Shield Mastery (trait)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Shield Mastery (trait)
Shield Mastery (trait)
First Page 2
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 13:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted this on official forums as well, hoping the devs might see it.

TL;DR: I love my paladin, but god it kills slow

Quote:
Love this trait, always have, but god Paladin kills soooo slow these days. I had an idea for a change.

First, the block factor stopping casting from being interrupted is great and fine, leave that that way.

How about when we block, our next swing triple attacks (or perhaps just double attacks). Make this stack with WS too, so a true TA/DA buff.

In lowman/trivial content, paladins might choose to gear more DD. I'd probably use berserk and aggressor, deliberately to lower my evasion, so I blocked more.

Properly timed, which wouldn't be hard, it would make our ws's consistency better.

In high-tier content, where DT should be* our concern, we wouldn't care as much about DD stats so we'd miss a lot of those double swings.

* I hope Adoulin makes tanks relevant again and stops giving us tonics/drinks for everything.

I do realize that this change would make Ochain even more desirable, but as I have both, I'm okay with that.

TL;DR: I love my paladin, but god it kills slow
 Bahamut.Rhythms
Server: Bahamut
user: Zeraphion
By Bahamut.Rhythms 2013-01-23 13:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe a JA that would do this for 30 seconds on a 10 minute cool down, maybe.

Asking for this to be added to the "Shield Mastery" trait full time is asking for way too much.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-23 13:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As much fun as this would be, SE has said flat out, repeatedly, that they are not boosting Paladin offensive capabilities. They've just announced (on the JP forums) impending changes to ratios and defense values, and they're going to fix enmity for SoA.

We just have to sit tight for a while.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 14:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Rhythms said: »

Asking for this to be added to the "Shield Mastery" trait full time is asking for way too much.

Is it really? Paladin kills very slowly. Older things, like aby NMs miss paladin freequently enough.

It's basically a boost to shield mastery, depending on your gear situation. If you land both hits (typically weaker NMs), you get double the TP. If you miss both, you get no TP other than anything that might have been gotten as a result of taking damage (same as any other class).

In lowman, paladin wants to contribute to killing faster. In high-tier content, paladin wants to just take less damage, or should. Contributing to damage meaningfully is a pipedream, but with a sufficient ws set, such a buff wouldn't help paladins spike higher, in fact, they'd stop spiking, just more consistent damage.
 Leviathan.Eloc
Server: Leviathan
user: Eloc
By Leviathan.Eloc 2013-01-23 15:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD isn't supposed to be a damage dealer. It's supposed to kill slowly.

workingasintended

That being said, I've always thought that making a Shield attack job trait would be fun. Like Double or Triple Attack. 10% Proc rate, same effect as Shield Bash. Would just look cool to occasionally attack with your shield.

Keep Shield Bash as a JA, it would makes sense because WAR and THF get Assassin's Charge and Warrior's Charge.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-23 15:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Omnys said: »

Is it really? Paladin kills very slowly. Older things, like aby NMs miss paladin freequently enough.

It's basically a boost to shield mastery, depending on your gear situation. If you land both hits (typically weaker NMs), you get double the TP. If you miss both, you get no TP other than anything that might have been gotten as a result of taking damage (same as any other class).

In lowman, paladin wants to contribute to killing faster. In high-tier content, paladin wants to just take less damage, or should. Contributing to damage meaningfully is a pipedream, but with a sufficient ws set, such a buff wouldn't help paladins spike higher, in fact, they'd stop spiking, just more consistent damage.

LOL no just no, your pld must really suck if its missing that much
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 15:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

No, read instead of skimming for something to flame.

Lower NMs miss THE PALADIN frequently enough, thus slowing their tp build from shield mastery down.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-01-23 15:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I would like something like: Occasionally stuns upon blocking with shield. (which would also "make sense")

But too much as a trait, ja or enhancement post Shieldbash.
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-23 16:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Eloc said: »
10% Proc rate, same effect as Shield Bash

Aegis suddenly becomes a source of damage!
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 16:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I would like something like: Occasionally stuns upon blocking with shield. (which would also "make sense")

But too much as a trait, ja or enhancement post Shieldbash.

