of the thaumas gear, i have dnc, nin etc. but would like to attempt to farm 100's over singles all the time
By Aeyela 2013-01-29 20:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

From experience, Bastok. From hearsay, Jeuno.

In Bastok there are two NMs you should target: Ko'Dho Cannonball (MNK) at the end of Ore Street up on the ledge by the extender and Ze'Vho Fellsplitter (DRK) behind the Auction House. Stagger both and they can drop 100s. Our personal best (I went with a friend) was 5 100s in a single run.

If you happen to have a White Mage mule with you, go to the Stables and fight the Summoner. Sleep the avatar and spam Dia on the NM until he staggers then kill him. I don't recommend bothering without a magic stagger because 1) Astral Flow hurts without Shell and 2) you probably won't get 100s without one.
 Sylph.Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2013-01-29 20:26:42
Link | Quote | Reply

cool thanks, and i do have a friends account he allows me to dyna with.

edit: lol i edited mine after i saw your edit.

what pop times are those nms or are they force pop?
By Aeyela 2013-01-29 20:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mesheef said: »
which nms did you do and what job did you go?

Sorry, edited my post. I realised it was a bit vague. :-)
By Aeyela 2013-01-29 20:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mesheef said: »
cool thanks, and i do have a friends account he allows me to dyna with.

edit: lol i edited mine after i saw your edit.

what pop times are those nms or are they force pop?

They spawn every 10-15 minutes I believe. Timed spawns, no conditions.
 Sylph.Mesheef
By Sylph.Mesheef 2013-01-29 20:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

sweet thanks

oh what job did you go? i can dual box whm and thf if that is best option
By Aeyela 2013-01-29 20:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

THF and WHM would be perfect. Expect good results with that. The biggest problem with farming Bastok is a couple of the extenders can be arses.
 Quetzalcoatl.Krylon
By Quetzalcoatl.Krylon 2013-01-30 09:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
I did a lot of Tavnazia farming for my Annihilator and I'd like to share my two gil about the zone.

Contrary to what others have said, I believe Tavnazia is one of the easiest zones to get the TEs in. You can wait for the two time extenders in the Hydra areas to come close to the edge and pull them from the ramp. Failing that, I quite often provoke or shoot them from up top next to the hydras and then immediately jig. I always have time to run back down the ramp, with jig still active, and not aggro anything. Just make sure you occasionally throw your boomerang at them or something because they like to despawn annoyingly. The eye is, as mentioned, a pain. However I always ensure I'm going to the eye with 100+ TP so I save it for last and build TP on the extender by the Worms. The TE down by the Taurus is more about luck than timing. I usually leroy through and hope for the best, killing any I aggro before killing the extender. If you do aggro any they won't respawn before you come back from killing the TE, making it much easier to avoid aggro on the way back up.

I have only died getting TEs in Tavnazia once in lord knows how many tries.

Assuming the zone is empty (I never enter if there's anyone inside) I go between Bees, Worms and Bombs. If you're paying attention you can stun Self Destruct. Occasionally it will miss and you'll die. No problem, it happens. I usually camp at the top of the ramp so that I know I'll be safe to reraise if I do get killed. I never bother with Demons. They take longer to kill and I find them to be a pain in the arse since most of them spam Hecatomb Wave which is, like, ten times more powerful than their physical attacks. Taurus are fine. The random proc on them is not, however. Bees are easy except for Final Sting but by the time they use it they're usually nearly dead. Worms are very ordinary but be sure you're keeping an eye on links. When a few of them are spamming Stonega III they start to hurt....etc etc etc

Thanks for this breakdown!

What would you say your average coins/run was while doing this?
First Page 2