Noob Needs Help!!!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Noob needs Help!!!
Noob needs Help!!!
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Amroth
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-03 22:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello every one im new at this whole forum thing so bare with me.
I just recently gained 75 finaly after a year and I dont under stand the merit thing. If I put merits into HP or MP for my PLD then take say DRG to 75 and want to do just HP to full will that take off of my PLD merits in MP? Or is it based on that job?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-03 22:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The effect of merit points upgrades in the general categories apply to any and all jobs that the player sets as their current Main Job, including jobs that are not level 75. More upgrades apply as the character's main job increases in level, as shown below.

Job Levels Upgrades in effect per item
1-9 0
10-19 1
20-29 2
30-39 3
40-49 4
50-54 5
55-59 6
60-64 7
65-75 8
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2009-06-03 22:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you put merits into Hp and mp, lets say 4 and 4 (since most for this catagory is 8), you will have those merits for ALL jobs. your DRG would have the same mp and hp merits as your PLD. The only merits that don't affect all of your jobs are in the job specific catagories ( type 1 and 2). Hope this helped =)

Edit: ; ; beat to the punch again...
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-06-03 22:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Merits

This is worth a read. It explains everything you need to know. Be sure to cap your exp even if you feel like you're wasting wasting merits. It's worth it in the long run.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-03 22:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Merits

This is worth a read.
thanx but cant work computer wont allow that site >< and not much access to a comp at home or i would have just looked plus some times i need it explained different.

Daimos said:
If you put merits into Hp and mp, lets say 4 and 4 (since most for this catagory is 8), you will have those merits for ALL jobs. your DRG would have the same mp and hp merits as your PLD. The only merits that don't affect all of your jobs are in the job specific catagories ( type 1 and 2). Hope this helped =)

so basicly focus on one job as my main job and the rest kinda get an unused bonus i guess.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-03 22:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

oops quote thing didnt work but hey you get the point. sry XD
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-03 22:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Amroth said:
oops quote thing didnt work but hey you get the point. sry XD

add [/quote] at the end to close it.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-03 22:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
add
at the end to close it.[/quote]
Like this /em crosses fingers
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-03 22:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

guess not got some of it oh well ill get it eventualy like i said
<----noob
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-03 22:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta also have a [quote=Amroth] to go with the [/.quote]
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-03 22:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ill try and remember that thanx
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 02:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Last noob question the numbers on here go 2,3,6,9 or, something like, that is that how many merit points it takes to go up in that box, like for example chivalry starts with a 3 under slot 1 so i need to save 3 for that one skill and so on or is that something else like the effect it has when a point is put there?
 Ramuh.Miemo
Server: Ramuh
user: Miemo
By Ramuh.Miemo 2009-06-04 02:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You are right. You need to save up to "That number", So in this case 3.

Edit: To make it a little more clear.

For Chivalry you could uppgrade it 5 times.

Uppgrades are as followed: 3 4 5 5 5. This is in total 22 merit points. Or 220,000 experience points.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 02:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

nice thank you
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-06-04 04:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, a note on HP/MP merits for PLD.

8/8 HP merits is almost ALWAYS better than a mix of HP and MP unless you're Galka.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 04:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey thanx good to know i was going to go half and half.
guess I should max out VIT then too huh?
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Server: Ifrit
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

From what i've read, heard, etc. You're better off going with something else for Stat merits. Typically its STR for DD, or INT for blm or something of the sort. Been rare hearing anyone with a distribution of merits along that line, or of a full VIT set. Least from my own experiences.
 Asura.Zekky
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Amroth said:
Hey thanx good to know i was going to go half and half.
guess I should max out VIT then too huh?

No. VIT is handy for PLDs but it isn't that necessary. Better off going along with what Dinarii said. +enmity merits are a must though. Mmhmm. And +shield. You'll notice a big difference once you've got +4 enmity merits.
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

unless you're leveling a mage job or bst/pup. then +enm merits could be bad juju for you! it's a lot of what else you plan on leveling etc. if PLD is gonna be it, yes, shield, enm, enemy crit-, spell interruption, the list goes on about what the "best" sets would be. but in the end, it's entirely up to you and your playstyle.

i couldnt imagine the pain i'd have to deal with on rng if i had max enm merits ROFL!

ninjer edit: i always laugh seeing zekky's avatar roffles
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 05:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

so.. try and balance the stats out not sure i follow ...
are you saying get STR so i can DD with PLD didnt really know that they
can all i have really done is tank
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

well, to put it plainly, is PLD the only job you ever plan on leveling?

YES: Go ahead and do VIT, and everything else that coincides with PLD.

NO: might want to figure out what future jobs you plan on leveling, and if a different setup in your merits would benefit you more.

In essence it's all on what you plan on doing. I'm no PLD so i couldnt give you a great run down of what would be good to merit, what wouldn't etc. But as a person with a decent variety of jobs, some merits would be good for one job, but potentially harmful to my other jobs.

But putting one or two merits into each attribute slot isn't really going to help you much, it goes along the same lines as HP/MP. its usually seen best as throwing all or most of the merits into one slot, as opposed to distribution.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
unless you're leveling a mage job or bst/pup. then +enm merits could be bad juju for you! it's a lot of what else you plan on leveling etc.

