Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Quick Vista Question
Quick Vista Question
 Asura.Kuji
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Kuji88
By Asura.Kuji 2009-05-31 14:10:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I installed ffxi and did the damn 7 hour version update again. After that I found out i need to install the PlayOnline vista compatability pack...Do i need to reinstall ffxi completely after this download!? please nnnoooo
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-05-31 14:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I don't think you need to, so /heartattack over e_e
PoL and FFXI are two different programs ;)
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-31 14:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I don't know...I made sure to install the Vista version of POL before hand, and never even tried the other way around.

All you can do is try it...uninstall the old version of POL, install the Vista compatible version, and see if it launches and runs. If not, you know what you gotta do...and if that's the case, sorry. :(
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-05-31 14:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuji said:
I installed ffxi and did the damn 7 hour version update again. After that I found out i need to install the PlayOnline vista compatability pack...Do i need to reinstall ffxi completely after this download!? please nnnoooo
Here you are:

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/vista01.html?pageID=media

Follow the instructions on the page which should address any questions you have. Essentially this is just a vista-specific version of POL, so you'll need to uninstall the regular version of POL (not FFXI), then install the version you find from following the link. Pretty painless, shouldn't take long. Goodluck!

Yo Milla! lol
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 00:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

ya i already (or just) did the POL for vista update it took 2+ hours. Sadly the same problem continues...Its once i log in to my character it shuts down. The famous "checking online for solutions" small window pops up and the program is shutdown... any ideas? I dont think it would be ports..
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 01:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Specifically it says: PlayOnline Viewer has stopped working.

........When will there be a game that I can just install and play?! I already paid so any help asap is appreciated
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-06-01 01:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Read the POL page. You have to uninstall everything and start from scratch with the Vista POL installer.

Back up your ROM folders before uninstalling and restore them after you've installed from disk, this will save you several hours of patching.
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 01:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

how? lol sorry im incompetent
 Titan.Prefalin
Server: Titan
user: Prefalin
By Titan.Prefalin 2009-06-01 01:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well for one i detest vista c.c big virus ever made. . .but i had the same problem but if you have FF installed already without the vista POL i'd try uninstalling and then installing the POL vista then sadly FF again (yay 7hr update) but if you still get that you may have to adjust the windows security (ripped windows security off my comp that god) to allow it or something not entirely sure or you may just have to restart. hard for me to say really :\ also i made my own version of vista bug free but only problem with it is my FF skips but atleast its not microsoft's vista but that's besides the point :x
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 01:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

and can I just use the same disc I have used or is there something else i need from SE....damn *** just make it all compatible!
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 01:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

just need to know how to back up so I dont have to do a 7 hour update again i geuss...that is of course if theres no other way
 Titan.Prefalin
By Titan.Prefalin 2009-06-01 01:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuji said:
and can I just use the same disc I have used or is there something else i need from SE....damn *** just make it all compatible!

to remove all of FF go to start menu and select control panel then add/remove programs (or programs and features) and uninstall Final Fantasy XI and any expansions along with Tetra Master and POL then after that's done install the Vista POL from SE then reinstall your FF stuff as for the back up i didn't bother to do it because it slipped my mind at the moment
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 01:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

i protest doing the reinstall until there is a way around the 7 hour update and it is explained haha
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-06-01 01:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Go to [drive]:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\
2. Copy all the folders that say 'ROM' somewhere else on the disk. [don't copy anything else, the other files/folder range from unnecessary to 'will break the reinstall']
3. Uninstall everything.
4. Reinstall everything.
5. Copy the ROM folders back.
6. Patch. [will re-check all files, might re-download some]
7. ???
8. Profit.

