[Lifehacker/Digg/TechTV/Firefox/Operawhatever] Tech/geek Chatter

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » [Lifehacker/Digg/TechTV/Firefox/Operawhatever] tech/geek chatter
[Lifehacker/Digg/TechTV/Firefox/Operawhatever] tech/geek chatter
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-03 11:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought it'd be cool to meet other such enthusiasts since being an gaming nerd usually goes hand-in-hand with either tech or anime nerdism. lol Not going to make this about any singular topic, though, just whatever cool things are announced or are going on in the Tech world.

So, Opera 10 beta released and now Firefox 3.5's release is nearing. Excitement! I've never used Opera but I snagged the beta today to test it out and see if it can compete with my firefox love. What do you guys use and why?

Edit: since this is incredibly open-ended as is, each morning I'll try to throw a new topic out for discussion/conversation if the current has died down to keep things fresh.

Topic of the Day (06/06/09): Palm Pre go!
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-06-03 12:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

i use firefox, i like how quickly it loads and how my tabs stay there. i've tried opera before the other browsers had tabs, but i found it irritating and stopped using it. i also tried Safari, but that was god awful.
 Cerberus.Arteus
Server: Cerberus
user: Arteus
By Cerberus.Arteus 2009-06-03 12:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultrarichard said:
i use firefox, i like how quickly it loads and how my tabs stay there. i've tried opera before the other browsers had tabs, but i found it irritating and stopped using it. i also tried Safari, but that was god awful.

lolbrd >.>
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-03 13:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ultrarichard said:
For me it's the extensions with firefox. I've loaded it up so much that start times are terrible now, but it makes navigating the interwebs so much easier and more enjoyable. lol

Haven't tried out Opera yet, and have only peaked at Safari. I've liked some safari-esque themes that have come to firefox, but that's about it so far.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-03 13:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I use Firefox, converted to it a year or 2 ago, after being a staunch I.E. guy since after my AOL days (so almost 10 years lol). I resisted the urgings of my friends about how great FF was in comparison for many years, til I just gave up the fight and tried it.

I could never go back to dumpy I.E. now lol

I love Firefox due to it's speed, but mostly because of the addons. Noscript, Ad Block Plus, Grease Monkey, Download Toolbar, Personas (I love the ease you can skin FF with it, I often change backgrounds and tailor my FF skin to match), and, most importantly, FFXI Helper. That addon alone is a freaking godsend, I use it constantly...

Outside of possibly checking out Google Chrome at some point (I've heard good things), I'm sticking with FF for the duration. I need my addons ^^
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-06-03 15:29:22
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Chrome is nice, it's just .... no plugins. I use it whenever something fusses with my Firefox/NoScript/Adblocker Suite.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-03 15:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Gaea said:
Chrome is nice, it's just .... no plugins.

I'd heard (somewhere) that some FF addons will be able to work with Chrome. Never tested myself though, and who knows when that's supposed to take place, or if it was just wishful thinking.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-03 17:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I use Firefox, converted to it a year or 2 ago, after being a staunch I.E. guy since after my AOL days (so almost 10 years lol). I resisted the urgings of my friends about how great FF was in comparison for many years, til I just gave up the fight and tried it.

I could never go back to dumpy I.E. now lol

I love Firefox due to it's speed, but mostly because of the addons. Noscript, Ad Block Plus, Grease Monkey, Download Toolbar, Personas (I love the ease you can skin FF with it, I often change backgrounds and tailor my FF skin to match), and, most importantly, FFXI Helper. That addon alone is a freaking godsend, I use it constantly...

Outside of possibly checking out Google Chrome at some point (I've heard good things), I'm sticking with FF for the duration. I need my addons ^^
Werd, I love me some personas and greasemonkey/stylish. I have so many little things I rely on now via scripts and styles that I could never go back at this point. lol Also, if you've never seen it, the Elementary theme + paint splat persona looks friggin awesome. I lurve it. /nod
Gaea said:
Chrome is nice, it's just .... no plugins. I use it whenever something fusses with my Firefox/NoScript/Adblocker Suite.
I do the same thing. Chrome is really nice and slick, but the lack of ad-blocking and extensions is a deal breaker for me. I've tried the SRM Iron browser port of it, which adds a little, but not enough!
 Midgardsormr.Pyrmonkey
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Pyrmonkey
By Midgardsormr.Pyrmonkey 2009-06-03 22:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much firefox for me, the only time I use IE anymore is for intraweb sites that won't work otherwise, although we have a couple that don't work with IE, so then we use firefox.

It's the ability to customize that keeps me in FF. Simple and clean, or all kinds of extra goodies everywhere, I like the freedom.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-06-03 23:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

IE - Windows death trap... there's no access to it on my computer.

Firefox - with AdBlock Plus and NoScript, loads pages faster and without the pesky ads.

Chrome - besides the no plugins, its pretty simple, just like Firefox. But also like Firefox, it's a RAM hog. I had Cursive as my font style for Chrome.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-04 11:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

bump, and topic updated in OP. Windows 7, go!
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-06 21:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

One last shot for this sad, sad thread. lol Palm Pre was released today, which is touted as the iPhone killer. Did you buy one? Consider it? If so or if not, why?

I'm still holding out for an iphone, but will probably wait until the next model release, whenever that may be. Apple is too notorious for buyer's remorse for me to jump on this late in the game. :<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-06 22:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Didn't they label numerous devices in the past the "iphone killer"? I'm too poor to buy most of these, I have an Itouch by way of random, it serves me well enough. (free wifi yes please)

Maybe there's not enough geeks on the forums here Caiyuo D:
A terrible state of geek affairs, I know, Bart, but considering there was no guarantee in the first place I shouldn't be surprised. lol I didn't want to keep bumping a thread that's not going anywhere, so this was my last ditch effort. >.o

Anyway, yeah, lots of stuff was suppose to have been the iphone killer, but the same goes for google killers, which are usually just a lot of hype because the claim itself will sell phones!