Ochain 90 Vs 99. Much Difference?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Ochain 90 vs 99. Much difference?
Ochain 90 vs 99. Much difference?
By Jurant 2013-01-10 21:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Topic. Just wondering if it blocks much more damage, or is it mainly just to give more Mp back upon blocks?

Edited TP to MP was a typo. ty Lucried
 Bismarck.Lucried
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Lucried
By Bismarck.Lucried 2013-01-10 22:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

isn't it only more Damage to MP like it says?
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-01-10 22:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It has more lolVIT!

But yeah, I don't think you get any actual important stats taking the Ochain to 99. It's basically only done as a "I really like PLD" sort of thing.

Ochain has some of the worst synergy on stats for an item in the game, which is saying a lot considering the other items SE has designed. I only restores MP when blocked, but it's based on the damage you take and it reduces damage by like 90%...wat.
By Jurant 2013-01-10 22:41:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
It has more lolVIT!

But yeah, I don't think you get any actual important stats taking the Ochain to 99. It's basically only done as a "I really like PLD" sort of thing.

Ochain has some of the worst synergy on stats for an item in the game, which is saying a lot considering the other items SE has designed. I only restores MP when blocked, but it's based on the damage you take and it reduces damage by like 90%...wat.

It restores more than enough MP at 90 so i wouldnt bother going to 99 for that, I was just hoping it blocked more damage at Higher level. Guess not though.
By Ophannus 2013-01-10 23:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If only it converted damage to MP before the damage was reduced so you'd benefit more from that stat, SE got their order of operations wrong I guess.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-01-10 23:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
If only it converted damage to MP before the damage was reduced so you'd benefit more from that stat, SE got their order of operations wrong I guess.

I'm guessing it was intentional given how high the percentage is (35%). Compare that to Flume belt and Ethereal Earring (2% and 3% respectively) and it might make some bit of sense. Having it be 35% of straight up damage taken before block would probably be really broken. If I was before-block damage I'd probably set it at something like 10% and it'd still be really good.
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2013-01-14 08:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Jurant said: »
Leviathan.Kincard said: »
It has more lolVIT!

It restores more than enough MP at 90 so i wouldnt bother going to 99 for that, I was just hoping it blocked more damage at Higher level. Guess not though.

How much a shield reduces damage by is determined by its defense rating. Ochain's defense doesn't increase from 90 to 99 so the damage it blocks stays the same.
By Aeyela 2013-01-14 08:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of getting 2/3* MP back when you block and take 10 damage, you get 3/4* MP!

* Does it round down or up?