Not always the case. I've got MNK, BRD and RDM75 and I'm not going to lie and say it isn't a challenge to control hate on those jobs, but it isn't a huge problem. Because there is -enmity gear available for mage jobs and if you're still grabbing hate with +4 merits, then your tanks need to seriously get off their *** and get the +4 enmity merits then. =P

But alas it's true. If you really plan on lvling a mage job, it may be better to hold off. But I <3 my +enmity merits personally and I wouldn't drop them. I even plan on lvling BLM. That's going to be fun pulling off a 1.5k dmg spell and then add +4 enmity on them... Oh yes. I'll make my tanks cry. Or laugh. When I die. Over and over. =3

Dinarii said:
ninjer edit: i always laugh seeing zekky's avatar roffles

Thanks. I love the comments I get about it. ^^;

Amroth said:
so.. try and balance the stats out not sure i follow ...
are you saying get STR so i can DD with PLD didnt really know that they
can all i have really done is tank

Don't need to balance so much. Make your PLD a heavy player in something. And no STR for PLD. Please no... no no... DD PLD doesn't exist. Especially when you get Atonement. +enmity is the only modifier for that.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 05:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it now i think i'll hold up on the enmity+ then since i want to level RNG DRG RDM and SMN and maybe even DRK. what skill effects ranged ACC? might get a head start on RNG
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

AGI
 Ifrit.Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-06-04 05:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
Especially when you get Atonement. +enmity is the only modifier for that.

totally forgot about that, thus my whole "I'm not a PLD" statement XD. and i knew a blm with full +Enm merits... makes for fun tanking according to my buddy. He hated going to do events with him around ROFL. Max merit BLM+ENM merits=grouchy PLDs.

NINJER EDIT (AGAIN): AGI is the mod for that. But depending on your race you might want to focus that into STR. which WOULD benefit your RNG and your DRG.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Dinarii said:
Zekky said:
Especially when you get Atonement. +enmity is the only modifier for that.

totally forgot about that, thus my whole "I'm not a PLD" statement XD. and i knew a blm with full +Enm merits... makes for fun tanking according to my buddy. He hated going to do events with him around ROFL. Max merit BLM+ENM merits=grouchy PLDs.

Yeah, when I was in a sky LS two years or so, 2-3 of our BLMs were also our tanks and they had +4 enmity merits. It was a *** tanking them sometimes.

Amroth said:
Got it now i think i'll hold up on the enmity+ then since i want to level RNG DRG RDM and SMN and maybe even DRK.

Also don't be afraid of meritting +enmity once or even twice. The difference you'll see from it will be great for tanking if you plan on full time PLD. Because like Dinarii stated, there are people with full enmity merits and it will be a hard time tanking them. People with WHM, RNG, DRK, RDM, DRG... Hell. Anything. I'm one of those people too. It's all a matter of control though too. If you're on a DD job or mage job and you've got +enmity merits, you shouldn't be throwing your DD epeen all over the mob and causing enmity issues with your tank. Now if you're tank is doing it all right but you're still getting hate, then maybe he should merit his enmity. =P

Edit:
Dinarii said:
NINJER EDIT (AGAIN): AGI is the mod for that. But depending on your race you might want to focus that into STR. which WOULD benefit your RNG and your DRG.

Mmhmm. RACC will only matter so much... While STR will really influence the overall WS DMG. Elvaan AGI is a joke but I've got RNGs in my LS with STR 5/5 and pull off some sick *** Sidewinders.
 Sylph.Amroth
By Sylph.Amroth 2009-06-04 05:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm Elvaan I think I have plenty of STR and I know VIT is good for jumps on DRG. my mithra buddy gets pissed when I do higher damage 3 levels lower than him. so I might balance STR VIT and AGI seems like the better of options for choice of jobs. If that seems wrong or not very effective please let me know I like to try and play each job as efficient as possible. I was a mess at holding hate untill I got some tips from some Sr. PLD players
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-06-04 05:38:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Zekky said:
Please no... no no... DD PLD doesn't exist. Especially when you get Atonement. +enmity is the only modifier for that.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean that PLD can never be primarily a DD, absolutely. If you mean that a paladin shouldn't have a haste/attack/accuracy set for tp to gain extra hate through damage dealt, along with a fastcast set and an enmity set to macro in for enmity generating actions, I would have to disagree.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Amroth said:
so I might balance STR VIT and AGI seems like the better of options for choice of jobs.

Well since you can only merit the attribute 5 times, balancing isn't exactly an option really. Best to go 5/5 on an attribute if you want to make a difference in something.
 Asura.Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-06-04 05:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sevourn said:
Zekky said:
Please no... no no... DD PLD doesn't exist. Especially when you get Atonement. +enmity is the only modifier for that.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean that PLD can never be primarily a DD, absolutely. If you mean that a paladin shouldn't have a haste/attack/accuracy set for tp to gain extra hate through damage dealt, along with fastcast and enmity sets to macro in for enmity generating actions, i would have to disagree.

Have you not seen my PLD? >.>;; I'm 4/5 on the key homam pieces. <.<;;; And ritter gorget, sattva ring, etc... >.>;;; The SS of my PLD is really old unfortunately. I need to really update it. @.@;

I'm all about the haste/ACC build but that's because I want faster Atonement. With my homam/enmity build, I can duo Adamantoise in about 8 minutes with a RDM or a WHM. Just because I can spam the hell out of Atonement with homam and a Joyeuse.
First Page 2 3