DRG Merits, Help?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG Merits, Help?
DRG Merits, Help?
 Lakshmi.Tyndal
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: delan35
By Lakshmi.Tyndal 2009-06-09 18:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I use DRG for everything. My merits are:

5/5 jump
5/5 high jump
5/5 angon
5/5 empathy

I find deep breathing to be worthless in most cases. After 1000 exp, 505 HB is usually more than enough for me, and if I am low in HP, I don't wanna take the extra second to do a JA. I have main healed 5DD+brd merit parties with no issues and even do backup healing in my Nyzul static no issues (yes, I do drg/whm in Nyzul). I like being able to build more TP with the jumps and have more surviving buffs on my wyvern.

Also, for solo, strafe is 100% worthless (never do offensive breaths, doesn't do anything to healing breath), but I couldn't answer for offensive cause the group I do things with likes my drg/mage stuff so I never really play anything else :)
 Kujata.Arasuta
Server: Kujata
user: alastair
By Kujata.Arasuta 2009-06-09 18:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

i use
5/5 jump recast
5/5 HJ recast
5/5 angon
5/5 DB

either way its up to u how u merit ure drg more solo side or more party side. jump and hj recast is by far better i dont see y people do super jump. if u have hate tank like a pro and stop bein a wimp.
 Asura.Charlottie
Server: Asura
By Asura.Charlottie 2009-06-10 03:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

"and I prefer healing myself for more with the Strafe merits."

thread over.

there are people who need 5/5 super jump to even play ffxi at all, no lie. it's a great ability. though, none among you need that much super jump more than you can get away with having more jump :] mmm tp.. i admit i have a full jump tp bonus set going on. i find it is the tactical edge of dding on the job.

let's say you are the kind of dragoon who doesn't only solo or merit (and that is the kind of dragoon we should always be talking about).. if you have 5/5 in it i hope you're using it to dodge every spell being cast on/at you. for better or worse.
 Lakshmi.Tyndal
user: delan35
By Lakshmi.Tyndal 2009-06-10 04:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valkyria said:
if your soloing you wanna look at your spirit link timer and jump timer. Yes when you have enough wyvern hp+ gear and your wyvern is doing 400-500 heals without deep breathing, he/she tends to rip something fierce like a whm spamming cure IV on a HNM...
<snip>
...if your soloing, 5/5 deep breathing, 1/5 angon, might wanna put 1/5 strafe...

And just a not on this. Wyvern Healing Breath is hate free. I can spam it all day and never worry about my wyvern getting hate (doing 505 after that 1k exp).

And Strafe does NOTHING unless you are using an offensive breath. It does not affect Healing Breath at all.
 Odin.Hecky
Server: Odin
user: Hecky
By Odin.Hecky 2009-06-10 05:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The FIRST thing you do befor starting on DRG merits itelf, is cap polearm and then crit hit and STR. After that, Angon caped is a seksy seksy thing, spesialy on zergs, though usealy its dead long befor angon wears, but hey! seksy!

Im soloing alot myself, and whit wyrm armet + deep breathing i get up to 800 hp back, amaizing. Compear deep breathing VS strafe, it will pretty much be the same, exept deep breathing is spike damage while strafe is DoT. Deep breathing is also very helpfull in soloing situations where you spirit link mid fight, to get hp back asap

I also have 1 merit in empaty, mainly to give my wyvern shell when soloing stuff like flys, imps, pukes ect, to lower the AoE damage my wyvern takes. Also keep in mind 80 more hp is good, not only in meriting as DD, but also to activate healing breath on higher HP.

Whit this i hope i helped just a lill bit, enjoy meriting on DRG, its the awesomest job there is ;)
 Seraph.Blindkarma
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Blindkarma 2009-06-10 06:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Raelious said:
I ust recently got DRG to 75. And I dont know how to distribute my merits in the groups. I currently have "High Jump Recast" 1/5 and "Angon" 1/5. I was wondering what were some good combinations for it.

5/5 Jump + H Jump
5/5 Deep Breathing
3/5 Angon
2/5 Empathy

^ This fo sho. Definetly want jump and high jump maxed. Deep Breathing is well worth maxing. 490-515 Wyvern Breath and up to 880 Healing Breaths every 5 minz is just plain badass.

Angon DOES NOT have to be maxed. Seriously, unless you're doing sky or sea, or if your HNM shell makes you come DRG, its pretty much worthless. 3 Should be as high as you go with that. 2 Empathy is nice, gives wyverns magic spells that are casted on you as well as JA's.

Personally, I did 2 Angon and 1 Strafe, just cuz I kinda burnt myself out on meriting that week and didnt feel like making 5 merits /sigh.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [3058 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2017-10-23 19:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What I find to be the most useful:

Category 1:
Jump Recast 5/5
High Jump Recast 5/5

(More jumps=more tp)

Category 2:
Angon 5/5
(-20% monster defense down for 1 min 30 secs, obvious choice)
Empathy 5/5
(Lets you buff your wyvern and fully level him to 5 in one Spirit Link;
Fully buffed Wyvern gives YOU: Attack +20%, Defense +20%, Haste +10%, [DA +15%, with job point master])
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2017-10-23 20:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

are we doing that thing where we find 8-10 year old threads and necro-ing them again?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2017-10-23 20:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
are we doing that thing where we find 8-10 year old threads and necro-ing them again?

What do you mean by "we"? >:p
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-10-24 00:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I dropped a merit in Angon and put one in Deep Breathing. That occasional forced full-cure can be a lifesaver at times, and the 15 second loss from Angon isn't too much of a loss. Especially if you're partying with a BLU, SAM, WAR, or DNC
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-10-24 00:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

my HBs already do 2k+ why would you bother with deep breathing?
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2017-10-24 00:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually reduced my healing breath gear purely because it's so ludicrous without trying that I wanted more DT in the set in case I get hit in a HB set.
By Justuas 2017-10-24 01:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The drg guide has the merits. /thread pls delete
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2017-10-30 22:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Eightball said: »
my HBs already do 2k+ why would you bother with deep breathing?

I think it probably had value 'back in the day'. The only possible use I can imagine for it now is perhaps to attempt to MB with the Wyvern? But that has never produced a very potent result for me haha.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-10-30 23:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably because magic bursting a breath only adds M.acc. There's no damage bonus, sadly.