If you have any other questions you're probably better off waiting 7 hours.
 Titan.Prefalin
By Titan.Prefalin 2009-06-01 01:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuji said:
i protest doing the reinstall until there is a way around the 7 hour update and it is explained haha

you prob just use the back up program if your comp came with one that backs everything up onto a CD or something can probably find it on google c.c google saved me a lot of trouble doing things. . .
Sammitch said:
2. Copy all the folders that say 'ROM' somewhere else on the disk.
3. Uninstall everything.
4. Reinstall everything.
7. ???
8. Profit.

that works too
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-01 01:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

By copy them to somewhere else on the disk you mean on to the actual disc that im reinstalling FFXI with or disc like hard drive or somewhere else on my comp
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2009-06-01 01:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:

Yo Milla! lol

Cow~Yoo <3

And by copying the Rom folders elsewhere, he means to put them in another place on your computer. Once you're finished with the CD part of the install, put them back where you got them! (This path varies from PC to PC). It's all there (thanks to Sammitch)
 Hades.Havok
Server: Hades
user: havoks
By Hades.Havok 2009-06-01 01:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

don't know if you have figured out your problem, but when i first went to vista i couldn't log into my characters either, had problems with full screen mode, clicked windowed mode in config. and problem solved ^^; don't know if you have tried that yet
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-01 10:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

As of reading this (http://wiki.windower.net/guides/vista_guide) if you've got Vista SP1 installed then the version of POL wouldn't even be an issue. The guide is for Windower, but still addresses FFXI/Vista issues, so I guess the big question would be if UAC is enabled? It's the security feature turned on by default in Vista that also uses Secure Desktop (the giant black screen) that interrupts programs from starting.
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-02 00:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

ok So I reinstalled PoL through the SE link. I then copied the ROM, ROM1,2..and so forth to another spot. Uninstalled FFXI. Reinstalled FFXI. Renamed the ROM files that came with the install to .bak. Reinserted the old ROM files to the FFXI folder. Disabled UAC (did that before all of this). Now PoL shuts down at the part where you get your PoL mail. It used to shut down when I log in to my character to Asura...WhAtS GoInG On! Im so sick of these issues I just wana play...
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-02 02:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: I deleted that last post and this is the new scoop. I got the update finished. Now when i get to the Select Character screen some parts are flashing black (which i read as a vista issue that I shoulda fixed with the vidta PoL update). Then I clicked Kuji and it shutdown again...

I reinstalled everything and used the Vista PoL given to me from the SE link...
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2009-06-02 02:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:
2. Copy all the folders that say 'ROM' somewhere else on the disk. [don't copy anything else, the other files/folder range from unnecessary to 'will break the reinstall']
3. Uninstall everything.
4. Reinstall everything.
7. ???
8. Profit.

This should help.

I upgraded to Vista with FF installed on XP and only DLed the 'updated' POL thing and installed that. Never had any problems since.. :(
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-02 02:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I did all that and I still get PoL shut down when im in the game screen. I also noticed that some things like mountains ect are flashing black...havent gotten to see in game yet but im sure its doin it there too.
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-02 03:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

are there any ideas out there im down to try anything i just wana play again! (thanks for the help btw)
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-02 13:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I did notice that the ROM trick worked, thanks alot for that! but not I just gota get PoL to not shut down. Btw its Vista Business but i dont think thatll make any difference 32 bit. And yes i have played ffxi on this computer for my whole carrer when I was on XP
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-02 13:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, it's been days...if you woulda just deleted everything and started over it would be fixed by now.

Just completely uninstall, install vista compatible PoL, and install FFXI according to the instructions on PoL's web site. It'll work fine, and not involve all the file check backup crap...
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-02 14:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I did download the vista PoL and uninstalled/reinstalled everything... I am and have been trying to get ahold of tech support on all three levels. Geuss I could try again to reinstall cuz itll probably take the same amount of time to get a tech guy
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-02 14:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Kuji said:
I did download the vista PoL and uninstalled/reinstalled everything... I am and have been trying to get ahold of tech support on all three levels. Geuss I could try again to reinstall cuz itll probably take the same amount of time to get a tech guy

Oh, I apologize, I didn't see your post where you said you reinstalled everything from scratch. All your drivers are up to date, correct? Vid card specifically? Outside of that, if you disabled UAC, I have no clue. My install of FFXI on Vista 64 works fine. Tech support may be your only option...

Shitty option, I agree, but yeah, no idea if you've already done all that...
[+]
 Asura.Kuji
By Asura.Kuji 2009-06-03 23:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

*** ***damnit! "SiS Mirage 2 Graphics Card is not compatible with vista" !!!!!#$%^&*(!!! im gona beat on my computer like the guy from the headshot video this is garbage. I charged it to my card, did like 4 days of troubleshooting, bugged all of you... sorry im really annoyed and pissed. All i wana do is kill a couple of puddings