users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Non-Endgame Event PLD Gearing
Non-Endgame Event PLD Gearing
 Lakshmi.Gio
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Gio 2012-12-25 00:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

From what I've gathered, PLD doesn't really seem like a job that allows you to get away with non-endgame equipment. I like the job and I'm 45 atm, but after some browsing the forums, I'm a bit disheartened to continue leveling it. I don't have the time (due to work) to join endgame LS's for getting a lot of the awesome gear. I do however find time here and there to try to work on some of the +1 (and rarely +2) Abyssea equipment.

Any gear set suggestions for a PLD hopeful that I can still pull off given my work related restrictions?
 Quetzalcoatl.Bryangelos
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Bryangelos 2012-12-25 02:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice would be to get a mage job like Blm leveled up to 99.

From there you can work on your vw progress, even with casual playing you can get lucky and get all your clears for prov. Between abyssea gear and VW gear you could have a decent pld.

I'm thinking adamas as your goal for shield, and the prov sword to hold you over until you can finish a Str shikargar or just the str shikargar if you finish it first.

O i forgot to mention Relic +2 gear, could give you some other choices, as i'm guessing Neo Nyzul gear probably isn't a realistic goal. Also have alot of other options like doing sky gods for heca, and dark ring farming ect.
 Odin.Madotsuki
Server: Odin
user: Madotsuki
By Odin.Madotsuki 2012-12-25 02:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Threw together some things real quick.

STR magian sword, majority AF3+2 and abyssea gear is a solid base.

Alternative/less stuff needed but weaker.

Some Voidwatch stuff. Adamas would most definitely be the best non-relic/empyrean shield you can acquire, though that means having access to Provenance Watcher and luck on drops.

Almace and Ochain; they may seem impossible at first thought but they really aren't. Almace's NMs are pretty easy these days, with the only thing holding you back really is how fast you can acquire popsets. With aid from friends, an Almace can be finished in no time. Ochain requires much more timesink, but if you chip at it away slowly (even 2 colorless souls a day adds up), but it is definitely not impossible if you are willing to work on a long term goal.

For fun.
 Asura.Natenn
Server: Asura
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2012-12-25 02:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD isnt really a casual job anymore like back in the day, nowaday its pretty much useless without at least ochain,also excalibur is much better then almace unless ur getting buffs/food in aby/vw/etc.
but if you must, 5/5 requiescat and get a mnd/atk set for it. atk being more of the priority then mnd. And plz w/e u do do not use perle gear.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-12-25 03:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Then what is he supposed to wear when hitting that level, before he gets any af3? :P
Gonna assume he does'nt have any homam etc!
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-12-25 03:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said: »
PLD isnt really a casual job anymore like back in the day, nowaday its pretty much useless without at least ochain,also excalibur is much better then almace unless ur getting buffs/food in aby/vw/etc.
but if you must, 5/5 requiescat and get a mnd/atk set for it. atk being more of the priority then mnd. And plz w/e u do do not use perle gear.

More like if you're casual you won't find a use for it....unless you consider VW with adds casual content.
By avengerx 2012-12-25 03:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Then what is he supposed to wear when hitting that level, before he gets any af3? :P

lol he can wear the Adaman gear like the old school plds did ^^
 Lakshmi.Razius
user: Razius07
By Lakshmi.Razius 2012-12-25 04:59:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »

Hehe good question =p

PLD was my third job, it allowed me to break into Sky and Sea/Limbus, and other (older) Endgame events, it really is fun. Now that VW has given it a new lease of life its again another good job to put effort into.

Now at the OP :) Levelling is alot different now as you know, but there are some really nice pieces out there to get pre 75.

From your level range, try and mix up pieces of the Eisenbrust and the I.M. Cuirass set as they are probably amongst the nicer defensive pieces up to 60. Thankfully, the PLD Artifact is all the job needs once you are high enough, and the +1 feet can happily see you well at 99, with perhaps throwing in something like a Royal Knight Chainmail, Hauby/+1 or another DD body should you desire to.

High 60s you can pretty much full time the Iron Ram Hauberk set, its a beautiful gear set for PLD and covers everything the job needs, except haste. Use a Swift Belt and later perhaps the Wally Turban should you desire to. Add in something like a Terror Shield and pick up a Dagda's Shield for later and you cant go wrong.

Personally, I would go with the Iron Ram set until you start getting Creed gear, as the Perle Hauberk set is okay for its level, its actually quite nice for some DD jobs, but for PLD it really reeks. However there is alot better out there at a slightly lower level.

Accessories are personal preference, but anything that boosts damage and eminity are the way to go. HP, haste and any form of -Damage Taken are also nice to have as you level. I'll leave this to you as accessories are the most customisable in gear sets/macros.
Several items of note: Rajas Ring, Swift Belt, Cerb. Mantle +1, Shield Torque, Parade Gorget, Jelly Ring... you get the idea.

Now, my suggestions on some gear that you could be working on for when you hit 75+, assuming you have the ability and the time to get the items. But hey, who cares how long it takes as long as you get it in the end, right? :)

Start saving seals for Creed +1 gear, just all the set, its a really nice endgame set, and its quite obtainable. Just take friends, go shouting, see who bites. Same with +2s, probably prioritizing the body, then personal preference after that.

In the meantime, if Sky eventing is attractive to you, the Koenig Schaller and Gauntlets are great for high defensive stuff. Really not hard to get either.

Do Dynamis! Solo, go with friends, etc. Not only is it a decent money maker but PLD Relic seems to drop well and you may prefer it to the Iron Ram gear. I personally don't, but with the Relic+2 options you may deem it a better choice.

With the recent changes, Limbus is a hell of a lot more accessible than before. I ran a Omega/Ultima shell for a year until health issues forced me to stop eventing, and then stop playing for a while, the group we had were really good and we never lost, and many people had full sets of both by the time we disbanded. Even at 75 low man groups and even soloers could get itself a Omega set. Again, take some LS members and other friends, and get yaself a few sets. Even now the Homam gear, namely the hands, legs and feet, are nice pieces. And who knows where your newly geared and pimped out PLD will take you.. you could potentially get the Arch Omega versions later!

Just remember: having the best of the gear makes your job easier yes, but it is not essential to go far in things such like Voidwatch, Limbus, Abyssea etc. It all goes down to how well you play the job at the end of the day, that should be any players focus but sadly that is getting rarer in todays XI. Just make it as best as you possibly can, I bet its probably better than you think you can achieve :)

Sorry for such a long post, but PLD is a job I've always had pride in, and have tried to be the best I possibly could. I hope some of the suggestions on this topic help ya out!

Merry Christmas!

tldr: As much of the Creed +1 set as you can get, and some reasonably decent accessories (Creed Collar, Twilight Torque, Swift/Goading Belt, Atheling Mantle etc) will make you a competant higher content Paladin. And from there you can only improve further!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Gio
By Lakshmi.Gio 2012-12-25 06:46:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, thanks for all the replies so quickly ^_^ Really helps me out. So far I only have SAM, MNK and THF leveled (to 90) and I figured between PLD or WHM I could at least start increasing my usefulness in pick up parties for stuff. I'm back from a 2 year break so I've got a lot of catching up to do. Thanks a mil for the advice, ya'll.

Happy Holidays to ya~!
[+]