I've thought about something like this before.. I was hoping kind of that reprisal would lead into a new set of spells. One that causes no hate, but has a fair chance to stun the mobs would be ideal for supertanking. One that does nice spike damage would be nice for single target tanking, etc.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-23 16:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Still think pld should get fencer.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-01-23 16:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Not like you don't sub war on pld <.<
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-23 16:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

That's only T1.
 Bahamut.Rhythms
By Bahamut.Rhythms 2013-01-23 17:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD shouldn't be in abyssea.

You want double the white damage and a significant increase to WS rate? SE would never just up and say "ok *** it, let's make PLD put out twice as much damage."

In lowman, paladin wants to contribute to killing faster. In high-tier content, paladin wants to just take less damage, or should. Contributing to damage meaningfully is a pipedream.
High tier as in legion? Where PLD sit in a nice little corner holding mobs, without taking out their weapon so mages don't pull hate?

With a sufficient ws set, such a buff wouldn't help paladins spike higher. in fact, they'd stop spiking, just more consistent damage.
No.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-23 17:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

No, read instead of skimming for something to flame.

Lower NMs miss THE PALADIN frequently enough, thus slowing their tp build from shield mastery down.

HA i bolded the wrong part.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 19:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying paladins eva well at all. The point simply is that with higher levels comes better evasion. Yeah, things miss my paladin more than they used to. No I'm not one of the retards that would /nin for dual wield (or /nin for anything anymore, Thank god).

Why should PLD not be in abyssea? Because it kills slowly. TP feed is usually a bad thing but PLD has more uses in aby than most people know. There's just a bandwagon of "PLD doesn't belong in abyssea".

One of the problems with paladins right now, is at enmity cap, they don't swing fast enough. Everything else holds hate better, because they swing faster..
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 19:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The status-quo isn't working, just an idea.

Yes "Adoulin will fix it", but we don't actually know A) if that will actually happen, and B) how it will happen. This is just an idea towards that.
 Fenrir.Ghostknight
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Ghostknight 2013-01-23 19:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying paladins eva well at all. The point simply is that with higher levels comes better evasion. Yeah, things miss my paladin more than they used to. No I'm not one of the retards that would /nin for dual wield (or /nin for anything anymore, Thank god).

Why should PLD not be in abyssea? Because it kills slowly. TP feed is usually a bad thing but PLD has more uses in aby than most people know. There's just a bandwagon of "PLD doesn't belong in abyssea".

One of the problems with paladins right now, is at enmity cap, they don't swing fast enough. Everything else holds hate better, because they swing faster..

PLD is unnecessary in abyssea. Other jobs can do everything a PLD can and more.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-01-23 19:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Your suggestion wouldn't really help with that particular aspect. The only thing that would would be some sort of delay reduction, not DA/TA/QA or OAx.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 19:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
PLD is unnecessary in abyssea. Other jobs can do everything a PLD can and more.

No, other jobs kill faster and tank more reliably, people make up for their weaknesses because of this. Taking nukes that one shot a party or alliance, or most of them and just nomnomming on them like candy is fun.

Ochain PLD laughs at bukhis. Yeah it takes an ochain longer to kill, but in 15 runs, he's never effected my max hp at all. Most people don't know this because "Paladins don't belong in Abyssea".

Pankrator, or whatever, the zelus NM. It's fun to eat chainspell aga 4s for 200 a pop. It's a blast. Made that 100m dinnerplatter on my right arm tons of fun.

Yeah it takes a paladin a lot of effort and dedication to get both aegis and ochain but a dedicated paladin will. I don't need to tell you where the problems lie with Paladin, I'm sure most people know.

I like a lot of where the class is at, vs where it was when I quit in 09. /war is the default, it can take a lot of hits for 0, it has pd and mdt shields. The only thing to dislike really relates to enmity and killspeed.

Not that all of that is a new discussion.
 Bahamut.Rhythms
By Bahamut.Rhythms 2013-01-23 20:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

No, other jobs kill faster and tank more reliably, people make up for their weaknesses because of this. Taking nukes that one shot a party or alliance, or most of them and just nomnomming on them like candy is fun.
Is the whole party in damage+ gear, no shell, and weakened?

Ochain PLD laughs at bukhis. Yeah it takes an ochain longer to kill, but in 15 runs, he's never effected my max hp at all. Most people don't know this because "Paladins don't belong in Abyssea".
Utsusemi.

Pankrator, or whatever, the zelus NM. It's fun to eat chainspell aga 4s for 200 a pop. It's a blast. Made that 100m dinnerplatter on my right arm tons of fun.
Any job with a good MDT set can tank Pantokrators chainspell. Other jobs are also better at getting hate back when he resets it.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-01-23 20:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
PLD is unnecessary in abyssea.

No, other jobs kill faster and tank more reliably

Lol'd
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 20:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »

Your suggestion wouldn't really help with that particular aspect. The only thing that would would be some sort of delay reduction, not DA/TA/QA or OAx.

Yeah, it's not a huge help. A monk or ninja or even dualwielding blm (lol ok too far) will still hit more often, but as no variation on dual wield would work for pld in any common sense way (and I wouldn't want one), something needs to be done.

Not saying it needs do more white damage so much as do it more often.

What if Enlight put a DoT on the target? A decent damage (just to contribute to damage) high enmity dot.
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-01-23 20:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
Quote:
PLD is unnecessary in abyssea.

No, other jobs kill faster and tank more reliably

Lol'd

It is funny.

Tragic, but funny.

Though I should have said "other jobs hold hate better".
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-24 12:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What am I even reading... pld/war with almace and haste hits fast with marches its pretty much hundred fists. Pld doesnt need fixing if you are doing it right you obviously arent.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-24 12:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
What am I even reading... pld/war with almace and haste hits fast with marches its pretty much hundred fists. Pld doesnt need fixing if you are doing it right you obviously arent.
Sure, Pld doesn't need a fix so much as the system does. There isn't a good reason to bring a pld to most events. But Pld doesn't deal amazing damage, particularly to anything that would need a pld to start with (thanks 1h mechanics and level correction!). Any job hits fast with double marches and haste... And no amount of "Doing it right" will help pld keep hate off an ally of DD's with zerg buffs.
[+]
By volkom 2013-01-24 13:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

should give paladin auto shield bash

like every time they block~ chance to shield bash the mob
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2013-01-24 13:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

Yes and call it Shield attack, have it be a job trait, and have it tied to blocking. I think it should function the same way Kick attacks for mnk do, Give it a 10% activation rate on blocked attacks (Hello Ochain), but tie it's dmg value to shield bash (hello Aegis).
By Enuyasha 2013-01-24 13:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »

Yeah, it's not a huge help. A monk or ninja or even dualwielding blm (lol ok too far) will still hit more often, but as no variation on dual wield would work for pld in any common sense way (and I wouldn't want one), something needs to be done.

Not saying it needs do more white damage so much as do it more often.

What if Enlight put a DoT on the target? A decent damage (just to contribute to damage) high enmity dot.
What if enspell damage contributed to hate gain :| (or do they? I dont really know for sure...)

But what SE needs to do as far as hate goes is have WSdamage build less hate than say JA or magic spells. The reason DD's hit the hate cap so quickly is because theyre popping out 10K WS every 100 TP and that ammount of damage caps your hate after 1-2 weaponskills. meanwhile, the PLD cant possibly cap hate that fast even with Sentinel enhanced hate. They dont need to fix PLD's damage, they need to fix how hate works in general.

volkom said: »

I'v been saying it from the beginning, give us Shield Weaponskills!
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-01-24 16:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Quote:
What if enspell damage contributed to hate gain :| (or do they? I dont really know for sure...)

They don't, and if I had to guess, there's some sort of system limitation that prevents it.
First Page 2